Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

So my latest eBay order came in today, containing a wealth of Chaos Space Marines stuff. And although it wasn't listed as part of the auction, the seller threw in a copy of the 3rd edition codex. Having just started 40k a couple years ago, this is great fun to look through. Had no idea that daemons apparently weren't their own army back then. I also like the (very brief) tactics section, which I can definitely see 1999 me trying to memorize because "That's what it says to do!" Does every old codex contain stuff like that? Wondering if I should start trying to scrounge up other old ones for fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

I'm fairly certain that the old Necrons codex had something similar. Pretty funny for an army whose only strategy was essentially, "move forward."

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT
I would like to thank Bulbasaur for the best idea.

Helmets for everyone.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!
I've got a lot of those old codexes so if you want to see scans of a aprticular one, just let me know!

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
I habitually refuse to use non-full faced helmets, both because painting faces is very difficult and also because why is your face exposed?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

BlackIronHeart posted:

I've got a lot of those old codexes so if you want to see scans of a aprticular one, just let me know!

Do you have the old 2nd edition Imperial Guard, I wouldn't mind seeing Marbo's rules. I forget them now. I think he was 2nd edition?

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me
people used to talk about lists and strategies and poo poo now its all pics of paintjobs and hollismason

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Hollismason posted:

Do you have the old 2nd edition Imperial Guard, I wouldn't mind seeing Marbo's rules. I forget them now. I think he was 2nd edition?

Marbo wasn't in 2nd, although we did get this little guy:

Marbo first popped up in Codex Catachan in 3E where he is literally Stallone:

e: Sniper and Ambush rules for completeness and avatar material:

adamantium|wang fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Feb 26, 2015

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

I habitually refuse to use non-full faced helmets, both because painting faces is very difficult and also because why is your face exposed?

Because it's Warhammer 40 fuckin' K and nothing in it even remotely makes sense?

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.

Captain Invictus posted:

Because it's Warhammer 40 fuckin' K and nothing in it even remotely makes sense?

I enjoy the scattered references to things like this in the novels, like when one of the Iron Warriors sees an Imperial Fist sergeant without a helmet and immediately shoots him, or when one of the Night Lords dudes is constantly being targeted by the enemy and he starts to wonder what gives, then remembers he has those ridiculous bat wings on his helmet that make him stand out, and starts to think maybe they're a bad idea.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I don't know how many Necron players we have in the thread but if you did miss this in the codex it is possible now to have a first turn charge with Scarabs pretty easily now because you can produce them at any point in the Spyders move.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012
My friend wants to play some 40k on Saturday, and for some reason he wants to play 650 points!
Here's my Necron list:
HQ:
Necron Lord- Staff of Light

Troops:
38x Necron Warriors (Not sure how to divide them up)

Dedicated Transport:
1xGhost Ark

649 points

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Necron Overlord w/ Staff of Light
14 x Warriors
14 x Warriors
10 Warriors in Ghost Ark

Is the best way to split it as thy come in minimum squads of 10. That's a even divide.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
So I was just perusing various 40k approved FW units and I came across the Tantalus. Anyone ever seriously consider this thing? It's a bit expensive, but holy hell it can be deadly combined with Eldar.

It can Deep Strike, puts out 12 S5 AP2 shots, and has a carrying capacity of 16 (open topped). It also has a 5+ Invuln and 5 HP at AV12. It just screams, "Feugan and a bunch of Fire Dragons"

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Hencoe posted:

I would like to thank Bulbasaur for the best idea.

Helmets for everyone.

That looks ace! Nice!

I thought about doing the same thing, but all my tacticals have those. I'm trying to wait out and see if the upgraydd pack has anything good, but I might just use one of these instead:

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Hollismason posted:

I don't know how many Necron players we have in the thread but if you did miss this in the codex it is possible now to have a first turn charge with Scarabs pretty easily now because you can produce them at any point in the Spyders move.

Nope. 6" + 6" = 12" 12" charge + 12" = 24". You start over 24" away. Basic math.

EDIT: If you place the scarabs before moving them you would gain ~3", which means you would need a ~9" charge. Not what I consider pretty easy. Considering how easy it is to see coming it wouldn't work more than once.

LordAba fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Feb 26, 2015

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

LordAba posted:

Nope. 6" + 6" = 12" 12" charge + 12" = 24". You start over 24" away. Basic math.

EDIT: If you place the scarabs before moving them you would gain ~3", which means you would need a ~9" charge. Not what I consider pretty easy. Considering how easy it is to see coming it wouldn't work more than once.

