Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Hermsgervørden posted:

Cross-posting this from the physics thread in ask/tell: I made an observation yesterday, and I couldn't understand what was going on. My family and I were departing Rochester airport, where weather conditions are best explained by analogy to Hoth as far as my California mind is concerned, and our plane (Embraer 175) had to undergo a deicing procedure before we could flee the frozen Northeast. My daughter and I were seated behind the wing, and we got a great view of the anti-ice fluid streaming off the trailing edge as we took off. But I noticed something really surprising (to me) on the aileron. A pool of green anti-ice fluid persisted on the back half of the top surface of the aileron well after takeoff which as I watched changed from a mostly flat pool of fluid into a standing wave, maybe 3-6 inches tall, almost like a mohawk. It hung around for maybe a minute or two after takeoff. I could not take a picture because my daughter was already very engaged with my phone. Can anyone explain what was going on there? It definitely did not freeze. I'm not sure what exactly the fluid was, the plane was sprayed twice, first with orange fluid, then with green fluid. The green stuff was still all over the wing when we started the take-off roll. It was dancing and rippling and waving. As far as I could tell, it sort of dripped away upward, perpendicular to the top surface of the aileron. I'd point out that the fluid only acted strangely on the aileron, on the wing surface on either side, and the flaps closer to the wing root, the anti-ice fluid just streamed off as I expected, like rain off a car window.

So the two types of deicing fluid are different properties and viscosities, the orange one literally sticks around when all the green stuff has blown off. At a guess I'd say what you were seeing was probably the where the boundary layer of air across the top surface of the wing stops being laminar and becomes turbulent. As these rolling vortices start forming at the trailing edge they would start to lift up the viscous deicing fluid and draw it in to a little wave. The reason I'd posit for you only seeing the effect on the aileron is that the wing is probably designed that way, so that these aerodynamic effects happen deliberately over the ailerons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hermsgervørden
Apr 23, 2004
Møøse Trainer

YF19pilot posted:

As an engineer, I would've loved to have seen that. In simplest terms that I can, you witnessed the fluid getting caught in aerodynamic effects. Being on a control surface or lift generating device (I'd like to ask if it was actually an aileron or a flap you were observing), the air coming over is usually transitioning from laminar to turbulent flow, which can have some interesting effects. There is a thin layer of non-moving air called a boundary layer, which exists in the laminar flow regions. When it gets too big, the flow transitions from laminar (smooth) to turbulent behavior. Possibly you saw the water getting trapped in that transitional area, or the water was being atomized and the pooling was just most of the fluid coming together in a common area (which can be caused by how the air flows over the wing).

It was pretty drat cool to watch, like a magic trick. I had to suppress the urge to press the call button and do my best Shatner "Some . . . Thing . . . on the Wing". Also, aileron for certain.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

eh, it's been done.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Aeronautical Insanity: Thundering typhoons, some people air travel for fun!

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Slo-Tek posted:

Well, this is aeronautical and insane. First pictures I've seen of the Stratolaunch mothership in construction. Will be the largest airplane ever, by a healthy margin, when it is complete. Twin-hulled, twin-boom, 6 engine White-Knight style lifter designed to carry a medium sized 3 stage rocket up to altitude and launch satellites into LEO.

http://aviationweek.com/blog/inside-rocs-lair

I really thought air breathing first stages were a good idea before SpaceX started Buck Rodgersing with flyback first stages, but at this point in both their developments, feel like flyback stages are a lot more scalable.

Am I mistaken or is that six B777 engines? :stonk:

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Mortabis posted:

Am I mistaken or is that six B777 engines? :stonk:

According to Wikipedia, no, they're 'planned to be sourced from 2 747-400s', so probably CF6s (I'd love to hear the sound of 6 RB211s mind you)

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

SybilVimes posted:

According to Wikipedia, no, they're 'planned to be sourced from 2 747-400s', so probably CF6s (I'd love to hear the sound of 6 RB211s mind you)

Comedy option: Pratt and Whitney 4056s.

