Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

i refuse to believe square gave that the green light

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

HGH posted:

and they're making an even shittier looking "sequel" that's an online game?

Also the sequel has Benjamin change his name to his Japanese name, as a plot point.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

GulagDolls posted:

Also, this.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Final Fantasy 6 HD on iOS, and the still-broken The World Ends With You port.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
One worked once, the other is way less of a war crime than this thing.

(I like MQ more than FF6, spoilers)

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
It is official. Apparently it was a free RPGMaker fangame, then SE took it down, then let them actually sell it. But that Chrono Trigger 3d game? Noooope, way too much of a threat, clearly.

And just to rub salt in the wound, googling this led me to find a Japanese phone only remake of the European Mystic Quest (Seiken Densestsu) for Gameboy, and it actually looks ok!

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

HGH posted:

It is official. Apparently it was a free RPGMaker fangame, then SE took it down, then let them actually sell it. But that Chrono Trigger 3d game? Noooope, way too much of a threat, clearly.

And just to rub salt in the wound, googling this led me to find a Japanese phone only remake of the European Mystic Quest (Seiken Densestsu) for Gameboy, and it actually looks ok!

Isn't that Final fantasy adventure? They remade the game for gba sometime in the early 2000s.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

Bleusilences posted:

Isn't that Final fantasy adventure? They remade the game for gba sometime in the early 2000s.

it was the first Seiken Densetsu game (secret of mana series) but in the west they called it Final Fantasy Adventure because they didn't want to risk bringing over a new IP so they named it after a successful one.

Also Mystic Quest 2 is going to be a thing and it's a subscription based MMO.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Bleusilences posted:

From Google:

quote:

Final Fantasy Adventure, originally released in Japan as Seiken Densetsu: Final Fantasy Gaiden, and later released in Europe as Mystic Quest, is a Final Fantasy spinoff and the first game in the Mana series.
And then they made it Sword of Mana for the GBA version. Yeah, bit confusing.
Anyway I enjoyed the GBA remake but it felt like it handled a bit differently. I think they dropped some elements? And I mentioned the mobile port cause it looks like a competent one for once.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

HGH posted:

The Chrono Trigger 3D game was not a remake. It was specific scenes made in their own engine that they were trying to use as a selling point for the engine. it was not, nor was it ever intended to be, a full remake.

Nellistos
Mar 2, 2013

Prism posted:

As you said, the Orb of Truth will reveal a demonic wall.

Vague spoilers: When you're facing the right place, the wall you need to use it on will glow. Use the Orb of Truth there. Face walls and you'll find it eventually.

More specific spoilers: It's on the first floor of the Labyrinth, not that far from the entrance. You'll have to fight a Grimwall. This will get you into the Cave of Truth (I assume it's Strength and Courage you've been to before). It has another use later, inside the Cave of Truth, but since you're playing blind, I'll leave it at that... good luck!

Took my time with this one ( Shining in the Darkness ), finally finished it. What a nice little game.
Having a home computer back in nineties instead of a console, hadn't had the chance to give them a shot.
Visiting them now is fascinating.

Anything i should know before starting Shining Force 1?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Reiterpallasch posted:

Not to say that the new Langrisser isn't shaping up to be an amazing trainwreck, but you guys have seen the other concept art for the old Langrisser games, right?
Yeah it could get bad at times but this stuff went off the deep end several previews ago.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

GulagDolls posted:

loving believe it. I'm 100% positive this is part of their new push with letting independent developers handle their abandoned properties. Square Enix is so desperate for money that they literally want people to do 100% of the development with 0% financial support.

I'm all for third party studios doing revivals. It has resulted in some great games like last year's Strider and Bionic Commando Redux. But there is no quality control here. It is pitch a concept for approval, make a kickstarter, give us your money while we tell you what to do.

e: Jeeze, I didn't even realize Square Enix Collective has been a thing for a while. But now they've come out and said they want you to actually rework their dead properties.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Feb 24, 2015

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I suspect they are probably losing money in that venture actually.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

al-azad posted:

Square Enix is so desperate for money that they literally want people to do 100% of the development with 0% financial support.

Please, that's not fair.

They take a cut of your crowdfunding upfront, so it's more like -5% financial support.

