Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
Where does a 5% salary bump compare at a big company?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Kim Jong Il posted:

Where does a 5% salary bump compare at a big company?

If that's an annual raise, it's pretty high. My company's annual raises are usually around 3-4%, depending on performance reviews and the company's financials. Hell, a lot of companies don't give regular raises every year, or at all. Last place I worked at never gave raises (not even cost-of-living adjustments), and salary increases for promotions were capped at 10% regardless of the market rate for the position you were moving to; I'd worked my way up to sysadmin from an entry level tech support position and my salary when I left wasn't even on the bell curve for that job at any of the salary survey sites.

Miss-Bomarc
Aug 1, 2009

Sundae posted:

nobody wants to put in the work to make their systems truly compliant...so instead we get bullshit half-measures like 100% cell-by-cell manual audits on any export or conversion of data, complete with a signature trail and locking down electronic files where you have to manually request them from a department.
Actually I don't think it's laziness; I think it's more likely that manual cell-by-cell audit is all that the people responsible for compliance are capable of understanding. The idea that Magic Whizbang Computer Hoohah could ever actually be right is, like, whoa, you don't know what goes on in there, those hackers can do anything. But a cell-by-cell manual audit, that fits very nicely within the brain of someone who barely graduated with a "C" in an English major and got put in the compliance job because she would be an utter disaster if you let her anywhere near production but she isn't attractive enough to be a sales rep.

Sundae posted:

the only thing I like doing in the industry is going the way of the dinosaurs (actual lab-scale R&D)
Dude, none of the big companies do their own R+D anymore. There's no money in it, since the FDA made it clear that personally-tailored medications wouldn't be allowed (not to mention them being so focused on Not Another Vioxx that your drug could bring the dead back to life and they'd ask whether you studied the long-term side effects). Drug development is done by tiny startups who get VC funds, take something to an NDA, and then sell out.

Although my mom says that dropping out and going to a consulting role is great for someone with experience, because everyone assumes that since they're paying you three times as much then you're the solution to the problem rather than the cause.

Sundae posted:

"Sundae did a fantastic job and saved the company's bacon in November and December last year. However, all end-of-year calibration meetings were held in October, so these accomplishments cannot be counted for performance. Ranking: Met Expectations."
next year: "Sundae, what's all this stuff from November and December of 2014? This is supposed to be your performance review for 2015."

Sundae posted:

Our Investigations group has a metric of "have no more than 30 open investigations at any time" which is stupid for similar reasons: lack of input into the generation process. They don't create manufacturing errors - they just investigate the causes and recommend corrections. If 30+ mistakes happen in a week (this has happened several times), the Investigations group gets dinged for their metric because they have more than 30 open.
Well, the assumption is that they should be finishing the investigations quickly and that way there wouldn't be 30 open at once and it is totally impossible for our process to be so hosed up that we can have more than 30 mistakes happen in a short period of time! :V

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Got an e-mail from boss man. Management is now starting to track ticket create times for something that tends to be notoriously out of our control.

If there is a large discrepancy, we have received permission to change the ticket time to allow us to...basically sweep it under the rug. I ask my boss to "please define a 'large discrepancy'" and am met with "Use your judgement".

Um, my judgement says that anything over our SLA is a large discrepancy :getin:

I love this place sometimes. Management puts in place some nonsensical rule, then gives us permission and tools to undermine it to make the numbers look better so that the very people who created the rule can be pleased with the results. If you're going to actively allow us to cut corners to meet some metric, just do away with the metric. Nobody's actually using it for anything other than for some self masturbatory fantasy. Of course, I know the reasoning for this is just so our management has some way to make themselves look better for their end of year bonuses.

edit:

And after working on this all day today, it looks like a bug was introduced that causes a 33 minute time discrepancy on every single ticket. That means we are set up for failure before we even try since our SLA is 30 minutes. Of course I can't say this without hurting someone's feelings and getting in trouble.

I'm going to say it anyway. Then update my resume.

