Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Butters usually doesn't like other dogs, but at the same time he very rarely gets confrontational about it. It's more that he doesn't stay around them too much.

That being said he absolutely loves people, and especially little kids. In particular there are two ~7 year old girls who live on our street that adore him. I will sometimes see them while out walking him and they will run from a wicked distance just to pet him. They even rang our doorbell on Sunday and asked if he could come out to play with them (we live right next to a little park), which was weird but also :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vibur
Apr 23, 2004

Sir Tonk posted:

They all do that.
This is the absolute troof.

This is Gizmo's default zonked-out position.

He doesn't have a problem with most dogs. Though, when dogs start playing rough at the dog park he tends to fuss at them and try to break them up. He wants everyone to play nice.

Now, that said, he doesn't care much for my mother Chihuahua but, then again, neither does anyone else.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
Hey look, it's Sherlock Longbottom:

Yes, Sherlock Longbottom is his official name, according to his AKC registration. We tried putting just Sherlock in there, but the website said he had to be Sherlock the 7th. We didn't much care for that, and since we were calling him Longbottom before we gave him a proper name, we just added that.

We just got him last Saturday, when he was 9 weeks old. It's been...interesting. I haven't had to deal with a puppy since I was in junior high...

Anyhow, the last 2 days we've been letting him take the stairs back up instead of carrying him. 2 flights. My wife started doing this because when she brought him in, he was squirming around a lot as though he wanted to do it himself...so she let him, and now I've been doing it too (consistency, and whatnot...). It's nice for us because it wears him out pretty good.

He makes it up just fine for the most part. But, today while coming back up I passed someone who said he has a 14 week old puppy, and HIS wife had found out that stairs are bad for a puppy's hips, and you're supposed to wait until they're bigger. He said he didn't believe it, but I can see how it could be an issue.

Naturally, I got back here and did some googling. And naturally I found a lot of opinions on both sides. There's some mumblings about if the dog is prone to hip dysplasia, then it's a Bad Thing. But, while Sherlock is a Corgi, his parents are OFA Excellent and OFA Good. I don't really know if that means anything, but it sure sounds good...at least, from what I can find it seems to be a good indicator of how healthy the puppy's hips are and will be.

Aside from that, it seems that it's mostly larger breeds where it's a problem...german shepherds, labs, etc.

My biggest concern is that as a Corgi, the long body will make him prone to back problems/injuries. Since the stairs are bigger than him, it takes some effort to climb them.

Is there any evidence to support this claim? Or is it just people being overcautious?

Culex
Jul 22, 2007

Crime sucks.
Yes, the long body and short legs make stairs (going down) dangerous, as well as jumping off of furniture. They land hard on their front legs, which puts stress up their chest and up into their spine, which can cause disc problems.

I haven't personally heard anything about going up on things being bad on hips, especially hips out of excellent/fair parentage. If it were me, I'd ask the vet their opinion on Up.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
Alright, so I knew this day would come. I think our puppy has learned how to herd.

On the way back in from outside, we let Sherlock walk down the hallway with us. He used to do it OK, and every day he seems to be getting better at walking on his leash. But the last day or two he's started getting in front of us and nipping at our feet. He started with my wife yesterday, and today he was doing it to me. I guess I'm not 100% sure that this is herding behavior, but it sure seems like it to me.

My response so far has been to just stop dead in my tracks and freeze for 5-10 seconds to let him calm down. I'm not sure if this is having any effect...it seems to stop him, but when I start walking again he'll continue after a few steps.

To be sure, this is very new behavior so we haven't had a long time to figure it out, but I want to try to get ahead of it before it becomes a bigger problem.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

DaveSauce posted:

My response so far has been to just stop dead in my tracks and freeze for 5-10 seconds to let him calm down. I'm not sure if this is having any effect...it seems to stop him, but when I start walking again he'll continue after a few steps.

I have no expertise on the subject, but isn't your reaction basically teaching him that what he's doing is working?

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

DaveSauce posted:

Alright, so I knew this day would come. I think our puppy has learned how to herd.

On the way back in from outside, we let Sherlock walk down the hallway with us. He used to do it OK, and every day he seems to be getting better at walking on his leash. But the last day or two he's started getting in front of us and nipping at our feet. He started with my wife yesterday, and today he was doing it to me. I guess I'm not 100% sure that this is herding behavior, but it sure seems like it to me.

To be sure, this is very new behavior so we haven't had a long time to figure it out, but I want to try to get ahead of it before it becomes a bigger problem.

