Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

JohnSherman posted:

Alright, can we please end the Martha storyline? It's getting ridiculous at this point.

Yea she is probably going to die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

As uncomfortable as this season has been so far with the corpse bone breaking, tooth removal and Pedophil, it's almost like they heard the news that Landgraf said he thought the show would run five seasons and took it to mean they don't have to worry about trying to keep viewers anymore.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Jesus gently caress, this is the heaviest TV since Black Mirror.

They're really playing up the downward spiral the more depraved everything gets by the episode.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Sinteres posted:

As uncomfortable as this season has been so far with the corpse bone breaking, tooth removal and Pedophil, it's almost like they heard the news that Landgraf said he thought the show would run five seasons and took it to mean they don't have to worry about trying to keep viewers anymore.

There's was probably a worry that the NBC show/ripoff Allegiance would pull viewers away from The Americans so they decided to amp up the shock value for this season.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Ill probs check out Allegiance. Dig looks worth a shot too, i really like jason isaacs

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Fetus Tree posted:

Ill probs check out Allegiance.

The difference between the shows is 'Allegiance' is about "RRRGH CRUSH ALL CHANCE OF A PAX AMERICANA" in a way that feels the same as Shadow Recruit (where most of the 'sleeper' family already is 'spied up'), whereas The Americans is more about intelligence gathering than overt (and risky) action against the U.S.. The bad part is that they've painted themselves into a corner Terminator-style. The ~grand plan to destroy America from within~ can't succeed because 1) they wouldn't have a show anymore, and 2) American viewers (specifically those who still watch NBC), don't want to see that poo poo.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

ally_1986 posted:

Man its like a car crash I should look away but! Poor Philip, you think being a Spy is all Bond and poo poo but no way Bond was ever down for that.

Wasn't Bibi Dahl in For Your Eyes Only supposed to be underage?

Fetus Tree posted:

Ill probs check out Allegiance. Dig looks worth a shot too, i really like jason isaacs

It's not bad, but doesn't hold a candle to The Americans. It felt like a cheap, NBC-produced knockoff with too happy a soundtrack at first.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Allegiance is alright for the most part and a little hokey in places but it's not really trying to rip off The Americans when it literally is an adaption of another Israeli series in all but setting. And genre-wise it's probably supposed to be more of a thriller than The Americans is.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

pentyne posted:

There's was probably a worry that the NBC show/ripoff Allegiance would pull viewers away from The Americans so they decided to amp up the shock value for this season.

For me it just makes sense for the show to get darker as Phil & Liz's pressures, murder-count, betrayals, etc keep piling up season by season. It also plays to this show's strengths and makes for some of the best spy drama when the dark poo poo gets heavy and adds an extra layer of unease to an already paranoia filled genre.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

savinhill posted:

For me it just makes sense for the show to get darker as Phil & Liz's pressures, murder-count, betrayals, etc keep piling up season by season. It also plays to this show's strengths and makes for some of the best spy drama when the dark poo poo gets heavy and adds an extra layer of unease to an already paranoia filled genre.

When they come to a head over turning their daughter, I can see Liz taking it to the point of killing Phil "for the cause". They've played down that dynamic a bit and let it simmer, but she definitely seems like she'd take that step.

Even back in Season 1, Phil is always the more level-headed and rational. When Liz is freaking out after Reagan was shot and thinks there's a coup in the government he talks her down from it because he knows that's just not how things work in America, and she berates him for acclimating to US culture and questions his loyalties.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

pentyne posted:

When they come to a head over turning their daughter, I can see Liz taking it to the point of killing Phil "for the cause". They've played down that dynamic a bit and let it simmer, but she definitely seems like she'd take that step.

Even back in Season 1, Phil is always the more level-headed and rational. When Liz is freaking out after Reagan was shot and thinks there's a coup in the government he talks her down from it because he knows that's just not how things work in America, and she berates him for acclimating to US culture and questions his loyalties.

