Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
The point is moot because Iran will never invade Israel. Iran has a self interest in not being turned into a parking lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Venom Snake posted:

The point is moot because Iran will never invade Israel. Iran has a self interest in not being turned into a parking lot.

It's not moot at all, because the reality is the exact opposite of what you're saying. :rolleyes:

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Absurd Alhazred posted:

And then they would loving steamroll Israel. They have basically uninterrupted land passage from Iran, through Iraq and Syria, into Northern Israel. They will have Hezbollah and Syrian support. Israel's air defense is probably much superior, but eventually they will run out of Iron Dome missiles/SAMs/whatevers, especially after a few weeks of Hezbollah missiles raining down on them and drones popping in. And they only have that many missiles before they run out of materiel for bombing campaigns, and then they'll have to deal with a ground invasion.

Israel has zero strategic depth. Superpower support has always been vital to Israeli survival, which is why Ben Gurion skidaddled from Sinai and Gaza as soon as he realized he might be losing the US with Russian acquiescence after Suez in 1956.

Now imagine all of this and a world just looking for a good reason to just sanction Israel, period. Say, unprovokedly bombing oil refinery facilities.

If the US is not a threat to Iran, Israel automatically becomes a non-issue for them, other than maybe rhetorically.

I'm not so sure that Israel would face sanctions - or, indeed, any consequences worth noting - just for one or two little unprovoked strikes against other countries' energy facilities. Iran learned quite well in the Iran-Iraq War how much sheer ridiculous bullshit an aggressor can get away with when the world is determined to support them or determined to see the downfall of their target. And although international support for Israel has declined somewhat in recent years, it's still leaps and bounds ahead of international support for Iran.

If the international sanctions regime against Iran doesn't completely collapse, then a successful Israeli strike on the refineries would practically win any potential war right there. Without the ability to refine its own oil, Iran would be almost completely dependent on imported oil from the rest of the world. If they launched an invasion in response, Israel would just defend with all their might and cry to the US about how the evil Jew-hating Iranians are trying to destroy Israel and drive the Jews into the sea, guaranteeing them whatever defensive aid they need to hold Iranian forces back until economic and diplomatic pressures on Iran to end the war take their toll.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Main Paineframe posted:

I'm not so sure that Israel would face sanctions - or, indeed, any consequences worth noting - just for one or two little unprovoked strikes against other countries' energy facilities. Iran learned quite well in the Iran-Iraq War how much sheer ridiculous bullshit an aggressor can get away with when the world is determined to support them or determined to see the downfall of their target. And although international support for Israel has declined somewhat in recent years, it's still leaps and bounds ahead of international support for Iran.

If the international sanctions regime against Iran doesn't completely collapse, then a successful Israeli strike on the refineries would practically win any potential war right there. Without the ability to refine its own oil, Iran would be almost completely dependent on imported oil from the rest of the world. If they launched an invasion in response, Israel would just defend with all their might and cry to the US about how the evil Jew-hating Iranians are trying to destroy Israel and drive the Jews into the sea, guaranteeing them whatever defensive aid they need to hold Iranian forces back until economic and diplomatic pressures on Iran to end the war take their toll.

You are ignoring the main counterfactual here. I am explaining that without US support, Israel poses no credible threat. You stating that with US support Israel does pose a threat doesn't address this at all.

Hell, it's not even really a counterfactual considering how many times the US in no uncertain terms told Israel not to attack Iran. Including the SoD telling Israel they can't succeed.

This was the response to the attack on the Iraqi nuclear site, by the way. And strangely enough, this attack was coordinated with Iran. :ironicat:

Absurd Alhazred fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Feb 24, 2015

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Main Paineframe posted:

I'm not so sure that Israel would face sanctions - or, indeed, any consequences worth noting - just for one or two little unprovoked strikes against other countries' energy facilities.

Yes, poor Saddam Hussein. Another victim of the Zionist octopus.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Absurd Alhazred posted:

You are ignoring the main counterfactual here. I am explaining that without US support, Israel poses no credible threat. You stating that with US support Israel does pose a threat doesn't address this at all.

Hell, it's not even really a counterfactual considering how many times the US in no uncertain terms told Israel not to attack Iran. Including the SoD telling Israel they can't succeed.

This was the response to the attack on the Iraqi nuclear site, by the way. And strangely enough, this attack was coordinated with Iran. :ironicat:

Yes, if Israel loses US support, they will probably be curbstomped by Iran. That said, Israel will also be curbstomped by Iran if every gun, bullet, plane, and tank in Israel spontaneously bursts into flame, and that's probably only slightly less likely to happen. No matter what the administration says now, the Senate will vote 100-0 for aid to Israel and heavier sanctions on Iran if an Iranian army shows up at Israel's border (even if it was clearly provoked by Israel committing acts of war) and the administration will go with the political flow rather than take a stand. I doubt Israel would get much aid attacking Iran, but as soon as Israel itself is threatened, the US will intervene at all costs to prevent Israel's defeat while trying to force Iran to accept a ceasefire, and return to the status quo.

That response is nothing more than a Security Council resolution saying Israel shouldn't have done that. Any actual punitive action was expressly blocked by the US, as usual. And it's not surprising that Iran backed the attack, given that they were being invaded by Iraq at the time. Of course, the really funny part is that Iraq was operating with the full blessing and support of the US as well as much of the international community, despite carrying out an unprovoked invasion of Iran and even launching chemical weapons attacks against Iranian civilians. Like I said, when the international community's in the mood to pick winners and losers, it's willing to turn a blind eye to tremendous amounts of bullshit committed by their chosen champion.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Main Paineframe posted:

Yes, if Israel loses US support, they will probably be curbstomped by Iran.

Great, then you agree with this:

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Also, keep in mind that without at least implied US support, Israel is a paper tiger as far as attacking Iran directly is concerned. They would run out of nukes long before Iran runs out of conventional firebombing arsenals, and they've shown how apt they are at big-boy ground warfare. Not to mention how hesitant they would be to expend their own arsenal of conventional if they cannot count on an auto-refill from the US.

which you were earlier arguing against?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Great, then you agree with this:

which you were earlier arguing against?