(gently caress Pratt and Whitney cowlings, for ever and ever.)

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

MrYenko posted:

According to the article, they are going to use refurbished P&W 4056s. :laugh:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

They're good engines, they're just a pain to work on. CF6s break a bit more, but are MUCH easier to get open.

I have no comment on RB211s.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Linedance posted:

So the two types of deicing fluid are different properties and viscosities, the orange one literally sticks around when all the green stuff has blown off. At a guess I'd say what you were seeing was probably the where the boundary layer of air across the top surface of the wing stops being laminar and becomes turbulent. As these rolling vortices start forming at the trailing edge they would start to lift up the viscous deicing fluid and draw it in to a little wave. The reason I'd posit for you only seeing the effect on the aileron is that the wing is probably designed that way, so that these aerodynamic effects happen deliberately over the ailerons.

There are are different types of deicing fluid, yes. That's dependent on the mixture of etholyne glycol and water. What he saw was deicing fluid and anti-icing fluid. Green snotty looking poo poo is anti-icing fluid. It'll collect any falling precip, which will slough off the wing during takeoff roll.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Most de-ice/anti-ice fluid today is propylene glycol, as it is much less toxic; in fact propylene glycol is a common food additive. Also the the thickness of anti-ice fluid is generally a result of other food-grade additives, like guar gum or something similar.

That said, I wouldn't go drink a glass of Type IV anytime soon; the corrosion inhibitors typically found in it are pretty bad for you.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Who can identify this airplane ? http://i.imgur.com/8nyBNBd.jpg

Linked so I don't break tables.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Captain Apollo posted:

Who can identify this airplane ? http://i.imgur.com/8nyBNBd.jpg

Linked so I don't break tables.

Fouga CM.170 Magister

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
All Hail Yenko - True aircraft identifier of the gods.

How the hell did you know that?

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Captain Apollo posted:

All Hail Yenko - True aircraft identifier of the gods.

How the hell did you know that?

The list of butterfly tail tandem seat jet trainers is not a large one.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

What are the advantages, if any, of a V-tail design?

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
Increased rate of doctor mortality?

Entone
Aug 14, 2004

Take that slow people!

Inacio posted:

There is less interference drag from fewer structures that interact with the relative wind. It's also a bit lighter.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Inacio posted:

For one, a V-tail is aerodynamically and structurally more efficient than a conventional set of stabilisers.

There are some disadvantages, like needing very complicated control linkages (for conventional controls) and some weird coupling effects under certain conditions.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

MrYenko posted:

Huh.

quote:

Built for Stratolaunch by Scaled Composites, the Roc will be the largest aircraft ever made with a wingspan of 385 ft. This compares to 320 ft for the Hughes H-4 Hercules (Spruce Goose), 290 ft for the six-engined Antonov An-225, 262 ft. for the Airbus A380, and 225 ft. for the Boeing 747-8. Powered by six reconditioned Pratt & Whitney PW4056 engines salvaged along with other parts from two ex-United Airlines Boeing 747-400s, the twin-fuselage carrier aircraft resembles a vastly enlarged version of the Scaled-built WhiteKnightTwo developed for Virgin Galactic.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Sanguine posted:

I appreciated this post

marumaru
May 20, 2013

MrChips posted:

For one, a V-tail is aerodynamically and structurally more efficient than a conventional set of stabilisers.

What, seriously?
And control authority is not at all affected by the weirdass setup?

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Sanguine posted:

Saw this joke augering in from 15,000 feet: still chuckled.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
Why does all the apache chat happen when I look away for a couple days?

iyaayas01 posted:

I think Hughes actually did something like that for the Apache way back when it was first introduced, but it wasn't nearly as cool.

Also pretty sure some Guard unit also did something similar when they got their first UH-72 a few years back.

I am really pissed that I can't find the pic from the Longbow release ceremony where they had a native american dude on horseback. gently caress.

iyaayas01 posted:

Army doesn't fly their RPAs from CONUS, they fly from in-theater. Everybody/everything rotates in/out with each new Army unit deploying/redeploying.

