Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

axleblaze posted:

I'll third. Motion passes. ABCs of Death is garbage.

Seriously though, as I said earlier, I was downright shocked at how bad that movie turned out. The best segments there are mediocre and the worst are borderline unwatchable.
Fourthed. I didn't enjoy a single loving short, and I think The New Guy is the most subversive comedy on Netflix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Just saw Lair of the White Worm is leaving Netflix on 3/1

Do watch. It's by the director of Tommy, and he goes in some deliriously trippy directions with this movie.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

david_a posted:

Someone mentioned Frank Miller's involvement and I wanted to expand on that a bit. Miller wrote the original script for RoboCop 2 (he's actually in the movie too as a scientist). However, the studio wisely thought it was unfilmable and yanked a lot of stuff out of it. I've heard that when Irvin Kershner (the director of Empire Strikes Back) was brought on to save the film he edited it even more, sometimes even doing daily rewrites. I don't know if he was going to retire anyway, but RoboCop 2 ended up being the last movie he directed.

For years afterwards Miller claimed that they had ruined his original script and the movie would have been much better with his original vision. Well, someone inadvertently called his bluff and adapted the original script into a comic book which was even worse than the movie. In retrospect it actually improves the standing of the second movie, because if that dreck was the starting point it's amazing the end result wasn't totally unwatchable.

Also: Irvin Kershner just strikes me as, like, the completely wrong person to direct a RoboCop sequel.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

K. Waste posted:

Also: Irvin Kershner just strikes me as, like, the completely wrong person to direct a RoboCop sequel.

It was originally going to be Tim Hunter, who at that point was best known for directing River's Edge.

Let that sink in.

Also, one of the things that hampered Kershner's work on RoboCop 2 was that he was stricken with a terrible case of the flu right when production started; I believe he spent much of the shoot in a wheelchair.

Battle Rockers
Aug 3, 2008

i wanna witness ur slit

drunken officeparty posted:

I'm a year late to the party but I've been slowly getting through Cosmos and the way Neil DeGrasse Tyson says the word "water" makes me cringe.

Warr-durr

I thought I was the only one.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

drunken officeparty posted:

I'm a year late to the party but I've been slowly getting through Cosmos and the way Neil DeGrasse Tyson says the word "water" makes me cringe.

Warr-durr

I think it was like the third or fourth episode that he says it like 20 times and it drove me crazy. I don't know if I can trust a science man if he pronounces 'water' so wrong.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Just saw Lair of the White Worm is leaving Netflix on 3/1

Do watch. It's by the director of Tommy, and he goes in some deliriously trippy directions with this movie.

It's pretty great. Take a drink every time there's gratuitous phallic imagery.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

The Vosgian Beast posted:

It's pretty great. Take a drink every time there's gratuitous phallic imagery.

This post is going to show up on a coroner's report somewhere near the words "alcohol poisoning."

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
True crime fans might like the Death Row Stories TV show which I just found on Netflix. Ive only watched the first episode, of eight available. The first episode is about a black fella convicted of the murder of an old white lady and sentenced to death, except it's pretty obvious he had nothing to do with it and htf did this even get to a court to begin with, holy poo poo.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

K. Waste posted:

It's also co-written by Frank Miller, who, despite probably sharing Verhoeven's anti-corporate affinities, is bound to interpret these in ways that are implicitly pro-fascist. The ending of RoboCop is just a comic-reversal on the 'stormy' conclusion of John Ford's Young Mr. Lincoln. RoboCop 2 treats it as 'a step in the right direction.'

It's odd, because RoboCop 2 is basically Frank Miller doing to Paul Verhoeven what Paul Verhoeven eventually did with Robert A. Heinlein.

When I watched Robocop 2 I was confused by the (what felt like) 20-minute sequence crammed in early where Robocop is given a massive list of "politically-correct" directives and does dumb stuff like hug a criminal and draw a gun on a little kid for eating ice cream. It wasn't all that funny, and soon the directives are erased anyway so it doesn't go anywhere.

