Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Rough Lobster posted:

She will in GITS

Do you really think that's going to be set in Japan with her playing a Japanese person? Cause if so I've got some news for you...and that news is welcome to Neo-New York!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

TheJoker138 posted:

Do you really think that's going to be set in Japan with her playing a Japanese person? Cause if so I've got some news for you...and that news is welcome to Neo-New York!

She'll be playing Neo New York too. It's Scarlet Johansons all the way down

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

TheJoker138 posted:

GITS will join Akira in the pile of live action films based on anime that will never be made.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Shoehead posted:

No like all composite shots and all Scarlet Johansen. Even as Storm

If she can pass for Russian/Japanese she can pass for an African goddess at this point.

Yeah, her playing a Russian sure was a huge stretch :crossarms:

And yeah, it's not like they're going to say she's Japanese in the GitS movie if that ever actually gets made.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

The Matrix already came out.

ShufflerZero
Mar 21, 2009

74: The Noir Title Recycling Project (Part 1 of 4, yikes!)

Black Angel

Body and Soul

To be fair the second film is a semi-remake as it has a "suggested by the original screenplay by" credit.

Borderline

Burglar

Crime Wave

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

axleblaze posted:

Yeah, her playing a Russian sure was a huge stretch :crossarms:

Do they ever even say she's a Russian national in the movies? Sure, her name is Russian, but she has zero accent. At this point I'm assuming she was an American born to Russian immigrants or something. She's not old enough to have worked for the KGB anymore, so that poo poo doesn't come into play.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
My point was more that even if they made her super Russian, there is no way that would be a stretch in any way and it was weird it was being taken as being the same as her playing Japanese.

Anyways, have some posters for the awesome movie The Forbidden Room

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

TheJoker138 posted:

Do they ever even say she's a Russian national in the movies? Sure, her name is Russian, but she has zero accent. At this point I'm assuming she was an American born to Russian immigrants or something. She's not old enough to have worked for the KGB anymore, so that poo poo doesn't come into play.

Captain America 2 confirms she's an ex-russian agent. Considering she's a super-spy, flawless accent isn't exactly hard to accept. (Hell, in Agent Carter, we see young girls being trained in the early version of the black widow program getting forced to watch American movies to perfect their accents)

axleblaze posted:

My point was more that even if they made her super Russian, there is no way that would be a stretch in any way

Considering Johansson is actually quite a lot Russian by her mother, yeah.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Feb 22, 2015

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

MikeJF posted:

Captain America 2 confirms she's an ex-russian agent. Considering she's a super-spy, flawless accent isn't exactly hard to accept. (Hell, in Agent Carter, we see young girls being trained in the early version of the black widow program getting forced to watch American movies to perfect their accents)

Russian Agent doesn't necessarily mean Russian national, though. But yeah, if Agent Carter is going over this (I need to catch up) that answers my question. Thanks.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

MikeJF posted:

Having ancestors in the Russian Empire is not really the same as having Russian ancestors, especially in the case of the perpetually discriminated against Jews. Not that this is in any way relevant to whether she can play one.

Sorta related to the current discussion, here are some posters for movies from the Danish comedy series 'Olsen Banden'/'The Olsen Gang'. The Soviet authorities interpreted the movies as being clearly anti-capitalist, which is not entirely wrong*, which meant they were apparently shown completely uncensored. The movies became really popular, which might have something to do with them being generally anti-authoritarian, though being funny probably helps.

*Though it's mostly focused on international capitalism and the erosive effects it has on national sovereignty, and less on capitalism in general I think.

Two Danish posters

and two Polish ones

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Having ancestors in the Russian Empire is not really the same as having Russian ancestors, especially in the case of the perpetually discriminated against Jews. Not that this is in any way relevant to whether she can play one.

Sorta related to the current discussion, here are some posters for movies from the Danish comedy series 'Olsen Banden'/'The Olsen Gang'. The Soviet authorities interpreted the movies as being clearly anti-capitalist, which is not entirely wrong*, which meant they were apparently shown completely uncensored. The movies became really popular, which might have something to do with them being generally anti-authoritarian, though being funny probably helps.

*Though it's mostly focused on international capitalism and the erosive effects it has on national sovereignty, and less on capitalism in general I think.

Two Danish posters

and two Polish ones

Hey, cool, this must be what the Swedish "Jönssonligan" / "The Jönsson Gang" is based on. Here, have some posters.

And then they rebooted it this year, I guess.

Oh yeah, and there were a bunch of films about them as kids too, for some reason.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

There was also a Norwegian version of the films:

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

MacheteZombie posted:

Did they really just combine Avengers and the show Grimm to make a knock-off movie? :psyduck:

Almost...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSct_lih9p8

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

"C'mon! Let's tune our weapons!"
Six Pack: The flicks played at my annual "Birthday Flicktacular" 12-hour friend-tormenting afternoon. (With help from a fellow birthday-er and cinema sadist)

Spandex. So much spandex.

Sweaty. So sweaty!

Still fun on a bun.

Blue lighting! Orange lighting! Dutch angles. SO MANY DUTCH ANGLES! (So little budget)

Lucio Fulci brings the five-alarm sleaze to end the night.

Al Nipper
May 7, 2008

by XyloJW

Star Man posted:

Is that the robot from Appleseed?