Snyderman
Feb 23, 2005

Nellistos posted:

Took my time with this one ( Shining in the Darkness ), finally finished it. What a nice little game.
Having a home computer back in nineties instead of a console, hadn't had the chance to give them a shot.
Visiting them now is fascinating.

Anything i should know before starting Shining Force 1?

Shining Force 1 was one of the first games I played when I was a wee lad, so long post incoming!

Here is a "hidden item/character FAQ"

http://www.gamefaqs.com/genesis/563340-shining-force/faqs/63031

It's essentially a quick reference to making sure you don't miss characters, but watch out for a few generic 90s fantasy plot spoilers. You don't need to check it that often and it's not a big deal if you miss a few, but there's some really awesome characters you can get. There's even the amazingly terrible novelty character Jogurt (a helmeted hamster), with all stats at 1 (can't level up past 1), does 1 damage, but killing enemies with him drops Jogurt Rings that makes other party members look like him.

The GBA version is quite a bit easier, and despite some quality of life improvements, it's not strictly better. The pace of the GBA version is a touch faster, some 'battle challenges' for bonus items, there's some redone art (opinions vary, and even though I prefer the original I don't hate the new one), a few new characters, a run button in town, some tweaked stats, etc. The music is worse IMO, but I love that crappy FM chip in the Genesis. It also adds in a card collecting mechanic and a related card collecting character, but it doesn't add much. The game gets harder on future New Game+ playthroughs, but it's a long enough game and the change is incremental enough that's it hard to tell until you beat it a few times, which is unlikely unless you love it. I prefer the Genesis version, but I don't have a personal issue with remakes.

There's a post here by Phexar about it about 2/3 down the page discussing it in full detail: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthread.php?12198-Shining-Force-Genesis-vs-GBA

The original Genesis game (the one I've played the most) isn't that hard, and the AI is still kind of single minded (dogpile the hero!). Still, there's one or two bottleneck battles, the most notable of which is the circus battle somewhat early on which contains a lot of hard hitting enemies relative to your force and can be a pain if you aren't prepared for it. There's really not much need to grind in general though, despite a few tough battles here and there. If you're intent on grinding though, you can always Egress out and restart the battle for more easy EXP. Another thing, negative status effects aren't particularly useful or common on either side, but the positive ones are pretty good. Like Shining in the Darkness, the stats here are fairly straightforward so it tends to turn into a damage war more than anything.

The RNG for level ups in Shining Force 1 is weird in that it's very possible to get nominal level ups where you gain no stats whatsoever or maybe 1HP and nothing else. If you're an autist you can reset (or use save states just before the level gain), but in general don't bother unless the level up is truly terrible. You can start promoting your characters at level 10, but you can also wait until level 20 so their base stats grow before transitioning back to level 1 in the new promoted class. It's debatable how necessary this is, so my suggestion is just to start promoting when you get to towns that have better gear that you can't equip or you're running into a roadblock. It does matter a tiny bit for speeding up the acquisition of spells for spellcasters though.

Swiped this from a guide, your first spell caster Tao's spell list:

Tao
BLAZE <> L4 L12 L20
BOOST L27
DISPEL L16
SLEEP L8

Note that "level 27" means if you promote at 10, you have to wait until 17 promoted until you get it, versus waiting until 20 means level 7 promoted.

Battles are also a lot more forgiving than say Fire Emblem (up until Awakening). Characters that die in battle are available the next battle, so there's relatively little consequence. Your main character dying is the Dragon Quest model IIRC, you lose half your gold but retain your equipment/levels and start back in town rather than a Game Over.

I know that the Shining series has lost a lot of goodwill over the years, what with the entire series post Shining Force III: Episode 1 turning into some combination of obtuse, Japanese only, or mediocre games. A lot of people retroactively say that the Shining Force games were only good because there wasn't anything like them at the time and aren't that good now that Fire Emblem is popular in the states. But they certainly had a good thing going in the Genesis days. The cohesive music/art/UI/mechanics, the emphasis on simplicity through the icons menus, reduced emphasis on stats and smaller inventories really streamlined them compared to other games in the genre. I find it strange that so many people dismissed the story mode in Etrian Odyssey Untold (despite it containing classic mode), I really liked having a pre-determined party in Shining in the Darkness to cut out some of the guesswork and to play a game that was designed with a particular party composition in mind. It made a fairly gentle entry into the dungeon crawler genre for me anyway. Even now, 20 odd years later I can't think of very many games outside of Shining Force I/II that combine tradition town exploration with strategy RPG battles. I also like that the games can provide a decent challenge, but the odds never feel too unfairly stacked against the player, and the game mechanics can also be broken wide open if you know what you're doing.