You seemed to be implying that an Israeli strategy would necessarily involve burning Iran to the ground with nukes or a full-on invasion. I was pointing out that a full-scale Israeli invasion of Iran or all-out nuclear carpet-bombing of Iran is incredibly unlikely, as Israel really only needs to carry out a few strikes to badly wound Iran's economy, and then they just have to hold out long enough for Iran to give in to international pressure in order to get sanctions lifted. I was also pointing out the often-neglected nuclear power angle, and bringing up for the benefit of the thread the point that nukes are not Israel's sole concern and even a 100%-guaranteed weapons-free nuclear power program in Iran is still a threat to Israeli interests.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

Absurd Alhazred posted:

But I really don't see how the Guardian reads that memo and comes to these conclusions. The memo is consistent with Netanyahu's rhetoric, rather than undermining it.

I don't think Netanyahu's rhetoric is coherent enough to bother considering. He's basically been screaming "any day now" for the last few years. It's not even something worth arguing with, because it has no substance to argue with.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

ReV VAdAUL posted:

Complying with US wishes didn't save Gaddafi.

p sure the us didn't ask gaddafi to start telling everyone he was going turn benghazi into a ghost town.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Volkerball posted:

I wouldn't feel very comfortable with KSA having a bomb either, but all the same. One country is arming the Islamic Front, and the other is on the ground in Syria killing civilians. The stated discussion here isn't whether or not Iran "deserves" or needs one. It's ensuring that their program is limited to nuclear energy. But Israel doesn't want Iran to have anything whatsoever that helps them grow, whether that be a reduction of sanctions or increasing their ability to produce energy, and that's why they're so hung up about nuclear weapons. I doubt anyone with experience in these diplomatic ties truly believes Iran getting the bomb is in the forecast. The whole thing is just a cover for the real debate. If the international community de-escalates tensions with Iran, encourages growth and tries to adopt them into the world order, are they going to come away looking like Neville Chamberlain? That's a tough question to answer.

No, we should keep ostracizing and pressuring Iran, so that it joins the Soviet Eurasian Union and gets Russian military bases full of nukes on its territory. This is a much more productive strategy.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Now imagine all of this and a world just looking for a good reason to just sanction Israel, period. Say, unprovokedly bombing oil refinery facilities.

They just need to say that a cousin third-removed of someone who once say "good morning" to a member of the Hamas has visited the area at some time within the last ten years, and recite the magical formula "Israel has the right to defend itself", and everybody will cheer them on.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
I wonder how much traction you'd get with the usual suspects if you started pointing out that Israel operates under literal Sharia law. It's the exact same thing they explode into white-hot rage about here in the US - civil matters being deferred to Islamic religious courts.

Thanks, Main Painframe, BTW - I only knew some of that insanity. There really needs to be more pushback against the concept that Israel is in any way a liberal western democracy.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Unlike with Gaddafi, Iran has something to bring to the table: being a provable regional power with a stabilizing influence against proclaimed US enemies. It isn't a matter of protection, anyway, it's a matter of literally Israel having zero capacity of doing anything meaningful to Iran without active US backing, nukes or no.

Eh, it wasn't that long ago the US attempted a colour revolution in Iran and Congress and the presumptive next President are openly hostile to Iran (against good reason but what else is new). Assuming any reasonable behaviour will prevent the US from eventually giving Israel the nod is a coin toss at best.

I don't think Iran getting nukes is a good thing but I wouldn't fault their logic in doing so.

Volkerball posted:

p sure the us didn't ask gaddafi to start telling everyone he was going turn benghazi into a ghost town.
Libyans aiming to usurp him and the US and European powers with an interest in liberating Libya's resources Gaddafi's trumpeted that he was going to commit genocide as soon as the unrest started to justify toppling him via R2P. Gaddafi was a terrible person but his forces did nothing worse than any number of US clients, something he had aimed to be by trading away his WMDs. However all that did was make it easier for the US to topple him at the first sign of weakness.

ReV VAdAUL fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Feb 24, 2015

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Harik posted:

I wonder how much traction you'd get with the usual suspects if you started pointing out that Israel operates under literal Sharia law. It's the exact same thing they explode into white-hot rage about here in the US - civil matters being deferred to Islamic religious courts.

Thanks, Main Painframe, BTW - I only knew some of that insanity. There really needs to be more pushback against the concept that Israel is in any way a liberal western democracy.

I would say that Israel is a liberal Western democracy, with liberal secular parties...but it also has strong religious, nationalist, and militarist parties that make US fundies and the US "culture war" look reasonable by comparison, and the way the parliamentary system works in Israel means that most of them wield disproportionate influence due to their ability to make or break a coalition. It's in a state of cold war with itself, and every policy it pursues only radicalizes these internal conflicts further. It's tempting to call Israel theocratic or fascist, but I think it's better described as a democracy with strong theocratic and nationalist political parties constantly seeking to push the democracy in those directions. It might not stay that way forever, though - although I'm not in Israel, the social and cultural tensions there seem incredible, the demographic trends and policies seem poised to radicalize things even further, and I feel like sooner or later something's going to come to a head.

And on that note, my second post on Law of Return issues and the effects it has on Israeli society will come tonight.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Latest survey, solicited by Israel's Channel 2:

Zionist Camp: 24

Likud: 22

Bayit Yehudi: 12

Yesh Atid: 12

Joint Arab List: 12

Kulanu: 7

Shas: 7

United Torah Judaism: 7

Yisrael Beytenu: 6

Meretz: 6

Yachad – Ha'am Itanu: 5

If these are the results it's going to be a difficult time for anyone other than Netanyahu to form a coalition, I think.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Main Paineframe posted:

I would say that Israel is a liberal Western democracy, with liberal secular parties...but it also has strong religious, nationalist, and militarist parties that make US fundies and the US "culture war" look reasonable by comparison, and the way the parliamentary system works in Israel means that most of them wield disproportionate influence due to their ability to make or break a coalition. It's in a state of cold war with itself, and every policy it pursues only radicalizes these internal conflicts further. It's tempting to call Israel theocratic or fascist, but I think it's better described as a democracy with strong theocratic and nationalist political parties constantly seeking to push the democracy in those directions. It might not stay that way forever, though - although I'm not in Israel, the social and cultural tensions there seem incredible, the demographic trends and policies seem poised to radicalize things even further, and I feel like sooner or later something's going to come to a head.

