Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Dungeon Lords rules question: If I send two trolls into the "magic" room, what do I get from it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
An Imp. It's magic.

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

The final spice...your tears <3

EvilChameleon posted:

Thanks for this write-up, I'm seriously considering buying this game now, unless someone can come in and detail some horrible problem with it. I sort of glazed over watching the Watch It Played video but it seemed cool. Which WP games would you compare it to / say are bestest?

I really can't think of great WP analogs. There's hidden victory conditions and a constant change-up of special ability cards to select from, so that's kind of like Archipelago. There's a delay between placing your workers and actually getting the pay-off of where ever you put them (i.e.they're two separate phases in a round), which is akin to Dominant Species or Caylus. And then there's mechanics that I have trouble to find analog to--especially in WP--like how your placement action is done being your primary decision rather than the result of that placement. I also have trouble recalling WP games that grant tons of opportunities for extra actions but then is kept in check because you can rush the end of round. I also have no loving idea what to compare the modular worker placement slots to.

So...I dunno. This game is more similar to non-spatial worker placements (i.e. not Dominant Species or Archipelago...) but really Argent is its own thing.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Lorini posted:

The designer said they would, but he hasn't been promised another print run, so if it doesn't sell well, this may be it. We didn't find the typos etc to be much of an issue. The biggest issue was that it was never actually stated in the rules that mages come back from the infirmary at the end of every round, had we not known that, we'd have had a very different and frustrating experience.

Hmm, that's a good point. I'm interested in this game because it sounds like this hybrid design that I love but at the same time the little angel fosbourne on my shoulder is telling me that I don't need ANOTHER heavy WP game that will be competing to get to the table with my other 2h+ games

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

The BGG Golden Geek awards results are out.

You'll never guess what game won game of the year.

It actually wasn't Dead of Winter

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
I finally got my first designer board game last weekend and got to enjoy a long weekend playing Agricola with my nieces and nephew. I was afraid my nieces would not like it. They are young teenagers whose faces are constantly glued on their iPhones. The younger girl loved it most and we played our own 2-player game after playing a 4-player. My older nephew (13yo) liked it, but he's competitive and didn't like losing to me. My older niece (16yo) liked it the least, but I'm really happy that she actually played a full game and enjoyed it. I absolutely love the game. Thanks for suggesting it goons! It still surprises me how heavy the box is, how detailed the game is, how simple yet deep the gameplay is, and how awesome ZMan is for including extra baggies!!

We only played the simpler Family version but I just played a Full Solo game and I can't wait to play Occupations and Minor Improvements with the chitlins.

Alas, my girlfriend still won't play it with me. :qq:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Gimnbo posted:

The BGG Golden Geek awards results are out.

You'll never guess what game won game of the year.

It actually wasn't Dead of Winter

The fact that it was even a runner-up is scary.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Well it won two categories...

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Well, I think the moral of the story is that the market is starving for semi-coop, experience generators, and/or zombie games. Even strongholds of euroness like BGG. There's really only like BSG and that's old and based on a property that's becoming even more Firefly-y than Firefly.

I'm interested in that Dark Moon retheme of BSG Express, did anyone here play BSG Express?

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Fat Turkey posted:

Thanks for the details on this, I think I'll chase this up if the game isn't too expensive.

Do you mind if I ask how you found this game? It has a good BGG score although only 12 reviews, and I downloaded the English rules to read over, but I can find no coverage or review of this game anyway. Considering I could get something like Keyflower for the price, I would like to see a bit more about it. I just want it to be good, and unlike other games I'm not sure it has resale value if not.

A fella who I game with from time to time caught wind of it (no idea how) and put up a post asking if anyone wanted to do a group purchase to save shipping costs. I had a look at it, decided that it looked pretty nifty and wondered why there aren't many other football management board games, especially modern euro style ones, as they're the perfect genre for a modern game. So I took a punt. Probably a little silly given the cost, but it's paid off - the game is really really good. Of course, I am a football wonk, so I bring a certain amount of enthusiasm to playing it already, but in the two games I've played already, all players came away from the table highly rating the game.

At a fundamental level, there's good euro design, with clear graphic design and sensible design choices. It really does evoke many of the elements that people enjoy out of football management and FIFA ultimate team, so if those are things you enjoy, the odds are very high this will hit the mark.

The knocks against it are that since it's a bit of a niche, indie game, the production quality is a little off: whilst the printing and art are top notch, the board is the same cardstock as the tokens and player boards. The token cutting is a little haphazard as well.

The End fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Feb 24, 2015

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Lichtenstein posted:

Well it won two categories...

