Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
The loving cord won't act up so I can replace it :argh: I have the new one still in its packaging right next to the computer to swap them at a moments' notice and nope, it's been smooth sailing all day. Goddammit, computer, if you're going to break, at least be consistent about it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Zephirus posted:

poo poo that was irritating today, Vendor panicked and sent over an order of tapes, at 4pm, on a Friday, without telling anyone.
:stare: How much data do you back up daily?

Alternatively, how many aeons are your retention periods?

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

canis minor posted:

a colleague of mine did that when the boss told him that he didn't like the choice of font used, when creating some kind of report.

Comic Sans was the next step, and next one was Edwardian Script ITC. Afterwards Arial was met with relief.

I would have done this...

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

ConfusedUs posted:

Pissing me off: departments that don't use our established Support processes.

I've had four different, very basic customer issues completely skip our entire support organization to be dumped in engineering's lap in the last few days.

This causes a mad scramble as engineering drops everything because when a case gets up to them, it's A Big loving Deal. It delays feature work and causes crunch time for our engineers. It's expensive and, frankly, takes longer than if it just went through Support in the first place.

We have a two hundred and fifty person call center full of people whose entire job is to figure out what they can fix and what needs to be escalated. Two hundred and fifty people across three tiers of support who could have fixed any of these problems in 10 minutes.

Instead, we have engineering stop everything they're doing, flurries of emails that include five goddamned departments and 30 people, and VPs breathing down my neck about this stuff when the issue is, basically, a non-issue at all.

Great example: customer had one of his upload jobs fail. Diagnosis: customer rebooted the system in the middle of the upload

Nothing we could have done to prevent that, and it could have been diagnosed in 10 minutes by support.
Not that this is the case where you work, but the other side of this is being used to tier1 support = garbage. So many vendors have tier1 people that are so fresh on the job they are unfamiliar with the systems involved. And/Or they do not document poo poo so new people are helpless when helping customers with issues a senior support person says "oh yeah we've seen this before x=1 not 2".

Zephirus
May 18, 2004

BRRRR......CHK

Collateral Damage posted:

:stare: How much data do you back up daily?

Alternatively, how many aeons are your retention periods?

Forever. It's for online media storage - telly programmes and the like. We're burning thought a couple of tapes every day or so. Those tapes will just live in the library and expand the storage pool.

AskYourself
May 23, 2005
Donut is for Homer as Asking yourself is to ...

Dick Trauma posted:

the HR VP just called to offer me the job I've been chasing.

A little late to the party : Super congrats DT !

I don't post often but I read the 3 threads religiously and I can say that you definitely are worth every single penny of the salary and every single letter of the title of the job you just landed !

yaaaayyyy

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

dennyk posted:

You can tell us '80s Florida kids because we're the ones with the logo of our moms' cars permanently branded onto our hands from the metal seat belt buckles. :v: That said, I'll take that any day over snow. Water freezing outside all by itself is some kind of unnatural voodoo witchcraft and I don't like it one bit, no sir. :colbert:

When the humidity drops below 50%, my nose starts bleeding and my fingers turn to sandpaper. :( I'm pretty sure if I ever traveled to the Southwest I'd dry up and collapse into a pile of dust as soon as I stepped outside. Even the winters here in Atlanta are too loving cold and dry for me.

I travel from NJ to Orlando every couple of months for work. What I'm saying is I get the worst of both places.

Congrats DT, you deserve it!

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002
Monday morning a email and sms goes out.
Offering overtime. Thu,Friday, Mon,Tue. Graveyard. Alone.

I reply to the email. Offering to.
1. Swap my Thu and Fri days for the nights, at no cost to then, I prefer nights.
2. Work the Mon and Tue overtime.

No reply, no feedback whatever. I get to wednsday rostered off. I sms and ask if I'm working days or nights tomorrow. (sometimes they change rosters and just *expect* that we read work mail at home)

I get a reply. Dayshift.

Thursday morning. I get to work. My managers manager is flitting around questioning us about why there is still work not done from the nigth before....well we have no staff...remember we had three people before your last changes and it was X here alone....btw I just looked at the roster, are you aware that no one is rostered to work tonight, and tomorrow?

90 mins later my manager comes over standing over me wants to talk to me now now now. Im asked to go home and come back in the afternoon, and also work the friday nightshift.

In exchange I get a day of my choice off.
I made damned sure to explain that not much work will be done....the thing is, I slept last night...to work this dayshift...that im here for now.

Crazy.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Che Delilas posted:

Pretty much. What sticks out in my memory the most is just how FAST it happens. The second you step out the door, BAM, flop sweat over every inch of you, and I'm not exaggerating for effect here - it was literally one second. I'd much rather have the occasional aggressive dryness that we get up here in winters, you can put lotion on if you need to.
This is truth. It's really unbelievable. It's like every pore in your body convulsively opens up all at once.