And on that note, my second post on Law of Return issues and the effects it has on Israeli society will come tonight.

Israel is definitely getting much worse from a secular perspective, but the US certainly seems a lot more theocratic, especially in red states.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Kim Jong Il posted:

Israel is definitely getting much worse from a secular perspective, but the US certainly seems a lot more theocratic, especially in red states.

Show me one State where you cannot marry someone if they're not of the same religion as you, or if they are the same religion of you but the religion says you can't marry (for example, if you're a Cohen and she's a divorcee).

Show me one State where public transportation is overwhelmingly completely shut off over Saturday for "religious reasons" (or Sunday, I guess). Not reduced service, shut off.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Kim Jong Il posted:

Compared with when?

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Kim Jong Il posted:

Uh, no. "In God We Trust," "One Nation Under God," this stuff is barely worth objecting to when fundies consistently get their asses kicked on every topic aside from abortion, where the left is generally doing an OK job holding the line.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
So, Netanyahu turned down an invite to meet with senate democrates. Does this change anything at all?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

quote:

Netanyahu said to meet with Democrats "at this time could compound the misperception of partisanship regarding my upcoming visit."

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Maybe he means the misperception that his visit isn't partisan?

Is he meeting with any Republicans or Republican groups?

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

durbin posted:

We offered the Prime Minister an opportunity to balance the politically divisive invitation from Speaker (John) Boehner with a private meeting with Democrats who are committed to keeping the bipartisan support of Israel strong. His refusal to meet is disappointing to those of us who have stood by Israel for decades.
I think things might get really weird if Netanyahu somehow turns American support for Israel into just another partisan issue.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

tentative8e8op posted:

I think things might get really weird if Netanyahu somehow turns American support for Israel into just another partisan issue.

That's what has had Israel supporters telling him to cancel this speech, both in the US and Israel.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
So last time we talked about one of the big issues with the Law of Return, the fact that the religious establishment does not recognize these immigrants as Jews, leading to humiliating and draconian conversion ordeals in order to be involved in religious-only activities such as marriage, or having to leave the country and carry those rituals out abroad. And the very first response anyone posted was that they should leave. And that's actually pretty prophetic, because this time we're going to look at how Law of Return migrants have fared in Israel in general, and how they've fit into Israeli society despite those assimilation difficulties.

The answer to that, by the way, is "poorly". The religious consider them "non-Jewish" and treat them accordingly (and many are actually non-Jews who just had a Jewish ancestor), while even among the secular it's generally agreed that the immigrants aren't Zionists and don't really belong there. Even more importantly, though, they're poor and miserable - yes, even educated immigrants from modern countries. Israel's economic woes, with its high poverty rate, low salaries, and high cost of living, are hitting them hard, and as clear foreigners with accents, they seem to face a glass ceiling as well. As a result, the million former-Soviet Israelis that arrived in the 90s are leaving in droves, as are their children, who have similarly pessimistic outlooks concerning their future in Israel. The message is clear - they'd rather go back to Russia or try their luck in Europe than raise a family in Israel.

Incidentally, this ought to have major political repercussions over the long run. The more recent immigrants to Israel, and particularly the hundreds of thousands of ex-Soviet Israelis, have noticeably different voting patterns compared to people/families who've been in Israel since the 40s. They tend to be conservative, working-class, in favor of secularism and generally opposed to the theocratic wings, supportive of a strong military and security apparatus, big fans of as much capitalism as possible, and aren't surprised in the slightest to hear that a politician is corrupt. They also make up maybe 20% of Jewish voters, so they matter, a lot. In the past, Avigdor Lieberman's Yisrael Beiteinu party has been the "Russian party" and snagged the bulk of the Russian vote, but Netanyahu and Bennett are always on the watch for an opportunity to snap up portions of that ex-Soviet base. However, they've mostly built that support among Russians by focusing on being the enemy of Palestine, Iran, and the Chief Rabbinate. While there's plenty of talk of easing the conversion process in hopes of keeping the Russians from leaving, it doesn't seem as though anyone's willing to fight for economic opportunity for the immigrants, which is why the trend of immigration will probably continue and possibly lead to drastic political shifts.

http://www.haaretz.com/news/national/.premium-1.625191

quote:

Branded in Israel as ‘others,’ many immigrants leave for other countries
Immigrants who aren’t Jews according to Jewish law are alienated in Israel.

Israel has invested heavily in the successful absorption of new immigrants, but new numbers of those leaving cast a pall on the success of this endeavor. According to the Central Bureau of Statistics, half of the Israelis who left the country in 2012 for more than a year were immigrants who were not born here. A quarter of those leaving were designated as “others,” a term reserved for immigrants deemed Jewish for obtaining citizenship but not according to Jewish law (halakha).

Yogev Karasenty, an adviser at the Jewish Agency, presented these figures recently at the Knesset against the backdrop of debate on the conversion reform. He believes that the numbers indicate a problem in the process of absorbing these people. “The number of immigrants who came and left is uncomfortably high,” he says. “We’d like to see a much better blending of these immigrants into Israeli society, and we’re convinced that more accessible conversion will change things around.” That’s the new buzz word: “accessible conversion.”

“Conversion is a process of acceptance into Israeli society,” says Karasenty. “It’s tantamount to serving in the army, and the two have been linked together not coincidentally. These two frameworks give an imprimatur of ‘Israeliness,’ without which a person’s sense of belonging is affected.”

