Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Finally beat the double Khezu 2* guild hunt. Made the Gore Horn (so cool) and barely edged out the win. Took just under 40 minutes. :( I realized after through Kiranico that he basically only takes Impact damage on the head so thats why I was sucking even with a powerful horn and an attack up song. I know I'm supposed to be hitting the head with hammer/horns anyway but I'm panicky with these guys so I take my swings wherever I can hit them. At least its over. Never again, Khezu. Not without my Lance, anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

everythingWasBees posted:

So low rank insect glaives. I'm basically just kinda stuck with the default weapon for a while aren't I.

The poison spider, Nyscylla or whatever, has a short low-rank line with decent poison and (green) sharpness.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Last night I climbed up a wall, supermanned off it and knocked Azure Rath out of the air and cut off its tail in one Greatsword swing.

It was the best thing ever.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

I fought Monoblos yesterday, and it was a long and boring fight because most of it was either me flinching from roars or it being underground where I seemed to miss with about half my sonic bombs. Not sure lance was the best weapon to use for that fight, but I had the materials to make the Zinogre lance so I figured I might as well, and I did manage to sever the tail eventually.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Last night I climbed up a wall, supermanned off it and knocked Azure Rath out of the air and cut off its tail in one Greatsword swing.

As much as I hate Khezu, it's very satisfying to superman off of a wall, hit him with your carving knife, and then beat the poo poo out of him down on the ground.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Last night I guard pointed a charging Tigrex as he came up that huge cliff in Sunken Hollow, causing him to stagger backward and fall off the cliff in his stagger. Cue leaping transformed CB slam into a mounting attack to knock him over, then an Ultra swing to the FACE to break it AND do just enough impact damage to stun him, at which point I just melee chained his face which wasn't as impressive as all the other poo poo, but goddamn I felt like such a boss. :c00lbert:

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Has anyone else noticed that the Nerscylla's HBG is a beam smart gun from gundam?

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Fuzz posted:

Last night I guard pointed a charging Tigrex as he came up that huge cliff in Sunken Hollow, causing him to stagger backward and fall off the cliff in his stagger. Cue leaping transformed CB slam into a mounting attack to knock him over, then an Ultra swing to the FACE to break it AND do just enough impact damage to stun him, at which point I just melee chained his face which wasn't as impressive as all the other poo poo, but goddamn I felt like such a boss. :c00lbert:

I've used an IG to pole vault at a flying Rathalos, knock him to the ground (breaking his head), immediately mount him and floor him while being immune to his roars while riding because I was tripled up, beat him around a bit and cut off his tail just before he stood up.

Then my palicoes decided to steal my kill with a tank.

Mayor Glowku
Jul 29, 2012

:pcgaming: :pcgaming: :pcgaming:

Luminaflare posted:

Has anyone else noticed that the Nerscylla's HBG is a beam smart gun from gundam?

You kids and your anime

Mayor Glowku
Jul 29, 2012

Fuzz posted:

I find it much funnier when it's in reverse. I'm climbing up a ledge, reach the top, and am immediately blasted off

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Where have you been all my life?
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer
New hunters:

So the whole "story" part of this game is mostly foreign to long term players who are used to just having a big old list of quests without any real context...

What did you think of it? Did it draw you in? Motivate you? I'm just curious if it did what they wanted it to do.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Story made single player fun to do with how everything got presented. Guild quests which were a big long list were made fun by being able to play with three other dudes.

Mayor Glowku
Jul 29, 2012

Long time player here. I enjoyed the story. I was motivated to actually complete them because more often than not you get things for it. And the cowardly palico.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

I liked the story because it meant I didnt have to go online and look up key quests for singleplayer too.

also it was funny and engaging and I liked the characters

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Long time player - really loved the individual characters and their quirks but didn't really give a poo poo about the MacGuffin or the virus stuff. The Ace Hunters were a cool idea.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
How do I finish off the 6* Hammer storyline? I've beaten the Gravios, apparently the last quest should be Brute Tigrex but it's not triggering. I have a silver tick on my 6* quests which means I've finished everything available but there's still that one left before I can make it gold. I'm HR5.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
The story was cool but better than the story was just having multiple towns. Simply going around to different locations doesn't really do much; but it feels bigger. It feels like there's an actual world, and all kinds of cool variety. Hey there's these wyvernian elf dudes living in this cloud city on top of a mountain; that's really cool. Look there's some weirdo dwarf guys living in a pirate cove that has lava flowing out of it. Again, really cool. Its not much but it makes you feel like there's a lot more going on, like you went on more of a journey than just farming enemies to make armor (which is cool, don't get me wrong).

I was hoping there'd be one more town out in the desert, but ah well.

Dundorma is pretty cool too.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
Guys, Kecha Armor + Insect Glaive + Orange/Red/White makes you Lu Bu.

Snidhog
Dec 31, 2007
I played a bit of 3U and found it slow and a bit obtuse. The story in 4U is keeping me amused and walked me through how the game works. The ongoing clashes with Gore Magala are also fun and break up the pace. For context I've just been given the quest to go hunt it/I've finished all the 4 star caravan stuff.

4U is more enjoyable for reasons beside the story/tutorial stuff though. The climbing and mounting mechanics are brilliant, especially since I realised S&S can charge up ledges into a jump attack. Any area with ledges or climbable walls to exploit are make fighting monsters infinitely more interesting. Not having to piss about with bug/plant farming is good too, as is what feels like a more generous dolling out of monster parts.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:

Armor-Piercing posted:

I fought Monoblos yesterday, and it was a long and boring fight because most of it was either me flinching from roars or it being underground where I seemed to miss with about half my sonic bombs. Not sure lance was the best weapon to use for that fight, but I had the materials to make the Zinogre lance so I figured I might as well, and I did manage to sever the tail eventually.

