Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

V for Vegas posted:

Maybe based on the premise that Germany won WW1?

If you displace Kaiserreich you either need to give the team a cut or expect your house to get covered in poop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

V for Vegas posted:

:ssh: don't give away the game plan too early

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

V for Vegas posted:

What about where Einstein travels back in time and kills Hitler so that the Soviets start WW1, lose, and then start WW2 with mind control technology?

Edit: I'm still somewhat embarrassed that I thought Germany was part of the Allies before I took any history classes (in my defense, I was something like nine or ten at the time)

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Uh I think you mean start WW2, lose, and then start WW3 with mind control.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Uh I think you mean start WW2, lose, and then start WW3 with mind control.

Ah, you're right, WW1 still happens! Forgot about that.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

V for Vegas posted:

This could be a very cool scenario and someone should spend some time working on this.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Who wants to join my team to create East vs West: A Hearts of Iron IV mod? :haw:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I am really REALLY hoping that HoI4 gets an El Dorado treatment where you can randomize the world, turning off all railroading and letting the world shape itself.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

V for Vegas posted:

So essentially Kaiserreich?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

DrSunshine posted:

Who wants to join my team to create East vs West: A Hearts of Iron IV mod? :haw:

Imagine if they had just ported Kaiserreich to hoi3 instead of making a 1980's naval gun simulator.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
I think it'd be neat to do it in some more balanced way based on some kind of points-based system where you select which country you will be in and whether Axis, Allied, or Comintern, then can drag countries into either being a member of one of those or leaning that way, which gives or takes points to do. Force it to be close to historical balance.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl

ThaumPenguin posted:

So essentially Kaiserreich?

:thejoke:

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

1936. World War I is still going on.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Kavak posted:

If you displace Kaiserreich you either need to give the team a cut or expect your house to get covered in poop.

Don't have any plans to make an alt WW1 setup, but it's not like Kaiserreich invented the idea of "WW2 after Germany won WW1".

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Darkrenown posted:

Don't have any plans to make an alt WW1 setup, but it's not like Kaiserreich invented the idea of "WW2 after Germany won WW1".

We basically invented it for Paradox games and I won't hear anything otherwise. :colbert:

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
So. Darkest hour: Prolonging conscription. How does this affect my IC and research? The manual says nothing that I can find.

I don't want to mobilize right now but I need more manpower in order to build more troops. And conscription seems the best idea?

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Affi posted:

So. Darkest hour: Prolonging conscription. How does this affect my IC and research? The manual says nothing that I can find.

I don't want to mobilize right now but I need more manpower in order to build more troops. And conscription seems the best idea?

The optimal place for manpower experience and IC is the 3 year draft. You trade these in for more manpower as you increase mobilisation. Research times begin increasing at partial mobilisation, production times begin decreasing at full mobilisation (although your IC becomes less efficient).

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Affi posted:

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?586625-A-Guide-to-Long-Build-Times-in-DArkest-Hour&p=13457675&viewfull=1#post13457675

All the mobilization settings have the same IC*day cost for your units. You get penalties to money production at 3-year conscription, IC at Partial Mobilization, Research at Complete Mobilization, and so on.

Different countries will be able to mobilize to different degrees at different times. I had a Germany game recently where I stayed at Partial until after France was dead.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
Remember that the difference between 0 and 30 manpower experience (partial mob. and 3 year draft) is the same effect in combat as the difference between a 0 skill and a 6 skill general. You want to finish building your ships, tanks and planes before war breaks out.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Enjoy posted:

The optimal place for manpower experience and IC is the 3 year draft. You trade these in for more manpower as you increase mobilisation. Research times begin increasing at partial mobilisation, production times begin decreasing at full mobilisation (although your IC becomes less efficient).

Cool. I had selective and when I needed more manpower I picked 1 year. But I benefit from going three year straight away then? Huh.

Will do.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

uPen posted:

Imagine if they had just ported Kaiserreich to hoi3 instead of making a 1980's naval gun simulator.

1980s naval gun simulator sounds awesome. Now if someone would just remake Fighting Steel I could die happy.

RestRoomLiterature-
Jun 3, 2008

staying regular
Hoi4 quality controlled to the level that CK2 and EU4 was on release is all I ask for. Improvement will always be made but just not the nightmare Hoi3 was day one.

That and Rome 2 because forget the Vicky cheerleaders Rome has more potential like micro transactions for praetorian NATO counters DLC

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
They just need to make a Victoria 2/3 to HOI4 converter. If that's not in the cards, make a CKII to HOI4 converter. :v:

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

OUR PEOPLE WERE BORN OF THE SKY
What's a NATO counter for an african war elephant?

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Cowcatcher posted:

An Australian cricketer grinning with a hunting rifle

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

African elephants are too wild to be properly domesticated for war, you are thinking of Indian (Asian) elephants.

And the answer is

Epinephrine
Nov 7, 2008

Disco Infiva posted:

African elephants are too wild to be properly domesticated for war, you are thinking of Indian (Asian) elephants.

And the answer is
Elephant CAS counters everything; they're so OP. I mean check out this gameplay footage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjPYMs4w5TI&feature=player_detailpage#t=80. How do you stop that?