In response to the claim that the numbers don’t indicate that conversion problems are at fault, Karasenty says anyone thinking otherwise should offer an alternative explanation for the daunting numbers. “Conversion is part of the story, not all of it, but it’s prominent. When you convert, you become part of the larger group and acquire a sense of belonging. When you’re an outsider it’s easier to leave. The fact that even the CBS labels them as ‘others’ highlights their marginalization.”

Seeking to hear some stories behind the statistics, Haaretz talked to immigrants from the former Soviet Union who have decided to leave Israel, including some of those defined as “others.” Some faced difficulties upon arrival while others felt at home immediately. They all see themselves as Israelis and regard Israel as their home. Those who were considered not Jewish according to halakha said that this was a major component in their sense of not belonging.

“I came here at the age of nine from Moscow, but I’m defined as ‘other,’ like a pig,” says 34-year-old Neta Kunin bitterly. A year ago she followed her partner to Barcelona. “It’s true that non-Jewish Russians leave because they are treated like second-class citizens. You don’t feel it on a daily basis but when you need to be married or buried you can’t do a thing. I didn’t join the army for that reason – why should I serve and then if anything happens you’ll bury me outside the cemetery?”

Kunin says the Jewish issue comes up before marriage does. She told men whom she met that she wasn’t Jewish according to Jewish law. “You meet the most secular man, and as he bites into his lobster he declares that his children have to be Jewish,” she relates cynically. She’s had partners who didn’t tell their parents that she wasn’t Jewish. Her parents and grandparents are pressuring her to convert, but she’s had a traumatic experience with the ordeal. She’s tried three times already. “The first time was with a female rabbinic instructor who tortured us any way she could.“ Kunin says the process involves learning how to tell a kosher egg from a non-kosher one, how to be a woman, to cook, to make dishes kosher, with a little bit of Judaism thrown in.

“I tried again two or three years ago, since I heard a reform had made things easier. It was easier, with men and women together in class, but the lecturer sounded dismissive of our way of life.” What bothered her was that native Israelis don’t have to go through all that to be considered Jewish. “Why should I go through hell, and lie, only to be equal to them? In all these cases women lie to the rabbinical courts. Nobody I know keeps the rules afterwards. The process only produces liars who mock the whole procedure.” She held out longer on her third attempt, but gave up again.

“I believe that someone who’s lived here for 20 years, speaking Hebrew and working for a living, should be able to take a short test in Jewish history and become Jewish – why all this torture and lying?”

After a year in Barcelona, no one asks her if she eats kosher or is Christian. She has no intention of returning. “In Israel there is a daily struggle for survival of people who fight each other, looking for ways to vent their frustration.”

Rabbi Shaul Farber from the Itim NGO, which accompanies immigrants during their conversion process, knows a couple who left after going through it. After a lengthy process they refused to marry when getting their conversion papers, so their conversion fell through. “I don’t think everyone leaves for these reasons, but it is a factor,” he says.

“The problem is not in halakha, but in the people who are running things. One has to find solutions for people who see themselves as Jewish, as belonging to Jewish communities. Some would say, Let them leave, but I want to tell them that Israel belongs to them too.”

Kunin believes it’s easier for immigrants to leave since they’ve immigrated once already, unlike Israelis who are rooted here. “I was born in a country that no longer exists, so my home is Israel.”

Immigrants twice-over

Lena Dagtiar, also 34, who came to Israel at age 12, agrees. “It was easier for me to leave since I wasn’t born there. Like Kunin, she is not considered Jewish by the Rabbinate. She studied biology in Israel and jumped at an offer from Berlin. The Jewish question is part of the public discourse in Israel, which made her feel she didn’t belong. “They constantly discuss it, making you feel not a part of things.”

“I told people I wasn’t Jewish, to put things out in the open, and I even considered converting, but then decided that it wasn’t important.” She was mostly angry that her sister couldn’t get married in Israel. “When I came to Berlin I thought I’d return, but that won’t happen soon. What clinched it was the mentality in Israel – everyone is into your personal affairs with an opinion about your lifestyle. In Berlin you get the feeling that you can be whatever you want to and it’s okay. That’s very special.” The economic situation also played a role, since in Berlin she can make ends meet, unlike in Israel. Nevertheless, she still maintains she feels most at home in Israel.

A., who is Jewish, nevertheless felt like an outsider, like a stigmatized “Russian.” “My children were called names and didn’t want to speak Russian, which annoyed me since we were previously subjected to anti-Semitism in Russia. Here they feel proud of their origins.”

Others interviewed said they left for better business opportunities, noting that they felt at home in Israel and still do. Only in their new countries did they understand what many immigrants in Israel felt, as outsiders.

http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/1,7340,L-4334357,00.html

quote:

Why my friends are leaving Israel

Op-ed: Emigration of well-educated, motivated Russian-speaking Israelis endangers country

I miss my friends very much. It's not what you think - they are all healthy and doing great. But they had to leave Israel. Pavel worked as a driver and had an old CBR600 motorcycle. Today he is in Canada. My cousin Anna lives in Germany (I must say that I'm not crazy about the choice). Mishke, a biologist with a master's degree, the snob of the group who loves jazz, lives in New York. Yuri, my good friend, moved to Australia.

Regretfully, the list is long, and it keeps getting longer. The names of more than five people who are dear to me are added to the list each year. My friends are scattered all over the globe. And it's not as if you can say, "Those bastards; who cares if they leave." They were all the salt of the earth, good citizens. They all went to the army, and many of them served in combat units. But after their service they faced a difficult reality: They studied while working, made a living and performed IDF reserves duty. At a certain point they just couldn't take it anymore.

Only those who have felt the wrath of anti-Semitism and whose families suffered in the Holocaust can truly appreciate the meaning of "To be free people in our land." My friends belong to this group of people. So try to imagine how painful it was for them to leave "our land," in which we are supposed to be "free people." So why did they leave?

