Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Gaz-L posted:

Do you want me to bring up Lazara? Do you want to make me bring up Lazara? Is that where this is going?

Man, I had forgotten about that. You monster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

overtone posted:

This can probably go over in The Flash thread as well:

http://deadline.com/2015/02/arrow-flash-spin-off-cw-new-superhero-series-1201382466/

??????????????????

And Deadpool cried out in agony and did not know why

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

XboxPants posted:

Man, I had forgotten about that. You monster.

I kinda liked Batgirl's part in that story. :shobon:

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
I see Ollie's (secret) motivation as reasonable. I mean, the guy who murdered last month you is the head of an army of killers. He's proven an ability to send people to your hometown whenever, wherever. The last time this happened, you lost your company, your house and your mother. Finding a causus belli for revenge makes sense.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
"I want you to become the next Ra's Al Ghul."

"Great! Where do I sign?"

Somewhere, Batman pisses himself in rage and has no idea why. And if you think Ollie is gonna let him forget it was offered... :unsmigghh:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

BrianWilly posted:

Until further notice I'm just gonna go with the Occam's Razor of Sara getting Lazarus Pitted.

This would be hilarious but would also lead to a Canary-off, and I don't think Laurel would win :ohdear:

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I wish we could just get a League of Assassins show already.
Sportsmaster and Cheshire brought in, give Roy a kid to deal with. Deathstroke and the Suicide Squad crossovers.

It writes itself....

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

Rocksicles posted:

I wish we could just get a League of Assassins show already.
Sportsmaster and Cheshire brought in, give Roy a kid to deal with. Deathstroke and the Suicide Squad crossovers.

It writes itself....

It's the year 2025 and the CW's schedule is almost entirely composed of DC comic book based programming. Suicide Squad is canceled and is undergoing a planned reboot after a disastrous season long villain arc involving Crazy Quilt. Thursday's programing involves four different versions of The Flash airing that all take place in alternate timelines. Supernatural enters its 20th season.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm not seeing anything wrong with that. Retcons aplenty.

Hell Caity Lotz is been flagged as potential cast.... she literally just died. If they make it, i will watch it.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Barry Allen's time fuckery has some amazing repercussions.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Chokes McGee posted:

This would be hilarious but would also lead to a Canary-off, and I don't think Laurel would win :dance:

ftfy

On a more serious note, Caity Lotz being in the Atom spinoff is odd but intriguing. I really like her so I'm not complaining, but if they just have her play an unrelated character I'll be annoyed. I think it's more like to be either:

a: We've just been spoiled about Sara being revived with a Lazarus Pit (maybe Sara showing up alive will be how Lazarus Pits are properly introduced?), or;
b: Caity is playing an unrelated character but the 'same actress' thing won't be a huge deal due to her new character being some kind of mutant or whatever portrayed partly though prosthetics. Is there any DC character who could fit that?

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
Caity Lotz as Miss Martian. Hello, Canary.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The Brave and The Bold anthology idea was the first one I had too when I read that article. They could just grab a bunch of the past recurring or one time characters in 1 or 2 episode arcs, tell out of time stuff with someone like Sara, and introduce new characters or stories. It would be a cool idea as a kind of supplementary part of this building universe.

As for Oliver's motivations I don't really have a problem with them. I think it's silly to dismiss his fear that Thea would one day come to regret sending someone to their death (anyone, let alone her biological father) once she had some time to process poo poo. Especially since she did immediately start regretting it when she confided in Roy. And then of course Ollie admits that his own issues with dying at Ra's hands were loving with him goes a long way towards explaining a lot of his decisions the last few episodes. One of Ollivers driving motivations is his intense need to protect everyone and self hate when someone is hurt, and this whole season is just loving with those issues from 80 directions.

It's been said before and I'll say it again. Ollie needs a shrink.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

STAC Goat posted:

It's been said before and I'll say it again. Ollie needs a shrink.

What could Ray do?

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"
God, during the middle of the episode I was SO sure that we were leading to a reveal of "Oliver has actually been under some sort of subtle mind control by Merlyn" wherein Merlyn has been giving him a more subtle version of the mind control chemicals he used on Thea and giving him the subliminal message "protect Malcolm Merlyn at all costs" or something like that. I really, really, thought we were heading that way, especially with the repetition earlier in the episode about him using the mind control drugs on her and a breakdown of how they work blah blah blah. About 15 minutes into the show something clicked in me where I was like "OH! Obviously Malcolm has been giving Oliver mind control drugs telling him to protect Malcolm and do whatever justification necessary. Duh. It's so obvious now"

I thought Oliver's justifications for what he was doing saving Malcolm were intentionally BS, and whenever he explained why he wanted to help Malcolm after Thea turned him in he kind of stared forward with dead eyes, and then I ESPECIALLY thought that Diggle's "...are you sure that's the whole reason?" was even more explicit confirmation. I was so sure of it that I was actually kinda like "Eh, you're telegraphing your twist a little too much at this point."

