Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
It looked like Dan Slott was just writing the ending to MC2 Spider-Girl and not trying to ruin the character. Of course it's still not really his character to end.

Waterhaul posted:

You said Captain Stacy was alive again but he was always alive in Gwen's universe, unless I missed a tie-in.
I could be thinking of people complaining that Dan Slott might kill off her father, and stuff her into 616 until Battleworld, or I might be losing my mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
...OK, someone break it down, because I'm not buying the main book just to see, but I bought like every issue of Spider-Girl, including when it became a digital strip that got reprinted in the short-lived Spider-Man Family, and was about Mary-Sue April Parker.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
Jesus. MC2 Mary Jane sure as gently caress took Peter's death well.

"Oh yeah he totally died BUT HERE'S HIS COSTUME! BOOM! NEW ERA!"

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Flameingblack posted:

It looked like Dan Slott was just writing the ending to MC2 Spider-Girl and not trying to ruin the character. Of course it's still not really his character to end.

It's Marvel's character and if they let him end her arc then that's what they wanted.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Flameingblack posted:

It's especially egregious since not only is Secret Wars coming up, but Tom DeFalco actually gave Slott his in into Marvel (some gratitude, messing around with his brainchild he'd worked on for over 100 issues), and already wrote a good enough ending in the aptly-titled Spider-Girl; The End. Plus, the killing her dad and putting her in his costume is no way to end her story, especially since he'd retired. Plus it was literally his first attempt, PLUS he hosed up a bunch of continuity around her while doing it.

Gaz-L posted:

...OK, someone break it down, because I'm not buying the main book just to see, but I bought like every issue of Spider-Girl, including when it became a digital strip that got reprinted in the short-lived Spider-Man Family, and was about Mary-Sue April Parker.
Right, in Amazing Spider-Man #9, Daemos, a siblingknockoff of Morlun shows up, kills her father and (apparently MJ & Wes). Only it turns out, MJ survived and rescued Wes (Despite it making no sense that Daemos, noted douchebag wouldn't kill her without a second thought). Hell, Mayday states that it's 'a miracle' (talk about dea ex machina) She somehow manages to rescue Peter's classic costume, and Mayday decided that she would wear it now and call herself spider-Woman. Oh and Spider-Uncle-Ben is hanging out with them now.

E the Shaggy posted:

Jesus. MC2 Mary Jane sure as gently caress took Peter's death well.

"Oh yeah he totally died BUT HERE'S HIS COSTUME! BOOM! NEW ERA!"

Yeah, that was a bit off. But then She just got her kids back and she has usually been pretty resilient. As per Spider-Gwen, it's been three days so she'd have had time to react to things. I still think it's off.

Blockhouse posted:

It's Marvel's character and if they let him end her arc then that's what they wanted.
They literally already ended her arc already, though, in Spider-Girl: The End. They could have left well enough alone. Also cosidering they're revisiting MC2 in Secret Wars, it seems like they're handing DeFalco a poisoned chalice, since she was the flagship character of that line. It'd be like if they'd killed off Ultimate Peter and had someone other than Bendis write it, and not on his terms.

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Feb 25, 2015

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

I'm just mad people keep writing Spider-Man comics. Stan Lee created the character, has written over 100 issues, it's his baby, nobody else should be allowed to write the character.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I thought BSS policy was that if it's the relevant book's thread, and it's Wednesday, no spoiler tags needed?

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Yeah you don't need to use spoilers. There wasn't even any really crazy changes to spoil or that.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I actually sorta like the idea of her 'graduating' to Spider-Woman, but why change the costume? Out of some absurd notion that it has to be Peter's or it's not REAL? The Ben Reilly suit looked good on May because that design always had a slightly feminine edge to it.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Waterhaul posted:

I'm just mad people keep writing Spider-Man comics. Stan Lee created the character, has written over 100 issues, it's his baby, nobody else should be allowed to write the character.

That's a very nice straw man you've constructed there. I have no problem with other people writing Spider-Girl (as I have repeatedly stated - hell, if they got a good writer for a relaunch I would be there day one). But if (hypothetically) someone else had come into Ultimate Spider-Man other than Bendis at the 130-issue mark and instituted the kind of upheavals in his status quo that Slott has for Spider-Girl (and with the same hamhandedness and continuity gaffes) in his very first arc and then hosed off, people would be complaining and have every right to do so. Hell Conway waited 10 issues till he killed off Gwen Stacy and continued to examine the effects of those events, while Slott will never look back. So stop misrepresenting my position.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

People do just that in every comic, all the time. Spider-Girl shouldn't be different. And regardless of your feelings Spider-Girl is not on the level of Ultimate Spider-Man or original Spider-Man. They're a Marvel character, Marvel can do what they want with her. Every character has had some new creative team come on and throw everything out from the original run and restart it (which isn't what Slott did either way).