Today, the social agenda is being exploited by each and every party. I recently attended a meeting with a politician whom I respect, and he too made the usual comments about the middle class and the immigrants from the former Soviet Union. "Today, you are no longer a sector, but a 'regular' social class," he said. But the Russian-speaking public is not just "part of the middle class"; it is the driving force of the middle class.

Very few countries have to deal with the challenge of absorbing a million educated, motivated people who have a great work ethic. Today, more than 20 years after the big aliyah wave, we can measure the country's success in dealing with this challenge.

For the State, it was a huge success. There is no argument that the aliyah from the former Soviet Union was one of the main causes of the economic prosperity over the last two decades. As for the olim themselves, well, the wave of young, educated people who are leaving Israel is a reflection of how the country absorbed this aliyah. How is this public any different from the other segments of the population that are part of the middle class?

Real estate: Due to the fact that we immigrated from a communist country without any money, at best we purchased one apartment after taking out a mortgage. Unlike the olim who preceded us, we were not eligible to receive free housing from the State, so we have to pay every shekel.

Pension: Income support in Israel is given to the many parasites in the country, but those who made aliyah when they were in their 40s and 50s could not open a pension fund. They worked in Israel for about 20 years, usually taking jobs far beneath their level of education and training, and now they are retiring. These people barely made ends meet and moved down to a lower social class only to be "free people in our land." Do they not deserve to grow old with dignity rather than have to get by on NIS 3000 a month per couple from the National Insurance Institute of Israel?

Glass ceiling: Many professionals made aliyah 20 or more years ago. One would expect that people with a good work ethic and a very high level of perfectionism would achieve great things during this time, and they did – professionally. But financially, they were left behind. There are dozens of companies whose development and engineering are based on Russian-speaking experts, but only a few of these experts own companies or share the profits. There are many explanations for this phenomenon, but the fact is that the only businesses owned by Russian-speaking Israelis are stores that sell Russian food, garages and small workshops.

I admit that this situation has a lot to do with Russian education, which teaches people to overcome and not complain. I am an engineer, not a sociologist, but I want to warn the powers that be that if the emigration from Israel is not stopped, we will all lose. We may even lose the country itself. Because it is not wars or the army or having to learn a new language that breaks these people, it is the absence of the opportunity to live with dignity, start a family or own a home. What breaks these people is the fact that there is no horizon, no hope that something will change.

http://en.idi.org.il/analysis/articles/why-are-the-russians-leaving-israel

quote:

Why are the Russians Leaving Israel?

According to data from Israel's Central Bureau of Statistics, 48% of those who emmigrate from Israel are immigrants from the FSU (former Soviet Union). These emigrants are educated and young people who are unable to fulfill their potential here in Israel. This statistic should worry any responsible, thinking person who sees (or wishes to see) Israel as a developed nation. But in practice, the response has been different: "this doesn't surprise me," says Ruby Rivlin, who was present when the issue was debated by Israel's parliamentary Absorption Committee; "after all, they're not Zionists." "This doesn't surprise us," say some members of Israeli academia. "It's natural that every wave of immigrants realizes its goals only after several generations."

It is hard to argue with this view, which sees the departure of the Russians as a natural, even expected, phenomenon. True, most of these immigrants work more than native Israelis, pay their taxes, uphold the laws of the state, and serve in the army; yet there is no disputing the fact that tiny Israel is burdened with the problems of absorbing, within a short time frame, a million immigrants with professions that do not always suit the needs of its modest economy. They segregate themselves within a local Russian culture that appears threatening to many Israelis. Roughly one-third are not Jewish according to religious criteria. So there is certain logic to the question of why the Russians, of all groups, should acclimatize more rapidly than previous groups of immigrants. Did not the Moroccans also need time to fit in?

Extreme cases dominate the public discourse: Israel's integration of physicians, high-tech workers, and pole vaulters offers proof of our great accomplishment, and politicians clearly prefer these success stories; but members of the media, accustomed to dealing with exceptions at the other end of the scale, tend to focus on alcoholics, neo-Nazis, and call girls. Predictably enough, no one is seeking an answer to the question of what is really happening with the average immigrant, and why Russians are leaving the country in such large numbers.

The answer is complicated, and unpleasant for patriotic Israelis to hear. It is quite possible that this country is simply too crowded and not advanced enough for the most ambitious of its immigrants. In stark contrast to some of the previous immigrant groups, it seems that the Russians do not have the time to wait until the first and second generations have sacrificed themselves for the third generation, who, by that time, will be "real Israelis"—that is, have friends in the right places and know how to get along in the densely packed Israeli space, even without qualifications or academic degrees. The Russians came here to succeed and get ahead with the clear understanding that they (and their children) already have something to contribute to their new country in the present generation. Their aims and expectations were high. Their disappointments are unbearable. Moreover, the bulk of Russian immigrants in Canada, the US, and Australia have actually managed, over time, to improve their socioeconomic standing and even to advance themselves.

Recently, new studies have been published in Israel on the subject of aliyah. Sociologists describe a sharp drop in the socioeconomic status of Russian immigrants to Israel in the 1990s, and their situation has not improved in the second generation. Thousands of immigrants with academic backgrounds, who were respected as highly skilled professionals in their country of origin, are now working in factories in Israel's peripheral areas. For a long time now, the terms "supermarket check-out girl," "security guard," and "1990s immigrant" have been virtually synonymous. Unfortunately, high-tech workers and pole vaulters do nothing to improve this statistic, which is seen here as natural.

There are immigrants who have not learned Hebrew, a fact that hampers them severely in their ability to succeed. This is not only due to the scandalous level of the ulpanim (intensive Hebrew study programs). It seems that the Soviet work ethic caused them indirect harm: Working hard from the day they arrived left them neither time nor strength for the language or the children for whose sake they came. The result is that, based on the example of their parents, some of these children have concluded that there is no connection between education and advancement, and hence, no need to go to university. Those who do pursue a higher education sometimes discover that all the workplaces that suit their skills have already been filled by long-term residents with the right "ties." The country is too dense, and the competition too brutal, for the immigrants to achieve the standard of living they desire. The Jewish Agency does not tell any immigrant that the path for the good life in Israel is too long, and that latecomers are guaranteed a place only at the back. Many of them are willing to wait; others are not.