For clarification, I work a NOC, so it's my job to find broken poo poo and escalate it to appropriate groups. Basically what's happening is that at 12:30, an alert will pop up for me saying "hey, poo poo broke at 12:00", then boss man comes out and complains that it took me 30 minutes to make the ticket even though I acted on it immediately. For some reason nobody's actually noticed this and instead assumed we were all lazy and incompetent. (which is also true :v:)

Renegret fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Feb 22, 2015

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
I have a meeting on my calendar today with the following subject: HUDDLE TO PATHFIND THE APPROVAL GLIDEPATH

Assignment: Create an MSPaint rendition of what this phrase means to you. :v: I'm just astounded at the number of bullshit corporatisms the guy threw into a six-word subject.

Poop Cupcake
Dec 31, 2005

Sundae posted:

I have a meeting on my calendar today with the following subject: HUDDLE TO PATHFIND THE APPROVAL GLIDEPATH

Assignment: Create an MSPaint rendition of what this phrase means to you. :v: I'm just astounded at the number of bullshit corporatisms the guy threw into a six-word subject.

What the hell does this even mean? :psyduck:

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Apparently it means "Group meeting to figure out the best approach to getting a document approved in a timely fashion."

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

MSPaint yourself deleting MSPaint from every computer in the company.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Sundae posted:

:psyduck: this is considered a good use of company time and money?

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

quote:

MSPaint yourself deleting MSPaint from every computer in the company.

Nail Rat posted:

:psyduck: this is considered a good use of company time and money?

No, the MSPaint part was me jokingly asking the thread what it interpreted that subject to mean. The rest of the actual e-mail was gobbledygook about approval timelines.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Sundae posted:

No, the MSPaint part was me jokingly asking the thread what it interpreted that subject to mean. The rest of the actual e-mail was gobbledygook about approval timelines.

It says a lot about your work that everyone in the thread just assumed that was something your office would actually ask you to do.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

Sundae posted:

I think it means that you could have all of your future email communication handled by a decent Markov text generator, as that seems to be what others are doing.

hooliganesh
Aug 1, 2003

REPENT!

SubjectVerbObject posted:

I think it means that you could have all of your future email communication handled by a decent Markov text generator, as that seems to be what others are doing.

I'm no programmer, but I'm confident a shell script could be written to sample terms for appropriate data fields from pre-defined word pools, then assemble them into the Subject line of an e-mail and add itself (and recipients) to the Outlook calendar, something kinda like this one.

The sample the site generated for me was efficiently transition functionalized materials, which translates to...hell, I dunno. Work with what you have, perhaps?

Schedule yourself and a few office friends for the "meeting" at mid-day each Friday, then head off to a bar for a jump-start on the weekend.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Ashcans posted:

It says a lot about your work that everyone in the thread just assumed that was something your office would actually ask you to do.

I just assumed that MSPaint was the only analytical program they were still allowed to use.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

SubjectVerbObject posted:

I think it's time y'all started reading ErowidRecruiter. It's a twitter bot that mashes Tech industry recruiting emails with Erowid trip reports.

quote:

moaning, holding ourselves to quell the inner pain: we are experiencing incredible growth.

quote:

Solid knowledge of web applications, specializing in the world, whispering in my sheets.

quote:

my friend’s father asked me to connect with you to have constant fits and hallucinations for three months of active probing

quote:

Engineer opportunity at Shutterstock: let me know if you might begin to see auras.

I dare someone to add something from that feed as part of their email signature.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Holy poo poo. That thing blows Horse eBooks out of the water. :lol:

"A startup player who can rise to the psychosis."

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

quote:

Another friend of mine had tears in her eyes when she told me that one flower was more than 32,000 mobile games.

Holy poo poo

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

quote:

tried to scream, my tongue shot out as a focus on performance and scalability

Holy poo poo, I'm dying.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Welp, there went my afternoon.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good

quote:

To entice you further, here’s some clipart of a billion holes, each one a passage leading to overall experiences that can scale.