I think your choice is a good one. My dog used to get an evil little glint in her eye and then go after the leash mid walk (normally mid-road crossing). Part of the trick is predicting when your pup is about to act out and preempt the crazy. Either pull out a toy and play with that, or practice some fun (FUN!) obedience. In my case I would cue a heel with eye contact when I knew a crazy outburst was coming. Then I'd play as a reward to get the yayas out. It may take a while, but the behaviour will decrease and be replaced with whatever else you provide, assuming it too is rewarding.

PoPcornTG
Mar 26, 2007

Dogs day afternoon
Bleak Gremlin
Hey guys. Is there much of a difference with temprement and personality between the two sexes when it comes to the Pembroke?

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

PoPcornTG posted:

Hey guys. Is there much of a difference with temprement and personality between the two sexes when it comes to the Pembroke?

I've always heard that the females are way more energetic the first couple years than the males are. Mine was unbelievably hyper till she hit three.

catamar
May 23, 2008

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
College Slice

catamar
May 23, 2008
Lil Pep had a brush with IVDD about 5 weeks ago and had to go on crate rest. NOBODY was happy.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
College Slice

catamar posted:

Lil Pep had a brush with IVDD about 5 weeks ago and had to go on crate rest. NOBODY was happy.

Nooo :(

How old is he? I know mine is going to have similar problems, I really worry about her.

catamar
May 23, 2008
She turned 9 in July I believe. We've lived in this house for 18 months and she had NEVER gone up the stairs on her own, but we catsat for a friend and suddenly she turned into Holly Pepper, StairMaster. I think the sudden increase in stairs activity triggered it - she was up and down like 10 times every day to check on the cat status.

RangerAce
Feb 25, 2014

Wulfling posted:

I've always heard that the females are way more energetic the first couple years than the males are. Mine was unbelievably hyper till she hit three.

That's been exactly my experience with two females so far. Have had three males and they all seemed a lot less neurotic.

catamar
May 23, 2008

Wulfling posted:

Nooo :(

How old is he? I know mine is going to have similar problems, I really worry about her.

My vet also recommended that Holly lose weight to help prevent it - check with your vet at the next visit to see whether they recommend losing a couple of pounds for your girl too. Extra weight adds stress to the spine fast.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
College Slice

catamar posted:

My vet also recommended that Holly lose weight to help prevent it - check with your vet at the next visit to see whether they recommend losing a couple of pounds for your girl too. Extra weight adds stress to the spine fast.

Oh I already know mine needs to lose weight. Despite cutting her intake, changing her diet, and doing my damnedest to exercise her more, she keeps the pounds on her. Shes only 4 now, but I'm still looking at other alternative options.

catamar
May 23, 2008
We found a flirt pole + chasing the geese at the soccer field very helpful! Holly's a Cardigan so she's obviously bigger than a Pem, but she and Gansett are both maintaining good winter weights at 1/2 cup of Kirkland Nature's Domain 2x/day - 34ish and 30ish lbs respectively. It's so hard to get enough exercise when EVERYTHING is covered in 5 feet of snow plus salt. Between the boots and the shorter walks their nails have been getting crazy overgrown and Holly's been extra sensitive about us messing with her back legs so trimming becomes this huge ordeal. :(

My husband thinks that Dog Tax is a thing and the dogs are entitled to a piece of all of his snacks and meals, so I understand the struggle. I scoop a level half cup and then take out a kibble or two for every snack I see him give them and adjust downward again if they wouldn't walk for at least 20 minutes.

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?
Seconding the flirt pole idea, Tegan goes absolutely bonkers when that thing's out.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
College Slice
Had to look up what that was because I've never heard the name before. Alas yes I really need to get one of those for Sam. Do you guys have any recommendations for brands and durability? Don't want to spend money on one only to have her tear it up. I'd definitely be able to get more exercise for her that way.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

I bought a lunge pole (I think that's what they're called) from a horse tack store, and attacked a toy to the end of it. All told, I think it set me back about fifteen bucks. It's been super durable. I've replaced the toy on the end once when it got super gross. The pole itself is in tiptop shape.

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

I just bought some PVC pipe and a length of rope from the hardware store and tied a toy to the end. Probably cost me $10-15 total.

vibur
Apr 23, 2004
We use an item that ThinkGeek used to sell: http://www.amazon.com/FroliCat-DART-Automatic-Rotating-Laser/dp/B003Q6AG9K

Gizmo can't get enough of it.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I thought lasers were always bad because there's no reward. Wasn't there an article about them causing OCD in cats?

