Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Orv posted:

Hmmm, yeah seems I was mistaken, though I could have sworn looking at that page through Steam itself caused that to be the case. :shrug:

From what I was looking at online it used to work like that. There's a lot of advice that if you want to filter out Early Access titles you can just go to the New Releases section and they won't show up, but that advice is all from a few month ago, before this discovery update. I think that hosed everything up, and now if you want to filter that out you have to use the dumb curation bullshit. (don't get me wrong, it's cool to have that stuff as a supplement to being able to sort through every title, but if my only option is to look at what Steam is recommending to me it sucks)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

King Vidiot posted:

That's great and all but you can save $30 and get an Afterglow controller for $25 or so on eBay and it'll work perfectly fine for pretty much everything. I don't know why everyone insists on people buying the most expensive stuff, particularly if they're on the fence about even buying a peripheral to begin with.

Probably because most 3rd party console controllers feel like poo poo. If you want to save money get a Logitech instead.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Sonel posted:

Daily deal is Transformers:Rise of the dark spark. Anyone know if it's as good as fall and war for Cybertron?

No.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

I picked up Hitman Absolution as part of the weekly bundle and I'm finding it really frustrating-- mainly that the game penalizes you for killing enemies that aren't your target (even when said enemies are part of a villanous strike team sent to kill you). It has some other major issues: it's extremely linear, half the stages are of you evading people instead of assassinating them, the story is cliche stewed garbage, and the save system is borderline useless (checkpoints that reset when you quit the game!).

What stealth games are there on Steam that DON'T penalize you for murdering everyone? I thinking of games like Tenchu 3, Dishonored, or DXHR - where killing is an option but isn't discouraged at all.

AfricanBootyShine fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Feb 28, 2015

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Mark of the Ninja, and it gives so many fun tools to do it.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Blacklist is a cool stealth game where you can murder everyone

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing
Gunpoint. A couple of your contacts will get pissy about gleeful murder, but you still get full payment.

edit: also Sniper Elite V3 has proper stealth mechanics, unlike its predecessors, and you're shooting Nazis so you can't even feel bad about it.

Male Man fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Feb 28, 2015

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

AfricanBootyShine posted:

I picked up Hitman Absolution as part of the weekly bundle and I'm finding it really frustrating-- mainly that the game penalizes you for killing enemies that aren't your target (even when said enemies are part of a villanous strike team sent to kill you). It has some other major issues: it's extremely linear, half the stages are of you evading people instead of assassinating them, the story is cliche stewed garbage, and the save system is borderline useless (checkpoints that reset when you quit the game!).

What stealth games are there on Steam that DON'T penalize you for murdering everyone? I thinking of games like Tenchu 3, Dishonored, or DXHR - where killing is an option but isn't discouraged at all.

How does it penalize you for killing people, does the psycho rating or whatever you get at the end hurt your feelings?
That sounds like the same savegame system that Blood Money had, I havent played much of Abs yet. And Contracts had no plot at all.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

Male Man posted:

edit: also Sniper Elite V3 has proper stealth mechanics, unlike its predecessors, and you're shooting Nazis so you can't even feel bad about it.

Oh sweet, it does? That was the big problem I had with V2. Might pick it up come spring/summer sale.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

sauer kraut posted:

How does it penalize you for killing people, does the psycho rating or whatever you get at the end hurt your feelings?

Rating = XP for gaining skills, and yes, the basic psychological effect of it makes the game less fun. I enjoy playing games where I can assassinate everyone on the stage, and having a constant deluge of negative points added to my score takes away from that enjoyment.

quote:

And Contracts had no plot at all.

No plot would be an improvement for absolution.

VV That requires an established place nearby, in later missions the amount of bodies far exceeds that of the amount of crates and closets that the developers chose to place. It's particularly egregious for the missions where you're dealing with kill teams. It doesn't make any sense story-wise that hiding bodies would be important, but the game punishes you anyways.

It'd be better if there were no penalty for a silent kill-- just a bonus for hiding bodies. It'd accomplish the same thing, but it wouldn't take away from the fun of hiding piles and piles of corpses.

AfricanBootyShine fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Feb 28, 2015

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

The game doesn't penalize you for killing/subduing people, it's penalizing you for leaving a body in the open. If you hide the body or dispose of it that negative value is cancelled out completely.

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

Accordion Man posted:

Mark of the Ninja is really, really good, and very much in the vein you're looking for. Don't discount it because it's a sidescroller, I'm not the biggest fan of sidescrollers either but it completely sold me on it being possible to make a good stealth game in this format. It's actually one of the best stealth games I've played in general- many of its systems, such as the way it presents necessary information to the player, have basically become my gold standard by which other stealth games are judged.

As far as murdering people goes, it's not a game where you can full-on brawl like in Assassin's Creed (you're a sword-wielding ninja up against guys with machineguns, and treated as such), but it handles streamlined 'combat stealth' very well. You get a bunch of traps and clever ways to murder people, and there's a ton of ways to gently caress with people while you do it.

There are few stealth experiences so fun as letting yourself be seen by the guards in a flash of lightning on a stormy night while you string their buddy up from a lamp-post Predator-style, wearing your freaky demon mask, and then hunting them through the shadows while they panic and accidentally gun down their own men. :unsmigghh:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Accordion Man posted:

In fact killing everyone is how you get the most points. The ninja way that panics enemies when they find corpses is by far the best way to get points. Stealth doesn't even compare.