This sounds suspiciously like the recruitment emails I keep getting, actually.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

quote:

moaning, holding ourselves to quell the inner pain: we are experiencing incredible growth.
:quagmire:

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Man I love the cynicism in how companies sell the CDHP. My new employer framed it as punishing freeloaders because you only pay for what you use with a low (20/mo) premium unlike a traditional PPO with a ton of welfare queens who use all the medical care that you're paying for. Given how selfish Americans are I wouldn't be surprised if this was effective.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Feb 24, 2015

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

Peven Stan posted:

Man I love the cynicism in how companies sell the CDHP. My new employer framed it as punishing freeloaders because you only pay for what you use with a low (20/mo) premium unlike a traditional PPO with a ton of welfare queens who use all the medical care that you're paying for. Given how selfish Americans are I wouldn't be surprised if this was effective.

The funny part is that it is really low usage and high usage folks punishing medium usage folks. The CDHP I am on has a deductable and out of pocket max. If you use a lot of medical resources, like my family, you hit your out of pocket max some time in March and the rest of the year is almost free. Not much motivation then to save health costs.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
My CDHP covered $800 of your deductible then it was on you to pay out of pocket till you hit your $2000 out of pocket max then you only paid a 10% copay after that.

Guess who needed an MRI in that sweet spot where they cover absolutely nothing? :suicide:

Taliesyn
Apr 5, 2007

:bang:

My manager, who is firmly of the belief that initiative is a pestilence that must be eradicated at all costs, gave me a new task. The state has stopped sending us 'cleaned' spreadsheets for one of the things we do with them, and instead is just sending us raw text files to deal with ourselves. So my new daily task is to take the current file and convert it to an Excel spreadsheet that gets sent to the Membership department. These files take around 30 minutes to convert, as each line can have different import specifications depending on the type of record it is (based on the first three letters in the line). I have 42 of these files to convert, then another one arrives every other day or so. So 21 hour backlog, plus another 2.5 hours per week, going on indefinitely. Mind you, 95% of the time is just spent manually breaking each line into fields via Excel's import wizard, with varying numbers of characters per field (based on a guide the state provided); for example, the detail (i.e. - new person) lines have characters 1-3 indicating record type, 4-15 give the claim number involved, 16-24 is the SSN for the person involved, 25-32 is their DOB, 33 is their sex, 34-39 is a code indicating the type of file this is, 40 indicates what we're doing with the claim, and 41-1100 are unused. Other line types may use the entire 1100 characters available per line, and will have a completely different field layout.

I started to spend what would have been 2-3 hours modifying an already-existing import tool I wrote for a different but similar process about a year ago, which, when complete, should drop processing time for each spreadsheet from 30 minutes to under 5. My boss saw me doing that and ripped me a new one, informing me that it was a complete waste of time and it's more important to just convert the files than to waste my time writing some tool. Doesn't matter whether I use C++, VB, or Access - automating it is verboten, because they need the backlog cleared as soon as possible, which to her mind means 'no wasting time creating automated tools'. You'd think, based on the SQL, VB, and VBA grilling I received while being interviewed for this place that I would allowed to use those skills, but nope.

Mind you, this is the woman in charge of the department that not only handles all data transmission but also includes 5 STAFF PROGRAMMERS.

Oh, and this is one of the 5 largest employers in my state.

:suicide:

Edit: Mee spel guud!

Taliesyn fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Feb 24, 2015

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
I read the first paragraph and was like "you know, you should really look into automating this" and then read the second paragraph and became horrified.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
She considers you a direct threat to her headcount, since if she doesn't need a bunch of people for data entry why does she need the budget for them?

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

My boss is finally being let go and I'm not even there to see it since I had to leave early today. I am receiving updates as they come in.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

When my old project manager got sacked after I left I got texts from almost everyone I worked with gleefully telling me about it.

