Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

axleblaze posted:

I'll third. Motion passes. ABCs of Death is garbage.

Seriously though, as I said earlier, I was downright shocked at how bad that movie turned out. The best segments there are mediocre and the worst are borderline unwatchable.

Dissenting opinion: it's basically the poster boy for "throwing poo poo at the wall and seeing what sticks" but jesus, that's a little much, there's only two that I thought were outright bad (M and W). All the others were either visually interesting (D and V are straight up gorgeous) or grabbed on to a neat/weird enough concept to carry 5 minutes.

It's not something that I would watch for the purpose of, y'know, paying attention to it a second time, but putting the shorts on shuffle and repeat would be good for a Halloween party, and with this kind of movie that's really its wheelhouse anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I liked The Adventures of Baron Munchausen more than I expected to. There aren't that many movies that are so unafraid of being outright fantasies. Parts of it get really drat weird, too. I definitely liked it better than Time Bandits. I think it gets taken off on Sunday so ya better hurry.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Elephant Man is a great, great film, though I really want to know how much work it took to keep David Lynch so restrained. It feels like the only one of his films that could have been made by someone else (apart from the very beginning and the very end).

Also the makeup work on John Hurt is fantastic; Elephant Man is the reason there's even an Academy Award for Makeup and Hairstyling.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
The Deaths Of Ian Stone is a solid vaguely-Groundhog-Day film I discovered thanks to an Internet Reviewer, and I liked it. Not sure if this is entirely the thread for randomly suggesting films, but there you go. It's on Netflix.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

NESguerilla posted:

I watched half of the first half of the first episode of HOC probably 5 times over the last few years. I don't know why I never get around to watching it. I'm sure I'll like it, but the premise doesn't interest me that much. One of these days though...

I'm basically the opposite of a "political-drama" fan, never thought I'd like HoC, but I gave a few episodes a shot and sure enough it hooked me enough to take a PTO day on 2/27 to binge it first thing on midnight 2/26. I won't be done with the 3rd season for a few days but it's definitely worth checking out a few episodes.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Elephant Man is a great, great film, though I really want to know how much work it took to keep David Lynch so restrained.

It was his first studio film and I personally think he was intimidated by Mel Brooks.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Baron von Eevl posted:

It was his first studio film and I personally think he was intimidated by Mel Brooks.

He was, and the story is that Mel Brooks was a fan of Eraserhead and basically just decided to give Lynch a shot at the film based on it and generally thinking he was a brilliant guy. If I can find a vid of him or Lynch telling their sides of it, I'll post it. I remember seeing Brooks do some HBO special or doc or something where he talked about it and it was pretty funny in that classic, coy 'Mel' kind of way.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

K. Waste posted:

He was, and the story is that Mel Brooks was a fan of Eraserhead and basically just decided to give Lynch a shot at the film based on it and generally thinking he was a brilliant guy. If I can find a vid of him or Lynch telling their sides of it, I'll post it. I remember seeing Brooks do some HBO special or doc or something where he talked about it and it was pretty funny in that classic, coy 'Mel' kind of way.

He talks about it in Mel Brooks: Make a Noise which is on Netflix at the moment. It's basically just Mel Brooks talking about Mel Brooks for about an hour and half, but it's pretty enjoyable if that sounds like your thing.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Baron von Eevl posted:

I still love Brooks' response to the Paramount execs that wanted to cut the opening and closing sequences: "We are involved in a business venture. We screened the film for you to bring you up to date as to the status of that venture. Do not misconstrue this as our soliciting the input of raging primitives."

Mel Brooks is awesome.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

david_a posted:

I liked The Adventures of Baron Munchausen more than I expected to. There aren't that many movies that are so unafraid of being outright fantasies. Parts of it get really drat weird, too. I definitely liked it better than Time Bandits. I think it gets taken off on Sunday so ya better hurry.

I Highly recommend buying it, its poster, and its sweet sweet soundtrack.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.
Housebound was pretty cool stuff. Comedy thriller I'd call it? Definitely not what I was expecting but enjoyed it all the way through. Fun movie, agree with the earlier poster that it had some Raimi like qualities to it.

Namirsolo
Jan 20, 2009

Like that, babe?

