Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Captain Invictus posted:

:ssh: I left a note on the door saying I would help him, and cleared the walkway entirely of snow for him. He never even went to the front door.

I was joking, if it wasn't obvious, I hate lazy delivery people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Boxes, with Hamster Forscale

Contents of boxes, with Hamster Forscale

Everything seems to have survived luckily, there was a very obvious steel toed boot tip-shaped hole in the side of the Dragons Don't Share shipment box, but luckily it hit an area of the DDS box inside it nearest the hole that had an indentation in the plastic anyways. One of them got a bit hosed up in the corner but otherwise they're mostly undamaged, which is nice. Probably going to see if people buying Khanjira/DDS will be willing to let me take the parts out and ship them that way, because jesus are the boxes unnecessarily big.

LumberingTroll posted:

I was joking, if it wasn't obvious, I hate lazy delivery people.
I work at UPS and I know how insane it has gotten for drivers within the last ten years. With the advent of GPS technology, they now track drivers and call them if they're stopped for too long(30 seconds is often too long). The hours are ridiculous sometimes, the workflow is increased due to less drivers, and everyone thinks you're the one who dented their box rather than the last person in a string of 20-30 people who handled it as well as probably miles of conveyor belts and chutes, so it's often thankless.

If he'd left it on the front step and ignored the note, fine, whatever, I'd be annoyed. But leaving it ten feet from the street where someone can pull over, put the boxes in their car, and drive off in seconds is ridiculous, especially since he labeled it as delivered to my front door, and that just makes me pissed off. That attitude has to be nipped in the bud, especially since my mom gets expensive medical supplies delivered every so often, and I don't want him doing anything similar with important poo poo like that.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Captain Invictus posted:

Contents of boxes, with Hamster Forscale

How many worlds are you planning to break :stare:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
*rolls a D20*

all of them

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
Hamster Forscale may be the best Forscale.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Question for anyone who's ordered and received the Demon Lords package: is the Balrog roughly equivalent in size to a GW Bloodthirster?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I'd say he's slightly larger, but I can post a side-by-side later tonight.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Large than the GW bloodthirster, smaller than the Forgeworld one.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Of course, now that I think about it this comparison doesn't take into account the new kit. Still, either way it sounds like I've got a good third-party Bloodthirster on its way to me. Thanks!

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
Bummer, my box was held up in customs, with a tax and extra transportation fee. So now I paid almost as much for getting the core box here as I paid for the core box, making it less of a great deal. :/

Seconding that the Bonesium is way harder this time, which is great. Even things like swords and staves are pretty rigid. Way better than before, I hope they switch material for all the Bones, also the old ones. Actually, they are so much better that I'm less bummed out by paying extra.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Feb 25, 2015

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all
UPS has had my package as "Package departed international carrier facility" for 5 days now. It shouldn't be customs holding it up since it's already in Canada and got handed over on the 19th. I've got everything in that 'getting ready to move' chaos, so hoping it heads out soon and have one less thing to worry about.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

moths posted:

I'd say he's slightly larger, but I can post a side-by-side later tonight. tomorrow morning

Sorry, didn't get home until near midnight. Here you go!

Man, my spacial memory is awful. I remember him being "about bloodthirster size" while clearly having no memory of how dinky a blood thirster actually is.

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Give it to me straight...

Baron Snow posted:

This is a whole page late, but I kept forgetting about this when I was in the same building as my bones.

All the bags are helpfully labeled to tell you what set it's from.

The two figures that require assembly are further bagged individually so the pieces don't get mixed up.

They do require glue though.

And here's all the normal figures! The Peryton is a bit wing heavy and probably needs a bit more base.