Friends don't let friends live down south.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

dennyk posted:

When the humidity drops below 50%, my nose starts bleeding and my fingers turn to sandpaper. :( I'm pretty sure if I ever traveled to the Southwest I'd dry up and collapse into a pile of dust as soon as I stepped outside. Even the winters here in Atlanta are too loving cold and dry for me.

Get a humidifier, I suppose. I have a Sharp air purifier that also humidifies. Seems to help now, because without it, some points in the day fall to 30% or so relative humidity. Of course, I have to almost constantly fill the water tank (and clean the filters), but hey, it makes for a more pleasant environment.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Mar 1, 2015

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Get your nose cauterized too, it only takes a few minutes at the ENT

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Bob Morales posted:

I really need to go get this done someday. I swear my left nostril's stem cells didn't get the message they weren't meant to menstruate.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

Is this a real thing? We've discussed it at the boxing gym but I don't know anybody who's had it done recently, just old-timers talking about jamming irons up their nostrils.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Yeah, I'm curious now too :psyduck: I'm prone to nosebleeds because of my medications, but it's never been so bad that I thought about paying someone to sear the inside of my nose.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I had bloody noses since I was a kid. Especially in the winter. This winter has been very very cold and the heat at my apartment runs nearly 24/7, and it's very dry. I bought a humidifier for my room, but being at work with the dry heat there as well, it hasn't helped this year at all. I'm talking massive nose bleeds just gushing when i would bend over to tie my shoes or get in the shower. I'd be 20 minutes late for work. Ruining shirts when it'd bleed from my turning my head around too fast.

Always from the right side. Experimenting with cocaine in my 20's basically 'fixed' the left nostril since that was the side I did it on. It's a natural cauterizer!

Anyways, a few weeks back I went to the ENT, he took two seconds too look up my nose and said "woah, I can see exactly where the problem is, there's so much scarring there you've been having problems for a long, long time". He came back with a long matchstick looking thing (it has aluminum oxide or something on it), jammed it in my nose a few times (no heat or electricity which is what I thought they would do). It tickled really bad and made me sneeze and made my eyes water and nose run for a bit. Got some ointment to put on it for a week and now I'm nosebleed-free.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003
Late to the party, as usual.

Congratulations, DT. Now please change that avatar. :cry:

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Crowley posted:

Late to the party, as usual.

Congratulations, DT. Now please change that avatar. :cry:

Why should he change it, the avatar clearly shows that trauma to the dick is clearly over. He is now protecting himself in spiked briefs.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
I can't remember my last nosebleed so obviously that part of winter doesn't bother me. Couple of summers ago I was living in an apartment without terribly good insulation and I spent the entirelty of a 100+ degree summer with my apartment at about 85 with the AC on full. Floors were hot enough to be uncomfortable to walk on. gently caress a lot of that noise. When power goes out in winter I can bundle up and get a blanket and sit with my dog. That summer I was miserable every single day, never felt clean from the sweating, and was still shelling out 100 extra bucks a month trying to cool the place despite knowing it was futility. When it wants to be hot there really isn't anything you can do about it and it sucks.

vibur
Apr 23, 2004

mewse posted:

Is this a real thing? We've discussed it at the boxing gym but I don't know anybody who's had it done recently, just old-timers talking about jamming irons up their nostrils.
Yes, it's a real thing.

The EENT sprays your nose with, what is basically, a higher concentration of one of those nasal sprays you buy at the drugstore. The he/she sticks a scope up your nose to look around. They go all the way back so it feels a little weird when it hits your post-nasal cavity. Once they find the trouble spots, they do one of two things. Either touch it with some silver nitrate (the matchstick) to chemically cauterize it or use a hyfrecator to electrically cauterize it (this is for more problematic trouble spots).

If you bleed after having that done, you can be absolutely sure it's not from the same spot.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.
Being from New Orleans we love to relate to people how getting out of the shower in the summer is futility incarnate because you're already sweating and as you dry off you're never really dry. So enjoy being moist all day.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
I had my nose cauterized with silver nitrate and it is awesome not to have to deal with that anymore. Why yes, I would love to wake up swallowing blood, thanks!

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

MJBuddy posted:

So enjoy being moist all day.

:quagmire:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

poo poo pissing me off: Remote desktop to Windows Server 2012.

I'm regularly working on servers on the other side of the continent and having a mouse pointer that lags noticeably behind my actual mouse movement is pissing me off more than any user ever could. When remoting to 2003 or 2008 the pointer is rendered client side, but on 2012 it's server side.