Dango Bango posted:

I just got an email from Netflix letting me know a new Ralphie May special has been added.

I want to know what Netflix recommendation algorithm I screwed up on to allow this to happen. :negative:

Basically, if you watch any stand up special it thinks you will like them all. I watched John Hodgman:Ragnorak and then got recommended to watch the Ralphie May special. I'm not sure that they could be any more different.

Anyway, if you like John Hodgman, you should watch that, because it's awesome.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Going to recommend Southcliffe . It's about a spree shooting in a small English town (this isn't a spoiler), though most of the focus is on the aftermath and how people come to terms with everything that happens. It's got a great cast and the entire thing wraps up in 4 episodes, so definitely give the first episode a shot and see if it hooks you.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Going to recommend Southcliffe . It's about a spree shooting in a small English town (this isn't a spoiler), though most of the focus is on the aftermath and how people come to terms with everything that happens. It's got a great cast and the entire thing wraps up in 4 episodes, so definitely give the first episode a shot and see if it hooks you.

Last time I looked I had the top rated comment on Netflix for this, and I only wrote it because every single review before mine was negative, and I didn't like that. Is a very good thing to watch.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Last time I looked I had the top rated comment on Netflix for this, and I only wrote it because every single review before mine was negative, and I didn't like that. Is a very good thing to watch.

Unbelievable. It remains easily the best of the Netflix Originals.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Is the iceman worth a watch?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

NESguerilla posted:

Is the iceman worth a watch?

Emphatic no, but the various individual performances are fun and funny.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

I'll watch almost anything with Michael Shannon in it, but man Iceman was dull.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Hm. How about Young Ones? I wouldn't mind watching some Michael Shannon tonight but that ones got pretty meh reviews too.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

NESguerilla posted:

Hm. How about Young Ones? I wouldn't mind watching some Michael Shannon tonight but that ones got pretty meh reviews too.

Young Ones is loving great, though. It's East of Eden meets Blade Runner.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Sold. Thanks!

Edit: It's got the kid from he Road in it. He must have a real apocalyptic look about him.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Mar 1, 2015

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Speaking of Shannon, if you ever get the chance to see Take Shelter, you absolutely should. I vaguely remember it popping up on Netflix once upon a time, so maybe it will come back.

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

Looks like My List/Queue works now when you switch to different regions, love it. I watched Paul Williams: Still Alive and it was an alright lazy afternoon kinda documentary.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Emphatic no, but the various individual performances are fun and funny.

Agreed. Chris Evans is unrecognizable and mega creepy, Shannon's great as always, and Ray Liotta is Ray Liotta. It tries super hard to be Goodfellas and fails on just about every count. It's got its pluses, but it was just so drat dull and disappointing. It doesn't seem like you should be able to make a boring movie about Michael Kuklinski, especially with a cast like that, but here we are.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Yo, recommended this on the first page, I know nobody reads OPs/first pages but still, owned, nubs

But seriously it's really good, and a fantastic example of storytelling done completely through showing and not telling.

stickyfngrdboy posted:

That is criminal, and reinforces my habit of ignoring Netflix reviews. Except yours of course

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Watched Money for Nothing which was about The Federal Reserve's hand in the housing bubble and subprime mortgage crisis. Faint whiffs of gold buggery aside, it did a good job of explaining the Fed's basic charter, how they gradually became more influential in the economy, and mostly of showing Allen Greenspan's long-term aversion to regulation and to raising the federal funds rate. Like most documentaries about the crisis, you leave it with the sense that we're setting ourselves up for another one due to lax regulation, the obscene amount of money and political power financial institutions have, and the realities of too big to fail.

I watched this the other day and generally agree with this. Typically I've seen documentaries on the topic go the "Free market gone amok!" or "The Federal Reserve is a giant conspiracy!" routes. This one is a pretty solid, concise history of the Fed, with a focus on placing the decision makers in context of their times leading up to the 2008 crisis and after. It is definitely critical of the Fed, but doesn't go into advocating for new wacky monetary systems. If you're interested in the topic or want a 2 hour critique of Fed policy to show to someone, this is a decent bet.