At the end I saw the words "Screenplay by FRANK MILLER" and became enlightened.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Small tip, if you decide to watch The Spirit (currently on Hulu) thinking, "Well, how bad can it be?" it opens with Frank Miller going into full Frank Miller mode and then going on to take a long piss all over Will Eisner's corpse.

The constant tone shifts, sometimes from shot to shot, is giving me whiplash...

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
I stopped watching the Spirit when the first scene took like twenty minutes to finish. The writing and direction was too poor to sustain such pacing.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Last House on Cemetary Lane might be the most boring movie on Netflix. It's like a high school play lit by a tanning salon. It's put me to sleep in under 5 minutes flat twice now.
It says horror but as far as I can tell it's two actors ad libbing a house rental.

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

Quick reminder that Season 3 of House of Cards is on Netflix now

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Kloaked00 posted:

Quick reminder that Season 3 of House of Cards is on Netflix now

As if C-- wasn't reminding me enough. Last night: "You want to set our alarm clocks so we get up at 3am and watch an episode or two?"

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

stickyfngrdboy posted:

True crime fans might like the Death Row Stories TV show which I just found on Netflix. Ive only watched the first episode, of eight available. The first episode is about a black fella convicted of the murder of an old white lady and sentenced to death, except it's pretty obvious he had nothing to do with it and htf did this even get to a court to begin with, holy poo poo.

Death Row Stories is insane.

outy
Aug 27, 2004

My wife binge-watched House of Cards then spent a year trying to convince me to watch it. It got to the point where I was just not watching it to be contrarian, so I finally gave it a shot. She was right, it is brilliant.

I love that woman. I love her like a shark loves blood.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

outy posted:

My wife binge-watched House of Cards then spent a year trying to convince me to watch it. It got to the point where I was just not watching it to be contrarian, so I finally gave it a shot. She was right, it is brilliant.

I love that woman. I love her like a shark loves blood.

You sound like my fiancee as I tried to convince her to watch Firefly, BSG, the Wire, Arrested Development...current targets are Breaking Bad and Archer. On the other hand, she's trying to make me catch up to her in Orange is the new Black and House of Cards, so...

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
So I probably only have time to watch one movie before March 1 and there a few still in my queue that are going to disappear. Should I watch The Elephant Man, Lair of the White Worm, or Leaving Las Vegas?

I like weird stuff, so I'd be leaning towards either of the first two, but then I know Leaving Las Vegas is maybe Cage's best performance and I really need to see that already.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
The Elephant Man is the best of those three films and you should watch that one.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Basebf555 posted:

I like weird stuff, so I'd be leaning towards either of the first two, but then I know Leaving Las Vegas is maybe Cage's best performance and I really need to see that already.

The Elephant Man is definitely the best but Leaving Las Vegas is incredible, too. Very soul-crushing, though.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Pander posted:

You sound like my fiancee as I tried to convince her to watch Firefly, BSG, the Wire, Arrested Development...current targets are Breaking Bad and Archer. On the other hand, she's trying to make me catch up to her in Orange is the new Black and House of Cards, so...

My fiance and I have been enjoying Community on UK netflix. It is absolutely fantastic and I really wish I'd started it earlier.

Also Boondocks season 4 is finally up. If you haven't been watching that show, you hosed up.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Basebf555 posted:

So I probably only have time to watch one movie before March 1 and there a few still in my queue that are going to disappear. Should I watch The Elephant Man, Lair of the White Worm, or Leaving Las Vegas?

In this order:
1) The Elephant Man
2) Lair of the White Worm
3) Leaving Las Vegas

Chichevache posted:

Also Boondocks season 4 is finally up. If you haven't been watching that show, you hosed up.

If you haven't been watching Season 4, you made the right choice.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The first 3 seasons of The Boondocks are great though. So watch those.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

K. Waste posted:

In this order:
1) The Elephant Man
2) Lair of the White Worm
3) Leaving Las Vegas

If you haven't been watching Season 4, you made the right choice.