Yes, this includes all the equipment, including both aircraft and ground control stations. Yes, it is inefficient as it sounds.

This is why the Army shouldn't have airplanes.

Also with the Apache pilot "flying" Grey Eagle, he isn't really flying it in the sense of actively controlling the aircraft with direct control inputs, he's just telling it to follow a series of pre-determined waypoints and then point the ball at something interesting that the pilot wants to look at..as opposed to the enlisted guy on the ground in the trailer who normally accomplishes that task.

This is basically correct. The Army doesn't have RPAs, where (in my understanding) an actual dude with aviator wings might be doing stick and rudder work, they have UAS operated by non-rated enlisted soldiers. So nobody is actually flying any of the Army ones, they're really just being operated and managed. Level 4 teaming between manned and unmanned systems doesn't require anyone to do any more flying, just opens up opportunities for a gun pilot to do sensor work way way way ahead of where they are physically located.

In GWOT terms: an attack weapons team rushes to a TIC 30 minutes away. For the entire en-route portion of that flight, the sensor on the front of the aircraft is worthless WRT the TIC because it lacks line of sight. The front seater arrives on scene and is expected to throw rounds in close proximity to friendly forces that are spread all over an unfamiliar urban environment. He/she has to learn which building is which in this complicated neighborhood while being driven in circles and staring at a constantly rotating feed from a camera that's pointing 90 degrees left of how they're sitting. With teaming, they can redirect a nearby gray eagle over there and start building SA while they're still in the FARP. Front seater arrives on station already knowing where everyone is, big advantage.

In tank fight terms: SAMs and ADA are scary as gently caress. I'm gonna hide below treetop level two mountain ranges away while passively watching that expendable UAS poke its head over hilltops. If I can control its laser designator, I can sling hellfires from behind cover and they'll fly to whatever it's lasing.

As far as the deploying thing goes: Major systems like aircraft don't necessarily rotate in and out with every unit, they stay in the fight for as long as the engineers determined they can be ridden hard before needing a reset at a higher level maintenance facility back in the states. Every time I've deployed we've either given all of our aircraft and major support equipment to another unit before leaving, or taken our stuff down range and left it there for the next guy.

MrYenko posted:

How are we supposed to get badass Apache/Grey Eagle formation videos if the pilot has to fly both birds?

:colbert:

Army declares Chinook no longer the only aircraft that can midair with itself after junior Apache pilot enters wrong grid in drone software.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Hermsgervørden posted:

Cross-posting this from the physics thread in ask/tell: I made an observation yesterday, and I couldn't understand what was going on. My family and I were departing Rochester airport, where weather conditions are best explained by analogy to Hoth as far as my California mind is concerned, and our plane (Embraer 175) had to undergo a deicing procedure before we could flee the frozen Northeast. My daughter and I were seated behind the wing, and we got a great view of the anti-ice fluid streaming off the trailing edge as we took off. But I noticed something really surprising (to me) on the aileron. A pool of green anti-ice fluid persisted on the back half of the top surface of the aileron well after takeoff which as I watched changed from a mostly flat pool of fluid into a standing wave, maybe 3-6 inches tall, almost like a mohawk. It hung around for maybe a minute or two after takeoff. I could not take a picture because my daughter was already very engaged with my phone. Can anyone explain what was going on there? It definitely did not freeze. I'm not sure what exactly the fluid was, the plane was sprayed twice, first with orange fluid, then with green fluid. The green stuff was still all over the wing when we started the take-off roll. It was dancing and rippling and waving. As far as I could tell, it sort of dripped away upward, perpendicular to the top surface of the aileron. I'd point out that the fluid only acted strangely on the aileron, on the wing surface on either side, and the flaps closer to the wing root, the anti-ice fluid just streamed off as I expected, like rain off a car window.

Airflow and pressure changes around airplanes does some weird stuff. That sounds like it would be really cool to watch.

