Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Never played it but I heard it was just "references: the game" and not much else.

Is that not correct?

It's basically old GTA on an NES with a story mode that's driven by references.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Bravely Default is really fun, as is SMT IV

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

littleorv posted:

SMTIV is really easy actually

Edit: actually I should say it isn't easy but it's not challenging either once you figure out what you are doing. My apologies

Pick up Devil Survivor Overclocked and when it comes out Devil Survivor 2 if you haven't played them yet.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
please do not buy bravely defautl

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Bravely Default is to FF as Disgaea is to FFT

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

no it's not

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

No it really isn't see Disgaea is good too so you analogy doesn't work well.

Bravely Default is to FF as FFTA2 is to FFT works better.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

that's also a bad comparison, what's with you people

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Why do I have Flipnote Studio 3D in my Club Nintendo?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Lemming posted:

Why do I have Flipnote Studio 3D in my Club Nintendo?

A parting gift because of Club Nintendo's closing.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

I haven't posted about the Majora's Mask New 3DS XL in a few days and this thread is still terrible so time to post again.

Pre-release pre-orders were hovering in the 350-400 range, release-day prices were hovering in the 450-500 range.
Today? 300-350 range sellers aren't managing to move product while 400+ systems stagnate in the homes of scalpers everywhere.
Update: Lowest eBay price is 250 bucks. Ha!

victrix posted:

Bravely Default is to FF as Disgaea is to FFT
So it's an awesome game. Cool. (I finally bought it and am loving it so far because I haven't played a JRPG in years and finally felt the bug bite me with all the drat FF15 footage.)

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Feb 25, 2015

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Bravely Default, is good

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Bravely Default is a very good game. Sheesh this game got massive praise when it came out on SA...I guess Goons really will hate anything and everything.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think I'll get SMT Devil Survivor Overclocked instead of Bravely Default, because SMT is pretty drat good.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Turtlicious posted:

I think I'll get SMT Devil Survivor Overclocked instead of Bravely Default, because SMT is pretty drat good.

Let's see until you get to the Wendigo in that game. :unsmigghh:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Kirios posted:

Bravely Default is a very good game. Sheesh this game got massive praise when it came out on SA...I guess Goons really will hate anything and everything.

It is absolutely not a BAD game but there is a LOT missing from it that would elevate it above "a good brainless RPG". It's as deep or even less deep than the DS Dragon Quest remakes, arguably less charming than them, and yet goons poo poo themselves calling it some kind of loving masterpiece.

I liked it, but c'mon C'mon. It's really not that good. Like I said, Four Heroes Of Light was better.

Grinspork
Jun 20, 2004

DEHUMANIZE YOURSELF AND FACE TO BLOODSHED
I'll let everyone in on Goon Opinions:

Don't listen to them, draw your own. Check out other websites. Please.

There are goons that exist who will argue to the brim that Metroid: Other M was a good game.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Most of the hate for Bravely Default (justifiably) comes from the time loop gimmick the game drops on you around 2/3 into the game. I loved it right up till then.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Space Fish posted:

Retro City Rampage is fun as hell and shame on anyone who hesitated to represent for it.

Riiiight, thanks! I had seen RCR a while ago but forgot about it. I bought it this morning and played through the intro. Looks like fun, but I really hope the driving grows on me. It feels so stiff and NESy, I know that's for verisimilitude, but it don't feel good. I haven't had more than light eye rolling at the pop culture references so far.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

I'm kind of considering just biting the bullet and getting a the NN3DSXL instead of importing a standard one. If I do this though, is there anyway of connecting the NNID I had on my old 3DSXL that I sold to GameStop approximately 9 months ago, and thus no longer have?

Am I going to be just outta luck on all the games I purchased on eShop?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Variable_H posted:

I'm kind of considering just biting the bullet and getting a the NN3DSXL instead of importing a standard one. If I do this though, is there anyway of connecting the NNID I had on my old 3DSXL that I sold to GameStop approximately 9 months ago, and thus no longer have?

Am I going to be just outta luck on all the games I purchased on eShop?

