Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
He has oil and fuel lines in the cabin. The fuel filter is next to the seat.

That thing shouldn't have been allowed near a track.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

T1g4h posted:

I'm pretty sure at the time of that article most of it was just thrown together. If you read through it, it mentions that the car didn't even have a proper alignment at the time and it was a handful to even drive. I wouldn't be surprised if he cleaned it up at some point but, again, proof of concept in its current form. I dunno, maybe it's just me, but I don't mind how hacked together it looks. It's cool as hell, it can be cleaned up later when he knows everything works like it should :v:
If he didn't build it right by then, I'd bet good money he's not going to.

(There's also the evidence of his other past projects not progressing beyond that stage.)

He has some cool ideas. If he gave them to someone else to build, they might turn into cool cars. As it is, they're not. They're shitboxes.

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Feb 26, 2015

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013
ASK:lol: ME:lol: ABOUT:lol: MY :lol:TINY :lol:DICK

also my opinion on :females:
:haw::flaccid: :haw: :flaccid: :haw: :flaccid::haw:

Slavvy posted:

Every built up car I've seen come in to our shop from japan has a distinct aura of disposability. They seem to have a really blase attitude about modifying cars in general; you do something for shits and giggles and then move on because there's always another car. If something breaks you just stick the car on a slow boat to wherever and get another one. People in western countries tend to have a really GRRR NURBURGRING PERFECTION attitude toward it and are really, really unable to deal with stuff not being perfect.

This is 100% true.

People around the world who watch too much Inital D think Japanese car culture is about riced-out Civics that have all matching bla bla. These people are all just the sort of assholes they're thought to be.

Actual Japanese car enthusiasts (again, speaking broadly, there's all types) tend to just be car geeks. So one day a guy said hey I'm going to put a bajillion turbos on this car. And his buddy said, dude the only way you can do that is if you run oil into the passenger seat. And they look at each other and grinned, and started mapping out what parts they'd need.

The aforementioned Mickey Mouse pipes, aka what the Japanese car scene is really like.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Dr.Caligari posted:

These are some cool pictures that I'm sure are gracing many garage walls, but with today's huge selection of turbos and endless tuning capabilities, is there a need for more than two turbos other than "just because we can"? I'm all for people taking on projects and doing new things like this, but is the performance and functionality ever superior to what you could do with two (or less) ? Serious question

If I recall from the article about the car (years ago,) the owner says its a pain in the rear end to tune, drive, and maintain. Its for wow-factor only.

If it's sole purpose is wow-factor, it may as well be well executed.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

MrYenko posted:

If I recall from the article about the car (years ago,) the owner says its a pain in the rear end to tune, drive, and maintain. Its for wow-factor only.

If it's sole purpose is wow-factor, it may as well be well executed.

We are talking/arguing about it/him on the internet in North America. I think it worked.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

According to the article, which practically nobody in this thread seems to have read, the guy built it entirely to fool around on a dyno just to see how something like that would work and how you would go about building the engine management system and tuning it. It's not intended as a drift car, or a race car, or a show car, or anything remotely competitive. I got the impression he knocked it together in his spare time just because.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I would imagine there's something like paris syndrome in japan where car nerds get off the plane and walk around, and everybody's driving kei hatchbacks and nobody's drifting and everything is bone stock.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Powershift posted:

I would imagine there's something like paris syndrome in japan where car nerds get off the plane and walk around, and everybody's driving kei hatchbacks and nobody's drifting and everything is bone stock.

99% of countries are like this, just swap out Kei Cars for Automatic Sedan/CUV/5 door Hatchback/1983 Mitsubishi Triton with Recoilless Rifle and there you go.

Human Grand Prix fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Feb 26, 2015

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Powershift posted:

Imagine a Japanese tourist beelining for an Autozone parking lot and gleefully marvelling at all the Chryslers with stick on plastic vents and lifted bro trucks of questionable build quality and you'd have it about right. And this Autozone has a hot rod shop next door that was featured on discovery channel at some point.
I know because I've done exactly that over there. Super Autobacs Tokyo with the Tommy Kaira shop next door.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Powershift posted:

Reverse Paris Syndrome.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

Powershift posted:

In Germany most everyone drove hatchbacks and wagons. It was glorious.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^
When I was in Machida a few years ago I saw a bunch of cool JAY DEE EMM cars and went to a bunch of car shops. None of them looked like that.

Even if he build the car to "fool around on the dyno" it's still dumb and ugly and looks worse than what I was doing with my first DSM 15 years ago. At least I could keep the foot wells clear and run lines.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Octopus Magic posted:

When I was in Machida a few years ago I saw a bunch of cool JAY DEE EMM cars and went to a bunch of car shops. None of them looked like that.