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
My corgi loving LOVES the laser, it's his absolute favorite thing in the world. If I even say the world "laser" he starts freaking out and goes ballistic. He loves chasing it back and forth and doesn't give a poo poo that he can't catch it. He knows it's coming out of the thing I hold in my hand, because if I stop doing it he claws at the laser pointer itself, and he sometimes looks at my hand if he can't find the red dot.

When I'm done moving it around for him I let him bite at it and say "Good boy!" and pretend like he caught it, then I give him a hug and pet him a lot and he gets super happy and excited about it.

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA
Some dogs can develop an OCD behavior called light/shadow chasing, but not all dogs will. You know the level of your dog's tendency to neurosis, so use that as a guide before choosing whether or not to use a laser pointer. Neige probably wouldn't have an issue, for example.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
College Slice

ButWhatIf posted:

Some dogs can develop an OCD behavior called light/shadow chasing, but not all dogs will. You know the level of your dog's tendency to neurosis, so use that as a guide before choosing whether or not to use a laser pointer. Neige probably wouldn't have an issue, for example.

Sam has an iffy history with the laser. She seems to get bored of it fairly quickly. That may be a product of using it when there were other dogs around. If I can find mine, or buy a new one, I'll try it out again. She seems to get mad and stompy with play time quickly though. She hates anything and everything to do with fetch. The most I can get out of her currently is using the cat as a toy, or chasing her around when she has a chew bone in her mouth.

RangerAce
Feb 25, 2014

ButWhatIf posted:

Sadly, this has happened to my dachshund because of laser pointers. My corgi isn't quite as bad. The dachshund will scratch at shadows on the ground. They will both freak out if an iPad or phone is reflecting light onto the ceiling. Very annoying and I feel like I broke my dogs a little. :(

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
College Slice

Shes all worn out from being out and playing in the snow.

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

On the topic of toys , Lambchop lasted a whole two days!

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
College Slice

Millions posted:

On the topic of toys , Lambchop lasted a whole two days!

Yeah, Sam is notorious for destroying toys with squeakers or stuffing. Fluff everywhere.

catamar
May 23, 2008
Neither of mine gives a poo poo about stuffed toys but they're both obsessed with yarn. :mad:

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
My flirtpole is a swiffer with a rope toy tied to the end loopy thing. I untie the toy when I want to use my swiffer.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Our corgi, Otto, LOVES cloth toys way more than any plastic/rubber toys. He's about a year and a half now and we've gone through so many cloth toys since he would destroy them so quick. A stuffed toy from PetSmart/PetCo would last a week at most. Even the ones listed as super durable would last maybe a few weeks.

The BEST place we found for cloth toys was surprisingly: IKEA.

We get him these stuffed rats, balls, and other stuffed animals from the kids section. These things last 3-4 months on average for him. Some have even lasted about 6 months before he finally tears a hole in them.

So yeah, if you're near an IKEA, go buy stuffed toys there.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.
I adopted a 4 year old Corgi recently. I named her Fenny (short for Fenchurch, from Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy). She is very cute (has an underbite so her tongue is just about always sticking out), though doesn't seem to like doing much of anything (except shedding a whole lot...), and usually just lays around:

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
College Slice
Hee! That tongue is adorable. Mine will stick the very tip of hers out between her lips usually when she's exceptionally happy.

If there is one thing corgis are masters of, its shedding. They shed enough for 3-4 other dogs. Even the groomer I take her too is always amazed at how much fur they get out of her undercoat.

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Fenny is adorable! Do yourself a favor and buy a small long hair FURminator.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.
Some actually gave me a knock-off version of it (which I assume works pretty much as well), and yeah, it's insane how much it gets off her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
Putting these here because I can:

It snowed a lot in NC the last couple weeks. He loves it. If we lob a snowball at him, he'll rear up and try to catch it in his chest using his arms. He does that with non-ball toys as well...so rope/cloth tug toys we'll toss at him and he'll try to catch it with his arms, but he'll always try to catch his ball with his mouth. He's a goof. I really want to bring him up to Minnesota next year when we go up for Christmas...I want to see how he does when the snow is deeper than him.

He also seems to enjoy laying on his belly with his rear legs kicked out like in the 2nd picture. Usually it's a result of him chewing on a toy and scooting forward. Not sure if this is a Corgi thing or if Sherlock is weird, but it makes his legs look extra small in comparison to the rest of him.

• Locked thread