Taliesyn
Apr 5, 2007

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

When my old project manager got sacked after I left I got texts from almost everyone I worked with gleefully telling me about it.

You know, the same thing happened when a VP at the last place I worked got fired. Probably ten different people told me before the day was out.

(As just one example, said VP asked me on three different occasions to falsify data being returned to clients. Data that could be confirmed as wrong by simply looking at the dates on letters we automatically sent out. And yes, I said HELL NO - I wasn't about to be thrown under the bus for his numbers. Or commit fraud, for that matter.)

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Taliesyn posted:

You know, the same thing happened when a VP at the last place I worked got fired. Probably ten different people told me before the day was out.

(As just one example, said VP asked me on three different occasions to falsify data being returned to clients. Data that could be confirmed as wrong by simply looking at the dates on letters we automatically sent out. And yes, I said HELL NO - I wasn't about to be thrown under the bus for his numbers. Or commit fraud, for that matter.)

This guy would exclude me (the designer) from business trips citing "the budget", change the design of stuff, find an engineer I didn't interact with to re-eingineer it to keep me in the dark, then when the customer was like WTF IS THIS he'd point back at me because I'm the designer you see. I only found out he hosed with one of my designs when the engineer came to find me with a question on it and I was like :wtf:

He also literally yelled at me for not doing something that wasn't even my responsibility to start with (QA, I don't have a QA stamp, I am literally NOT AUTHORIZED to do quality control) and was his fuckup.

My dislike of him was well known by the time I left.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Taliesyn posted:

:bang:

My manager, who is firmly of the belief that initiative is a pestilence that must be eradicated at all costs, gave me a new task. The state has stopped sending us 'cleaned' spreadsheets for one of the things we do with them, and instead is just sending us raw text files to deal with ourselves. So my new daily task is to take the current file and convert it to an Excel spreadsheet that gets sent to the Membership department. These files take around 30 minutes to convert, as each line can have different import specifications depending on the type of record it is (based on the first three letters in the line). I have 42 of these files to convert, then another one arrives every other day or so. So 21 hour backlog, plus another 2.5 hours per week, going on indefinitely. Mind you, 95% of the time is just spent manually breaking each line into fields via Excel's import wizard, with varying numbers of characters per field (based on a guide the state provided); for example, the detail (i.e. - new person) lines have characters 1-3 indicating record type, 4-15 give the claim number involved, 16-24 is the SSN for the person involved, 25-32 is their DOB, 33 is their sex, 34-39 is a code indicating the type of file this is, 40 indicates what we're doing with the claim, and 41-1100 are unused. Other line types may use the entire 1100 characters available per line, and will have a completely different field layout.

I started to spend what would have been 2-3 hours modifying an already-existing import tool I wrote for a different but similar process about a year ago, which, when complete, should drop processing time for each spreadsheet from 30 minutes to under 5. My boss saw me doing that and ripped me a new one, informing me that it was a complete waste of time and it's more important to just convert the files than to waste my time writing some tool. Doesn't matter whether I use C++, VB, or Access - automating it is verboten, because they need the backlog cleared as soon as possible, which to her mind means 'no wasting time creating automated tools'. You'd think, based on the SQL, VB, and VBA grilling I received while being interviewed for this place that I would allowed to use those skills, but nope.

Mind you, this is the woman in charge of the department that not only handles all data transmission but also includes 5 STAFF PROGRAMMERS.

Oh, and this is one of the 5 largest employers in my state.

:suicide:

Edit: Mee spel guud!

Do what I did.

Automate it anyway and keep it a secret. Take the time you would have spent converting those documents and just slack off on the internet.

When the time is right and the backlog is clear, whip out your automation and look like a hero.

The difference is that my boss loves when people take initiative, I was just looking for an excuse to slack off. The only reason I released it to the masses was because I couldn't hide it anymore. Allegedly I'm going to get a nice big raise in March for it but...I'll believe that when I see it.

Taliesyn
Apr 5, 2007

Renegret posted:

Do what I did.