Call Nintendo and try your luck.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Cat Machine posted:

Most of the hate for Bravely Default (justifiably) comes from the time loop gimmick the game drops on you around 2/3 into the game. I loved it right up till then.

Pretty much. I mean, I still recommend the game, but I always point out the caveat that it pulls some really stupid poo poo about 30 hours in and they shouldn't feel obligated to finish it, because those first 30 hours are really good.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
The real issue with Bravely Default is that if you don't love the battle system, and I mean really love it, there is nothing else in the game to do. There are no towns to explore. There is all of like one secret to unlock. Areas are reused again and again. As you revisit these place, the only thing that changes is dialog, and I still argue that the dialog is largely bad, frequently creepy, and the story isn't worth reading anyway.

It's just so incredibly stale the entire game. The developer tacitly admits that the battle system, the core and soul of the game, isn't all that interesting because they give you the option to play the entire game in fastforward, which you will.

There are just so many bad design choices at every stage of the game. Levels don't actually matter. Job levels do, but only if you pair them correctly. You can run a level 99 party with max job levels and equipment and still get super easily wiped by bosses. Every dungeon ends with the same save point and vendor because the bosses can be tough and finding the right party to conquer a boss is basically the only meat in the entire game. So why even bother with levels or random encounters and why not just make it about jobs and bosses? It doesn't make any sense to me. It's like some dude said, "Well, it's like a Final Fantasy and those have random encounters, better include them and make them just important enough that you can't turn them off the entire game, just for most of the time."

But I've been saying this since around release and people are still praising it.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Cat Machine posted:

That part isn't even that bad, because you can just turn off the random encounters and do as much, or as few, of the sidequests as you want. Once you get to that point, you can finish the game in an hour or two with the encounters turned off. It is really not as bad as people keep harping about around here. Makes me think they didn't turn off the random encounters! Speaking of that,

Atlas Hugged posted:

The real issue with Bravely Default is that if you don't love the battle system, and I mean really love it, there is nothing else in the game to do. There are no towns to explore. There is all of like one secret to unlock. Areas are reused again and again. As you revisit these place, the only thing that changes is dialog, and I still argue that the dialog is largely bad, frequently creepy, and the story isn't worth reading anyway.

It's just so incredibly stale the entire game. The developer tacitly admits that the battle system, the core and soul of the game, isn't all that interesting because they give you the option to play the entire game in fastforward, which you will.

There are just so many bad design choices at every stage of the game. Levels don't actually matter. Job levels do, but only if you pair them correctly. You can run a level 99 party with max job levels and equipment and still get super easily wiped by bosses. Every dungeon ends with the same save point and vendor because the bosses can be tough and finding the right party to conquer a boss is basically the only meat in the entire game. So why even bother with levels or random encounters and why not just make it about jobs and bosses? It doesn't make any sense to me. It's like some dude said, "Well, it's like a Final Fantasy and those have random encounters, better include them and make them just important enough that you can't turn them off the entire game, just for most of the time."

But I've been saying this since around release and people are still praising it.

What are you on about? You can totally turn the random encounters off at any point and keep them off forever! The only time you have to fight random encounters is if you want to. Once you find the really good grinding spot, you can max out your jobs in a couple hours while you watch a movie or something.

Now, granted I maxed out all the jobs on everyone because I really liked the battle system, but you don't even have to go that far. Just get the skills you want each character to use, and done. Then you can get to the real fun stuff, which is completely destroying bosses before they can even move. :getin:

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Read it again. I didn't say you couldn't turn them off. I said you could turn them off, but you couldn't leave them off the entire game. They're just important enough that you have to turn them on at some points. So it's not just a game about choosing the best job combination to fight gimmick bosses. It's got a whole bunch of vestigial bullshit that the game doesn't otherwise need.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I loved Bravely Default, it's probably my favorite 3DS game outside of maybe VLR or Link Between Worlds. It was essentially a love letter to people who stopped liking Final Fantasy once it moved to 3D but with a million quality of life improvements and some good challenge in the boss fights. I can get over the tediousness of the last third of the game based mostly on the battle system still being superlative and being able to turn off random encounters. Presumably/hopefully the sequel will not have this problem in the first place though.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
To be fair the classic snes final fantasies were not all that great either

course, the new ones are weird and embarrassing but still

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Cat Machine posted:

Bingo.