To conclude, let me present a statistic that exposes the grim reality in which Israel, as an absorber of immigrants, finds itself. According to a survey conducted by the Guttman Center on behalf of the Institute for Jewish Studies in the CIS, Jews who have remained in Russia and Ukraine have no desire to move here: No less than 59% fear immigrating to Israel due to the expected drop in their socioeconomic status.

The time has come to stop investing resources and effort in "aliyah-boosting" in global backwaters by Jewish Agency propagandists. These resources would be better spent in improving the absorption of those who are already here, in developing Israel's border towns, in building transportation infrastructure between the center and periphery, in ensuring suitable working conditions, and in fighting corruption and cronyism in Israel. Hopefully, this would make Israel's economy more flexible and attractive, bringing new immigrants who could realize their potential—for their good and the good of the state—and enabling us to hold onto the fine people who are already here.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Main Paineframe posted:

Plight of Russian olim

While I am well aware of the struggles of Russian- and other FSU-born olim, do you have any data confirming that they are indeed leaving "in droves"? Being half of those leaving for more than a year, when you're talking about 20% of the Jewish population, and a significant number of the recent Jewish immigrants, is not surprising. The question is whether their population in country is decreasing or increasing compared to others.

You should also factor in the backlash from Russian revanchism in Eastern Ukraine. That may up the number of FSU-sourced immigrants, further counteracting the trend you are positing.

ETA:

Just to get a sense of how some media is covering the US-Israel relationship in light of Netanyahu's upcoming speech, this is the graphic the Hebrew version of Ynet posts as a theme for stories such as this:

The writing in yellow is "הקרע"="The Rift".

A similar story on the more right-wing and usually pretty pro-Netanyahu NRG is categorized under "Crisis in Relations".

This is on both their front pages. Meanwhile, if you go to the paper Adelson funds for Bibi, Yisrael Hayom, their homepage barely mentions any of this, except to refer to that letter Democrats sent to persuade Netanayhu to meet them privately, which the paper presents as them trying to find a way to save face. A paragraph there repeats their warnings about the consequences of his actions. Otherwise, everything is going great for him in Israel Today! :haw:

Absurd Alhazred fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Feb 25, 2015

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Two things I can't source:

1. 201X was the first year when the outgoing emigration total exceeded the incoming immigration total.

2. Israel is the tutorial level of immigration, particularly for people coming from the Soviet Union (since when did FSU become a stable acronym, anyways?). If you're used to flowing along with the stream, rather than carving your own path in life, Israel is the place to be - you get a place to live, language courses and temporary employment just for showing up and breathing.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

When is Netanyahu supposed to actually speak anyway? I thought this would have happened weeks ago. Feels like we have been discussing this for 3 months.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Googled it, it's next Tuesday:

quote:

The head of Israel's election commission acted on Monday to limit any pre-election boost Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu may get from a March 3 speech to the U.S. Congress, in which he will warn of the threat from Iran's nuclear program.
For context, the election is the 17th.

Also, apparently Natantyahu tried to invite Kuwait and UAE ambassadors to attend. They refused, obviously, because no Arabic politician would be caught dead there even if it's from nations threatened by Iran.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
The day Netanyahu came to your capital was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday.

bpower
Feb 19, 2011
Thought it was 2 weeks before the election which is on the 17th March. I dont know whats worse trying to sabotage his closest allies foreign policy or turning whats traditionally seen as a huge honor in to a stump speech. He really is a shameless mother fucker.

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

There are five fucks at the edge of a cliff...

HGH posted:

Googled it, it's next Tuesday:

For context, the election is the 17th.

Also, apparently Natantyahu tried to invite Kuwait and UAE ambassadors to attend. They refused, obviously, because no Arabic politician would be caught dead there even if it's from nations threatened by Iran.

Man if only Israel accepted that arab deal and pulled back to the 67 borders they would have had allies readily in the region to threaten iran :v:

Fizzil fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Feb 25, 2015

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

Absurd Alhazred posted:

If these are the results it's going to be a difficult time for anyone other than Netanyahu to form a coalition, I think.
Would Likud include Yachad in a coalition, or is that going a bridge too far for them?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Bibi would include the ghost of Idi Amin Dada if it would ensure he gets to be prime minister for a couple of extra months.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Bibi would include the ghost of Idi Amin Dada if it would ensure he gets to be prime minister for a couple of extra months.

Hey now, there are lines even Bibi won't cross.

Like talking to United Arab List. He'd rather not be PM than have to talk to them, for instance.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Absurd Alhazred posted:

While I am well aware of the struggles of Russian- and other FSU-born olim, do you have any data confirming that they are indeed leaving "in droves"? Being half of those leaving for more than a year, when you're talking about 20% of the Jewish population, and a significant number of the recent Jewish immigrants, is not surprising. The question is whether their population in country is decreasing or increasing compared to others.

You should also factor in the backlash from Russian revanchism in Eastern Ukraine. That may up the number of FSU-sourced immigrants, further counteracting the trend you are positing.

If 20% of the population makes up 50% of those leaving, then that's definitely a disproportionate amount. And since I doubt the birthrate is making up for it, considering that immigrants have expressed considerable pessimism about being able to or willing to raise families in Israel. Getting hard numbers is fairly difficult, though, because the Israeli government doesn't seem to actually record the number of people leaving the country in any given year, so most estimates come are based on increases in the number of Israelis recorded as living abroad on a long-term basis (even if they're living abroad permanently, they still retain Israeli citizenship).