...or you might be going second, in which case enemy units will have already moved toward you before your first turn starts

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
If an opponent moves a good assault target toward a fast-moving assault unit they deserve what's coming.

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.

LordAba posted:

I think what he is implying is...

Spyder move in front of the scarab unit, then produces a new 40mm base at the extreme of 2" coherency.

That is over 3" of extra model base at the front of the scarab unit, thus starting their move essentially 9" from center line instead of 12" away.

Combine that with enemy scouts or enemy first turn and you are in an adventagious position, especially if you bide them behind an aegis line and leapfrog new models infront in the safety of your turn.

But this is a trick they did before and it was neat, but not a real game changer.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Isnt there a restriction on assaulting in the first turn of any game? Not if you go second of course, but if you go first?

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

serious gaylord posted:

Isnt there a restriction on assaulting in the first turn of any game? Not if you go second of course, but if you go first?

This restriction is only for units that have deployed using Scout.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Infiltrators can't charge the first turn either. If I remember right, this was only for the first player turn 6th edition, but now it's the entire first game turn regardless of if you go first or second. I could easily be wrong though as I don't have access to a rulebook right now.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Safety Factor posted:

Infiltrators can't charge the first turn either. If I remember right, this was only for the first player turn 6th edition, but now it's the entire first game turn regardless of if you go first or second. I could easily be wrong though as I don't have access to a rulebook right now.

You are correct. You cannot assault in the first turn if you used Scout or Infiltrated. You also cannot assault if you arrived from Reserve in any way (though this obviously can't happen first turn anyway).

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

quote:

Decided I wanted to get a second army, so I stopped by my local GW store on the way home today to pick up my order. Am I doing this right?

That stack is worth more than my car.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Kaysette posted:

That stack is worth more than my car.

It is nice to see people keeping the economy rolling forward, isn't it?

Meanwhile, I saved £10 on an order for the new Shadowseer, new Deathjester and pair of Starweavers by ordering from DarkSphere.co.uk rather than from GW directly.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
that guy would play loving tau

VolatileSky
May 5, 2007
i'm gay thx
How the hell could you afford that from working at best buy?

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

VolatileSky posted:

How the hell could you afford that from working at best buy?

When you live with your parents you have a ton of disposable income.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
While we're posting ham images, this has been making the rounds today:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

krushgroove posted:

That's honestly one of the more productive uses of a lecture theatre I've seen

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
That guy is probably paying for that course he isn't learning from as well as the Hams he also isn't learning from.

Big Willy Style posted:

There Heroquest gargoyle is back and he is pissed

I have a Heroquest set with the box still. I think I cut up a goblin model and a skellington for 40k use but the rest is in there. The nostalgia value isn't so much to me that I'd refuse to sell it (even my brother that isn't a nerd played it with us when we were children, I think he chose to be the barbarian).

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost

PierreTheMime posted:

You are correct. You cannot assault in the first turn if you used Scout or Infiltrated. You also cannot assault if you arrived from Reserve in any way (though this obviously can't happen first turn anyway).

quote:

A unit that deploys using these rules (Infiltrate) cannot charge in their first turn.

quote:

A unit that makes a Scout redeployment cannot charge in the first game turn.

Scouts can if they go second, infiltrators can't at all. Guess which Genestealers have.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

Post 9-11 User posted:

That guy is probably paying for that course he isn't learning from as well as the Hams he also isn't learning from.

Or he is from glorious scandinavia and doesnt pay a thing :smugbert:

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

spacegoat posted:

Scouts can if they go second, infiltrators can't at all. Guess which Genestealers have.

Incorrect. 7th Edition fixed that. Scout states "a unit that makes a Scout redeployment cannot charge in the first game turn." Game turns, as defined on page 17, are "two player turns."

I'm currently refreshing myself on all the rules in prep for my GT this weekend, so I'm just sitting here with the book at work being a terrible nerd.

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost
Oh Jesus loving Christ GW. Why the distinction?

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

krushgroove posted:

Goddamn. This dude must have no sense of shame.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
There's a very, very good reason why there's a distinction between a player turn and a game turn. Why the outrage?

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost
There is in the general sense, but when two separate rules refer to two separate cases of "turn" to say the same thing, that's garbage rules writing.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord
/\/\/\
Edit: Yeah, that.

MasterSlowPoke posted:

There's a very, very good reason why there's a distinction between a player turn and a game turn. Why the outrage?

I think he means why the distinction in those two restrictions for assault across two different rules, not the player turn/game turn as a whole. It's likely that each rule was written by a different person and they simply didn't unify the wording in final editing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Because scout is different to infiltrate?

• Locked thread