Thank you so much for all of these! I was wondering how big the cloaker was going to be, and it looks like it will be a pretty nice size after all :)

Looking forward to getting what meagre stuff I am getting from this. I like the look of the filth beast too, that will fit in nicely :)

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I was trying some new products for putting base coats on my bones and just fyi, one of these two products doesn't agree well with bonesium, going on 24 hours and still tacky, just a little tidbit for the communal knowledge bank here:

(lol of course it's the testors)

Diosamblet
Oct 9, 2004

Me and my shadow

Bad Munki posted:

I was trying some new products for putting base coats on my bones and just fyi, one of these two products doesn't agree well with bonesium, going on 24 hours and still tacky, just a little tidbit for the communal knowledge bank here:

(lol of course it's the testors)

The combo that's been working for me so far has been Vallejo Surface Primer and Vallejo Airbrush Thinner. The Vallejo thinner isn't cheap, but I figured I'd want the kind formulated for the majority of my paints. Here's one I just primed this way (in German Panzer Grey):

Obviously it could use another layer or two on the flat surfaces for an even coating, but generally I'm happy with the results; thin enough to keep the details, and washy enough to let me see where they are - which I've previously been relying on zenithal priming for.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Yeah, I was just hoping to use this thinner because I had it on hand. I was using that paint/thinner combo for priming a metric fuckton of plaster cast terrain pieces, so working in bulk is key. Which it works great for, no problem there. I don't mind shelling out for a better priming/base coating combo for minis, of course, because I'll use so much of it, but I had to try.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all
Turns out my worries about UPS were just them being slow updating due to a customs delay which cost me $60. But here's 20 lbs of Reaper goodness:

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Well, that's all of the orders sent out, with the exception of the four hundred odd that still didn't have their pledges locked in.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Is there a list of the retail prices for the various Bones figures in the Bones 2 Kickstarter? Reaper's got Khanjira, Mashaaf, etc on their site but with no prices or the ability to add them to a cart.

I just want to know a fair price to list them for sale at, trying to make a list here. Thinking that if Khanjira were, say, $75 retail or so I heard he would be, I'd ask like $60, that sort of thing. Does that seem fair? A good chunk off the retail price for each of them.

Jackmann, if you're able to get me a list of retail prices for the stuff included in Bones 2, that'd be very much appreciated!

Thinking I might have this for sale:

2013 Core Set x8-9
Dungeon Decor x3
Dragon Hatchlings x1
Under the Sea x1
Lords of Darkness x1
Mouslings x3
Unleash the Kraken! x7-8
Oh, Rats! x2-3
Heroes and Villains x1
Water Elementals x1
Hill Giants x1
Numenera Monsters x1
Mashaaf, Great Old One x9
Khanjira, the World Breaker x9
Dragons Don't Share x5
Cadirith x1
Expansion Set 1 x4
Expansion Set 2 x4

edit: I know there's a site that shows the old retail prices and more info for each sculpt but it doesn't really help in this case.

Interesting to see that The Kraken used to be a 100 dollar resin set though, seems like it'd be a nightmare to put together without the flexibility of the Bones plastic.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Mar 1, 2015

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
What are the diameters of the various bases? I'd probably be interested in some 25mm ones.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Ive already painted four skeletons and three dragon hatchlings from bones 2. Never painted a mini before, but it was surprisingly easy

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

thespaceinvader posted:

What are the diameters of the various bases? I'd probably be interested in some 25mm ones.

Ah whoops, I meant to take those out, those were for me. :x

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
:colbert:

Question still applies, I might order a pack from Reaper if they sell them separately.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

thespaceinvader posted:

:colbert:

Question still applies, I might order a pack from Reaper if they sell them separately.

I hope they do: I ordered 3 extra bags of the small ones, and am likely to need more, and I need them to be all the same.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Here you go, Cap'n. Prices for all the individual models of Bones II. It doesn't have prices for the full expansions/core set, but I'd guess the core set will go for what the Vampire box from Bones 1 goes for at retail, $325. Fewer individual models, but a lot more big 'uns.