Is it possible to change it back to client side? Google has been exceptionally unhelpful.

edit: Of course, just after I posted I found the solution. Turn off Mouse Shadow in the mouse settings on the server. Because that isn't obscure at all. :argh:

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Mar 2, 2015

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

totalnewbie posted:

I had my nose cauterized with silver nitrate and it is awesome not to have to deal with that anymore. Why yes, I would love to wake up swallowing blood, thanks!

I like pulling the blood clots out of your throat like

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Bob Morales posted:

I like pulling the blood clots out of your throat like

The charm of that wore off at the end of middle school.

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:

Sirotan posted:

Oh dear, I think my Dell tech is having a bad day:

m.hache posted:

That man/women hates their job.

I kinda wanna know who that was. Not to get them in trouble, but if I happened to know who said that. EDIT On second thought, dont tell me
And yeah, considedring how Client ProSupport runs you through the grinder, I'm not surprised. Think Call Center Help Desk with people across the country contacting you instead of just your company. And yes, metrics must be met. :smithicide:

Anyways: keep getting weird cases. Never before in my life have I seen some devices on the processor being set with the wrong/invalid Vendor ID. And as it turns out that caused the VM Farm host to not recognize the server properly. And of course, the Vendor ID is set at time of manufacturing, so WTF.

Lightning Jim fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Mar 3, 2015

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
This nosebleed stuff is so weird to me. I'd have to do some pretty loving aggressive nose-picking to even think about a nosebleed. I can count the number of times I've had one just pop up on one hand.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Pissing me off: Moving from Google Apps to Office 365 with no clear idea what's happening here. Yay mergers. I can't wait to hand in my notice.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Rhymenoserous posted:

This nosebleed stuff is so weird to me. I'd have to do some pretty loving aggressive nose-picking to even think about a nosebleed. I can count the number of times I've had one just pop up on one hand.

Basically this. My roommate in college got them so bad that he'd go from sitting quietly to completely ruined shirt in seconds, and as a result he never really owned nice shirts since they were ruined on the regular. Poor guy.

The last time I had enough of a nosebleed to even need a single tissue was the result of hitting my face on a rail in the rain and that doesn't really even count. Guess we're lucky.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Rhymenoserous posted:

Yeah I don't think I've had a nosebleed since the early-mid 90s and that includes when my nose (and eye socket) were broken by a softball.

A c E
Jun 18, 2007

Is this weird? Is this too weird? Do you need to sit down?
I've also never had a nose bleed, though I do have a bunch of Silver Nitrate sticks. They are mainly for when I accidentally cut my dogs quicks or when they nick their ears, since those just bleed forever. I've used them on my own minor cuts to stop the bleeding but never would have thought to shove it up someones nose to stop a nose bleed. It is, however, fun to use them to draw on someones skin. It won't show up at first but next day it will be there and won't disappear until you shed that layer of skin! My girlfriend had a frowny face on her palm for 2 weeks or so.

poo poo pissing me off: Excel. gently caress you Excel (specifically 2013). We use it for everything and have so many issues with it. I currently have a user who's reporting that opening/printing Excel documents takes forever (which I've witnessed). Couldn't find any hardware issues, reinstalling Office didn't work, so I re-imaged her machine. Worked fine for 2-3 weeks and now it's back to being poo poo. She's opening small local files, printing to an Oki on the local network and the only one out of 5 other users with the exact same hardware/software with issues. I'm out of ideas and really sick of reinstalling Office for people.

Wouldn't be so bad if she was the only one, but at our other site, I've had 5 other users this month with various Excel/Office issues.

Edit: vvv Thanks. I will try that.

A c E fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Mar 2, 2015

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Uninstall the office file validation add in

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I switched to Open Office/Libreoffice years and haven't looked back once. I remember I managed the transition at the last big place I worked (~150 people) and there was this one clueless jerkwad who just kept argling bargling about it wasn't as good as excel, I can't work any more, this is impacting product, etc. I knew the most complicated things he ever did were VLOOKUPs (because he'd me ask how to do them once a week), so I uninstalled Excel on his machine, installed LibreOffice, and said "Hey new special version of Excel just for you!". I changed the Icon Resource graphic to look like excel on the shortcuts and document types :ssh:

Storm-
Jan 7, 2007

You win some, you lose some... then you lose some more.

I hate computers and everything I touch turns into pure poo poo.

Couple of weeks ago I bought a new case, Fractal R5 (sweet case, btw). Obviously had to move everything from my old Stacker into the new case and, obviously, took every precaution not to gently caress up anything. My SSD is new, got a new GTX970 and everything else is working and runs poo poo fine after 5 years of constant use and seeing how Skylake is somewhat around the corner it would be a kick in the nuts to fry something and have to replace it. Huge waste of money no matter what.