And then...that wasn't the case at all? I don't want to give them credit for subverting my expectations since apparently I'm crazy and was the only one who seemed to think that was what was being implied. But in retrospect it's way better to do it the way they did. Even if I don't totally buy Oliver's motivations I think they did a pretty good job explaining them, and it's way less problematic than introducing some sort of slippery slope of subtle mind control/hypnosis which could open up a whole world of Smallville-esque craziness. And of course the twist at the end of Ra's wanting Oliver to replace him was awesome and totally redeemed any problems I might have had. Not that the episode was bad or anything, it was quite good, it was just a weird experience for me watching it while incorrectly assuming something the whole time.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

bbf2 posted:

God, during the middle of the episode I was SO sure that we were leading to a reveal of "Oliver has actually been under some sort of subtle mind control by Merlyn" wherein Merlyn has been giving him a more subtle version of the mind control chemicals he used on Thea and giving him the subliminal message "protect Malcolm Merlyn at all costs" or something like that. I really, really, thought we were heading that way, especially with the repetition earlier in the episode about him using the mind control drugs on her and a breakdown of how they work blah blah blah. About 15 minutes into the show something clicked in me where I was like "OH! Obviously Malcolm has been giving Oliver mind control drugs telling him to protect Malcolm and do whatever justification necessary. Duh. It's so obvious now"

I thought Oliver's justifications for what he was doing saving Malcolm were intentionally BS, and whenever he explained why he wanted to help Malcolm after Thea turned him in he kind of stared forward with dead eyes, and then I ESPECIALLY thought that Diggle's "...are you sure that's the whole reason?" was even more explicit confirmation. I was so sure of it that I was actually kinda like "Eh, you're telegraphing your twist a little too much at this point."

And then...that wasn't the case at all? I don't want to give them credit for subverting my expectations since apparently I'm crazy and was the only one who seemed to think that was what was being implied. But in retrospect it's way better to do it the way they did. Even if I don't totally buy Oliver's motivations I think they did a pretty good job explaining them, and it's way less problematic than introducing some sort of slippery slope of subtle mind control/hypnosis which could open up a whole world of Smallville-esque craziness. And of course the twist at the end of Ra's wanting Oliver to replace him was awesome and totally redeemed any problems I might have had. Not that the episode was bad or anything, it was quite good, it was just a weird experience for me watching it while incorrectly assuming something the whole time.

Nah, that definitely occurred to me too for the same reasons you mentioned, and I agree it wouldn't have been the best direction to go and what they did was better.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

That idea did cross my mind when Dig kept hitting the "there's something else..." key. Seemed like maybe they could brush off a lot of Oliver's more brash behavior and instance on protecting/working with Malcolm as subtle mind control. But in the end I think it would have been way more cartoony and silly than simply saying "Oliver is messed up and has PTSD because someone shoved a sword through his gut and threw him off a mountain."

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

bbf2 posted:

You're not the only one. The subtle mind control angle had occurred to me as well.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

greatn posted:

So new power rankings as evidenced by last two episodes: Ras > Oliver > Nyssa > Slade = Merlyn > Dig > Generic Ninja Mook > Thea = Roy > Laurel > Most street toughs and criminals > Wildcat cause he's dead now

Also Felicity's vagina has restorative and inspirational properties, so she needs to get with the Flash so he can run faster and beat reverse flash.

Just for arguments sake, Agent May and Agent Ward could beat all of these but Ras in hand to hand combat, and they wouldn't even beat him working together.

I'd stick Thea between Dig and Generic Ninja Mook. She's certainly better than Roy.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

bull3964 posted:

I completely forgot that we already saw flashbacks of him first meeting Ras. Without those flashbacks, that conversation would heavily imply that the magician he was talking about was Merlyn himself. But since we did get those flashbacks, I was wrong.

Except that's NYSSA meeting Merlyn in the flashback. Ras is probably going on about Houdini or Houdini's mentor and the introduction to his daughter and her first impression of that introduction probably helped inspire the name 'The Magician'. You have to think that winning over Ras' daughter probably kept Malcolm alive long enough to even consider training him...

Spergatory posted:

So far, the overarching theme of the season seems to be Oliver underestimating everyone. He consistently shows a lack of faith in the people around him and their ability to do... well, anything. Handle the truth, fight crime, protect the city, kill him, etc. He doesn't seem to think anyone can do anything without him. Every time he hands over a long-kept secret or actually trusts the people around him, he is rewarded by then proving to be better than he thought. Everyone around him is better than he thinks they are at everything. Basically I'm hoping this season ends with Ollie being at least less bad at judging character.

The thing about the season is that they've shifted the tone away from everybody rightfully questioning Oliver's flawed judgement and elevating them to equals in his crusade. I suspect that while they're partially right about all the Thea/Merlyn issues, the team as a whole is going to be taking a swift kick to the moral gonads by the end of the season. Something tells me that if this show is really, at its core, a reconfiguration of the Batman mythos' ideas about heroism and vigilantism, then all this sunshine is due to be rained on. Oliver may be a PTSD riddled protagonist but doing things the hard way has kind of been the necessity of his past journey, so when he falls back to 'cutting through to the problem in the most messy means possible' mode there have historically been a reason [or reasons] why it was necessary to do so. The problem is that the entanglement between The Queens & Merlyn is so personal and hypocritical that its really easy to lose sight of when Oliver is looking at the Big Picture as he sees it justifiably or if he's being as short sighted as everyone else who hasn't seen his experiences the way the audience has.