So did Star Realms, which goes to show how desperate people are to not play Dominion for some reason.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Trynant posted:

I really can't think of great WP analogs. There's hidden victory conditions and a constant change-up of special ability cards to select from, so that's kind of like Archipelago. There's a delay between placing your workers and actually getting the pay-off of where ever you put them (i.e.they're two separate phases in a round), which is akin to Dominant Species or Caylus. And then there's mechanics that I have trouble to find analog to--especially in WP--like how your placement action is done being your primary decision rather than the result of that placement. I also have trouble recalling WP games that grant tons of opportunities for extra actions but then is kept in check because you can rush the end of round. I also have no loving idea what to compare the modular worker placement slots to.

So...I dunno. This game is more similar to non-spatial worker placements (i.e. not Dominant Species or Archipelago...) but really Argent is its own thing.

The Worker Placement part is very much like a little known WP game called Archon. It's by the same people who did Among the Stars and I really like it as well. You can only buy it out of Greece though, took about 10 days to get here.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Lorini posted:

The Worker Placement part is very much like a little known WP game called Archon. It's by the same people who did Among the Stars and I really like it as well. You can only buy it out of Greece though, took about 10 days to get here.

Archon is pretty good, yeah. I have a copy and have Dungeon Lords showing up soon. Would Argent be redundant?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Well, I think the moral of the story is that the market is starving for semi-coop, experience generators, and/or zombie games. Even strongholds of euroness like BGG. There's really only like BSG and that's old and based on a property that's becoming even more Firefly-y than Firefly.

I'm interested in that Dark Moon retheme of BSG Express, did anyone here play BSG Express?

I wouldn't say the market is starved for experience generators, people just like buying The New Thing (I do this too, though I've gotten a lot better about it thankfully). It's pretty unlikely that most people have exhausted the supply of decent experience generators, they just see a thing that looks cool and is new, and the old stuff ends up collecting dust on the shelf for months/years before maybe breaking it out again. I just played Dungeon Lords this last week after not playing it for about two years; It's a loving fantastic game and some of the infrequency is because teaching it can be a chore, but it's mostly that New poo poo came out and I wanted to buy the New poo poo.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Well, I think that DoW has to have something going for it more than just The New Thing, because it's been mostly unavailable for months but the hype has still been bonkers. I really feel like it gets more credit for it being the game people want it to be rather than what it is. People really want a mechanically sound, lighter BSG/semi-coop with a popular theme (Zombies).

E: for clarity

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Feb 24, 2015

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
And yet nobody remembers Mall/City of Horror.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Well, I think the moral of the story is that the market is starving for semi-coop, experience generators, and/or zombie games. Even strongholds of euroness like BGG.

This isn't 2007, BGG isn't nearly as Euro-friendly anymore. I agree with everything else you said though.

Also Dead of Winter is driving people bonkers because a) all the major video review outlets went bonkers for it and a huge amount of people take their cues from them and b) Ameritrash lovers value components and feel a lot more than on tightness of rules.

Reminder that Mansions of Madness tore it up for a while and then rapidly deflated. It could still happen to Dead of Winter.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Some Numbers posted:

An Imp. It's magic.

Even better, if you send ONE troll into it next to the special corridor from the expansion that gives a discount you still get an imp.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Echophonic posted:

Archon is pretty good, yeah. I have a copy and have Dungeon Lords showing up soon. Would Argent be redundant?

No. There's no direct confrontation in Archon like there is in Argent, and the replayability is much higher in Argent, although we still like Archon.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

thespaceinvader posted:

Even better, if you send ONE troll into it next to the special corridor from the expansion that gives a discount you still get an imp.

I have not played with the expansion.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

if you are teaching dungeon lords and don't say the words 'it's the magic room, where the magic happens' i don't know what to tell you

Stanley Tweedle
Aug 15, 2001

sicarius posted:

Just going to plug CGE in here. I won a copy of Alchemists and got it in the mail yesterday, minus one of the triangular boards that you use to track your mixology. I emailed them immediately. They replied this morning (less than 12 hours later) and I gave them my address. The printer has already mailed me to let me know it's on its way. Ridiculously fast and courteous.

and on the other side of the coin, i've been trying to get in touch with dvg for a month now about a massively hosed up counter sheet in a copy of TAL. no response from the the 2 e-mails, bgg forum post, or 2 pms to dan on bgg. pretty cool stuff dvg. glad i spent $75 on your game.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Some Numbers posted:

I have not played with the expansion.

You should it's good.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!

The End posted:

Time of Soccer

That all sounds pretty good to me, the euro style, the football management and team making. I'd always assumed it was too difficult and niche to make a game based on it. The downsides aren't really an issue to me.