Turning on the PC I was greeted with a black screen after POST. Windows logo wasn't showing up and I was left pretty much devastated thinking I hosed something up big time. After a bit of BIOS fuckery I ended up loading setup defaults, which in turn made my Marvell controller switch from AHCI to IDE. My motherboard is a P7P55-D Pro, which is one of the first to include SATA3 and USB 3.0, so the 2 SATA3 ports are separate from the 6 SATA2 ports. My storage drives work in IDE mode while SSD is using AHCI. Could be a part of the problem, but that remains to be seen.

I ended up somehow booting my PC in IDE mode (wouldn't accept AHCI anymore), not sure how to be honest, I think it involved booting with a Win 8.1 USB stick, doing some "bootrec /fixboot" shenanigans, trying to "unlock" my perfectly fine already-unlocked SSD and refreshing the Win 8.1 installation. The PC at that moment was working fine with a couple of "minor" kinks:

- Every time I turn on my PC it won't boot straight away, reaches the Windows logo/loading screen but remains black until I restart it, then proceed to boot normally, effectively booting twice each time I turn it on.
- Black screen on the Windows loading screen if I have ASUS Express Gate thing disabled in BIOS, some sort of mini-OS that I never and will never have any use for. Enabling it gives me a short message when I turn my PC on which slows down boot by 5 seconds. No biggie.
- The weirdest issue of them all: my SSD only works if I have a specific SATA cable used to connect it to my mobo. Tried couple of others, nope, my system either freezes, crashes on boot or simply gets stuck trying to initialize the SSD.

poo poo was primed and ready for the Haus, but I wanted to try everything I could to unfuck it myself. After some googling I found a way to make Windows accept the switch back from IDE to AHCI without formatting it. Now it boots properly, and all those nifty things Samsung Magician wants enabled are actually enabled. IDE was working fine, though, but it just bugged me to no end. I still have to keep Express Gate enabled and I'll leave the cables alone for now.

So it is definitely a mobo issue and thankfully not the SSD, and I'll eventually need to replace it. Still not sure what caused all of this, might've been my 5 yo PSU (Corsair 750HX) so just to be sure I got a new one because hey I got money to throw away so why not. Weird that it happened right during the case switching, might've been a user error anyway. :(

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

After this software engineering class, I have an appreciation for how annoying it is for devs to validate user input. That being said, it's still your loving job that you're being paid $120,000 a year to do and it's more annoying for me to create signatures and rules to validate your lovely application's input, so loving do it anyway you assholes.

Merica
Jan 28, 2009
When I get emails such as:

"I have a problem with [program] can you look into it"

"I tried to open [program] and got an error"

"My email doesn't work."

or I get an email from a PM like this tagged with high importance as always: :supaburn::supaburn::supaburn: "Employee can't access their email. This needs to be resolved ASAP.":supaburn::supaburn:

I get at least one of these daily with no information. Either that or I get half my company TYPING IN ALL CAPS FOR NO GOOD REASON. :bang:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I like when a client e-mails just me after hours and I can completely ignore them until 9AM the next day, when I just forward it off to the support e-mail.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Mar 3, 2015

moosepoop
Mar 9, 2007

GET SWOLE
This one was fun. I am a contractor to company 1 (from company 0, my workplace) that has me at company 2 basically running everything IT.

So my contract was due for renewal. I got a warning message to myself and my boss at company 1 about 2 months ago. I replied to my boss at company 1 and made sure he had seen the email and that everything was ok. He told me everything was ok.

Of course everything was not ok. Company 0 forgot to ok the contract to company 1 and company 1 never bothered to check why company 0 never did anything about it. While My boss at company 1 thought everything was ok for some reason.

So yesterday all my access was revoked and the system behaves as I do not work here anymore. I cannot even log in to my computer.

It was of course up to me to cry to my boss at company 0 do do her job and then to company 1 boss to do his job. Now I have to wait at least one week before I can access anything again.

While this is happening company 2 expects me to be able to work. I have made all the workarounds that I can but I can still not access my email or company 1 resources so lets all hope that no high incident server bs show up now because there is 0 chance of me being able to do anything about that.

Perfect storm of incompetence. :smithicide:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I think it's telling of how inbred the IT market is here that I'm pretty sure I know which company 2 and company 1 are (Three sausages, right?), and that I've been in a similar situation myself with those companies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moosepoop
Mar 9, 2007

GET SWOLE

Collateral Damage posted:

I think it's telling of how inbred the IT market is here that I'm pretty sure I know which company 2 and company 1 are (Three sausages, right?), and that I've been in a similar situation myself with those companies.

You are correct. Also Company 0 where I am employed tried screwing me out of a lot of money recently, probably due to incompetence though so my confidence in them is lower than 0, but I do not hate them for being malicious (yet).