I can see that in S1 Liz, but not S3 Liz. She's come around to Phil (tooth pulling, talking about gay sex, etc.)

biggfoo
Sep 12, 2005

My god, it's full of :jeb:!
Wow :pedo: Phil is walking a creepy line. Henry at dinner was great.

Party Plane Jones posted:

This episode takes place on November 3rd, 1982, and the following week. The Salang Tunnel fire happened when a Soviet army tanker truck exploded, causing a chain reaction along other ammo trucks and tankers in a convoy. Troops on either end sealed off the tunnel for fear of it being a general mujahideen attack.

We might reach 1983 by the end of the season, so the next should be Able Archer.

I'm really interested to see how they handle Able Archer and if they play up the reporting vs analyzing intelligence, and the frustration it could cause the illegals. Also the shooting down of KAL 007 is coming up too.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

pentyne posted:

I could see the show eventually going in this direction. Even besides the whole Paige situation, there's the Kim subplot with all it's parallells and highlighting of just how far apart their tolerances and outlooks are.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

savinhill posted:

I could see the show eventually going in this direction. Even besides the whole Paige situation, there's the Kim subplot with all it's parallells and highlighting of just how far apart their tolerances and outlooks are.

Phil having to "seduce" Kim in order to get an in to the CIA is going to gently caress him up mentally, especially if he has to sleep with her to maintain his cover (that episode is going to be a media nightmare) and might finally be the thing that breaks him of his total commitment. He sees Paige and Henry as innocents and doesn't want them forced to face the ugly reality of who their parents are, and if he ends up corrupting another young girl for the cause that might be the final straw.

I think they went with the Phil angle because Liz seducing a 16 year old boy wouldn't have the same visceral impact and her characterization up to this point would make her more likely to sleep with him to secure his trust/help as soon as possible rather then trying to avoid it like Phil is doing.

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

:toxx: Phil isn't going to sleep with an underaged girl. But her desire in sleeping with him and his need to keep up the ruse vs his repulsion at the thought of doing it will probably form part of the climax for the season.

What do you guys think will happen with Nina? Even if she is brought back to the US it's not like she could continue spying like she did before. I love the actress and the character but I hope they don't just shoehorn her into the plot because they don't want to get rid of her.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit
I really enjoy this show and think it is the best thing on TV right now and I think the most remarkable aspect of it is that viewers really do like Phil and Liz and in a way we cheer for them despite the fact that they are horrible people on a mission to destroy America and Capitalism. In the most recent episode we got to see Liz calmly kill an innocent guy by removing the jack from underneath his car and crushing his body. They didn't show the level of brutality that we saw in previous episodes but it is probably one of the most painful ways we have seen someone killed in the series. And then the montage at the end showing Phil's sexual training at the end did a very good job of showing us how much preparation went in to making them these horrible people that we enjoy watching. They are very good at what they do but what they do is downright evil and the best part is we know they will lose the war they are fighting.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

bowser posted:

I love the actress and the character but I hope they don't just shoehorn her into the plot because they don't want to get rid of her.

Sounds like that is exactly what they are doing. The writers really should have let it be after the season 2 finale.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

bowser posted:

:toxx: Phil isn't going to sleep with an underaged girl. But her desire in sleeping with him and his need to keep up the ruse vs his repulsion at the thought of doing it will probably form part of the climax for the season.

What do you guys think will happen with Nina? Even if she is brought back to the US it's not like she could continue spying like she did before. I love the actress and the character but I hope they don't just shoehorn her into the plot because they don't want to get rid of her.

Oh ho, man, I didn't think about that. A killer angle would be Beeman getting Nina back and then pulling Oleg as a defector so the happy couple can (safely) retire to Montana :3:

And also totally cock up the rezidentura

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Accretionist posted:

retire to Montana :3:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Ugh, that Flashback with Phil being in Russia and having to learn sex is pretty messed up when you realize if that was Phil's experience, I'd hate to see hers. That must have been horrific.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Hollismason posted:

Ugh, that Flashback with Phil being in Russia and having to learn sex is pretty messed up when you realize if that was Phil's experience, I'd hate to see hers. That must have been horrific.