I've never seen season 4, but I'm watching the first episode and it ain't too bad. :shrug:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Elephant Man it is.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Chichevache posted:

In the other hand Boondocks mostly hasn't been worth watching since season 1.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Didn't they get the episodes out of order on the broadcast? I hope they fix that for the netflix release. Had to stop watching about 3 episodes in when it was on the air

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Chichevache posted:

I've never seen season 4, but I'm watching the first episode and it ain't too bad. :shrug:

axleblaze posted:

In the other hand Boondocks mostly hasn't been worth watching since season 1.

The worst thing about season 4 is that there's literally an episode where Huey - as a loving slave - has an inner monologue expounding upon how we shouldn't be surprised because of the systemic erosion of the middle-class. There are a lot of really inspired episodes from the second and third seasons, but axle is right in that in general it really hasn't been a very consistently on point program. But when McGruder left for the far superior Black Jesus, the precipitous decline in not only quality but also just basic competency with handling the show's sociopolitical content is kind of astounding. It's basically ended as a glorified minstrel show.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
To go into more detail, the first season of Boondocks was mostly good with a only like two dismal episodes (one of which, the MLK one, people seem to really like for some reason). After that though it went downhill pretty dramatically. There was still an occasional good episode but the plot mainly became the same few unfunny things over and over again. Most episodes can be broken down to "My Mary Sue looks down on those crazy black people", "Tom is not black enough and should be mocked", "Women? Amirite???", "Ruckus is a horrible person" and "extended, not really all that funny kung fu movie parody". It says alot that out of all of those the Ruckus ones were the most watchable.

I gave up after McGruder left. The show seemed as obnoxious as ever but without that little bit of soul it still had left. I just couldn't bring myself to watch anymore.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
the first threes seasons of the boondocks are good

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Watched Money for Nothing which was about The Federal Reserve's hand in the housing bubble and subprime mortgage crisis. Faint whiffs of gold buggery aside, it did a good job of explaining the Fed's basic charter, how they gradually became more influential in the economy, and mostly of showing Allen Greenspan's long-term aversion to regulation and to raising the federal funds rate. Like most documentaries about the crisis, you leave it with the sense that we're setting ourselves up for another one due to lax regulation, the obscene amount of money and political power financial institutions have, and the realities of too big to fail.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
So next month Netflix is adding all of two movies that were made before 2000? It may be an incomplete list, but to me it's always frustrating that they don't go more into catalog stuff.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Maxwell Lord posted:

So next month Netflix is adding all of two movies that were made before 2000? It may be an incomplete list, but to me it's always frustrating that they don't go more into catalog stuff.

People used to complain they didn't add enough new stuff. They can't win.

At any rate, those early preview posts are never complete. There will be much more stuff than what was on that list.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

I just got an email from Netflix letting me know a new Ralphie May special has been added.

I want to know what Netflix recommendation algorithm I screwed up on to allow this to happen. :negative:

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

Dango Bango posted:

I just got an email from Netflix letting me know a new Ralphie May special has been added.

I want to know what Netflix recommendation algorithm I screwed up on to allow this to happen. :negative:

So did I and I do not watch much stand-up and definitely have never watched anything by Ralphie May.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Dango Bango posted:

The algorithm is the one that consults your account preferences to see if you want marketing email.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I watched half of the first half of the first episode of HOC probably 5 times over the last few years. I don't know why I never get around to watching it. I'm sure I'll like it, but the premise doesn't interest me that much. One of these days though...

red19fire
May 26, 2010

NESguerilla posted:

I watched half of the first half of the first episode of HOC probably 5 times over the last few years. I don't know why I never get around to watching it. I'm sure I'll like it, but the premise doesn't interest me that much. One of these days though...

The show is the very definition of slow burn because it has the advantage of not being beholden to ratings or week-to-week cliffhanger pressure because all the episodes of each season get released at once. I don't really even like it that much, but it's consistently solid if difficult to follow.

Basebf555 posted:

Elephant Man it is.

Bradley Cooper was on 60 minutes last week after the Oscars and he said that this is the movie that made him want to become an actor. He also does a Broadway play version which is supposed to be excellent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

red19fire posted:

Bradley Cooper was on 60 minutes last week after the Oscars and he said that this is the movie that made him want to become an actor. He also does a Broadway play version which is supposed to be excellent.

I just finished watching it and I'm wrecked emotionally.