Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

being a zombie's not so bad
once you get used to it

Cyron posted:

just stop dog pileing on me.

Sure, man. Just get it through your head that Freedom of Speech =/= Freedom from Response.

And if you consider that dogpiling, you and every other insanely sensitive poo poo-slinging nerd boy who pulls this dumb stuff do not have 1/16th the balls needed to be a woman on the internet. But we all knew that.

Anyway, this thread's currently on its way to gasville, so it probably doesn't matter too much what you say at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot
I am 28 , i am not allow by my doctor to drive Due to my illness, i have to take meds every day or i go off the wall, i can't hold down a job. And yes i know it not as bad as you got on twitter.

Oh and you do have more balls then me. I am chickenshit i say that. I don't know how you handle the assholes online.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

This is a really weird meltdown.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
What the hell is going on here? :psyduck:

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Tarquinn posted:

What the hell is going on here? :psyduck:
Internet Critic Discussion Thread 3.0: 0 Days Since The Last Drama Bomb

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

I don't know which is a worse fate: To be genuinely mentally unstable or just pretending to be ironically for the attention of people you don't like talking to.

Luckily I'll never have to find out, because I am neither. I'm Jesus Christ himself!

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Cyron posted:

please i am sorry. I am begging you . I am mentally ill. I was not right when i attacked you. I was wrong and deserve that probation. just stop dog pileing on me.

Are you secretly the 2012 era meltdown Spoony?

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Cyron the secret is to stop posting for a long time, and when you start posting again do so on topic and do not talk about yourself or other posters at all. Never. You will never ever make yourself look better by talking about why you made an rear end of yourself. It will not happen if the reason is mental illness. It will not work if Jesus himself (Hbomberguy) told you to be an rear end in a top hat in a dream. Just stop being an rear end in a top hat and stop drawing attention to yourself.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
jesus dude.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Hey guys what's going o-:stare:

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The problem with being funny is that most people think that they are.

Also, do people really look at who they're quoting or posting to? The only people I notice are SMG if it's about Lacan and Dickeye because he used to go out to GBS to be reasonable like a hero and I learned about him that way. It makes things much easier to just post post post and treat the internet like the perfect utopia of shifting identities that the early 90s expected. gently caress web 2.0

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot
i am going to lurk for a long time. I am sorry everyone.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Huh.

Guess I'll go watch Kyle's newest video in the meanwhile.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Jack Gladney posted:

I have embraced my unfunniness and just do boring careposts most of the time.

quote:

Also, do people really look at who they're quoting or posting to? The only people I notice are SMG if it's about Lacan and Dickeye because he used to go out to GBS to be reasonable like a hero and I learned about him that way. It makes things much easier to just post post post and treat the internet like the perfect utopia of shifting identities that the early 90s expected. gently caress web 2.0

I notice Cyron's posts because of his terrible grammar and spelling mistakes. And HBG because of his cute doggy avatar and also usually his stuff is entertainingly insane.

I have no idea why anyone gives a poo poo what gibbis says about this thread, or about anything in particular. I'd really rather talk about internet video people- even stupid discussions like "Doug is a Bad Human for not having his finger on the pulse of tumblr despite being notoriously dumb in general."

On that note, I have been enjoying Kinamania's Dendy Chronicles, though his posture makes him look like some kind of horrible circus freak. Not helped by him being skinny as hell anyway. Dude's really good at showing off the complete batshit that is the Dendy Mario library without resorting to screaming at video games and/or boring skits. I'm hoping I don't run out of subbed episodes soon!

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
He'll also become next HBomber's most wanted for his propensity for gay jokes (also some really dated AVGN copycat stuff).

IMO he ran out of content rather quick and the (mostly non-translated, I think) stuff that's not a part of his main show is really loving boring, but the introduction to Dendy and the saga of Mario is fascinating and very funny on the strength of the material.

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

Does anyone know if the success of Geek and Sundry's Tabletop has led to other critic like shows focused on board games? If there was a group of people I liked/tolerated that just played interesting board games I would totally keep it on as background noise while working.

Like, there was some youtube show called Board with Life that was about people who play board games and their ZANY LIFE and I was thinking, look, these actors seem like pleasant people capable of being funny, can they skip the fiction and just play games instead? I just checked and it looks like they realized this too and they have lots of gameplay videos recently posted.