There's a spot on the back of the engine on an E-2 that tends to collect fluid in a similar way. It's not uncommon to look out and see oil/condensation/other crap streaming back and pooling up in a little blob right on the bottom of the exhaust can. Handy for identifying what exactly is leaking at any given time.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane

MrChips posted:

There are some disadvantages, like needing very complicated control linkages (for conventional controls) and some weird coupling effects under certain conditions.

It is a bit odd doing a forward slip on final with full rudder and running out of elevator as you enter ground effect. That is about the only time I can tell I am flying a vtail.

Inverted vtails are the best vtail's. They actually induce the correct rolling motion when used for yaw.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous
I don't know if I'll ever stop looking askance at people who say "mill" for "engine."

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Sanguine posted:

Nice nice. The fouga was the first model plane I ever built.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ambihelical Hexnut posted:

Army declares Chinook no longer the only aircraft that can midair with itself

What

(wait do you mean like the rotors can smack into eachother?)

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Phy posted:

What

Yeah, the rotors have to be synchronized to keep from hitting each other, like the valves and pistons of an interference engine. If, say, the front rotor driveshaft or one of the gearboxes gives up the ghost, one rotor can slow down while the other remains at full speed, so they end up shredding each other.

Also makes it impossible to autorotate in that situation. Obviously.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005

Fucknag posted:

Yeah, the rotors have to be synchronized to keep from hitting each other, like the valves and pistons of an interference engine. If, say, the front rotor driveshaft or one of the gearboxes gives up the ghost, one rotor can slow down while the other remains at full speed, so they end up shredding each other.

Also makes it impossible to autorotate in that situation. Obviously.

Chinook ain't got nothing on the K-Max

Comedy option:

vessbot fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Feb 28, 2015

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

vessbot posted:

Chinook ain't got nothing on the K-Max

Comedy option:

That top one is the comedy option. Jesus, what the hell? "Trust me, I'm an engineer!"

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
More rotors! More god damned rotors all over everything!

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
Kellett XR-10, 1947: http://youtu.be/pl9IiVf4Vs0

Like the K-Max, bit with two 3-bladed rotors! According to Wiki, it suffered a blade collision in flight but it did not bring the helicopter down (however, another problem did.)

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

They got the bulge wrong, it should slope outward on the bottom to accommodate the test pilot's gigantic balls.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

bitcoin bastard posted:

They got the bulge wrong, it should slope outward on the bottom to accommodate the test pilot's gigantic balls.

Funny you should say that, that photo is of the unmanned version. :v:

Though it's based on a piloted design. I saw one once at Lancaster, CA airfield and was really, really confused.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Phy posted:

What

The CH-46 and -47 used to be 'affectionately' known as the Boeing Body Bags. The crew chiefs routinely walked out of both helos soaked in transmission fluid, and in one case, a -46 from my father's squadron back in 1990 threw a rotor blade off the coast of Virginia Beach and loving *exploded* when it impacted the other rotor housing, severing fuel lines and igniting the tanks.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The CH-46 and -47 used to be 'affectionately' known as the Boeing Body Bags. The crew chiefs routinely walked out of both helos soaked in transmission fluid, and in one case, a -46 from my father's squadron back in 1990 threw a rotor blade off the coast of Virginia Beach and loving *exploded* when it impacted the other rotor housing, severing fuel lines and igniting the tanks.

Did you make the face in your avatar when he told you about that? Cause I am now. Jesus.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Phy posted:

Did you make the face in your avatar when he told you about that? Cause I am now. Jesus.

Actually, the reason I remember it so vividly is that we were going up to bury my grandfather's ashes in New York and we heard about it on the drive up on the radio - whenever anything Navy-related crashes in the Hampton Roads area it's like the Kennedy assassination. My father had been the squadron's maintenance officer, but wasn't when this had happened since he was well into the process of transitioning to CH-53Es for his command tour.

http://articles.dailypress.com/1990-07-03/news/9007030193_1_helicopter-rotor-blades-sea-knights

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Feb 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Obviously the solution to all this rotor-caused self destruction is to just switch to twin ducted fans like those cool gunships in Avatar. Sure you lose the ability to auto rotate but you also look way cooler.