We *did* get to see her experience - it was one of the first things Phil and Liz bonded over in S1, capturing and then, against their handler's orders, murdering a KGB defector who raped Liz during her training. It's been rumored that the training of female KGB agents involved their systematic rape by one of their male instructors or superiors, but I've never been able to find any primary source confirming it.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Feb 27, 2015

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
This show is so loving twisted. It really fucks with your head. I don't know of a show like it on the air right now. I felt like I needed a shower after that last episode.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I have a terrible memory, who was the guy crushed under the car and why did it happen?

Was it just to open up a spot for the AA lady?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Reverse Centaur posted:

I have a terrible memory, who was the guy crushed under the car and why did it happen?

Was it just to open up a spot for the AA lady?

Yep, it was another Northrup worker so that she would get in with the transfer.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
Was, bored, checking the writing credits on the episode. Who's this "Stephen Schiff" guy?

Oh, the screenwriter for the second Lolita movie, okay.

:boom:

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
I just did a marathon of the first 4 shows of Allegiance and am really liking it. Its similar to the Americans, only if Henry was Will Travers from Rubicon.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Listening to this week's Slate podcast with the writers, they have Matthew Rhys on as a guest, and I always knew he was British, but I hadn't realized his accent is basically what I think of as a bad parody impression of a British accent.

Also interesting that the writers mentioned there are moments in Philip's interaction with Kimberly where he's intentionally trying to give her to brush-off so he can go to the KGB and say he failed to seduce her, but that they only end up making her more attracted to him.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

qbert posted:

Listening to this week's Slate podcast with the writers, they have Matthew Rhys on as a guest, and I always knew he was British, but I hadn't realized his accent is basically what I think of as a bad parody impression of a British accent.

That's because he's Welsh.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

pentyne posted:

When they come to a head over turning their daughter, I can see Liz taking it to the point of killing Phil "for the cause".

I think something 'unfortunate' is going to happen to Gabriel (which might explain why Claudia/Margo is scheduled to appear later in the season), since I think Phil has finally figured out that 1) he's the one who keeps egging Liz to turn Paige after last episode's 'do whatever it takes' quip, and 2) that he realizes that ever since Liz dimed him as a potential defector who was "too comfortable" in his cover, that the Center still doesn't trust him. If you look back on it, most of the 'big jobs' have fallen to Liz since then - Phil's honestly just her 'support' at this point.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Between shoving a full sized adult into carry-on luggage, DIY dentistry and then that fat dude unzipping I've taken to watching this show just peeking over my covers.

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012
Also really liked the scenes where phillip is learning sex. The way we never see phillips face, making it much more powerful.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Gotta wonder how one ends up working in the sex training department.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

withak posted:

Gotta wonder how one ends up working in the sex training department.

In Soviet Russia? Either a) being in a position of power and wanting to gently caress the young recruits or b) Being given extra milk/bread rations and sold on the idea of serving Russia in a special way

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Recognized for your talent at a young age and trained to do so, like every other profession in Soviet Russia.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
The writers admitted in the Slate podcast that they pretty much made up Philip's sex training as depicted on the show. The only real-life account of it they found in their research involved a 40-something man recruited into the KGB who was given a few week's sex training by 2 prostitute women.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
And this is why you always use jack stands when working under your cars, kids! :eng101:

Edit: Didn't that guy also work in assembly at Northrop? Definitely should've known better; thankfully he won't get someone killed at the plant with his lax attitude to safety now.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Mar 1, 2015

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
In Soviet Russia sexual orientation gently caress you

Dance Marine
Feb 17, 2014

I personally want more appearances from Comrade Woof.

Or at least i hope he was a spy dog not some stolen pet that she brutally murdered later.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Dance Marine posted:

I personally want more appearances from Comrade Woof.

Or at least i hope he was a spy dog not some stolen pet that she brutally murdered later.

Don't be silly. She brutally murdered the owner before she took the dog for a walk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

After the mission, comrade woof just gets put in the box next to the wigs.

• Locked thread