The exception to that is, of course, James Rolfe.

Any other good shows of people just playing and reviewing board games?

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Puppy Time posted:

On that note, I have been enjoying Kinamania's Dendy Chronicles, though his posture makes him look like some kind of horrible circus freak. Not helped by him being skinny as hell anyway. Dude's really good at showing off the complete batshit that is the Dendy Mario library without resorting to screaming at video games and/or boring skits. I'm hoping I don't run out of subbed episodes soon!

He was posted a good while back and somehow the entire presentation adds to the whole experience. It also helps that Kina actually bothers to go around stuff (Him dumping a broken as gently caress Mario rom and using a rom editor to skip odd parts comes to mind) and explain what's going on rather than squint and refer to developers as a bizarre blur really helps with this.

Dude also goes some hosed up wording about asian folk, but I'll just say "Ya I cringe sometimes at the stuff he says but it's more of a thing to consider rather than 100% damnation" here.

Kunster fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Feb 24, 2015

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Paladin posted:

Does anyone know if the success of Geek and Sundry's Tabletop has led to other critic like shows focused on board games? If there was a group of people I liked/tolerated that just played interesting board games I would totally keep it on as background noise while working.

Like, there was some youtube show called Board with Life that was about people who play board games and their ZANY LIFE and I was thinking, look, these actors seem like pleasant people capable of being funny, can they skip the fiction and just play games instead? I just checked and it looks like they realized this too and they have lots of gameplay videos recently posted.

They're all pretty much non-existent or horrible, afaik.

Spoony does board game reviews occasionally, but it's more weird old VHS boardgames etc., rather than current games.

Watch it Played is very instructional > entertainment, but there's nevertheless some actual play videos with great production values. It's also goon made!

Shut Up & Sit Down are some of the most popular reviewers right now and they do actual plays every once in a while (and try keep their consumer reviews entertaining). Try to skip to earlier videos Paul & Quinns made together, they're usually the best. However note that while these guys can be quite entertaining, take their actual critique with a pinch of salt - goons quite soured on lots of their dumb opinions.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Paladin posted:

http://www.shutupandsitdown.com/

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
Watch It Played is interesting because Rodney pointedly does not review games, because he feels that showing how a game goes and then letting you decide if it fits for your gaming group is more valuable. He usually posts a quick rules walkthrough, and then a series of videos where he goes through a whole game with his kids or friends and lets the viewers decide strategy for him at certain break points. They also do smaller showcases and Rodney has a little discussion show called Table Talkback on the side.

Rahdo is similar in that he'll walk through a game and then usually do a whole playthrough, but he also concludes with a short video on his opinion on the game.

Starlit Citadel is okay, but not very in-depth. They're very good for short and sweet reviews, where they quickly go through the rules, say what they like, say what they don't like, and then give a definitive recommendation.

Lichtenstein posted:

Watch it Played is very instructional > entertainment, but there's nevertheless some actual play videos with great production values. It's also goon made!

Whoah, really?

SkeletonHero fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Feb 24, 2015

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Kunster posted:

Dude also goes some hosed up wording about asian folk, but I'll just say "Ya I cringe sometimes at the stuff he says but it's more of a thing to consider rather than 100% damnation" here.

That's the attitude I take. Like I said, he's European.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Yeah, you can't exactly expect racial sensitivity from those people.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

If y'all fancy some reasoned non-GBS discussion we got some good threads over in the Book Barn. Just saying. We're serving coffee now.

:11tea: :) :coffee:

Josef K. Sourdust fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Feb 24, 2015

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

boom boom boom posted:

Yeah, you can't exactly expect racial sensitivity from those people.

I am European, if that's what you meant. I didn't say 'Russian' or "Eastern European" because that's another old European tradition that I do not like.

e: monstrous hypocrisy, that is.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Feb 24, 2015

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Hey now, we have standards. Standards that are mostly "scruff a good part of the awful poo poo we do to MENA folk under the rug and point on how nice we were to Eusébio", but still, standards. Sort of.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Cyron posted:

i am going to lurk for a long time. I am sorry everyone.
http://youtu.be/RwVFHf1HbdY

SkeletonHero posted:

Watch It Played is interesting because Rodney pointedly does not review games, because he feels that showing how a game goes and then letting you decide if it fits for your gaming group is more valuable. He usually posts a quick rules walkthrough, and then a series of videos where he goes through a whole game with his kids or friends and lets the viewers decide strategy for him at certain break points. They also do smaller showcases and Rodney has a little discussion show called Table Talkback on the side.