EDIT:

thespaceinvader posted:

25 mm, 50 mm, 75 mm. There are people who are very upset that Reaper went with 25 mm instead of 1", because of the huge difference .4 mm makes.

I joke. For all I know, there are games where that really is important.

JackMann fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Mar 2, 2015

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

JackMann posted:

Here you go, Cap'n. Prices for all the individual models of Bones II. It doesn't have prices for the full expansions/core set, but I'd guess the core set will go for what the Vampire box from Bones 1 goes for at retail, $325. Fewer individual models, but a lot more big 'uns.
Oh, fantastic. Thanks for this!

Interesting to see Khanjira is even cheaper than expected, and same with Dragons Don't Share. I expected them to be 75 and 110, respectively. Scuttlebutt was Khanjira would be 90 but that seemed a lot.

How would people feel on 50 for Khanjira and 70 for Dragons Don't Share? That sound fair? Would a flat 15% off for everything available be a fine alternative to figuring out discounts for everything, and just linking to that google doc for people to figure out what they'd like?

I'm just crapshooting here, trying to find what's a happy middleground for me to make a good profit and people to save a good amount of money.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Ever more glad I made sure to specifically pick those two up.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

This week's encounter is almost ready for my players!

Get off your arses and start painting!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Happiest little hellspawn.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Captain Invictus posted:

Oh, fantastic. Thanks for this!

How would people feel on 50 for Khanjira and 70 for Dragons Don't Share? That sound fair? Would a flat 15% off for everything available be a fine alternative to figuring out discounts for everything, and just linking to that google doc for people to figure out what they'd like?

I'm just crapshooting here, trying to find what's a happy middleground for me to make a good profit and people to save a good amount of money.

Online game stores generally do at least 25% off MSRP for Bones. There's no way I'd pay $50 for Khanjira, especially knowing it's a fairly ridiculous 100% markup on your end. Considering that you're some guy on the Internet that doesn't offer any sort of rewards program or anything like that, I'd expect you to come in under the prices that people can get all day long.

vv e: Apologies, wasn't trying to be abrasive. vv

Achmed Jones fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Mar 2, 2015

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Achmed Jones posted:

Online game stores generally do at least 25% off MSRP for Bones. There's no way I'd pay $50 for Khanjira, especially knowing it's a fairly ridiculous 100% markup on your end. Considering that you're some guy on the Internet that doesn't offer any sort of rewards program or anything like that, I'd expect you to come in under the prices that people can get all day long.
You also don't need to be rude about it. I'm just asking, learn to word your poo poo less abrasively even if you have some good points. It's not really ridiculous. I got in on the kickstarter, so got it for cheaper than normal, and want to take advantage of that to make an extra profit but still offer a decent discount, so I'm asking what would be fair.

He seems to be going for between 50-65 on Ebay, some with free shipping(the higher ones), some without. So I'll probably do a little less than that for him, somewhere around 45ish I think.

edit: also, I am genuinely curious, what sites sell Bones stuff for 25% off retail price?

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Mar 2, 2015

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Paolomania posted:

This week's encounter is almost ready for my players!

Get off your arses and start painting!

Nice work, definitely gonna use as inspiration when I get around to mine.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Kinda wanna see someone cut that head off and slap it on a Carnifex. :q:

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Captain Invictus posted:

You also don't need to be a dick about it. I'm just asking, learn to word your poo poo less abrasively even if you have some good points. It's not really ridiculous. I got in on the kickstarter, so got it for cheaper than normal, and want to take advantage of that to make an extra profit but still offer a decent discount, so I'm asking what would be fair.

He seems to be going for between 50-65 on Ebay, some with free shipping(the higher ones), some without. So I'll probably do a little less than that for him, somewhere around 45ish I think.

Uh, he worded that pretty nicely considering you way overshot with your pricing and he has a totally valid point.