However, the ex-Soviet Israelis aren't the only immigrants leaving, they're just the largest immigrant bloc. And it's not just immigrants, either. Young people are the other main demographic emigrating from Israel. The percentage of emigrants with university degrees is double what it is among the general population. It's not a good sign for Israel's future - immigrants are leaving because of poor economic prospects and the state's failure to absorb them, young educated people are leaving because of poor economic prospects and poorer support for leftism, and so on.

Aside from the issues of brain drain, demographic shifts among Jews, and such, there's a larger problem that is causing serious concern among Israeli leadership - the demographic bomb. The secular, nationalist right is intent on attracting as many immigrants as possible in order to make up for the higher population growth among Israeli non-Jews. To them, Jewish-identifying people leaving Israel is a major crisis that threatens the Jewish state. Indeed, the desire to increase the number of self-identified Jews at any cost has led to drastic measures, which I'll cover in the third of this series of effortposts.

http://foreignpolicy.com/2011/07/05/the-million-missing-israelis/

quote:

More than six decades of statehood, successive Israeli governments have repeatedly stressed the centrality of Jewish immigration and the Law of Return of all Jews to Israel for the well-being, security, and survival of the nation. Yet while much is published on Jewish immigration to Israel, considerably less information is available about Jewish emigration from Israel.

Government estimates of the numbers of Israelis residing abroad vary greatly due mainly to the lack of an adequate recording system. Consequently, scholars and others have questioned the accuracy of government figures. Besides the statistical and methodological shortcomings, the number of Israeli expatriates is open to considerable debate and controversy because of its enormous demographic, social, and political significance both within and outside Israel.

At the lower end is the official estimate of 750,000 Israeli emigrants — 10 percent of the population — issued by the Israeli Ministry of Immigrant Absorption, which is about the same as that for Mexico, Morocco, and Sri Lanka. Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s government places the current number of Israeli citizens living abroad in the range of 800,000 to 1 million, representing up to 13 percent of the population, which is relatively high among OECD countries. Consistent with this latter figure is the estimated 1 million Israelis in the Diaspora reported at the first-ever global conference of Israelis living abroad, held in this January.

Current estimates of Israelis living abroad are substantially higher than those for the past. During Israel’s first decade, some 100,000 Jews are believed to have emigrated from Israel. By 1980, Israel’s Central Bureau of Statistics estimated some 270,000 Israelis living abroad for more than a year, or 7 percent of the population. Several decades later, the number of Israeli emigrants had swelled to about 550,000 — or almost double the proportion at the end of the 1950s.

Of the Israelis currently residing abroad, roughly 60 percent are believed to have settled in North America, a quarter in Europe, and 15 percent distributed across the rest of the world. It is estimated that about 45 percent of the adult Israeli expatriates have completed at least a university degree, in contrast to 22 percent of the Israeli population. The Israeli emigrants are deemed to be disproportionately secular, liberal, and cosmopolitan. Furthermore, the emigrants are generally younger than the immigrants to Israel, especially those from the former Soviet Union, hastening the aging of Israel’s population.

The often-cited reasons for Israeli emigration center on seeking better living and financial conditions, employment and professional opportunities, and higher education, as well as pessimism regarding prospects for peace. Consistent with these motives, one of the most frequently given explanations for leaving Israel is: "The question is not why we left, but why it took us so long to do so." And recent opinion polls find that almost half of Israeli youth would prefer to live somewhere else if they had the chance. Again, the most often-cited reason to emigrate is because the situation in Israel is viewed as "not good."

Another important factor contributing to the outflow of Jewish Israelis is previous emigration experience. As 40 percent of Jewish Israelis are foreign-born, emigration is nothing new for many in the country. Moreover, as Israeli emigrants cannot yet vote from abroad, they are likely to feel marginalized from mainstream Israeli society, further contributing to their decision to remain abroad as well as attracting others to do the same. Whether the Netanyahu government’s effort in the Knesset to approve a bill granting voting rights to Israelis living abroad will slow the trend is uncertain.

Adding to emigration pressures, many Israelis have already taken preliminary steps to eventually leaving. One survey found close to 60 percent of Israelis had approached or were intending to approach a foreign embassy to ask for citizenship and a passport. An estimated 100,000 Israelis have German passports, while more are applying for passports based on their German ancestry. And a large number of Israelis have dual nationality, including an estimated 500,000 Israelis holding U.S. passports (with close to a quarter-million pending applications).

Population projections show that Jewish Israelis will remain the large majority in Israel for the foreseeable future. However, it will be a challenge for Jewish Israelis to maintain their current dominant majority of approximately 75 percent, primarily due to higher fertility among non-Jewish Israelis — nearly one child per woman greater — the depletion of the large pool of likely potential Jewish immigrants, and large-scale Jewish Israeli emigration. Consequently, demographic projections expect the Jewish proportion of the country — which peaked at 89 percent in 1957 — to continue declining over the coming decades, approaching a figure closer to two-thirds of the population by mid-century.

The emigration of a large proportion of a country’s population, especially the well-educated and highly skilled, poses serious challenges for any nation. However, large-scale emigration is particularly problematic for Israel given its relatively small population, unique ethnic composition, and regional political context.

Moreover, not only is Israeli emigration increasing the influence of the orthodox Jewish communities, it is also boosting the need for temporary, non-Jewish foreign workers, especially in agriculture, construction, and care-giving. The presence of more than 200,000 foreign workers — nearly half of whom are unauthorized and mainly from Asia (in particular Thailand and the Philippines, but also increasingly from Africa) — is also contributing to the changing ethnic composition of the country.

The departure of Jewish Israelis also contributes to the undermining of the Zionist ideology. If large numbers of Jewish Israelis are opting to emigrate, why would Jews who are well integrated and accepted in other countries immigrate to Israel? Furthermore, up to a quarter of young Israelis in Europe marry outside their faith. The majority do not belong to a Jewish community and do not participate in any Jewish activities. As with other expatriate groups in Western nations, Israelis living abroad often profess their intention to return. However, Israeli emigrants are likely to remain in their adopted countries insofar as they and their families have become successfully settled and integrated.