EDIT: Although I wouldn't say the message is about lax regulation, but rather mis-regulation and even over-regulation in giving the Fed political mandates that contradicted each-other.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

NESguerilla posted:

I watched half of the first half of the first episode of HOC probably 5 times over the last few years. I don't know why I never get around to watching it. I'm sure I'll like it, but the premise doesn't interest me that much. One of these days though...

The acting is great, but the writing is not.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Elephant Man is a great, great film, though I really want to know how much work it took to keep David Lynch so restrained.

I think Lynch knows the appropriate feel for whatever film he's making; it just so happens that often those films have a surreal element to them. The Straight Story is another example of how restrained and understated he can be when the story requires that kind of treatment.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Taxi Driver is on Netflix now, so if you've never seen it, you should really get on it.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
In A World..., written, directed by and starring Lake Bell, is a fun little movie about voiceover artists- it's never quite great, has sort of a laid back pace and tone, but there's a certain charm to it.

What's weird is that they never really acknowledge the elephant in the room- that they're primarily competing to voice trailers, but trailers these days rarely use voiceovers. It's not a huge deal because the plot still works with that knowledge, and it's mostly about sexism in society as demonstrated by this particular industry (and by "voices" in general, with a nice sidebar on the vocal fry / "sexy baby" trend), but I also think they could have fit it in the plot, which makes it curious that they didn't.

It helps that Bell is always a likable and engaging presence on screen. The supporting cast is really strong too, with turns by Ken Marino, Rob Corddry, Demetri Martin, and Fred Melamed as the protagonist's dominating father.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Maxwell Lord posted:

What's weird is that they never really acknowledge the elephant in the room- that they're primarily competing to voice trailers, but trailers these days rarely use voiceovers. It's not a huge deal because the plot still works with that knowledge, and it's mostly about sexism in society as demonstrated by this particular industry (and by "voices" in general, with a nice sidebar on the vocal fry / "sexy baby" trend), but I also think they could have fit it in the plot, which makes it curious that they didn't.

I liked the movie too, but this plays into some of the weird tone problems it has. It takes some elements very seriously, then goes for broad, doofy satire in moments like the big ending. Ken Marino and Rob Corrdry feel like they're acting in completely different movies.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Taxi Driver is on Netflix now, so if you've never seen it, you should really get on it.

Yeah

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I'm just glad that Ken Marino finally has a real career.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

I'm just glad that Ken Marino finally has a real career.

Definitely. I watch the just-OK Marry Me most weeks to see him, Tim Meadows and John Gemberling on a regular basis.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Every time I see Ken Marino in something's get excited until I realize he's a bit character and usually cast as a d bag.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Guy Young was not a bit character!

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Maxwell Lord posted:

In A World..., written, directed by and starring Lake Bell, is a fun little movie about voiceover artists- it's never quite great, has sort of a laid back pace and tone, but there's a certain charm to it.

It helps that Bell is always a likable and engaging presence on screen. The supporting cast is really strong too, with turns by Ken Marino, Rob Corddry, Demetri Martin, and Fred Melamed as the protagonist's dominating father.

There are so many particular touches in the film about voices, voiceovers, and vocal coaching in general and sexism among the old guard in voice work specifically that I figured it must have been at least partially informed by personal experience, so I was a little surprised to discover that Bell has no credits doing voiceover work. I guess she has a good eye for strange, insular communities or professions and is serious about research. Fred Melamed looks and speaks and acts pretty much exactly like I would expect Don Lafontaine or Gary Owens to be off the clock.

It's a fun, thoughtful film definitely worth checking out. And also a really impressive first-time (I think) stab at the writer/director/producer/star combo from somebody I only knew previously from Children's Hospital.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I only knew Lake Bell from Surface.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Guy Young was not a bit character!

True. He still kind of fit in the sense that ken Marino tends to pop in for a season or a few episodes of a show and get cast as a D bag. He kind of just had the same kind of deal on Togetherness. I miss his lovable self on Party Down.

At least he got to be funny on Eastbound, his character on togetherness didn't really get to do anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

NESguerilla posted:

Every time I see Ken Marino in something's get excited until I realize he's a bit character and usually cast as a d bag.

He's not a bit character in Burning Love, where he plays the bachelor in a satire of The Bachelor. He is still a douche bag though.