Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Foppery
Dec 27, 2013

I POSSESS THE POWER CHRONIC

R. Mute posted:

also say what you want about spike lee, but i'm watching malcolm x and i just gotta respect starting a film with a burning american flag

I just watched 25th Hour. The dude obviously has incredible talent even if he doesn't always put it to good use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

why is thomas pikkety speaking english on this brazilian tv show if he's being translated anyway

visceril
Feb 24, 2008

Mayor Dave posted:

this one is by far my strongest rec and I'd hate to condemn myself to failure because i wasn't confident enough to talk to him about it

just sent a reminder message, hope he gets it in time

Good. You don't want to miss this because you were lazy/scared.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Badger of Basra posted:

why is thomas pikkety speaking english on this brazilian tv show if he's being translated anyway

because he's french

never attempt to understand the mind of a frenchie, or else you end up with magog winning

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Badger of Basra posted:

He probably expects that more Brazilians know English than French, and also that Brazil's translators are better at English to Portugese than French to Portugese.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

My Imaginary GF posted:

because he's french

never attempt to understand the mind of a frenchie, or else you end up with magog winning

ut arlington is a university of quitters, migf.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Badger of Basra posted:

ut arlington is a university of quitters, migf.

a friend got an offer there. i'm happy for him, wondering what he should be expecting in terms of funding

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

My Imaginary GF posted:

a friend got an offer there. i'm happy for him, wondering what he should be expecting in terms of funding

is this your plan after you lose the runoff like a bitch

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Rodatose posted:

Right, what i'm saying is "It's about making a new model of masculinity!" was a rhetorical claim to make whatever comfort zone they have seem lofty and just. That's the rhetorical cover that doesn't match people's actions, where the action in the brony world was sexualizing sparkling toon animals and pulling on the pork wagon all day, and meeting/socializing with people who have a common interest and have similar attitudes that don't make them uncomfortable

I figured, I just wanted to be gross.:waycool:

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Mayor Dave posted:

ok so i've applied to a couple grad schools but i haven't heard back yet, the problem is that i logged into one of my accounts and one of my professors hasn't sent the recommendation yet, after a month

should i just succumb to the inevitable despair of failure? or just keep drinking and hope he gets it done?

Talk to your prof. I've been right where you are and it turned out my prof just kind of forgot to send it because he had a ton of other poo poo to do.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Chuy is an objectively better candidate than Rahm

look at that wholesome family

the new face of america, people

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Mayor Dave posted:

this one is by far my strongest rec and I'd hate to condemn myself to failure because i wasn't confident enough to talk to him about it

just sent a reminder message, hope he gets it in time

It's like herding cats. It doesn't get better when you're applying for post-docs, let me tell you buddy.

What field are you applying for?

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

God bless these united states. Llamas man

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

nutranurse posted:

If you want a return to the Washington years, sure. I mean, Chuy hasn't been caught in women's underwear with a live boy and some fast eddie cocaine yet, but there's still time.

The old face of clearing everyone with ability from the assessor's office, to be replaced by a single race of managers, I tell you what. Just like Washington.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Waking Life is not a loving drama, you loving hacks. Jesus.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Absurd Alhazred posted:

It's like herding cats. It doesn't get better when you're applying for post-docs, let me tell you buddy.

What field are you applying for?

it's just for a master's in public policy, i'd think it would be a pretty easy thing to get, but so far the process has been long and stressful and i'm not even in yet

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Mayor Dave posted:

it's just for a master's in public policy, i'd think it would be a pretty easy thing to get, but so far the process has been long and stressful and i'm not even in yet

where did you apply?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Mayor Dave posted:

nooooo

don't do it

especially not at UChicago

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Absurd Alhazred posted:

waht the gently caress is it, besides the worst movie in cinema history

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Even though I was high as a kite when watching it, I knew that Waking Life was a terribad movie at best.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
obama can't even secure our llamas, so how is he going to secure the border? smh

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

My Imaginary GF posted:

nooooo

don't do it

especially not at UChicago

haha you think i'd leave the best state in the country for loving illinois? no, applied at usc, uw, cgu

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

nutranurse posted:

as long as it means more mustaches and shirts designed after 70s upholstery patterns we're good to go

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

nutranurse posted:

I like her blouse

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Mayor Dave posted:

haha you think i'd leave the best state in the country for loving illinois? no, applied at usc, uw, cgu

harvard kennedy or bust

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Mayor Dave posted:

nooo not wisconsin

you will regret this

open q, if you had to choose between UPitt and Case Western, and you didn't drink, which would you go with?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

My Imaginary GF posted:

and you didn't drink

that's a clown question, bro

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Jagchosis posted:

waht the gently caress is it, besides the worst movie in cinema history

It's an animated series of interviews with philosophers, scientists, and charlatans, the animation providing ham-fisted allegories to the subject matter. It's bad. Really bad. And if you ever want an idea of how much you should trust WatchMojo's taste in cinema, keep in mind that they've put this as their number 10 animated film aimed at adults. :cripes:

Mayor Dave posted:

No Rockefeller College love? :smith:

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Joementum posted:

that's a clown question, bro

again, not for me, for a friend

i loving drink. I drink, and I like it.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Mayor Dave posted:

the grad school application process is just to acclimate you to the endless raft of bullshit you'll be dealing with on a regular basis from here on out

chopper read has some words of advice:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unkIVvjZc9Y

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
case western, but only because i have family in cleveland

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

My Imaginary GF posted:

If you want a return to the Washington years, sure. I mean, Chuy hasn't been caught in women's underwear with a live boy and some fast eddie cocaine yet, but there's still time.

The old face of clearing everyone with ability from the assessor's office, to be replaced by a single race of managers, I tell you what. Just like Washington.

chuy's life literally reads as an american dream success story while rahm's life reads as a middling adaptation of american psycho with all the killing and phill collins appreaciation replaced with killing and hatefucking teacher's unions

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Jagchosis posted:

harvard kennedy or bust

why do you have such boner for harvard

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

nutranurse posted:

chuy's life literally reads as an american dream success story while rahm's life reads as a middling adaptation of american psycho with all the killing and phill collins appreaciation replaced with killing and hatefucking teacher's unions

Everything reads clean when you don't look underneath.

Badger of Basra posted:

idgi, what are you, a yalie?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Badger of Basra posted:

i'm there right now and i like it better than the other schools ive attended

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Jagchosis posted:

i'm there right now and i like it better than the other schools ive attended

oh god you're there for law aren't you

get out, get out

don't join the law review, noooooo

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

My Imaginary GF posted:

oh god you're there for law aren't you

get out, get out

don't join the law review, noooooo

lol i was in 6 law journals in law school

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Jagchosis posted:

lol i was in 6 law journals in law school

nnnoooooooooooooooooooooo

you're going to clerk for some commie like kagan, arent you?

cant even clerk for a decent justice like Scalia

• Locked thread