Automate it anyway and keep it a secret. Take the time you would have spent converting those documents and just slack off on the internet.

When the time is right and the backlog is clear, whip out your automation and look like a hero.

The difference is that my boss loves when people take initiative, I was just looking for an excuse to slack off. The only reason I released it to the masses was because I couldn't hide it anymore. Allegedly I'm going to get a nice big raise in March for it but...I'll believe that when I see it.

Yeah, I did that once before with a different process, and got caught, yelled at for a half hour, and nearly got let go (for doing the automation, not the internet). I wasn't kidding when I said my boss loathes initiative with a burning passion. *ANY* exercise of personal initiative, no matter how small, brings down the Wrath of Boss upon the offender's head, so now I make convenience tools for my own personal use when I can get away with it (I have a couple), and research and study new things when I am caught up (which can be up to 6 hours a day). I can't get carried away, though, as process audits are a regular part of the industry this company is in, and it's important that everything appear the way it should. That's probably a large part of the reasoning behind "We can't change the processes because they're processes and processes cannot be changed! No matter what, we can't change the processes!" (Note - I get this even when I'm the person who WROTE the process.)

On the bright side, I've got one interview Thursday and another next week. With any luck, I won't have to put up with this poo poo much longer.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Taliesyn posted:

Yeah, I did that once before with a different process, and got caught, yelled at for a half hour, and nearly got let go (for doing the automation, not the internet). I wasn't kidding when I said my boss loathes initiative with a burning passion. *ANY* exercise of personal initiative, no matter how small, brings down the Wrath of Boss upon the offender's head, so now I make convenience tools for my own personal use when I can get away with it (I have a couple), and research and study new things when I am caught up (which can be up to 6 hours a day). I can't get carried away, though, as process audits are a regular part of the industry this company is in, and it's important that everything appear the way it should. That's probably a large part of the reasoning behind "We can't change the processes because they're processes and processes cannot be changed! No matter what, we can't change the processes!" (Note - I get this even when I'm the person who WROTE the process.)

On the bright side, I've got one interview Thursday and another next week. With any luck, I won't have to put up with this poo poo much longer.

:stonk:

Your boss is a jerk.

Taliesyn
Apr 5, 2007

Renegret posted:

:stonk:

Your boss is a jerk.

I keep telling people I work for a female Sheldon Cooper, but no one ever believes me.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Had my first Sundae-style story today. It was as a contractor, though, so I'm free from the heads-rolling as a result of both extreme internal secrecy and pay-first, sign-contracts-never methodologies.

ItalicSquirrels
Feb 15, 2007

What?

Taliesyn posted:

I keep telling people I work for a female Sheldon Cooper, but no one ever believes me.

You sure your boss doesn't just have an inferiority complex?

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Taliesyn posted:

You'd think, based on the SQL, VB, and VBA grilling I received while being interviewed for this place that I would allowed to use those skills, but nope.
I'm morbidly curious how often this occurs in today's job market.

A company has a list of nearly impossible skills, after months or years, finally bags their unicorn, then it becomes clear to the hire that none of those skills are used or necessary.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Cheesus posted:

A company has a list of nearly impossible skills, after months or years, finally bags their unicorn, then it becomes clear to the hire that none of those skills are used or necessary.

My job has a huge list of completely irrelevant skills that not a single person in the 26 person department actually meet. Once they do meet most of them, they get whisked off to a different department where they could make better use of those skills.

I'm not sure if it's an attempt to keep outside applicants out and only hire internal to the company, or if management is just dumb and disconnected to what goes on in the deparment. I'm going with option b.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Cheesus posted:

This is kind of a reverse-unicorn thing here, but I was supposed to have a firm knowledge of organic chemistry and calculus. I'm not even allowed to use Excel, let alone anything more complicated than the base unit operations.

Should've seen the look of horror on the Site QA Lead's face when I showed him a simple CUSUM plot. :lol: