Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Authentic You posted:

This is an eloquent, fleshed-out reflection of my exact thoughts on the state of architecture these days, especially the aspects of these sorts of buildings being put up with utter lack of regard or respect for context or working harmoniously with the existing environment.

I just read this kickass book called How Buildings Learn that is an architect in the mid 1990's going over everything that happens to buildings after they are built, which kinds of buildings tend to last through the ages and become loved, and how much most modern architecture sucks when looked at from the perspective of "Can this adapt and grow to different uses over time?" Really good and engaging read with many pictures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
I understand why some people dislike this but I love it

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

... you're just creepy ...

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

do Parisians still actually bitch about the Eiffel Tower?

in classic fashion, Parisians bitched when it didn't immediately come down after the world fair, yet when they tried to legit take it down decades later parisians insisted it was an integral part of the city culture and it would be a crime to take it down. this also happened with the glass pyramid entrance to the louvre.

basically if it's change, parisians hate it

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Chinatown posted:

"Goons don't like Brutalism: The Thread."

Brutalism f*cking owns idiots.

Brutalism is a sometimes aesthetic.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

Libelous Slander posted:

basically if it's change, parisians hate it

do you think Parisians would oppose tearing down tour montparnasse?

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

netally posted:

semi-brutalist.

Mmmm yes, a little bit of concrete. Is that lady who injected cement into her rear end a brutalist structure too?

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

Grim Up North posted:

do you think Parisians would oppose tearing down tour montparnasse?

i'm not sure it's old enough. i think they were looking at taking the eiffel down in the 70s but ended up making extremely costly repairs and rennovations instead due to public backlash. that building basically being built in 1970 probably needs another 40 years before it's too old to fail

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
There were people protesting in boats around the Statue of Liberty back when it was put up in whatever tickety two. People just hating on Eifel I guess.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Total Meatlove posted:

Lol that's just ridiculous enough to catch the eye

E: what and where?

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Darth123123 posted:

Lol that's just ridiculous enough to catch the eye

E: what and where?

Antwerp Port Authority building by Zaha Hadid

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

i like that because it's literally
BOAT
HOUSE

and has clear intentions, also shaping it the way a drydock would be shaped makes sense for a port terminal.

that canadian museum with a broken graphics card poo poo bothers me because it just seems like the monkeycheese of architecture

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

it's good except that almost an entire side of the building is being blocked out by that support thing

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Authentic You posted:

Wasn't the Eiffel Tower originally supposed to be a temporary structure for the World's Fair?

Also, the more I read about Frank Gehry, the more I hate him.

"Hmm, what sorts of structures would best complement the stoic, monolithic epicness of the Battersea power station? I know! A pile of flashy, squiggly, flaccid-looking bullshit buildings with trees sticking out of them!"

"The Eisenhower family hates my idiotic design for the Eisenhower Memorial and has withdrawn their support? Well gently caress them."

"So I guess in grafting a ROM-like starchitectural cancer onto the front of the Philadelphia Museum of Art, I'm also ruining the iconic setting of an iconic movie scene that everyone likes to visit? Lol."

That's just The Guardian, too. Gizmodo (I believe) called him the Guy Fieri of architecture and I agree with that assessment.

This is an eloquent, fleshed-out reflection of my exact thoughts on the state of architecture these days, especially the aspects of these sorts of buildings being put up with utter lack of regard or respect for context or working harmoniously with the existing environment.

How does he keep getting work? He's a loving hack. Is it just that pretentious morons think they're supposed to like his work and so claim to do so and order new terrible designs?

DemonDarkhorse
Nov 5, 2011

It's probably not tobacco. You just need to start wiping front-to-back from now on.

Three Olives posted:

I've heard numerous, numerous people say they like it but god this thing is a turd:

While looking for the Star Wars Jawa Sandcrawler to compare this to, I found this instead:

And while not ugly or a failure, once Lord of the Rings came out we started calling this Orthanc.

Authentic You
Mar 4, 2007

Listen now this is your
captain calling:
Your captain is dead.

Grim Up North posted:

I think the Zaha Hadid's Sky Soho, the first image in the article, looks mighty fine, and "works harmoniously with the existing environment" (soulless office buildings).

Well, it certainly works better than the other Zaha Hadid thing the article talked about, and is not hideous and terrible like the crystal shard sticking out of the ROM. I'm not really a fan of Zaha Hadid's style at all, though - most of it looks like sets for music videos from the late 90's or giant versions of over-designed consumer electronics to me. I'd take Disney Concert Hall (which I actually think is pretty cool and well-placed, despite my general dislike of Frank Gehry and how expensive and ridiculous the construction process for his buildings are) over Hadid's vagina spaceships any day.

Not all zany starchitect buildings are automatically bad and out of place, but so many of them are.

Benagain posted:

I just read this kickass book called How Buildings Learn that is an architect in the mid 1990's going over everything that happens to buildings after they are built, which kinds of buildings tend to last through the ages and become loved, and how much most modern architecture sucks when looked at from the perspective of "Can this adapt and grow to different uses over time?" Really good and engaging read with many pictures.

That does sound fascinating. I'll definitely have to check it out.

I went to school for industrial design, another field where we care a lot about timeless aesthetics and long-term functionality, and while I was there, they were building a new computer science building which was allegedly inspired by a loving Rubik's cube and bore no resemblance whatsoever to the rest of the campus aesthetic. It was this boxy trendy sort of style and was supposed to be all awesome and cool. We spent a whole class bitching up a storm with our professor one time about how shortsighted the design was and how it would look stupid and be dated ten years down the line while the original Beaux-Arts buildings would still look just as good and remain just as functional. I later ended up working in the new building once it was finished, and holy gently caress it was idiotic - shoddy workmanship (started leaking two years in), plumbing schematics made no sense (sucked for the plumbers trying to fix the drat leaks), interior layout loving sucked and wasted/squandered tons of space, landscaping was poorly designed (giant mudslide!), the materials are all aging poorly and quickly, and the much-hyped green roof quickly turned into a giant mound of five-foot weeds due to being inconvenient to access. The thing is six years old.

Our token brutalist building, on the other hand? Hulking, ugly, rock solid, and brutally sensible and usable. I have a grudging respect for it, unlike the aforementioned new building, because ugly as it may be, it will no doubt remain useful and in good shape for a long time. And it's where everyone will hide when the apocalypse happens.

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.
Rotate the Antwerp Port Authority by 30 degrees and give it a crazy color scheme and it's monkeycheese architecture. Maybe it's just fatigue from seeing much worse in this thread but I think it looks cool while adding usable space.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Authentic You posted:

the much-hyped green roof quickly turned into a giant mound of five-foot weeds due to being inconvenient to access. The thing is six years old.

That part sounds pretty good, IMO. A green roof that requires no maintenance and is full of local plants

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
There's a few gems at my unversity, I'll have to take pictures next time I'm there.

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

Chinatown posted:

"Goons don't like Brutalism: The Thread."

Brutalism f*cking owns idiots.

Another correct opinion from Chinatown.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Chinatown posted:

"Goons Bitching About How Goons Don't Like Brutalism: The Thread."

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

ReidRansom posted:

How does he keep getting work? He's a loving hack. Is it just that pretentious morons think they're supposed to like his work and so claim to do so and order new terrible designs?
Architecture is an art, so yes.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

The Twinkie Czar posted:

Look at this structure that "flagrantly disregard their settings, reducing architecture to mere superfluous spectacle, over-exaggerated and detached from reality". And after looking at the Eiffel Tower, check out Frank Gehry’s Fondation Louis Vuitton.

They actually point put the Eiffel tower as another case of sculpture that happens to accommodate some practical use. Which is fair - it's a monument more than a useful building.

edit: Found it.

quote:

Yet in time, and especially with the benefit of an inspired curatorial agenda, the Fondation promises to become a treasured part of Paris − like the Eiffel Tower. But like the latter, is it really architecture or, like the Bilbao Guggenheim, a species of usable sculpture? Architecture, once the encompassing mother of the arts, completed by sculpture and painting, and carrier of cultural significance and meaning, has become reduced to superfluous spectacle.

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Feb 28, 2015

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Authentic You posted:

Well, it certainly works better than the other Zaha Hadid thing the article talked about, and is not hideous and terrible like the crystal shard sticking out of the ROM. I'm not really a fan of Zaha Hadid's style at all, though - most of it looks like sets for music videos from the late 90's or giant versions of over-designed consumer electronics to me. I'd take Disney Concert Hall (which I actually think is pretty cool and well-placed, despite my general dislike of Frank Gehry and how expensive and ridiculous the construction process for his buildings are) over Hadid's vagina spaceships any day.

Not all zany starchitect buildings are automatically bad and out of place, but so many of them are.

That does sound fascinating. I'll definitely have to check it out.

I went to school for industrial design, another field where we care a lot about timeless aesthetics and long-term functionality, and while I was there, they were building a new computer science building which was allegedly inspired by a loving Rubik's cube and bore no resemblance whatsoever to the rest of the campus aesthetic. It was this boxy trendy sort of style and was supposed to be all awesome and cool. We spent a whole class bitching up a storm with our professor one time about how shortsighted the design was and how it would look stupid and be dated ten years down the line while the original Beaux-Arts buildings would still look just as good and remain just as functional. I later ended up working in the new building once it was finished, and holy gently caress it was idiotic - shoddy workmanship (started leaking two years in), plumbing schematics made no sense (sucked for the plumbers trying to fix the drat leaks), interior layout loving sucked and wasted/squandered tons of space, landscaping was poorly designed (giant mudslide!), the materials are all aging poorly and quickly, and the much-hyped green roof quickly turned into a giant mound of five-foot weeds due to being inconvenient to access. The thing is six years old.

Our token brutalist building, on the other hand? Hulking, ugly, rock solid, and brutally sensible and usable. I have a grudging respect for it, unlike the aforementioned new building, because ugly as it may be, it will no doubt remain useful and in good shape for a long time. And it's where everyone will hide when the apocalypse happens.

I read all of this. So the building is pretty y/n

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

ReidRansom posted:

yes

it's fine if it's an overpriced sculpture/painting that takes up a few square meters at most, but people have to actually work and/or live in star architect turds

i mean buildings don't have to be beep boop efficient concrete blocks but form shouldn't interfere with function

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

SaltLick posted:

World's largest bonfire has plans that are orally passed down and at best written on a napkin and completely run by college students? What could possibly go wrong?

whoops

Was pretty baller to see when it was around though

Man, I remember getting sent out to the hall in middle school because I made an "aggies" joke when that happened. I don't even like football, I just thought being from austin I should make fun of those dumb hicks, ya know. Plus getting to miss class isn't a punishment in middle school.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
The Mongolian Government Palace manages to look interesting both before and after it's 2005 renovation.

Bonus Chinese and North Korea Government buildings.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Can someone post the ideal government federal building? Tia

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

*faaart*

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Total Meatlove posted:

All I can see is

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

Darth123123 posted:

Can someone post the ideal government federal building? Tia

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni

Darth123123 posted:

YLLS fashionistas.

Do tell :allears:

Authentic You posted:

Wasn't the Eiffel Tower originally supposed to be a temporary structure for the World's Fair?

Also, the more I read about Frank Gehry, the more I hate him.

"Hmm, what sorts of structures would best complement the stoic, monolithic epicness of the Battersea power station? I know! A pile of flashy, squiggly, flaccid-looking bullshit buildings with trees sticking out of them!"

"The Eisenhower family hates my idiotic design for the Eisenhower Memorial and has withdrawn their support? Well gently caress them."