You're not unique in thinking you can flip your KS stuff by using the retail prices as a guide, but much like I can just go see what prices most games cost a game store to order and decide if the deal they're giving me is correct we all know exactly how much you and every other scalper/reseller paid for the products and the market is going to be totally flooded with them in about a week. If you toss your stuff in a closet for two years you'll be able to easily get retail -25% for it on eBay, but not while the price everyone who is selling the product paid is way lower than normal and the market has adjusted the price down.

Captain Invictus posted:

edit: also, I am genuinely curious, what sites sell Bones stuff for 25% off retail price?

Miniature Market, Warstore, Noble Knight, basically all the heavy hitters.

El Estrago Bonito fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Mar 2, 2015

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Uh, he worded that pretty nicely considering you way overshot with your pricing and he has a totally valid point.

If $50 is what it's actually going for in the market then how did he overshoot? :confused: I mean I'm very far from a person who thinks that what the market will bear is fair game in tradgame products, but if you missed the frankly ridiculous Kickstarter discount then $45-50 seems perfectly decent to me.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Offering 15% base discount off retail price of something isn't unreasonable or overshooting, I had no idea there were sites offering a full quarter discount off retail price as standard. It was a perfectly valid place to start. I don't see how it warrants hostility when I'm asking for suggestions, it's not like I demanded that price, I asked if it sounded fair. Also, calling me a scalper, for real? These were made-to-order, anyone who wanted one got one. I'm not buying up all the limited-quantity goods for resale later, I put a production order in on their kickstarter. Please don't compare me to the sort who buys 20 PAX tickets or all the Arcees in the Transformers aisle or those who buy all the Lego store grand opening sets or whatever just because I bought a bunch of kickstarter stuff to resell.

I am aware that the market will be flooded. So I was asking for suggestions. If 15% isn't low enough, I can go lower, I'm trying to maximize profit though, of course. But I'd also like to offer a decent/good deal. So would 20-25% off everything be fine, then?

Miniature Market, Warstore, Noble Knight, basically all the heavy hitters.
Thanks. :)

Looking at MM, seems a ton of their Bones stuff is out of stock, I wonder if that's due to Reaper being preoccupied by Bones II shipping or what. Warstore, well, their site hasn't changed since I last used it like, ten years ago. Navigating it a bit, they've got the older Bones and it seems that the prices I'm asking for those are less than they're asking, even, for a bunch of it from what I can see(Cthulhu notwithstanding). Never heard of Noble Knight but I'll take a gander at them too. This'll help me gauge prices, as well.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Mar 2, 2015

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Retailers purchase game products from manufacturers for from 40% to 60% of the MSRP. They then mark up the price to something up to and including 100% of MSRP. That margin pays for all of their costs of doing business, plus (hopefully) a profit.

Invictus is essentially acting as a retailer. It is not unethical in the least to purchase something at or near wholesale prices and then resell it for more. It's exactly what every retail store in the world does. The fact that wholesale prices were available direct to customers for 30 days is irrelevant, and it is not "scalping" to sell a product for more than you paid for it. When scalpers sell tickets to a show that is sold out, they are selling something that was only available in a limited quantity. Anyone who wanted to kickstart Bones could, with no limit; and, as soon as Reaper makes Bones available to retailers, they will be again available without practical limit to anyone who wants them.

In fact, Invictus has taken on much more risk that a typical retailer has to, because he tied up a substantial sum of money for a long time before receiving the products, and he could not know in advance exactly how popular the products will be. Moreover, unlike a retailer, he cannot return unsold product. He's taken on a business risk, and whatever profit he makes compensates him for that risk.