Snyderman fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Feb 24, 2015

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Did Growlanser go anywhere good after 3?

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
I really like Wayfarer of Time, it's the only one I've played actually

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

nuru posted:

Did Growlanser go anywhere good after 3?

Wayfarer of Time on PSP is the peak of the series, imho. I didn't really like a lot of the changes in V (although it's not a bad game), and I haven't played VI which allegedly plays better than V.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
So how the hell do I beat Disciple Lorithia from Xenoblade Chronicles? I switched my party to Melia, Riki, and Sharla.

EDIT- Never mind. I beat her by only taking out the Primo and Secondary Novas. I just left the rest and kept attacking Lorithia. After following that strategy she wasn't that difficult with a level 72 team.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Feb 25, 2015

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Heavy neutrino posted:

Wayfarer of Time on PSP is the peak of the series, imho. I didn't really like a lot of the changes in V (although it's not a bad game), and I haven't played VI which allegedly plays better than V.

I don't know if I'd call it the peak (I like Growlanser 3 a lot, and it took me forever to finish Wayfarer of Time - it goes on a long time) but it's definitely up there and worth playing.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
How has Nintendo not shut this down?

http://www.mother4game.com/

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Rascyc posted:

Nintendo's never given a poo poo about fan games, so long as they aren't monetized. It's partly why there's so many Super Mario hacks in the wild.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I think the biggest thing for Nintendo is passing your game off as something official. They've axed some Pokemon games for this reason. I'd say Mother 4 is far under their radar because the Mother series probably has little value to them.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

al-azad posted:

I think the biggest thing for Nintendo is passing your game off as something official. They've axed some Pokemon games for this reason. I'd say Mother 4 is far under their radar because the Mother series probably has little value to them.

Counterpoint, the Dendy still existed and had games made for it when the n64 was a thing.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

The Taint Reaper posted:

Counterpoint, the Dendy still existed and had games made for it when the n64 was a thing.

Nintendo understood that if Russians won't even pay for real heroin, they definitely won't pay for real Nintendo games.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
I'm particularly sure why they would care too much about a fangame that's free and not passing itself off as official or anything. And it's miles better looking then that official Mystic Quest game.

I have too much time on my hands, so if you want more Nintendo opinion on fanworks I dug up before:

70th Annual General Meeting of Shareholders - Question 14 (2006)
NoA FAQ - May I use Nintendo games/music/graphics/web site contents?
Probably the most relevant to fan games, the rest are more video/artwork/music specific.

Nintendo Creator Program for Youtube (2015)
Nintendo Content Whitelist for videos
Nintendo Joins Nico Nico Douga's Creative Endorsement System (2014)
Note: Most articles about this assumed this was a general acceptance of all fanwork, but they were specifically referring to the Creative Endorsement System, so only on Nico Nico.

Nico Nico's page on the Creative Endorsement System (Japanese)
Note: Since the Creative Endorsement System is a Dwango program, it doesn't have the same shortfall as the Youtube version where an entire channel needs to be Nintendo content.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Really the thing that Nintendo hates with the burning passion of a thousand suns are emulators and imports. A couple of long running ROM sites I won't bother listing (but are the very first things whenever you search for ROMs) actually took down a lot of GBA stuff.

I think the war against imports are dumb but I understand Nintendo's positions on emulators considering they sell 30 year old individual games for $8.

Nellistos
Mar 2, 2013

Snyderman posted:

Shining Force 1 was one of the first games I played when I was a wee lad, so long post incoming!

wow.

Thank you. I am going to play it on Genesis, just picked up a used copy. And yes, i love the FM chip too.
I want to avoid spoilers i general but now that i know about the hamster lad, maybe i should make room for some exceptions.
I really liked the grinding in SITD and it is good to hear that you can grind by egressing out of battles. Not going to reload on level ups though.

The circus battle, hm.. Last time i started playing it on steam, this is where i had given up. But it was not a serious play. As of late, i use backloggery and tend to focus on 2-3 games until they are done or nulled, given that sufficient time is dedicated to them.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

al-azad posted:

Really the thing that Nintendo hates with the burning passion of a thousand suns are emulators and imports. A couple of long running ROM sites I won't bother listing (but are the very first things whenever you search for ROMs) actually took down a lot of GBA stuff.

I think the war against imports are dumb but I understand Nintendo's positions on emulators considering they sell 30 year old individual games for $8.

They only started doing that recently. They've hated both of those things long before the Eshop was a desperate idea brought to the board room floor about how to figure out this internet thing everyone was now using in their video game distribution.

Still have no idea why importing is a bad thing when it was sadly the only way to make parts of the company notice they wanted those products around the globe though.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Rascyc posted:

They just released a gameplay trailer for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qtQWUF6-Co

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Kild posted:

Man everything about this looks cool but I dread dread dread the actual writing for the game.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Kild posted:

That looks professional as gently caress.

Snyderman
Feb 23, 2005

Nellistos posted:

wow.

Thank you. I am going to play it on Genesis, just picked up a used copy. And yes, i love the FM chip too.
I want to avoid spoilers i general but now that i know about the hamster lad, maybe i should make room for some exceptions.
I really liked the grinding in SITD and it is good to hear that you can grind by egressing out of battles. Not going to reload on level ups though.

The circus battle, hm.. Last time i started playing it on steam, this is where i had given up. But it was not a serious play. As of late, i use backloggery and tend to focus on 2-3 games until they are done or nulled, given that sufficient time is dedicated to them.

I think the guide avoids mentioning anyone by name until they're recruitable, just number, but I meant spoilers like "joins after your castle is attacked". Jogurt sucks certainly and is a fun novelty character but he has a few small steps towards recruitment that are easily missable. That said you can bench him and anyone else instantly and just have him in the force to chat with occasionally. You can recruit everyone with no concerns about your roster size.

I forgot to mention: there's a few late bloomers on the team (Ken and Khris come to mind, start kind of bad but get super good.), but in general use who seems cool or helpful rather than worrying about min maxing. Also don't promote everyone at once, space it out a tiny bit. The hit in stats can make that promoted battle a pain. Or at least that's how I remember it.

I hope you get around to Shining Force II. But keep in mind there's a lot more missable things in that game (namely mithril for forging late game weapons) and that game gives you at least two near TG Cid levels of broken characters on the force that join by default without any extra steps, not including Slade who is definitely awesome but a real late bloomer. SFII is pretty easy on Normal and the difficulty in order goes: Normal, Hard, Ouch, Super. On the menu ouch/super are reversed but in reality Super is hardest.

Snyderman fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Feb 25, 2015

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Crabtree posted:

They only started doing that recently. They've hated both of those things long before the Eshop was a desperate idea brought to the board room floor about how to figure out this internet thing everyone was now using in their video game distribution.

Still have no idea why importing is a bad thing when it was sadly the only way to make parts of the company notice they wanted those products around the globe though.

Nintendo has been re-releasing old games for absurd prices for years. Instead of putting a new, original Mario title on GBA they did the Super Mario Advance ports. You could buy their e-reader cards to unlock NES games and the awful NES Classics line was the reason Wild World didn't have NES games in it. And of course e-shop came out a few years later with Wii and Nintendo has been struggling to release their massive catalog in a timely fashion.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Wow, Tales of Symphonia started off dark in the stock "burn the home village" section. :stare: It's like I'm playing DDS2 again. Will I have to trick some guard by mixing poison into his favourite cans of human flesh eventually?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

GulagDolls posted:

Good news, care of The GIA and Reddit: it seems very unlikely they did.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
No but you will have to hand cuff a dude cause he is so strong he could crack the planet with his fists.

So you get his boots instead.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

SelenicMartian posted:

Wow, Tales of Symphonia started off dark in the stock "burn the home village" section. :stare: It's like I'm playing DDS2 again. Will I have to trick some guard by mixing poison into his favourite cans of human flesh eventually?

No, but you will learn a Very Important Lesson about racism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

SelenicMartian posted:

Home village burned down is RPG Origin Trope #17. It shouldn't surprise you.