Israeli governments have already consistently perceived immigration levels as too low and emigration levels as too high. In addition to policies encouraging immigration for permanent settlement, Israel has programs and media campaigns actively promoting the return of Israelis residing overseas. The government also maintains connections with the country’s expatriates through mandatory registration in its consulates overseas and outreach programs and activities — and provides counseling, guidance, financial assistance, and tax benefits to returning citizens.

Despite these efforts, it is doubtful based on past and current trends that these various incentives and appeals will be sufficient to entice the return of the million missing Israelis. Large-scale emigration has not only resulted in critical demographic and socioeconomic imbalances in the country, but more importantly poses grave political challenges and jeopardizes the basic Jewish character and integrity of Israel.

Main Paineframe fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Feb 25, 2015

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

emanresu tnuocca posted:

If he got desperate, maybe, but he's been reluctant to include people too far right (really!) in his coalition in the past. He hasn't allowed the previous Kach-like entities in.

Main Paineframe posted:

If 20% of the population makes up 50% of those leaving, then that's definitely a disproportionate amount.

Again, they may be 20% of the total population, but from the Foreign Policy piece you cite below, "40 percent of Jewish Israelis are foreign-born". That actually means that them being half of the emigrating population is entirely explained by them being new immigrants. As one of your previous citations noted, it's somewhat natural for migrants to become dissatisfied with where they've ended up.

(I realize this requires closer scrutiny, as not all those who leave are recent immigrants, but a model of the vast majority of those emigrating being recent immigrants, while a small minority is those from more established backgrounds, would fit with the data you've presented so far, and would show that Russian immigrants do not face statistically meaningful additional challenges.)

quote:

And since I doubt the birthrate is making up for it, considering that immigrants have expressed considerable pessimism about being able to or willing to raise families in Israel. Getting hard numbers is fairly difficult, though, because the Israeli government doesn't seem to actually record the number of people leaving the country in any given year, so most estimates come are based on increases in the number of Israelis recorded as living abroad on a long-term basis (even if they're living abroad permanently, they still retain Israeli citizenship).

I understand that measurement is (intentionally) difficult: for example, when my parents, who were studying abroad when they had my brother and myself, came back to Israel, the immigration authorities insisted on recording us children as new immigrants, basically to improve their stats.

quote:

However, the ex-Soviet Israelis aren't the only immigrants leaving, they're just the largest immigrant bloc. And it's not just immigrants, either. Young people are the other main demographic emigrating from Israel. The percentage of emigrants with university degrees is double what it is among the general population. It's not a good sign for Israel's future - immigrants are leaving because of poor economic prospects and the state's failure to absorb them, young educated people are leaving because of poor economic prospects and poorer support for leftism, and so on.

I can tell you that those are many of the reasons that I emigrated, and yet while there are a few people in my peer group who have emigrated, it's not really all that a big proportion. I will be meeting a lot of my friends (or have the chance to, not sure if it will happen due to time constraints) when I come visit in Israel, and they skew leftist and well-educated.

quote:

Aside from the issues of brain drain, demographic shifts among Jews, and such, there's a larger problem that is causing serious concern among Israeli leadership - the demographic bomb. The secular, nationalist right is intent on attracting as many immigrants as possible in order to make up for the higher population growth among Israeli non-Jews. To them, Jewish-identifying people leaving Israel is a major crisis that threatens the Jewish state. Indeed, the desire to increase the number of self-identified Jews at any cost has led to drastic measures, which I'll cover in the third of this series of effortposts.

If I'm not mistaken, Haredi Jews, at least, more than make up for it. But I'm happy to read your third series of sources and see what's what. Thanks for going to the trouble! :)

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Absurd Alhazred posted:

If he got desperate, maybe, but he's been reluctant to include people too far right (really!) in his coalition in the past. He hasn't allowed the previous Kach-like entities in.

True, yet his own party used to include Feiglin who is as Messiah Crazed as they come and still includes the likes of Dannon and Levin and of course the official sponsor of LEHAVA Ms. Tzipi Hotobelli, although the old bibs did try to rig the likud elections to keep her out.

In the current constellation he won't sit with Yachad cause he simply doesn't need them and there's little incentive to include an ideologically motivated party that represents such a small electorate, he'll take Shas over them any day of the week.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

emanresu tnuocca posted:

True, yet his own party used to include Feiglin who is as Messiah Crazed as they come and still includes the likes of Dannon and Levin and of course the official sponsor of LEHAVA Ms. Tzipi Hotobelli, although the old bibs did try to rig the likud elections to keep her out.

He'd been doing the same to Feiglin for years, too.

quote:

In the current constellation he won't sit with Yachad cause he simply doesn't need them and there's little incentive to include an ideologically motivated party that represents such a small electorate, he'll take Shas over them any day of the week.

Yeah, even if they were a solid option he'd be reluctant because they'd scare anybody to the left of him away. He always likes having a bit of a buffer between him and the left inside coalition, to keep up his patriotic cred. He also always wants someone to the right of him so he gets to sell himself as cool-headed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Left bloc: Zionist Camp - Yesh Atid - Meretz = 42.
Right bloc: Likud - Bayit Yehudi - Yachad = 39.

Hareidi bloc (UTJ - Shas): = 14. Will never sit in government with Yesh Atid
Joint Arab List = 12. Will never sit in a government (or be invited to one)

Kulanu and Yisrael Beytenu are tossups but both lean right and have no problem being in government with Netanyahu.

Hard right bloc - Likud / Bayit Yehudi / Yachad / Hareidi / Israel Beytenu = 62. However Netanyahu hates coalitions that are that close (it gives minor parties too much power to bring down the government) and will try to invite as many as possible. However all that's really left is Kulanu for another 7 which would counteract a minor party leaving. This is why some people are muttering about a Likud / Zionist Camp coalition, which literally everyone voting for both parties would hate, which is totally a Netanyahu thing to do!

• Locked thread