Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

jonathan posted:

What are people's experience ordering from rockauto into Canada ? Some searches say brokerage and shipping etc are all included in the price. I need some u-joints, ball joints etc.

Just talking to some guys in Medicine Hat yesterday about Rock Auto. They swear by it and don't have to pay anything extra. They even had to return stuff and before and they prepaid it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

1500quidporsche posted:

Auto value is all kinds of useless, and I question how they're still in business.
They're crazy cheap for certain stuff (radiators come to mind) and the guys at the Hubalta store know their poo poo (32nd is good too but it's so tiny they don't often have my poo poo in stock) and the return policy is nearly as forgiving as Pick-n-Pull's.
And now that Parts Unlimited is gone (ok they're still there as WSI or w/e, but most if not all of the old crew quit) Mundy's B2B is basically the only other game in town (unless you're a fan of Napa, I'm not crazy about them except the Airdrie store).
I mean I've been using Rock for goddamn years and they're my #1 go-to, but if I need something RFN Auto Value is always my first stop.

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Feb 21, 2015

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
autopartsway.ca sometimes has some parts that are worth the price but their website is a mess. One of the best parts of Rockauto is that incredibly spartan and solid drill down menu system for finding parts.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Tommychu posted:

They're crazy cheap for certain stuff (radiators come to mind) and the guys at the Hubalta store know their poo poo (32nd is good too but it's so tiny they don't often have my poo poo in stock) and the return policy is nearly as forgiving as Pick-n-Pull's.
And now that Parts Unlimited is gone (ok they're still there as WSI or w/e, but most if not all of the old crew quit) Mundy's B2B is basically the only other game in town (unless you're a fan of Napa, I'm not crazy about them except the Airdrie store).
I mean I've been using Rock for goddamn years and they're my #1 go-to, but if I need something RFN Auto Value is always my first stop.

I do remember their radiators being ridiculously cheap, but there's been a couple of things like fuel injectors where they wanted obscene prices and Napa was way more reasonable. For whatever reason the Napa on 58th ave stocks a comical amount of VW Mk1 poo poo, and 90% of the time you pull something out of the Napa box it either says Bosch or VW-Audi on it, they must've bought up all the old stock or something.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

8ender posted:

autopartsway.ca sometimes has some parts that are worth the price but their website is a mess. One of the best parts of Rockauto is that incredibly spartan and solid drill down menu system for finding parts.

Autopartsway sucks, no two ways about it. Their customer service is terrible and they are often way overpriced. For example, the parts I need for my brake job (one of the three maintenance tasks I have planned) would cost more than $800 + shipping from them. The exact same parts from Pelican will cost me $550 ($440 US) including shipping, plus whatever duty and brokerage is incurred (which won't be that bad because they're like literally the only parts warehouse that I know of that gives you the option of shipping by USPS/Canada Post).

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I wish we had reasonable OEM parts suppliers in Canada. When we bought our new Legacy I got stuff sent up to Sweetgrass from a Colorado Subaru dealer for, no joke, 75% cheaper than the exact same OEM items as the Canadian dealer even after taking into account exchange and Montana shipping fees.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
SubaruGenuineParts gives you parts for good prices. They hose you on shipping, but at least it's because they're buying flat rate USPS boxes so their shipping cost is predictable if you can guess how heavy/big the stuff you're ordering is.

You can't even get that with the Mazda guys, who just seem to assume Canadians are rich and can afford $33+ shipping costs for $5.36 in parts. The Mazda online parts ordering racket is so bad that all my rotary enthusiast friends tell me to just go to the dealer and put up with their incompetent bullshit (never answering emails or phone calls and telling me they also can't process walk-ins because their computer is broken).

I feel like even setting up a corporate FedEx account for personal use may be justifiable at this point.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Feb 21, 2015

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

1500quidporsche posted:

I do remember their radiators being ridiculously cheap, but there's been a couple of things like fuel injectors where they wanted obscene prices and Napa was way more reasonable. For whatever reason the Napa on 58th ave stocks a comical amount of VW Mk1 poo poo, and 90% of the time you pull something out of the Napa box it either says Bosch or VW-Audi on it, they must've bought up all the old stock or something.

Napa can be strange like that. The Ingersoll Ontario Napa had everything I needed for my 1993 BMW in stock every time I visited. Even somewhat obscure stuff like coils and a rear spring. It was bizarre.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I wonder if the dollar will ever crawl back up to near parity again. Just as soon as I started looking at American cars it tanks. :v:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Even if it does tomorrow, it'll take another 5 fuckin years for prices to get back near par.

Time to start looking at Europe. Once greece and italy completely poo poo the bed, the euro will hit par, and the mid engine cleo will hit the 15 year exemption.

http://suchen.mobile.de/auto-insera...s=EXPORT&noec=1

mm yes.

The year after that the TVR T350 and Tamora.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

RIP Powershift 1937-2018

He never saw it coming (sliding backward off the road)

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

He died how he lived, scattered across a forest.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I know the later ones are ugly as sin, but I'm always surprised we don't see any Renault Alpines here. They were pretty decent cars and essentially a delorean in drag that had a turbo option.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

jonathan posted:

What are people's experience ordering from rockauto into Canada ? Some searches say brokerage and shipping etc are all included in the price. I need some u-joints, ball joints etc.
I ordered around $250 worth of things for my e36 (RIP) a couple of years ago. No problems that I can recall. If the Canadian side of the trip was handled by UPS it was probably a horrible shitshow that I've suppressed the memory of, but I have a feeling it was FedEx ground, who are lovely people and very professional.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Shockingly relevant study for Calgary on CBC

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/calgary-eats-big-data-meets-big-donair-1.2970610

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Edmonton has donair poutine available. I've contacted the mayor and my councillor many times in order to attempt to close the donair poutine gap.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

AFAIK, we have a single donair place in Lethbridge. Found a corner place in Medicine Hat just this past week with a nice big serving (their large must be freakishly massive) but haven't had a really good donair in years.

What brings up another important question: Tzatziki or that east coast sweet sauce? I prefer Tzatziki with a hefty shot of hot sauce if available.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

There's a canadian brewhouse in calgary that has donair poutine. They also have both the sweet and tzatziki sauce.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I was at our local autocross club's big year-ender regionals a couple of years ago and our local Porshe-driving successful businessman / racer had a hankering for donairs. For some reason, this wealthy Type-A person felt insecure just driving by himself to his favourite place, so I agreed to go with him.

You do NOT want to spill " Tzatziki with a hefty shot of hot sauce" anywhere on the interior of a $140K 997 GT2; this is made more difficult by the driver's baffling habit of being chronically late despite always having somewhere north of 500 hp to work with.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

What the gently caress, Jimmy's has pickles. I ate at the downtown location on Monday.

They also have, literally, the best sauce in the city.

Study is garbage printed on toilet paper. :colbert:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

As a native Haligonian, I'm appalled by other so-called 'donairs'. :colbert:

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Haven't had a donair in years. Now I want one. So much for bringing in my own lunches this week.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
A donair and a gyro are the same thing, right? In Missoula we have a ton of greek gyro places, and I get one on pretty much a weekly basis. I always think about trying that donair place in Lethbridge but it doesn't look very good.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

jamal posted:

A donair and a gyro are the same thing, right? In Missoula we have a ton of greek gyro places, and I get one on pretty much a weekly basis. I always think about trying that donair place in Lethbridge but it doesn't look very good.

Similar but not the same. In my experience the meat in a gyro isn't the same spices, and donairs require a proper donair sauce.

They're like cousins, except the donair is the hot cousin, and the gyro is the ugly one who tries and tries to be the hot one but never quite succeeds.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

jamal posted:

Assuming you're thinking of the one I"m thinking of on McGrath in that dumpy stripmall next to the 2 Vietnamese restaurants, that's Sams and it's OK. Not great, but OK.

Their burgers are decent enough though. Frozen patties but he does a good job.

Dude is stereotypical though, slick backed hair, perpetually knocked up wife and photos of 80s Italian cars on the walls. He has the same Countach photo on the wall of his restaurant that I had in my bedroom as a 13 year old.

ExecuDork posted:

You do NOT want to spill " Tzatziki with a hefty shot of hot sauce" anywhere on the interior of a $140K 997 GT2; this is made more difficult by the driver's baffling habit of being chronically late despite always having somewhere north of 500 hp to work with.

Haha. No you wouldn't.

Also needs onion. Needs about a 6 pounds of raw onions. :colbert:

Not a fan of tomato on it though.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Feb 25, 2015

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Anybody know a place in calgary that will corner weight a car? I inadvertently ordered springs from guys that seem to know what they're doing.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Babylon Qithara in Sunridge is the best.
Uncle Moe's on Edmonton Trail is also worth mentioning because they're so drat fast. I've never spent more than 3 minutes in that place.
I've been making my own a lot lately too, since an old roommate left a ~30lb spit of the stuff behind when he moved out.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
Best donair/gyro's in the world are in Berlin. Absolutely unbeatable street vendors. They don't do the gross meatloaf on a stick either: it's all proper stacked cuts of meat grilled together with the drippings collected and brushed back on for full flava

I've never found a place in Canada that does the meat right

And yes, a full handful of fresh onion and generous servings of donair sauce are crucial.