If you are guard lancing, you can get a hit on the charge. Lance is great against him.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Whoever designed this sand shark thing deserves a special place in hell I'll tell you what

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Whoever designed this sand shark thing deserves a special place in hell I'll tell you what

Let me tell you about Plesioth and Lavasioth.

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening
Coming from FU, I was kinda disappointed by the shift towards a story and the multiple towns.

The way those two elements interacted was kinda dumb, and kept it from really feeling like much of an "adventure" or w/e. "This is a moving guild hall! It stays right here the whole game, though"

"We've traveled many miles to this lonely mountain town! But hey, here's how to teleport back to that non-moving moving guild hall if you wanna"

"Dang, we've been shipwrecked! We'd better teleport back to that mountain so we can build an airship"

Plus the multiple towns kept any one place from feeling like home, and none of them beat this right here. FU was definitely an odd bird, the lack of information on key quests and the lack of any driving force in the plot kept it feeling like you were just kinda doing your job, being central to your community and its economy, and dealing with the urgent stuff whenever it happened to come up. It was a more unique identity!

I can't deny that 4U is the better game though, and the way it's always bugging you to get to the next key quest both better reflects how experienced players approach low rank and must be less confusing for new players. It's a sensible change. I just miss some of the intangibles from FU, is all.

Edit: I know goons like to dismiss any fondness for older things as "being blinded by nostalgia" or w/e so I should probably mention that I only picked up FU like a year ago

Space Hamlet fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Feb 25, 2015

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Let me tell you about Plesioth and Lavasioth.

Oh I hunted a bunch of Plesioth in 3U, I didn't think it was that bad actually. Just this loving thing :argh:

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Oh I hunted a bunch of Plesioth in 3U, I didn't think it was that bad actually. Just this loving thing :argh:

Yeah, it was alright when you could hop in the water after it and shred it with Normal Shot 3. In FU where you could do gently caress all to it until it decided to get its rear end up on land (and broken hitbox you to death), though...

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:
Best guild hall is P3rd. Ultra lucky cat on demand, huge pool and peco rubber duckies.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I have officially found the best cat outfit.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Stupid question but when's the soonest I can hunt a bunch of Rhenopolos in HR? Literally only thing I need for my HR Tetsu armor.
They're in the Purple Gypceros quest, check area 9. The subquest bugs are in area 2.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

I got to HR and there's a quest to hunt Rhenoplos for me. A quest to kill ten of the things, I used it to hunt for rare charms with Felyne Explorer for a bit. Are you talking about singleplayer only?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
A couple of questions:

1. What weapons have attacks with innate Mind's Eye (Attacks aren't deflected). I want to get Nibelsnarf armor and need wings from Basarios.

2. Speaking of basarios, is there a way to fight these expedition monsters consistently, other than hoping I get a Guild Quest drop?

Also, oh dear god I have 30 hours logged and I have only just got to Caravan 5

DoctorX
Dec 11, 2013

What's the easiest way to get throwing knives in order to complete the combinations list? I read somewhere you can get them as supplies in the LR Khezu quest by doing the subquest but I did that and I got poison knives instead.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Luminaflare posted:

loving knew it was familiar from somewhere.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Unlucky7 posted:

A couple of questions:

1. What weapons have attacks with innate Mind's Eye (Attacks aren't deflected). I want to get Nibelsnarf armor and need wings from Basarios.

2. Speaking of basarios, is there a way to fight these expedition monsters consistently, other than hoping I get a Guild Quest drop?

Also, oh dear god I have 30 hours logged and I have only just got to Caravan 5

Greatsword charges, Insect Glaive jumping attacks, Switch Axe in Mind's eye and Charge Blade phial stuff are all innate Mind's eye.

Insect Glaive absolutely trivializes Basarios as well with the mounting on demand.

Stealthed Zombie
Dec 21, 2007

And Introducing:
Dean "Titty Master" Ambrose
Played some online with my cousin last night, ran pretty much like a dream and that's with my lovely wifi that likes to break up here. We got a solid 4 hours or so with only one D/C.

Got to HR3. Had a couple randos come into our room but they were cool, one was a guy named Toombus or something and he had a lance and knew his poo poo.

We fought a Congalala once, and near the end I called my cousin over and then launched him into the air with the switch axe, he landed on the Congalala, got a ride in, knocked him over, and then we murdered that poor monkey right after he fell down. We felt pretty badass.

Working on getting to HR4/HR5 so I can unlock more Village quests since I've completed the initial Act of the single player.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

This rotating advanced quest stuff is real dumb

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
Yeah, advanced quests and not sharing credit for urgent quests are just mindbogglingly stupid design decisions.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

CJacobs posted:

The little nub thing sucks rear end for doing anything at all unfortunately, I would've much preferred an actual second circle pad.
mine works great. Break it in, it'll be more responsive.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Thoom posted:

Yeah, advanced quests and not sharing credit for urgent quests are just mindbogglingly stupid design decisions.

Yeah I must have done Web Sighting like 5 or 6 times including the final time that bumped me into HR2. Hunting online is really fun, but actually trying to boost your HR feels like busywork.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Should I be upgrading my weapon after every key quest? Like grinding for it? When do you know to stop grinding?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greth
Nov 12, 2008

Does it trouble your mind the way you trouble mine?
Is the Gore Magala bow series (Entbehrung & co) any good? I have a huge amount of gore parts lying around and want to get back into Bowing. On that topic, what'd be a good armor set to build? I'm in very early high rank (about to fight Monoblos).

• Locked thread