Which is why I've continued to contend that Ray Palmer's journey into heroic-ism is going to end in the tragedy that leads to his classic power set. Ray has the money and the tech and a growing support system almost a few bodies short of Team Arrow. When this is put into motion without Oliver's methods - or rather, the willingness to do the hardest thing imaginable w/out of the sacrifice of idealism - Ray may become a well meaning but tragic footnote against Arrow's backdrop and a moral lesson for Team Arrow. The show is letting us see that it will take more than add a Billionaire w/ a kind of sad back story, unlimited time/ resources and a appetite for being a daredevil to just SAVE THIS CITY. My gut feeling is that Ray is going to end up as a cautionary tale, diminished but not dead.

Hollismason posted:

The most boring thing the show could do is have Oliver reject Ra's offer. Instead I see this playing out similar to the Daredevil Shadowland epic that was pretty interesting. It'd just be better if he accepted. We've already seen the reject the League thing, let's see something different, unfortunately the show seems to be wanting to take the boring option.

It'd be better if Oliver was like sure I'll be Ra's , Okay no more killing and I'm going to use the League for good and watch that be a complete loving failure on his part.

See, I like this option as well but it seems like a story line that would require more time that what is left at this stage of the season. It's at least the 1st half of a season. If they have the balls to try to pull it off, then it's the best decision this show made since having Oliver fail his city to close out the end of the first season [which was an incredibly ballsy move and doesn't get enough love].

The other problem is - and maybe I'm mis-remembering the Daredevil Shadowland story line because crossovers and lovely late shipping of issues [like, 3 months behind schedule] really torpedoed the awesomeness of that concept, but I'm not sure if there's a compelling way to evolve past that concept of Oliver running the Evil Organization in a way that doesn't feel like total poo poo.

Bruceski posted:

You can't become a superhero without breaking Gwen Stacy's neck.

This is either an awesome potential thread title of the greatest unused nerd tattoo ever.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

The Lord Bude posted:

I'd stick Thea between Dig and Generic Ninja Mook. She's certainly better than Roy.

DJ Douchebag

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Proposition Joe posted:

It's the year 2025 and the CW's schedule is almost entirely composed of DC comic book based programming. Suicide Squad is canceled and is undergoing a planned reboot after a disastrous season long villain arc involving Crazy Quilt. Thursday's programing involves four different versions of The Flash airing that all take place in alternate timelines. Supernatural enters its 20th season.

I'm down for this.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Just caught up last night. It's awesome that they're going full Batman with this storyline. But unlike Batman, Oliver can kill when he feels it's necessary, and the League isn't the completely evil, city-destroying force it was in the Nolan movies. Oliver should totally join up. But then Dig will be all, "You can't be my best man anymore!"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Professor Wayne posted:

Just caught up last night. It's awesome that they're going full Batman with this storyline. But unlike Batman, Oliver can kill when he feels it's necessary, and the League isn't the completely evil, city-destroying force it was in the Nolan movies. Oliver should totally join up. But then Dig will be all, "You can't be my best man anymore!"

I mean, it is canon

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

To honor my friend's memory, I can't be the killer I once was. I must be someone else. I must be something else. I am the Demon's Head, leader of the League of Assassins.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

jscolon2.0 posted:

To honor my friend's memory, I can't be the killer I once was. I must be someone else. I must be something else. I am the Demon's Head, leader of the League of Assassins.

Everytime I hear the opener to Flash and he says "one day I will find..." I mentally insert "Hopkin green frog".

Kadath
Aug 17, 2004

Put Your 'Lectric Eye On Me, Babe
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

Everytime I hear the opener to Flash and he says "one day I will find..." I mentally insert "Hopkin green frog".

EVERY TIME

edit: Love, Barry

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

I like Laurel, okay?! She's plucky and endearing :mad:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Chokes McGee posted:

I like Laurel, okay?! She's plucky and endearing :mad:

So are Roy and Thea

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

BreakAtmo posted:

a: We've just been spoiled about Sara being revived with a Lazarus Pit (maybe Sara showing up alive will be how Lazarus Pits are properly introduced?)

Man, we are going to be so confused when she comes out of that pit and she's Peter Capaldi.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Guess it fits here

Dean Cain and Helen Slater are joining the cast of Supergirl

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
loving yes, Dean Cain!

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
ALL THE SUPERMEN!!!

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

OHHH poo poo!

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Apparently if you starred in a 90s DC TV show, Warner Bros makes sure you're set for life.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

It's a cheap and easy way to bring in fans.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I'm still hoping the CW will give Christopher Chance another lease on life, even if only as a cameo. The first season of Human Target was great, and certainly didn't deserve what it got with season two.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

What a strange way of spelling Teri Hatcher.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Teri Hatcher thinks way too highly of herself to ever be on a CW show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

GreenNight posted:

Teri Hatcher thinks way too highly of herself to ever be on a CW show.

She did Smallville.

• Locked thread