When I was going to the u of a, I used to crush a Wildcat from Mike's Famous almost every week. That was a good time in my life. :allears: even though the meat wasn't "right", double meat double cheese always goes down right

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

DrakeriderCa posted:

Best donair/gyro's in the world are in Berlin. Absolutely unbeatable street vendors. They don't do the gross meatloaf on a stick either: it's all proper stacked cuts of meat grilled together with the drippings collected and brushed back on for full flava

And yes, a full handful of fresh onion and generous servings of donair sauce are crucial.

When I was going to the u of a, I used to crush a Wildcat from Mike's Famous almost every week. That was a good time in my life. :allears: even though the meat wasn't "right", double meat double cheese always goes down right

This man speaks the truth - the "Turkish" Döner Buden in Germany are the best. I fear for my waistline when I go back. [Döner macht schöner - after all.]

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

DrakeriderCa posted:

Barakas in Winnipeg is outstanding. Best place to get donair, falafel, shawarma, or kebab. It's phenomenal, and their garlic sauce is to die for. I assure you, they do it the proper traditional way.

The lamb kabob is a symphony of flavors, one of my favorites from there. Seriously, if any goon is visiting this frozen hellhole, stop by barakas for some amazing food, it's worth it.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

DrakeriderCa posted:

Best donair/gyro's in the world are in Berlin.
The best gyro I've had on this continent is Lonsdale Quay and the old greek guy (He was old in 1998 when I lived there... and is still there last time I checked) and would parrot each order as he threw it on the grill.

LAMB!!!!!.... BEEF!!!! .....CHICKEN!!!! with a huge lineup of people waiting as it came off.

God, that's one of the few things I miss of that place.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Feb 27, 2015

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Bajaha posted:

Barakas in Winnipeg is outstanding. Best place to get donair, falafel, shawarma, or kebab. It's phenomenal, and their garlic sauce is to die for. I assure you, they do it the proper traditional way.

The lamb kabob is a symphony of flavors, one of my favorites from there. Seriously, if any goon is visiting this frozen hellhole, stop by barakas for some amazing food, it's worth it.

:argh: NOW you tell me! I was in Winterpeg last week, I'd have gone to Barakas if I'd had any idea.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
In other news that fuckin wide body Fiat X-1/9 is still on kijiji someone go light it on fire so I stop thinking about it.

Don't buy it and build a sick ride though - the jealousy would kill me

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
On the way to Lethbridge, anything exciting going on this weekend?

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
There's always a party in slidebite's pants

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

DrakeriderCa posted:

In other news that fuckin wide body Fiat X-1/9 is still on kijiji someone go light it on fire so I stop thinking about it.

Don't buy it and build a sick ride though - the jealousy would kill me

I've got the same thing with that Lancia Beta up in edmonton. Its $4,000 though and I just need the price to come down a bit.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
Lancia just wrecks my poo poo every time

I'd kill for a Scorpion or a reasonable Beta

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

1500quidporsche posted:

I've got the same thing with that Lancia Beta up in edmonton. Its $4,000 though and I just need the price to come down a bit.

I am almost certain that guy posted somewhere (Jalopnik?) about getting it for under a grand. Maybe there's some room for negotiation. At the very least he should know people are interested.

I wonder how sophisticated the harness is and if you can just rewire it with several hours and a trip to the junkyard to strip down a Camry.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

jamal posted:

On the way to Lethbridge, anything exciting going on this weekend?
Nope, nothing at all that I know of this weekend. A couple weeks ago there was a big auto swap meet where it's pretty much just a bunch of people cleaning out their garages, putting it on a table and grotesquely overpricing it.

DrakeriderCa posted:

There's always a party in slidebite's pants
Thats just for you baby :bigtran:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I am almost certain that guy posted somewhere (Jalopnik?) about getting it for under a grand. Maybe there's some room for negotiation. At the very least he should know people are interested.

I wonder how sophisticated the harness is and if you can just rewire it with several hours and a trip to the junkyard to strip down a Camry.

It couldn't be any worse then jetronic wiring, which I still have nightmares about. Its in incredible shape for its age and I really want to justify being able to buy it but the reality is it would just be an overweight underpowered alternative to my Scirocco. I think the US specs were something like 2,800lbs and 85hp.