Gaz-L posted:

I actually sorta like the idea of her 'graduating' to Spider-Woman, but why change the costume? Out of some absurd notion that it has to be Peter's or it's not REAL? The Ben Reilly suit looked good on May because that design always had a slightly feminine edge to it.

You always get a costume upgrade with a name change.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

All in all now that it's done I enjoyed the hell out of Spider-Verse. I think it's one of the most fun crossovers in recent years. In the end it was pretty inconsequential but that's part of what made it fun. It was basically just an excuse to write a bunch of different Spider people interacting and that's fine with me. I wouldn't mind an ongoing Spider team up of some kind. Exiles except with Spiders.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

I'm glad Kaine is not dead. I guess he's being shelved for a while though, unless he's going to be part of the Secret Wars Spider-Team thing.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Waterhaul posted:

People do just that in every comic, all the time. Spider-Girl shouldn't be different. And regardless of your feelings Spider-Girl is not on the level of Ultimate Spider-Man or original Spider-Man. They're a Marvel character, Marvel can do what they want with her. Every character has had some new creative team come on and throw everything out from the original run and restart it (which isn't what Slott did either way).
They can, but I still have the right to criticise their creative decisions, especially since it's undertaken with very little respect for the character. She's not as popular as either of the major Spider-Men, but still she has her fans, and messing up her status quo, especially since he's not even writing her ever again, smacks of Dan Slott once again 'making his mark' just to say he did.

quote:

You always get a costume upgrade with a name change.
Except this is frankly a downgrade.

Castomira
Feb 24, 2011

Fuck you Eva Marie, if you have to be right there next to all of my posts you don't even get to have red hair. You're a dryad now.
:froggonk:
Spider-Gwen is really, really, really good and I hope the series keeps doing really weird things with its versions of the 616 characters.

Also, Frank Castle as a cop is perfect for the "police brutality/injustice" theme that seems to be central to the books.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
She was right. "Death from a butt" was a pretty sick :iceburn:.

I hope Latour slows down on the references though. I felt like they made the issue feel too gimmicky. I probably enjoyed Silk a bit more as a result.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I highly enjoyed Spider Gwen. I'm excited to see where it goes!

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
"Missed me, missed me, now you gotta kiss deez *webs volture's mouth*" was pretty high up there with the death from a butt. :allears: top-notch quips and all the takes on the other characters are fun as hell. This is a good comic.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I thought it was OK, but it didn't really live up to the expectations as I'd hoped.

But I unironically like Spider-Girl, so I guess I'm just an rear end in a top hat who hates change.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I wasn't surprised that Spider-Gwen was good. I figured that would be the case after the intro issue. I didn't expect to come away thinking that Silk had the better first issue. That was the surprise. Both are good books (admittedly after only one issue) and I'm glad they exist.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Deadpool posted:

All in all now that it's done I enjoyed the hell out of Spider-Verse. I think it's one of the most fun crossovers in recent years. In the end it was pretty inconsequential but that's part of what made it fun. It was basically just an excuse to write a bunch of different Spider people interacting and that's fine with me. I wouldn't mind an ongoing Spider team up of some kind. Exiles except with Spiders.

Agreed.

Yvonmukluk you're kinda insufferable, man. Please stop reading new comics if you can't get past people using characters from old ones.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Ben Grimm as Officer Krupke was amazing.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Deadpool posted:

I didn't expect to come away thinking that Silk had the better first issue. That was the surprise. Both are good books (admittedly after only one issue) and I'm glad they exist.

I was amazed at how good Silk #1 was. I had very low expectations for it as I've generally not enjoyed the character since she's been introduced. I love Spider Man and all things Spider Man related so I bought it on a whim and really enjoyed it

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It is kind of interesting that, for two books clearly inspired by Ms Marvel and Batgirl, they both dumped one of those books key tricks from their first issues: Establishing the heroine's relationships with the people around them. We get very little context for Cindy's erstwhile roommate, other than Cindy got her laid by being blunt, and we know the Mary-Janes thing Gwen's a flake because, well, secret identity. But neither of them really conversed with anyone but themselves. Silk kinda talked AT Pete more than with him.

Ms Marvel went all in with Kamala's home life and her family, and the current run on Batgirl just went "welp, here's a bunch of supporting characters that apparently know Babs well enough to be cool with her dry-humping a dude on their couch".

