Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Jerusalem posted:

Noooo this is how it starts, people positing the idea and giving it traction. Be unreasonable, stand your ground against all reason and sense... I thought you people were Americans? :colbert:

Pfft. No. I'm in a poo poo market that has to pay for the PPV regardless. (I don't pay for them)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
I'm pretty sure they're relying on Mania to dramatically boost network subscriptions and then show off said number

It would make a ton of money in the short term, but pulling Mania would have to kill subscriptions for that month, I can't imagine it happening. (This year anyway)

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Jerusalem posted:

Noooo this is how it starts, people positing the idea and giving it traction. Be unreasonable, stand your ground against all reason and sense... I thought you people were Americans? :colbert:

giving money to millionaires for a lovely product is as American as it gets

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Bryan bought some more poo poo!

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

most of the people were wayyyy overzealous with the beeps for the censorship contest

the last one was loving amazing though

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

loving dying at Vinny's speech here, and you can hear Craig loving dying as well. That new box has proved its worth already.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
I can't listen to the show until tomorrow afternoon but I'm already really excited.

What did Bryan buy?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

CVagts posted:

I can't listen to the show until tomorrow afternoon but I'm already really excited.

What did Bryan buy?

A new voice processor to make Craig audible. It actually works pretty well.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Cardboard Box posted:

the last one was loving amazing though

My god. All time classic.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I was in tears during that contest, actual physical pain during some of them.

Granny broke her hip :(
but is apparently already walking again, this god drat woman is immortal.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Feb 25, 2015

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
couldn't bryan do most of the stuff in software that he buys new expensive poo poo to achieve. i guess it's moot since he apparently doesn't even know how to edit in the lapsed fan stuff but still.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
b-b-but, apple

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
I was going to do the $4 Observer special last night, but it was PayPal only and I had no time to transfer funds to my account. :doh:

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

I'm listening to Radiolab's Montreal Screwjob episode they just did with Pete Rosenberg & David Shoemaker, and god drat is the editing annoying as poo poo.

pigz
Jul 12, 2004

Nearly as overlooked as Joe Mauer
So I got the observer like last month and I've been giving the various podcasts a listen.

I've been surprised by how utterly unprofessional the content is done. From the typo's and writing to the podcasts. That last observer with dave coughing over the entire podcast is ridiculous. Have these guys never heard of a loving mute button. Haven't they noticed that in like every single live thing you watch anywhere, you pretty much never hear people cough. It was entirely too much once he started coughing over the lapsed fan audio, which is already way too loving quiet since it seems like Bryan is just playing it into a microphone. You are not supposed to be even heard at this point and you just cough cough cough into a live mic.

Also Vinny is pretty much insufferable most of the time, hating on everything including the Rusev segment from Raw. Also his boring take a walk promo was pointless and stupid.

Other than that. Dave is enjoyable, but I am surprised by his naivete. The Putin thing was insane.

While you all seem to enjoy the granny segments, they just go on way too long.

Is it usually this bad?

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

pigz posted:

So I got the observer like last month and I've been giving the various podcasts a listen.

I've been surprised by how utterly unprofessional the content is done. From the typo's and writing to the podcasts. That last observer with dave coughing over the entire podcast is ridiculous. Have these guys never heard of a loving mute button. Haven't they noticed that in like every single live thing you watch anywhere, you pretty much never hear people cough. It was entirely too much once he started coughing over the lapsed fan audio, which is already way too loving quiet since it seems like Bryan is just playing it into a microphone. You are not supposed to be even heard at this point and you just cough cough cough into a live mic.

Also Vinny is pretty much insufferable most of the time, hating on everything including the Rusev segment from Raw. Also his boring take a walk promo was pointless and stupid.

Other than that. Dave is enjoyable, but I am surprised by his naivete. The Putin thing was insane.

Is it usually this bad?

Dave's weird. He let his smoke alarm beep for weeks instead of swapping the battery out. If the coughing drove you nuts, there will be some new thing every month that drives you up a wall, I'm afraid to say. I pretty much re-subscribed to the Observer solely to read the WON, so you're not alone in being turned off by the audio - you're just in the minority with me!

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Vinny owns wtf man. Wait until the b&v show when they review good programs like nxt and lucha. Also nobody likes the granny segments.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Sometimes the granny segments are good. Usually in an absolute train wreck way.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Am I the only one who skips over Rocky's intro on Talking Shop? I realized a couple episodes back that he actually just annoys me, and the show is much more fun if you just skip to Anderson and Gallows being crazy.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I never know how to feel about the granny segments. They're a nice change of pace but it's still his grandma on a podcast. Does anyone know how this even started?

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
Granny segments strike me as Bryan trying to get "Provide website content" & "Talk to grandmother once a week" done at the same time.

pigz
Jul 12, 2004

Nearly as overlooked as Joe Mauer
It's not all bad, and I didn't mind Vinny until this last one. That coughing one just really got to me i guess since it's such an easy thing to avoid. (don't like Mike or the guy who attends the NXT shows (rob?), the rest of them seem fine)

Funny to hear them complain about WWE having a very stable fan base so they don't really need to try to do well when it seems like the observer suffers from similar problems.