Bit late but the Chappie robot design and general concept seems derived from one of his earliest amateur shorts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTnxP7e7-YA

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Al Nipper posted:

Bit late but the Chappie robot design and general concept seems derived from one of his earliest amateur shorts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTnxP7e7-YA

I noticed too that on the Chappie robot, one of the various labels affixed to him has the words TetraVaal on it.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

TheJoker138 posted:

My favorite theory for how they'll explain it is that since GITS is set in a world where full-body cyberprosthesis is commonplace and famous people license their likenesses to cybernetics companies, they'll just say that Kusanagi is still Japanese, but just happens to be using a cyberbody literally based on ScarJo at the time.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

mr. stefan posted:

My favorite theory for how they'll explain it is that since GITS is set in a world where full-body cyberprosthesis is commonplace and famous people license their likenesses to cybernetics companies, they'll just say that Kusanagi is still Japanese, but just happens to be using a cyberbody literally based on ScarJo at the time.

Kusanagi is a transethnic tumblrite.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

mr. stefan posted:

In what world would a celebrity at all think that is worth the money?

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

Dr. Killjoy posted:

In what world would a celebrity at all think that is worth the money?

Probably in the same way that celebrity likenesses are commercialized today: by the their living heirs.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

mr. stefan posted:

I think the 1995 film already has a moment where Kusanagi sees someone with the same off the peg body as her and we're meant to feel momentary confusion about which one is "real". You could potentially go to some interesting places with that in a world where celebrity fashion trends extend to entire bodies.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Even if they manage to write around Scarlett Johansson being Scarlett Johansson, they'd have to populate the entire rest of the cast with Japanese or Hollywood-Japanese actors and jump through a lot of hoops for it to work on any level. They'd also have to persuade the suits that the film won't be a box office disaster with no whitebread American dudes in the cast.

So, it's gonna be New New York.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

I've also never once watched Ghost in the Shell and thought that the Asian setting was in any way important to the story, tone, atmosphere, themes or visuals. So... Just set it in America.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

B-but my sacred animes?!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

PriorMarcus posted:

I've also never once watched Ghost in the Shell and thought that the Asian setting was in any way important to the story, tone, atmosphere, themes or visuals. So... Just set it in America.

Everything "Asian" about it seems Asian by way of Blade Runner anyway.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

PriorMarcus posted:

I'm a huge opponent of Hollywood whitewashing but this is in-fact one case where it's not that big a loving deal. Akira? Yeah the whole Japanese setting is pretty drat important there. GitS? Part of what cyberpunk is all about is how we become a global monoculture and while having a "pretty white people" culture is boring and trite it's at least consistent with that ethos, although now it makes me want to see versions set all over the world like in like Rio De Janiero and some modern black African city like they did with The Office remakes. Ghost in the Shell: Dubai version could probably be pretty loving amazing.

Vintersorg posted:

B-but my sacred animes?!

This is what a lot of it boils down to. GitS was one of those ambassador animes that propped up weeaboo culture in the 90s. It was one of those VHSes in the back of Palmer Video that oozed style, quality animation, and had just enough substance behind Motoko Kusanagi's fanservice design to justify it as something other than the barely watchable dreck that makes up your average anime selection both back then and today. So it occupies that same weird fan slot reserved for things like The Dark Knight Returns where most of the fans haven't actually bothered to sit down and go through it in the last 5-10 years but was such an important piece of tastemaker media for them back when they were young that they cling to it's iconic moments like this weird bible for quality that should never be deviated from. Like yes those are important and influential works and there's a lot of quality to be had with them, but jesus go back and really experience them again they are not loving Tolstoy. Neil Gaiman's Sandman changed my life but when I went back to reread it this year I realized how loving basic I must have been for it to do that. It's ok to admit that!

mind the walrus fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Feb 24, 2015

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I want to see GitS Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Rio, or Chicago

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
It's whitewashing. And I don't give a gently caress about anime.

Scarlett Johansson at one time was a fan favorite actress, but she's essentially the female Ryan Reynolds now.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Echo Chamber posted:

No it's not.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Imagine I said something deep here...

Echo Chamber posted:

Scarlett Johansson at one time was a fan favorite actress, but she's essentially the female Ryan Reynolds now.

Maybe it's some new form of Canadian STD?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Echo Chamber posted:

No it isn't, as the original setting does not resemble anything in particular.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Echo Chamber posted:

Hah, what the hell. She's been doing incredible work recently.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Echo Chamber posted:

4/10 you're hitting some nice hot button topics but your bait is weak.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

morestuff posted:

Hah, what the hell. She's been doing incredible work recently.

Yeah, seriously. I mean I have the opposite reaction: I used to not like ScarJo at all but between Her, Under the Skin and even Captain America 2, she's been pretty drat fantastic lately.

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:
From the Marvel twitter account:

Hulk looks like he's dropping a deuce. But then again, he sort of looks like that all the time.

Meatwave fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Feb 24, 2015

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I am a gigantic sucker of the MCU's cock and the Avengers in general, but yeah this poster is really hammering home the potential for character saturation in AoU.

"All your old friends we could barely squeeze into the first one and did so mostly by making one of them evil for 2/3rds of the runtime, plus three new ones at least two of which are going to be evil for at least part of the movie!"

mind the walrus fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Feb 24, 2015

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Meatwave posted:

Hulk looks like he's dropping a deuce. But then again, he sort of looks like that all the time.

That's his secret.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I'm sorry I started this but I just really don't enjoy ScarJo. I'm suffering from Scarlet Johanson fatigue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Shoehead posted:

I'm sorry I started this but I just really don't enjoy ScarJo. I'm suffering from Scarlet Johanson fatigue

What's the last five films you've actually watched that she was in?