Even if he build the car to "fool around on the dyno" it's still dumb and ugly and looks worse than what I was doing with my first DSM 15 years ago. At least I could keep the foot wells clear and run lines.

Your SO mad and its super funny.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Octopus Magic is literally the only AI poster I've ever added to ignore

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

Preoptopus posted:

Yeah, I'm so mad I made a few internet posts? :confused:

revmoo posted:

Octopus Magic is literally the only AI poster I've ever added to ignore

GOOD

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Preoptopus posted:

The AV is pretty self explanatory. He even dropped DSM in there.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
The quad turbo dude rules and is making fun stuff for the sake of it.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Jesus gently caress people, step off each other's nuts for a little while.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
The quad turbo car is like that mid engine crx. Almost cool, but a terrible piece of poo poo deathtrap due to poor execution. And I'm not even going to get into how pointless 4 turbos is on that.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

365 Nog Hogger posted:

The quad turbo dude rules and is making fun stuff for the sake of it.

That car looks like it's fulfilled its lifelong dream of becoming a plane. "LOOK AT ME MA, I'M FLYIN!"

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

jamal posted:

Some of my favorite time attack cars:

And two that were a major pain in my rear end:

I'm partial to Time attack 944s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCA8ZP65Fz8

And, whilst I'm still posting obsessively about the 944, have this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_3VRBvO-dI

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Are we posting 944's now? Here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Mm3w5OvywI Apologies for background music, people are stupid.

More pictures and original listing - http://trisslsportscars.com/portfolio/1988-porsche-944-968-turbo/

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

88h88 posted:

That car looks like it's fulfilled its lifelong dream of becoming a plane. "LOOK AT ME MA, I'M FLYIN!"

I'VE DONE IT! : -)

blk
Dec 19, 2009

angryhampster posted:

I'VE DONE IT! : -)

There seems to be :frogout: in the pond.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
I think you mean :getin:.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
Speaking of poo poo going flying...

A buddy sent me this vid of a Lexus ISF front end lifting while drag racing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NWibhly_0Q

twin turbo 649 cubic inch

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

:flashfap:

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug
TinEye didn't like it - what is it? A McLaren, yes? Why the NART vents all over its bum?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Teach posted:

TinEye didn't like it - what is it? A McLaren, yes? Why the NART vents all over its bum?
Yeah, it's the XP GT, which is a homologation special of a racing version, and rare as hell. Jalopnik just had an article on it.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I think there is only 3 of them in existence.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I can't believe people used to criticise the F1 or having boring styling and not being particularly good looking. It still looks modern and futuristic while it's contemporaries all just look like outdated toys.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
The F1 was and shall forever be my impossible dream. No turbos, no million horsepower unicorn-tear-fuelled engine, no fancy AWD or active aero. Just a perfectly engineered masterpiece that shocked the world. I will love the F1 forever.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yup. Wasn't built to impress a market, wasn't built to fill a model niche, wasn't built to follow trends. Purely designed to be the best and best made supercar you could buy, with money literally no object. And it was built to attain a pure ideal, not to jump through performance target hoops. Being the fastest road car in the world was just a side-effect of BMW over-achieving on the horsepower end.

Best sportscar ever. The Led Zeppelin of cars.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Thread is now F1 chat.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Slavvy posted:

Yup. Wasn't built to impress a market, wasn't built to fill a model niche, wasn't built to follow trends.
One of my favourite bits of Gordon Murray-ness:
"It has a Kenwood multi-disc CD player, we had them specifically make us a lightweight setup for the car"
"No skimping even on the radio, then"
"Oh, no just a CD player. There's no radio"
"Why not?"
"I don't listen to the radio"

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Slavvy posted:

The Led Zeppelin of cars.

Beloved of teens, stole the best parts, and poo poo toward the end?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Possibly the only car in history to brag about aerospace technology and actually have aerospace technology instead of just a bunch of stupid NACA ducts and faux-stealth-fighter bulshittery.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Thread is now F1 chat.

timetofap.jpg

http://www.speedhunters.com/2013/04/speedhunters-meet-the-mclaren-f1-lm/

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
Post more F1 poo poo! :allears:

Slavvy posted:

Best sportscar ever. The Led Zeppelin of cars.

Thank you for that. I'm going to use that to describe the F1 from now on. Wonderful analogy.

Back when SpeedHunters wasn't poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

neckbeard posted:

Speaking of poo poo going flying...

A buddy sent me this vid of a Lexus ISF front end lifting while drag racing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NWibhly_0Q

twin turbo 649 cubic inch

I'm mildly disappointed that it's not a Lexus V8.

Damned thing flies like it weighs nothing!