I hope that clears up any ethics question. Captain Invictus, like any retailer, is assessing the market and attempting to determine a fair price based on demand and what his competitors are offering the products for. If he thought it was going to be $75 but it's actually $50, well, that's hardly a surprise, because nobody knew what Reaper would set as the MSRP (or the wholesale price) until now.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
There was actually a debate on it on the Reaper boards. Reaper's stance is that they will neither help nor hinder resellers (though this changes when it comes to limited editions; they don't like actual scalpers). From a practical standpoint, it doesn't take bones away from anyone who backed, Reaper got the money they were asking at the time, and people who didn't back get a chance to back during the Kickstarter get a chance at some discounted Bones. Nobody's exactly losing out here.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Very well put, Leperflesh. That is what I mean when I ask for people to explain things/offer advice without hostility. I'm not doing this in a Snidely Whiplash sort of way where I tie you up and slice open your pocket to let the coins fall out(possibly while on a railroad track), I'm purely asking for advice to best price them to make as much money as I can while also helping goons get stuff cheap.

I was lent 3 grand to use on investments by my extremely well-off uncle who wanted to give me an opportunity to start an online business, with the understanding that I would pay him back if able, but if I crashed and burned, I wouldn't need to(I understand how lucky I am to get this opportunity, and it humbles me that he, a successful stockbroker, felt I was worth investing in even if he could potentially lose it all, family connection or not. I also insisted on paying him back even if I failed and lost it all through sacrificing personal savings and selling off prized stuff of my own, because I am stubborn like that, must be the Irish in me). I chose to invest it in Transformers that were on clearance during various christmas sales(75-85% off mostly), a few TF2 inventories I bought for resale, and the Bones 2 kickstarter. The only reason I would put so much into the Reaper Bones 2 kickstarter is because they are such a well-established, long-standing company, that to fail to come through on their kickstarter would be tantamount to reputation suicide far more than most startups who use kickstarter, in my opinion. And with the previous Bones KS, it showed they produced a solid product, with some exception(quality of Bones 1 plastic was a bit wobbly). I am more than happy with the Bones 2 run, I opened Khanjira and Dragons Don't Share, and the quality of the Bones plastic has improved so dramatically it's mindboggling. It's still got good flex, but except on the most spindly of parts(thin longswords in particular) it retains shape and feels very strong, much stronger than Bones 1 plastic.

Bones 1, I bought 20 Vampire sets, which turned out to be an outstanding financial success for me. Anything I sell now from that is pure profit. Bones 2, I don't think I'll have the same such ridiculous success, but I do hope I can make some good money while recovering what I paid at least. I'll pay back my uncle with the sales, and then hopefully have enough left over to further expand my own online business. I'm no Warstore, I'm much more small-time, but it's a nice source of income alongside my real job that also allows me to support my hobbies without spending much on them(keeping one of each of a lot of the Bones stuff for myself, for example).

JackMann posted:

There was actually a debate on it on the Reaper boards. Reaper's stance is that they will neither help nor hinder resellers (though this changes when it comes to limited editions; they don't like actual scalpers). From a practical standpoint, it doesn't take bones away from anyone who backed, Reaper got the money they were asking at the time, and people who didn't back get a chance to back during the Kickstarter get a chance at some discounted Bones. Nobody's exactly losing out here.
Well yeah. If Reaper went after people reselling miniatures they'd be no better than GW, and I'm glad you probably realized that too, that it's best to just take a neutral, hands-off stance on it. People scalping limited edition stuff is lovely in any place though, so yeah, you've got reason to get uppity about that.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Mar 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
It occurs to me that it would be a bit more apt to look at the larger beasties, see what they're going for. Did a search for Kaladrax and Nethyrmaul on the major gaming stores. Looking at Miniature Market, the larger beasts do seem to be going for around 75% MSRP. Warstore is going at about 80%. Noble Knight doesn't offer a discount on either. FRP Games is also going at about 80%.

So, once they hit retail, you're probably gonna want to go around 65-70% to beat them out and still make a profit. That said, it's gonna be a while before they hit retail (since Reaper has to package all of the Bones), so you're probably safe charging a bit more in the meantime. People can get him cheaper later on, but they'll have to wait.

• Locked thread