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

My issue with Spider-Gwen is it just threw us into the middle of this universe in progress. Clearly she is familiar with Vulture, and knows about him being Adrian Toomes, and knows enough about him to figure out his motivation. But we don't know any of that. It's like I started reading halfway through the story.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

TheJoker138 posted:

My issue with Spider-Gwen is it just threw us into the middle of this universe in progress. Clearly she is familiar with Vulture, and knows about him being Adrian Toomes, and knows enough about him to figure out his motivation. But we don't know any of that. It's like I started reading halfway through the story.

...Um, she knows he's Toomes because her dad's investigating him, and released the name and address to the press? As he spent about 4 pages discussing with Foggy Nelson? She figured the motive by seeing his view from his apartment was right of the billboard about her.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Gaz-L posted:

...Um, she knows he's Toomes because her dad's investigating him, and released the name and address to the press? As he spent about 4 pages discussing with Foggy Nelson? She figured the motive by seeing his view from his apartment was right of the billboard about her.

They spent 4 pages talking about how he's been replaced by Frank Castle because he disagrees with the mayor about Gwen, and that Ben Grimm got the poo poo kicked out of him, and about two panels on the "the sooner we leak this to the press the better" thing.

Castomira
Feb 24, 2011

Fuck you Eva Marie, if you have to be right there next to all of my posts you don't even get to have red hair. You're a dryad now.
:froggonk:
I just noticed that they ended Gwen's first issue by having her dropped from a high altitude.

Well played, Latour.

soupcan58
Mar 13, 2008

You blew my mind, man!

Castomira posted:

I just noticed that they ended Gwen's first issue by having her dropped from a high altitude.

Well played, Latour.

That didn't even hit me when I read it. Really well played.
I had a blast with the first issue, and I think that this still works, even if we're coming into the universe a bit into her story. I don't know exactly why, but not coming in to this with her origin actually kinda helps me want to read more. We know the spider origin by heart now. We know what happened to Peter in this timeline, that's all we need. I'm really wanting to see where they go with this from now on, and I'm so happy to be picking up a Spidey book again.

radlum
May 13, 2013
Did Steampunk Spider-Woman die? I didn't see her in the group shots in this issue of ASM

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Well on the one hand I'm glad Kaine isn't dead, on the other hand, that ominous hand bursting out of a spider corpse leads me to think when he appears next it will be as a villain or a spider-monster or whatever just Scarlet Spider is finally dead is what I'm saying/fearing

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

TwoPair posted:

Well on the one hand I'm glad Kaine isn't dead, on the other hand, that ominous hand bursting out of a spider corpse leads me to think when he appears next it will be as a villain or a spider-monster or whatever just Scarlet Spider is finally dead is what I'm saying/fearing

He's already done the hand bursting out of the grave at least two other times in the last few times (even becoming a literal Spider-Man one of the times) and hasn't turned into a villain. It's pretty much just his get out of death free card.

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

Pete did the same thing in Avengers Disassembled (where he got the organic shooters). There is a precedent for human-again spider-men bursting out of giant dead spiders. That was less surprising than Mary Jane giving 0 shits Pete died.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
Well looks like Silk gets to be an actual character now that she's out of Slott's hands. Just how the spider magnetism thing between here and Peter is going to get resolved is just -
Option A) They become full love interests: Not even Slott seems to actually want this.
Option B) Something has to actually be written to explain and resolve the spider-totem bullshit between them: On the one hand, some sense can be made about the issue, on the other the solution/explanation will probably be longwinded and still make no sense.
Option C) All the writers just kinda forget about this. Just like Peter's post-resurection powers in the original spider-totems story: Most likely what's going to actually happen.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I read Kraven's Last Hunt. Very atmospheric and creepy. It's almost a horror comic.

Are there any similar stories? (that are good)

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
There's Garth Ennis' remarkaby restrained Spidey-story he did for Tangled Web of Spider-Man (trades of which are remarkably cheap on Amazon and also has that Flowers for Rhino story). Also it involves yet another spider-person being created as a result of Peter's original lab accident.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I can't anti-recommend that story enough.

There's a Vermin 5-parter later in Dematteis' run that's pretty nightmarish and dark.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Lurdiak posted:

I can't anti-recommend that story enough.

There's a Vermin 5-parter later in Dematteis' run that's pretty nightmarish and dark.

I'm pretty sure that was the first Spider Man story arc I read. Thats the one where you find out he was sexually abused by his mother right?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

SalTheBard posted:

I'm pretty sure that was the first Spider Man story arc I read. Thats the one where you find out he was sexually abused by his mother right?

Yes. It also deals with Peter's leftover issues regarding the Kraven incident. I really like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Lurdiak posted:

Yes. It also deals with Peter's leftover issues regarding the Kraven incident. I really like it.

I'm going to have to see if I can dig those books up. I'm almost positive I still have them.

• Locked thread