"So I guess in grafting a ROM-like starchitectural cancer onto the front of the Philadelphia Museum of Art, I'm also ruining the iconic setting of an iconic movie scene that everyone likes to visit? Lol."

That's just The Guardian, too. Gizmodo (I believe) called him the Guy Fieri of architecture and I agree with that assessment.

The Eisenhower Memorial is pretty reprehensible, but those condo buildings are some of the least offensive things he's ever done. I have a love/hate thing for his work, and starchitecture n general.

I think there is a very important place for people to explore new frontiers in design, but feel passionately that it a disservice to your clients if your ridiculous forms are so unconventional to construct that they are not watertight or have atrocious energy performance. This problem is perpetuated by the trend-based cycles of the architectural world where the shock of the new is important, schedules are short and there typically is an adversarial relationship with the general contractors building their projects.

The industry is also becoming increasingly specialized and large building projects require huge consultant teams to process thousands of drawings to be read by multitudes of project engineers and subcontractors. Mistakes inevitably happen and costs can seriously escalate and end up radically changing a project, even when good people do great work.

Sometimes though incredible buildings can be catalysts that revitalize an area, leading to more investment that can transform the entire city into something better than it was. But sometimes it doesn't. There are constellations of people and pressures that ultimately shape these things, and the results are hard to predict.

Tldr: :effort:

Anza Borrego fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Feb 28, 2015

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Bavarian state chancellery:

The two wings of the building were destroyed during WWII and then rebuilt in a modern style. The building was the Bavarian army museum originally.

The statue in front of it is part of the Bavarian Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.

Lucy Heartfilia fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Feb 28, 2015

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

DemonDarkhorse posted:

While looking for the Star Wars Jawa Sandcrawler to compare this to, I found this instead:

instead?

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

The two wings of the building were destroyed during WWII and then rebuilt in a modern style. The building was the Bavarian army museum originally.

Reminds me of the Palmenhaus ("palm tree house") in Vienna.

Ok maybe not really but I'd like to think the chancellery is filled with palm trees, weird flowers, and butterflies.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

There's a new Guggenheim museum under planning in Helsinki, and here are the design competition finalists:

THE CORRUGATED CARBOARD HOUSE

THE INKY-BLACK MONOLITH FROM OUTER SPACE

THE ICE CUBE

THE... what the hell is going on here? Seriously?

THE LIGHTHOUSE AND, ARE THOSE SUPPOSED TO RESEMBLE SAILS OR SOMETHING?

THE BRICK BEEHIVE

I'm personally kinda partial towards the black spaceship from a Moebius cartoon, the rest just make me mad that I eventually might have to look at them every goddamn time I pass by. (Except for the abstract conceptionalist one - is it supposed to be some weird theoretical treatise on use of communal space?)

snuggle baby luvs hugs
Aug 30, 2005
I like the ice cube

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Love heals all wounds. We hope you continually carry love in your heart. Today and always, may loving memories bring you peace, comfort, and strength. We sympathize with the family of (Name). We shall never forget you in our prayers and thoughts. I am at a loss for words during this sorrowful time.

0haiThere posted:

Maybe old Greek/Roman buildings were originally painted, but their colors faded over the years. Like how they used to paint their statues.

Actually, that could be a cool idea for a photoshop thread. "Paint the brutalist building".

Those colors are the base coats and primers. That would be like saying all canvas paintings would look like Gesso.

We have no clue what they really looked like, but I'd bet '100% realistic'.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

i actually liked this one when i saw it irl, but i was definitely a little surprised to walk under a park and see a dead nazi statue in it

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

QUEEN CAUCUS posted:

From OCAD in Toronto here is this ugly piece of poo poo

still funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

akasnowmaaan posted:

Those colors are the base coats and primers. That would be like saying all canvas paintings would look like Gesso.

We have no clue what they really looked like, but I'd bet '100% realistic'.

Yeah, he probably at least went over the whole thing with Nuln Oil

• Locked thread