Bravely Default is a really good game with a great soundtrack and combat system up until they ran out of content and just had you redo things as slight remixes three or four times.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

KingSlime posted:

To be fair the classic snes final fantasies were not all that great either

course, the new ones are weird and embarrassing but still

FF6 and Chrono Trigger really have been the only good RPGs to come out of Square in the last 20 years, in my opinion. FF7 might be a distant third, but most of that was just the craziness of the graphics at the time, the storyline was loving retarded.

Oh, and the original Xenogears.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Saagonsa posted:

Bravely Default is really fun, as is SMT IV

Nah both are really boring and bad

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Well I for one like FF8 and 9 a lot and also Kingdom Hearts 2. FF12 looks pretty cool from videos I've seen of it but I never played it.

And Square's Eidos arm has put out sine good games.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Suspicious Cook posted:

Bravely Default is a really good game with a great soundtrack and combat system up until they ran out of content and just had you redo things as slight remixes three or four times.
This is the thing - the game's first ending hits about 40 or 50 hours in. They could totally have just ended things there, or condensed the time loop into something less drawn-out as an epilogue. JRPG developers seem to have problems just letting a game last as long as it needs to, and I think artificially long play times has a lot to do with the genre's decline since the 90s.

Silver Falcon posted:

What are you on about? You can totally turn the random encounters off at any point and keep them off forever! The only time you have to fight random encounters is if you want to. Once you find the really good grinding spot, you can max out your jobs in a couple hours while you watch a movie or something.
You're doing a very poor job of defending the game's combat system if your best argument is "you can literally watch a movie while playing".

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Is MH4U's demo a good indication of the game? Found the demo a bit... Lackluster.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

This is why chrono trigger is the perfect JRPG. Great soundtrack, fun characters, neat and tidy story, and clocks around 20-25 hours depending on how much you want to complete. There is little to no grinding and it's all just fun.

IRSmurf
Mar 27, 2010

Etrips posted:

Is MH4U's demo a good indication of the game? Found the demo a bit... Lackluster.

No, not even a little bit. I didn't enjoy the demo at all. After being convinced by friends to get the full game, it's my favorite 3DS title.

The full version trains you to play and explains everything. There are quests, crafting, multiplayer, single player, etc. There seems to be a mountain of content.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

IRSmurf posted:

No, not even a little bit. I didn't enjoy the demo at all. After being convinced by friends to get the full game, it's my favorite 3DS title.

The full version trains you to play and explains everything. There are quests, crafting, multiplayer, single player, etc. There seems to be a mountain of content.

Thanks. Guess i will pick it up!

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The concept behind the time loops in BD is fine, and in fact chapters 6 and 7 have some good character development/banter and some fun boss battles. It's the number of times you have to do that's the problem. If they cut out chapters 5 and 8 I wouldn't have had a problem with it at all.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

This is why chrono trigger is the perfect JRPG. Great soundtrack, fun characters, neat and tidy story, and clocks around 20-25 hours depending on how much you want to complete. There is little to no grinding and it's all just fun.

comparing Chrono to BD is kind of funny because like someone else said, there is pretty much nothing to the game world, no interesting people in towns, no great places to explore, not many great secrets. You're just mainly grinding and sometimes you can do side-missions for classes earlier than usual but that's the gist of it. It's not what I'd call a bad game because I played it for quite a bit, but for something touted as a huge return to JRPG form, all it really offered was "job system you liked plus now you can turn encounters the gently caress off" which is more an apology for the godawful random encounter system. Encounters in games like Mario RPG and again, Chrono Trigger, were better because they were onscreen or in set locations.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Man, I picked up a a really lovely Nu Gundam model kit some like 7 to 10 years ago, and it came with a screwdriver. Fit the N3DS screws perfectly.

It's so great when your hobbies interconnect in a fun way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

lol at people still complaining about Chapters 5-8 in Bravely Default. You can complete them in less than 2 hours if you really don't like it.

Some of the opinions posted about it in the past page or two are hilariously wrong.