Mark of the Ninja is my favorite stealth games and one of the best games I can think of. It's fantastic.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Propaganda Hour posted:

The game doesn't penalize you for killing/subduing people, it's penalizing you for leaving a body in the open. If you hide the body or dispose of it that negative value is cancelled out completely.

Yeah. You can murder to your heart's content as long as you clean up afterwards.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Finally got into the Heroes of the Storm beta and my whole saturday just up and disappeared. It's a lot fun and the few characters you get for free are pretty varied. The non-free heroes are really pricy, though. I mean, there's no way in hell I'm going to pay 10 euros per hero, what the hell, Blizz?

e: and 8-9 euro per skin, yeah I don't think so!

lordfrikk fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Feb 28, 2015

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Actually it doesn't penalize you for leaving a body in the open. It penalizes you for a body being found and rewards you for successfully hiding them. The Path of Nightmares allows you to use those corpses to set off panic in enemies (which gives you bonus points). Panicked enemies can kill other enemies for double the points of a stealth kill. So you can have a guard pass by you while you're in stealth (this gives you points), kill one with a ninja tool (which is double the points of a regular kill) or hit him with a panic dart and set off a panic chain. Then you can hide the corpses, which still gives you points even if everyone is already dead.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
We're talking about Absolution, you goof. :v:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Oh, my bad. The last couple posts were about Mark of the Ninja and I just assumed. :shrug:

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
You should be playing MOTN anyways because its leagues freakin better than Absolution.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Absolution was whored out for 3.99 then dumped on humble bundle tier 1, why are we even talking about it anymore.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

No plot would be an improvement for absolution.

Blood Money is one of my favorite games of all time but wrestling Danny Trejo alone makes the plot in Absolution better than BM's boring political drama about cloning.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

sauer kraut posted:

Absolution was whored out for 3.99 then dumped on humble bundle tier 1, why are we even talking about it anymore.

You must not have a lot to talk about if that's how you choose your limits.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

sauer kraut posted:

It's a video game on Steam v:geno:v

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

lordfrikk posted:

Finally got into the Heroes of the Storm beta and my whole saturday just up and disappeared. It's a lot fun and the few characters you get for free are pretty varied. The non-free heroes are really pricy, though. I mean, there's no way in hell I'm going to pay 10 euros per hero, what the hell, Blizz?

e: and 8-9 euro per skin, yeah I don't think so!

The game definitely feels casual, as in you just go into mess around and blow off steam. That said, its still fun as heck and feels like the old school Starcraft custom maps.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Sleeveless posted:

Blood Money is one of my favorite games of all time but wrestling Danny Trejo alone makes the plot in Absolution better than BM's boring political drama about cloning.

Seriously. I can understand the complaints about Absolution's story taking too much focus away from assassinations, but there's a very weird aversion to the sillier elements when it's already a setting with cloned super assassins and criminals that snort cocaine to gain superhuman strength.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

sauer kraut posted:

to spite you

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Sleeveless posted:

I played Blood Money, and it's news to me that there's a plot.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I just started playing Mark in the Ninja and in the very first level I threw a corpse over a ledge and it landed in front of a guy with a flashlight, who immediately started to panic and shoot his gun at it. Two guys ran out from a nearby door and they all freaked out and started shooting each other. When only one was left standing I threw knives at all of the lights in the room and the guy was terrified, then I came up through a vent and he screamed and tripped over himself backing up in terror before I pushed him down and cut his head off.

This is the first time I've liked a stealth game.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Male Man posted:

I played Blood Money, and it's news to me that there's a plot.
Yeah, Blood Money let's you just completely ignore the plot and just play the game. Absolution doesn't and its plot is really bad.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Ragequit posted:

Well she fell off a ship that was in the process of breaking in half in the first game. Not a whole lot of time to pack a bag. She's ready to roll this time around.

lmatfo how do you travel

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Suspicious Dish posted:

Sublevel Zero is a first-person roguelike six-degree-of-freedom shooter

Don't forget the crafting.

Semisponge
Mar 9, 2006

I FUCKING LOVE BUTTS

King Vidiot posted:

That's great and all but you can save $30 and get an Afterglow controller for $25 or so on eBay and it'll work perfectly fine for pretty much everything. I don't know why everyone insists on people buying the most expensive stuff, particularly if they're on the fence about even buying a peripheral to begin with.

I bought an xbone controller because I have teeny tiny baby hands and my xbox controller gave me tendonitis in my right thumb. The xbone controller is better for my hands, plus it plays nice with all my games without effort.

In my experience DS4s are shoddily made and all the moving parts will wear out really quickly with regular use.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
How good is new wolfenstein?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

pretty great by all accounts.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

That game you want is Splinter Cell Blacklist.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Seconding that its really drat good.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

Orv posted:

Not technically yet a Steam game, but as this is also PC general, what would you say if I told you infinite Descent.

gently caress YEA

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Who are you listening to?

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

You can murder Nazis in the 1960s.
You can murder Nazis on the moon.
You can murder cybernetic dogs and giant Terminator-esque versions of them.
You can murder giant mechs.

It is a good game.

gently caress you, moon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Net contents 12 fluid oz.

King Vidiot posted:

If you (or your parents or aunt/uncle or grandparents) choose unwisely when buying a cheaper controller you'll end up buying the more expensive one later anyway and have to waste time not playing games (!) while you wait to get the replacement controller.

This was basically the story of every child in the 80s and 90s. Maybe knockoff controllers are better these days but it's not worth the gamble when you know for sure that the more expensive official choice will work and last.

• Locked thread