And no. I don't "know what you mean" Dave, you know so much more than me about wrestling that no I don't know; please explain it.

On the fence of whether I'm going to keep up the subscription, probably stick it out till after mania and reevaluate.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

pigz posted:

Is it usually this bad?

The observer is not for you.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
Just listen to the Observer for a few weeks, you'll phase out Dave's little idiosyncrasies and absorb them into yourself, y'know?

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

pigz posted:

And no. I don't "know what you mean" Dave, you know so much more than me about wrestling that no I don't know; please explain it.

Well, you know... that's just like... uhh... the mentality of Dave.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
You might prefer the Torch which is run by far more professional, tech-savvy, and most of all far more normal, less wrestling-bubbley people. For me the fact that the world's top wrestling journalist is part of such a lovely web 1.0 operation and that Dave is clearly on the autism spectrum and Bryan is an annoying idiot is kind of part of the charm.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

Spermgod posted:

You might prefer the Torch which is run by far more professional, tech-savvy, and most of all far more normal, less wrestling-bubbley people. For me the fact that the world's top wrestling journalist is part of such a lovely web 1.0 operation and that Dave is clearly on the autism spectrum and Bryan is an annoying idiot is kind of part of the charm.

The Piledriver Wrestling Audio Show is very analytical as well, especially if you want to delve into the business side of things. They've been updating quite sporadically as of the new year, however.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

pigz posted:

Is it usually this bad?

The coughing and the Putin segment were absolutely outliers. The coughing was about the worst distracting element I've ever heard on the show but yeah you kind of roll with it because it's so weird: who has a hacking cough like that but seems to be right back in the middle of a sentence without trouble a millisecond later?? The typos are bad but again like you listen to the Todd Martin shows and realize Dave is just a guy that started writing a little newsletter for some hardcore fans and he's still doing the same thing out of his house and you look at the sheer volume of output he has in some issues and you start to understand and roll with it.

The Putin thing was pretty out of character and kind of bonkers, but usually Dave restricts his tangents to roller derby or local high school wrestling or whatever so they're a bit more in his wheelhouse. When you get Dave talking about things outside of wrestling it's usually like the part of the Lapsed Fan segment where he talked about Eddie Murphy losing out on the Oscar because he went and made Norbit or Meet Dave or whichever one that bombed huge.

I don't listen to Bryan and Vinny because I don't care and I don't like the stupid Granny segments but Vinny is himself fine.

Super No Vacancy fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Feb 25, 2015

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:
The Torch is garbage

tag youre fat
Aug 16, 2013

C'est l'homme ideal
charme au masculin

triplexpac posted:

Am I the only one who skips over Rocky's intro on Talking Shop? I realized a couple episodes back that he actually just annoys me, and the show is much more fun if you just skip to Anderson and Gallows being crazy.

Yeah, I wouldn't mind if he just said "Hi, this is who's on today" but I don't really see the need for his intros to be as long as they are when he has nothing to talk about. Intros with Anderson and his kids however...

duyarvish
Feb 7, 2015
Dave has been on this earth for like 50 years and the large majority of them have been spent watching professional wrestling as a career. I like to think what we hear is the end result of that, especially that whole Putin thing.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Dave watched every episode of WCW Thunder. That alone is enough to break a man.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

ChampRamp posted:

The Torch is garbage

Wade Keller was really clear and effective at analyzing the match booking of the Rumble on Austin's show. He's impressed me every time he's been on there, that's my only experience.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Dave has a really deadpan sense of humor that isn't really obvious on the radio, and comes across as him saying super obvious things. It's usually most obvious when he's talking about booking decisions.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
Okay, now take that good analysis and stretch it for the next week until you're tired of hearing about it. Also have a bunch of dingus co hosts who can't talk and provide nothing.

What I'm saying is those Austin podcasts with Wade are not the torch.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Alain Post posted:

Dave has a really deadpan sense of humor that isn't really obvious on the radio, and comes across as him saying super obvious things. It's usually most obvious when he's talking about booking decisions.

his joke of lana not being his putin source was fantabulous

SLUM KING
Nov 16, 2011

The wrestling bubble is good. When Dave ventures outside the bubble we get roller derby and evil Putin. I am still laughing at evil Putin. With Keller you get fuckin' Oasis album reviews. Or at least that's what I got when I had a Torch sub as a kid. It was not good.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
How could anyone critique Dave's analysis of Putin, he's got the scoops!

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Daniel Bryan posted:

Okay, now take that good analysis and stretch it for the next week until you're tired of hearing about it. Also have a bunch of dingus co hosts who can't talk and provide nothing.

What I'm saying is those Austin podcasts with Wade are not the torch.

Austin should drop Ted Fowler and do shows with Wade then that'd be good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
was dave's source volk han?

i bet it was volk han

• Locked thread