Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
I only learned my high school GPA once I had to start applying for colleges 10 years later. A bunch of them required a high school transcript, so I called up my school (the receptionist was still working there) and had them send copies to the schools I requested. I also had them send a copy to me just for curiosity's sake. Down at the bottom was my GPA: 2.1
Yowza

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

My transcript was at a different high school since mine has since closed in the massive clusterfuck that is the district's restructuring. It seemed really stupid that they wanted my high school transcript when I transferred it since I already had an associates, but then again they wanted my worthless CCAF too, WTF.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Deathy McDeath posted:

I only learned my high school GPA once I had to start applying for colleges 10 years later. A bunch of them required a high school transcript, so I called up my school (the receptionist was still working there)

I can't decide if having the same cake go nowhere job for 10+ years is a good or bad thing.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Any job is better than no job just about, depending on which state you live in.

Could be like me, a 4 year acquisition logistics management intern who flew UAVs for 3 years, after being offered that position, only to get slammed back into sustainment logistics in your 4th year and told you have to finish the 3+ years of training needed to be at a journeyman level proficiency or you won't graduate. All after you provide proof, in writing, that you weren't supposed to go back into logistics after relocating to fly/train UAVs.

Good times. drat good times.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

Fucitol posted:

nobody gives a gently caress about about anyone's test scores in the military unless the test was to see how close the average dumb gently caress can withstand a nuclear blast.

I just got the top grade in a course where I got drunk every night and I'm pretty much a high functioning retard. If you can't be smart in the real world, join the military and be slightly less dumb than the people around you (plus get laid).

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

iyaayas01 posted:

lol

based on your family, you apparently made the correct life decision by enlisting

It got me an ROTC scholarship and I commissioned into the army after college

Which is about the only thing dumber than enlisting

new friend from school
May 19, 2008

by Azathoth

Deathy McDeath posted:

I only learned my high school GPA once I had to start applying for colleges 10 years later. A bunch of them required a high school transcript, so I called up my school (the receptionist was still working there) and had them send copies to the schools I requested. I also had them send a copy to me just for curiosity's sake. Down at the bottom was my GPA: 2.1
Yowza

Same, except only one college asked for it, and mine was 1.8. That one college was the only one to reject me. I guess they though that sweet GI bill :20bux: is too risky coming from someone who did poorly in HS almost 10 years ago. Mind you, I already had an AA with a 3.5 GPA at the time of application.
My ASVAB was 96, ACT 32, and I'm currently finishing up business school with 3.5 and I'm in an honors society.
I guess what I'm saying is gently caress UIC.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

My asvab score was 31

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

Fart Sandwiches posted:

I can't decide if having the same cake go nowhere job for 10+ years is a good or bad thing.

Considering where she works, she is going to get an awesome retirement package from the government when she retires that in no way compares with the job she's held all these years.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer
There was a young gentleman enlisting with me who scored a 19 on his asvab and had to be waivered in.

2 days before we were supposed to go to meps to do the swear-in and paperwork train, he got caught boosting stereo's out of new cars at a dealership 2 blocks down from the recruiters office.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

LCL-Dead posted:

There was a young gentleman enlisting with me who scored a 19 on his asvab and had to be waivered in.

2 days before we were supposed to go to meps to do the swear-in and paperwork train, he got caught boosting stereo's out of new cars at a dealership 2 blocks down from the recruiters office.

did he get a waiver for that too?

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

ded posted:

At sentencing the judge gave him the choice of jail or army.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

ded posted:

It wouldn't have surprised me. This was back in 2005 during the surge/build-up so they were taking anyone, including me, a high school drop-out with a GED. I could run, shoot and scored higher on the asvab than anyone had in quite awhile.

That only serves to make me feel bad for the place I came from, but gently caress that place.. shithole state of Maryland. (I lived in Southern MD, St. Mary's County)

Fart Sandwiches posted:

At sentencing the judge gave him the choice of jail or army.

Nah, his rear end went straight to jail, tried as an adult because he was found to have been part of a larger chain of thefts that totaled up to something like 800k worth of stolen stereo equipment. His poor dumb rear end only got paid about 10k total for all of the work over a 2 year period though.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
too bad, he probably wouldve fit right in at the motor t pool

Ptolemaeus
Jan 17, 2009
thread sucks.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer
I once stumbled across an MLRS guy in Fallujah who had no loving clue what a para saw was.

He jumped out of a truck at the internet center, where I was sitting down for a smoke at a picnic table, with my saw resting on a grip pod on the table in front of me. (Had removed the integrated bipod)

My saw was a para with the twisting collapsible stock (The original one, I think, none of this M4 buttstock on a saw fuckery) a rail kit, an eotech/surefire/peq2 and a nutsuck.

He comes swaggering towards me, M4, underslung 203 with laser designator/range finder thingy on it, CCO with magnifier, double mag clamp, easily 12+ 40mm grenade pouches across the weak side of his flak, 12 mags on the right side in triple mag pouches, thigh rigs with more mag pouches (no mags), dump pouches.. gently caress, this kid could have been Rambo for all I knew but there was one telling detail about him that threw it all off.

He was too clean. His flak was pristine, as was his rifle, as were his utilities and his boots. Dude never left the wire. I didn't find that out though until after a 5 minute conversation where I attempted to prove to him that the M249 para sitting on the table in front of me was indeed a standard issue light machine gun in 'Murica's great military.

------------------------

There was also a time we got stuck on shitter security duty after one of our idiots hit a Shiek's daughter with a warning shot ricochet and, as we're pulling into the mayor's complex in Fallujah, I notice a Marine with a bunch of tic marks along the cat-eye band on his helmet. After we're inside and secure I make a point of seeking him out to figure out what the gently caress he's marking off on his helmet and his answer was the greatest thing ever:

"It's how many convoy's I've been on." - Said with the most sincere voice possible while assuming the most badass pose possible. Many lulz were had at his expense.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Ptolemaeus posted:

thread sucks.

you suck

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Ptolemaeus posted:

thread sucks.

Your mom

terrez
Mar 20, 2012
i stapled a photocopy of my balls to the asvab scantron and got a 5000 gt score

quote:

Hi, I'm a DEPer for the USMC, finished MEPS last week, and have yet to pick my MOS. I'm going to boot camp in september and will be talking with my recruiter tomorrow about certain MOS's i may want. The only two i can really think of wanting to do is Infantry and only being an MP if I can be a dog handler. How hard is the competition in being a dog handler? Where is the place with the highest chance I will be deployed to if I go infantry? Not to belittle other 03xx jobs, but what are the easiest/hardest/most fun jobs in the Infantry MOS? And I'm open to other jobs, so long as i get deployed overseas or shipped somewhere that isn't in the US, any specific MOS's that aren't utterly poo poo and will get me shipped overseas literally anywhere?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Hope that guy likes getting stationed at some lovely marine base in the US.

terrez
Mar 20, 2012

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Is that how gate guards are born?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Are marine bases really named by just counting how many palm trees are on base?

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Cojawfee posted:

Are marine bases really named by just counting how many palm trees are on base?

Eh.. It depends.

Cojawfee posted:

:20bux: says Lejeune.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

There are good Marine bases? :iiam:

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

vulturesrow posted:

There are good Marine bases? :iiam:

Miramar is pretty great, imo

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer
I'll throw in another :10bux: that says he goes for an open contract.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
won't that mean 0300 most likely anyway

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Cole posted:

Not always. I came in on an 0300 contract because I didn't know what exact infantry MOS I wanted to shoot for.

An open contract has a chance to wind up anywhere and more often than not winds up in a service/support mos like Cooks or Admin. Especially with the drawdown going on right now I highly doubt an open contract would land someone in an 03XX mos.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

Cole posted:

No, gramma, people actually WANT infantry jobs.

Spacman
Mar 18, 2014

Ptolemaeus posted:

thread sucks.

I bet you were that fuckstick who decided clearing a misfire involved jamming the barrel into your groin and hammering the breech with your open palm...

USMC503
Jan 15, 2012

For satisfactory performance while under the effects of hostile enemy alcohol.

LCL-Dead posted:

I'll throw in another :10bux: that says he goes for an open contract.

The way that is worded (he is in DEP and went through MEPS) makes me think he already IS open contract.

The recruiter conned the gently caress out of that idiot. If he doesn't know his MOS field, that means he signed paperwork without one lol.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Looks better than Yuma.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Godholio posted:

Looks better than Yuma.

Having never set foot in Yuma I can assure you that you are wrong.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

vulturesrow posted:

Having never set foot in Yuma I can assure you that you are wrong.

He isn't. Palms isn't THAT bad. Yuma is "trailer trash and an MCAS"

new friend from school
May 19, 2008

by Azathoth

Booblord Zagats posted:

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Booblord Zagats posted:

I stand corrected then. It's hard to wrap my mind around "worse than 29 Palms."

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

Booblord Zagats posted:

No, it is. I spent four years in that blasted hellscape. Then I went to Miramar and regained my humanity.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Between the Salt-Free Drinking Water (I guess the salted drinking water stands got run out of town?) and that weird family fun center that turns into hood rat central at like 8pm or whatever, Yuma was a loving trip. Two of our people got tats at the shop across from the main gate for some loving reason, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Deathy McDeath posted:

No, it is. I spent four years in that blasted hellscape. Then I went to Miramar and regained my humanity.

I've only spent 60 days at either, but I hated Palms much less. Maybe for longer sentences it gets much worse