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

A Victoria to HOI 4 converter would be pretty cool, if hard as hell.

Like, grade countries on ranking/power and shuffle them into the normal three blocks to start: Democracies, Fascists, and Commies. Make the monarchies/etc... able to tend towards each alliance based on balance.

If its unbalanced still, give the player a couple options to "Flip" countries before conversion.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Cowcatcher posted:

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

A Victoria to HOI 4 converter would be pretty cool, if hard as hell.

Like, grade countries on ranking/power and shuffle them into the normal three blocks to start: Democracies, Fascists, and Commies. Make the monarchies/etc... able to tend towards each alliance based on balance.

If its unbalanced still, give the player a couple options to "Flip" countries before conversion.

I don't think anybody converting between games is going to care about balance at all. It's all about the alt history narrative.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Oberleutnant posted:

I don't think anybody converting between games is going to care about balance at all. It's all about the alt history narrative.

I agree when talking CK2->EU4, or a hypothetical EU4->Vicky, but HoI sorta needs balance, I think. If you've got a game where you've got 7 great powers in the Allies, 1 in the Axis, and no one in the Comintern, you're going to have a pretty awful game.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

I agree when talking CK2->EU4, or a hypothetical EU4->Vicky, but HoI sorta needs balance, I think. If you've got a game where you've got 7 great powers in the Allies, 1 in the Axis, and no one in the Comintern, you're going to have a pretty awful game.

Yeah, it's a game where the whole game pretty much IS the one major war between blocs.

Case and point how silly unbalanced it is when you get Communist Germany is DH.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

I imagine the war would have to be totally dynamic to work at all. Like, sort the nations of the game by relative strength, divide them up into the 3 sides relatively evenly, then make some ways to trigger the start of the war. You'd have to throw out most of nation specific events of the vanilla game and just rely on random/generic ones.

Which sounds like it would be a huge pain to do.

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's the more boring answer, but whatever can be done to make it as user-friendly to mod I think is the most workable solution to any sort of conversion project. Some kind of converter like the CK2 to EUIV one can be nice as a launchpad, but ultimately with things getting on the same engine and working within similar limits it's going to get easier.

If anything, after ruler designer for CK2 and now customer nations for EUIV coming out, I would most appreciate, even as paid DLC, some sort of event designer, which can be used potentially to set up new HOI4 scenarios.

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

Don't forget to source your quotes!
I hope HoI4 gets a WWI expansion, and alien invasion DLC a la Sunset Invasion

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
I'd like to see a alternate scenario where you played the invasion of America by Nazi Germany a la Wolfenstein: TNO. Robots and everything.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Juvenalian.Satyr posted:

It's the more boring answer, but whatever can be done to make it as user-friendly to mod I think is the most workable solution to any sort of conversion project. Some kind of converter like the CK2 to EUIV one can be nice as a launchpad, but ultimately with things getting on the same engine and working within similar limits it's going to get easier.

If anything, after ruler designer for CK2 and now customer nations for EUIV coming out, I would most appreciate, even as paid DLC, some sort of event designer, which can be used potentially to set up new HOI4 scenarios.

I've said it before, but I think a sort of god-mode observer DLC would be great, especially for CK2. Trigger events, kill characters, impregnate, imprison, declare wars, etc. You can already accomplish all this using the console but having a convenient UI for it would make it way better.

Viral Warfare
Aug 4, 2010

~~a n d I a m c a l m~~
The big problem with Kaiserreich is that I very rarely see a true world war with the way they've worked out the events, just lots and lots and lots of smaller wars. Even France-Germany is rarely anything to write home about, generally just an easy victory for one side or the other more or less revolving around whether Germany got tanked with dissent events or not.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Viral Warfare posted:

The big problem with Kaiserreich is that I very rarely see a true world war with the way they've worked out the events, just lots and lots and lots of smaller wars. Even France-Germany is rarely anything to write home about, generally just an easy victory for one side or the other more or less revolving around whether Germany got tanked with dissent events or not.

The longest I've seen it last is 2 years, and that when I was playing as the FAI and shored up France to prevent them falling before the German's ran out of men, and evne then they took Paris for a bit. I wish Austria had joined in that war, could have turned the tables.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Viral Warfare posted:

As far as I'm concerned, that's the whole point. A proper WKII would eclipse what's happening with all the small nations across the globe, and that would destroy part of what makes Kaiserreich unique. If there's a way in Hearts of Iron IV to keep the revolution or counter-revolution rolling by dynamically generating new wars or whatever, that'd be wonderful, but for now I think it's good the way it is. The real problem is that the game is set to end way beyond what we can reasonably make content for, and that warps people's expectations. 1948 would be a much better stopping point, but I'm sure the Paradox forums would bitch if we moved it back.

EDIT: ^^^ The problem with Austro-Hungary is that if it's in fighting shape and able to support Germany against the International, they're screwed. France bleeds itself dry often enough as is, the K.u.K. Armee would wreck their poo poo every single game.

Kavak fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Feb 25, 2015

• Locked thread