I'll stop interrogating you, but I would like to know how much you paid. I'm in the UK and you make it sound like shipping is a concern.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

BonHair posted:

Dungeon Lords rules question: If I send two trolls into the "magic" room, what do I get from it?

A food shortage.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Lorini posted:

No. There's no direct confrontation in Archon like there is in Argent, and the replayability is much higher in Argent, although we still like Archon.

I was hoping you wouldn't say that. It's probably too much of a table-hog and too long to really be a good fit for my group, but I have to think about it.

:retrogames::rolldice:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Lorini posted:

I got my copy of Archon from a UK based game store, and you can buy it on Amazon if you don't mind getting scalped.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Frijolero posted:

I finally got my first designer board game last weekend and got to enjoy a long weekend playing Agricola with my nieces and nephew. I was afraid my nieces would not like it. They are young teenagers whose faces are constantly glued on their iPhones. The younger girl loved it most and we played our own 2-player game after playing a 4-player. My older nephew (13yo) liked it, but he's competitive and didn't like losing to me. My older niece (16yo) liked it the least, but I'm really happy that she actually played a full game and enjoyed it. I absolutely love the game. Thanks for suggesting it goons! It still surprises me how heavy the box is, how detailed the game is, how simple yet deep the gameplay is, and how awesome ZMan is for including extra baggies!!

We only played the simpler Family version but I just played a Full Solo game and I can't wait to play Occupations and Minor Improvements with the chitlins.

Alas, my girlfriend still won't play it with me. :qq:

Welcome to the wonderful word of Agricola! It's amazing everyone else seems to be able to get teenagers to play it but me, maybe my nephews are just dullards :shrug:

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Scotty_Vicks posted:

and on the other side of the coin, i've been trying to get in touch with dvg for a month now about a massively hosed up counter sheet in a copy of TAL. no response from the the 2 e-mails, bgg forum post, or 2 pms to dan on bgg. pretty cool stuff dvg. glad i spent $75 on your game.

I contacted DVG about a hosed up Java link for their corsair leader vassal module and they responded with "vassal works on my computer"

Real asshats in their customer service dept.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Fat Turkey posted:

That all sounds pretty good to me, the euro style, the football management and team making. I'd always assumed it was too difficult and niche to make a game based on it. The downsides aren't really an issue to me.

I'll stop interrogating you, but I would like to know how much you paid. I'm in the UK and you make it sound like shipping is a concern.

I paid $80 AUD, with about $12.50 of that shipping (my split of it anyway)

I'm in Australia, shipping is always brutal. It shipped from Spain, so I think shipping will be laughable for you.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

gaaaaahahahaha hearthstone won the video game of the year

Also splendor's like OK but it's nowhere near goty, and saying Dead of Winter is the most innovative game of the year is loving mindblowing. it's BSG but way worse! gently caress!!

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

Fungah! posted:

Also splendor's like OK but it's nowhere near goty, and saying Dead of Winter is the most innovative game of the year is loving mindblowing. it's BSG but way worse! gently caress!!

What would you say is most innovative? I'd say Tragedy Looper, but I don't play nearly as many games as others here.

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!

Fungah! posted:

You don't seem to have accepted just how incredibly uncritical and undiscerning most people are.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

At least it wasn't Dead of Winter or Star Realms as GOTY.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Fungah! posted:

I've been reading through the BGG comments thread and there are many people who have problems with DoW winning "innovative," which they chalk up to mouthbreathers running down the list and just picking DoW whenever it appeared on the poll.

Some BGG user posted:

I'll save everybody the suspense and just let you know that Exploding Kittens is going to be the Game of the Year 2015

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Similar to how someone mentioned that BGG is becoming a bit less euro-centric lately, I wonder if people are slowly moving away from heavier games a bit, too. There are a ton of people in the comments who are flabbergasted that Splendor won but aren't offering up an alternative.

E: also seem much more tolerant of dice and random chance than years past

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Feb 25, 2015

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

Boardgaming is becoming mainstream again, everyone rejoice.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Awards are stupid.

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker
BGG the resource is an amazing source of board game information. BGG the people is horrible garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Not really. There are tons and tons of people on BGG who have very similar opinions to this thread. There are just way more people on BGG in general, so you are going to get a mixed opinion.

All in all the concept of an overall board game of the year award is really kind of dumb. Different games are made to fit some pretty specific niches in the hobby, so I'm not really sure how you are supposed to judge whether a well made worker placement game is better than a well made war game other than the reviewers preference. Having a best of for each type of game makes sense, but an overall best of is just way too subjective.