Rahdo is similar in that he'll walk through a game and then usually do a whole playthrough, but he also concludes with a short video on his opinion on the game.

Starlit Citadel is okay, but not very in-depth. They're very good for short and sweet reviews, where they quickly go through the rules, say what they like, say what they don't like, and then give a definitive recommendation.

Whoah, really?

So 2/3 of these are gimmicky LP ers. How fresh.

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Cyron posted:

I am 28 , i am not allow by my doctor to drive Due to my illness, i have to take meds every day or i go off the wall, i can't hold down a job. And yes i know it not as bad as you got on twitter.

For some reason I feel like this is accurate of most of the people who get really, really into internet critics.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

BobbyK posted:

For some reason I feel like this is accurate of most of the people who get really, really into internet critics.
That or really depressed like I was when I was really into internet critics. That's why I always have a soft spot for Linkara's videos because his were the ones that really helped me out when I was really down (that and Spoony)

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747

achillesforever6 posted:

That or really depressed like I was when I was really into internet critics. That's why I always have a soft spot for Linkara's videos because his were the ones that really helped me out when I was really down (that and Spoony)

I feel ya, I binged on AVGN back when I wanted to kill myself in college.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

I do recall some video about that particular phenomenon, connecting it some radio folk and a newscaster if I remember well.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Yeah, it was made by Echopapa/Cheapskate Reviews a while back. An interesting and good watch, really.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
People, people: too much information.

Mad Lupine
Feb 18, 2011

all the things you said
running through my head
Well that was interesting...

Colgate posted:

I'm looking for a recommendation on game critics, since I'm rather new to watching them. I've been watching ProJared for awhile, and I like the way he does things. Is there any more like his?

Going to recommend MechaGamezilla because he is funny. I will always recommend him whenever I get the chance.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

OldTennisCourt posted:

BrutalMoose and Caddicarus are both pretty similar in style.

I don't really like Caddicarus that much as his shtick kinda wears on me. I do like BrutalMoose though, his reviews are pretty chill.

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

~rero rero rero rero rero
Thank you! I tried looking at some of the other NormalBoots people, and PBG is alright, JonTron's bird is more entertaining than he is, and The Completionist is alright, but I'm not too fond of Greg so far (though I haven't watched much of them yet)

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Lichtenstein posted:

He'll also become next HBomber's most wanted for his propensity for gay jokes (also some really dated AVGN copycat stuff).

I haven't run into any of this or the stuff about Chinese people, other than mentions that the pirate stuff they got was from the PRC.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

An early sub on a video or two had "loving yellow chinks" and "faggots" and stuff like that, but I think Kina fixed that at some point.

PBG gets a lot of crap from being "too gimmicky", but otherwise he's harmless. Some of the criticism is understandable, but nothing too big. The whole "Oh My God he gets a lot of views and has an high energy approach to stuff how dare he" ordeal that I've heard a bunch about him leads to folk doing their LP/streams in a way to contradict which tends to lead to some real tests of endurance.

Kunster fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Feb 25, 2015

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Kunster posted:

"faggots"

Oh yeah, he definitely uses offensive slurs in Russian.

e: yeah, obviously I'm making his work rather unappealing, but if you can tolerate the cringe-worthy parts, which aren't too many, his work is a great exploration of gaming outside of the First World.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Feb 25, 2015

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Friend of mine introduced me to SU&SD when I was drunk and I think I said something lovely to them but otherwise they are the best...board game...reviewers...? Ever. I don't know any others beside Craig Stewart, the creator of the incredibly-obscure board game review show I'm 100% sure Graham Lineham saw before parodying them on IT Crowd:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqRT9uLeitI&t=237s
Best thing on youtube by far. Holy poo poo. Monopoly.
e:
It's okay, my child; I forgive them.

Jack Gladney posted:

This is a really good idea. Let's just take people at their ideas rather than association with their namesake. I try to do this but people's avatars keep acting as really good stand-ins for 'is smart' and 'posts in gbs'

Hbomberguy fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Feb 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Cyron posted:

i don't want to be bullied for talking about internet critics on the internet critics Thread.

• Locked thread