Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

BigRed0427 posted:

I'm in the process of doing the system transfer to my new 3DS. I'm up to getting the SD cards out and transfering over my DSi stuff. Just found out my PCs built in SD card reader is not working and I have no other devices to do it.

Can I just come back to this part later or am I hosed until it's done?

did you chose a method yet? You might have to do the wireless method. 4 gigs is roughly 2 hrs IRC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

glassyalabolas posted:

did you chose a method yet? You might have to do the wireless method. 4 gigs is roughly 2 hrs IRC.

Yeah I chose the PC method already. Again, i didn't know my SD card reader shat itself, I rarely use it

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Wamdoodle posted:

I still have mine in my DS Lite. Not sure why since I haven't booted it up in a while :3:

Same thing, might mess with it today in fact.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006

BigRed0427 posted:

Yeah I chose the PC method already. Again, i didn't know my SD card reader shat itself, I rarely use it

Are you able to backtrack to the selections menu? If not you're SOL without a reader.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

If I want to start playing the Zelda games, is there some order I should do it in, or are they all pretty much self contained?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Martytoof posted:

If I want to start playing the Zelda games, is there some order I should do it in, or are they all pretty much self contained?

They are all pretty self contained. Start with the newer ones in my opinion. A Link Between Worlds is real good.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006

Martytoof posted:

Pretty much self contained except:

ALBW is a sequel to LTTP

Ages series are a twin game that should be played together (doesn't matter the order)

Majora's Mask is a indirect sequel to OoT

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Timeline wise it goes:

Skyward Sword > Minish Cap > Ocarina.

Then it splits into 3 timelines.

Link to the Past > oracles > Links awakening > LoZ > LoZ 2
MM > Twilight Princess
WindWaker > Hourglass > Spirit Tracks

I don't know where LBW fits in. Probably in the LTTP timeline.

I might be missing something in there, but that's pretty much the ridiculousness of it all. And like someone else said, it doesn't matter what order because it is essentially the same story nearly every game. Also Links Awakening might be the most insane of the series. And Spirit Tracks the most autistic. (Trains!) Also, Zelda is along for the ride. So punny!

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

glassyalabolas posted:

Pretty much self contained except:

ALBW is a sequel to LTTP

Ages series are a twin game that should be played together (doesn't matter the order)

Majora's Mask is a indirect sequel to OoT

ALBW may be a sequel to LTTP, but you do not have to play it to get or enjoy ALBW. I haven't played it, I loved ALBW, and I didn't realize it was a sequel until you just said it.

Also, for those unfamiliar, ALBW is "A Link Between Worlds" and LTTP is "A Link to the Past".

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
LBW takes place like a 100 years after the events of LTTP.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

Martytoof posted:

I answered you in the Wii U thread:

quote:

If I had to recommend an order to play the games in, I'd go LoZ -> LTTP -> Link's Awakening -> Link Between Worlds -> OoT -> Majora's Mask -> Wind Waker Then play the rest (or don't) in whatever order you want.

LTTP -> Link's Awakening -> Link Between Worlds are all very directly connected

OoT -> Majora's Mask is the same Link

Wind Waker after playing the others, because it's hard to appreciate the game fully if you aren't already familiar with the world and characters from at least OoT and the more Zelda you've played the better.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
While Link Between Worlds is real, real good, I don't really see any reason to go straight to it instead of Link to the Past. Nothing about LTTP has aged poorly compared to most of the older titles and it's a classic. The possibilities are endless after that one but that's where I'd start. It'd be a great "intro" game.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Can you play LTTP on 3DS?

FruitPunchSamurai
Oct 20, 2010

BigRed0427 posted:

Well you could go to the store and get a USB SD card adapter. You shouldn't have to spend more than like five bucks to get one at most places.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Nate RFB posted:

While Link Between Worlds is real, real good, I don't really see any reason to go straight to it instead of Link to the Past. Nothing about LTTP has aged poorly compared to most of the older titles and it's a classic. The possibilities are endless after that one but that's where I'd start. It'd be a great "intro" game.

Yeah, not knocking LoZ 1 or 2, but they haven't aged as well as the later titles. LTTP is a much better introduction to the series as it sets up the formula most of the later games would follow while still falling into the top-down style of the first game. From there the game boy games are a great continuation of the 2D style and if you want to move on to the 3D series start with OOT 3D and go from there.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I'd stay away from 1 and 2 unless you are a masochist. Just watch a LP and call it a day. They do not hold up at all and 2 was a bad game when it was released.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

FruitPunchSamurai posted:

Well you could go to the store and get a USB SD card adapter. You shouldn't have to spend more than like five bucks to get one at most places.

Yeah, I just did. I didn't want to because it's snowing and the roads are getting pretty bad now.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006

Invalid Validation posted:

Can you play LTTP on 3DS?

sadly no.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Well.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

glassyalabolas posted:

Are you able to backtrack to the selections menu? If not you're SOL without a reader.

Before I gave up and got the reader I backed up and tried doing this untill it told me I had to turn off the system. Turn it back on and now I'm at the home screen. I don''t know what to do at this point. I got the data onto the MicroSD, now I just need the 3DS to read it.

Can't I just download my DSi games again from the store? Everything else transferred over all right. Edit: Turns out you can. God loving dammit! :argh:

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Housh posted:

Anyone physically hold a city slicker xl case? Good build quality? I'm eying the all black one but that grizzly one looks nice.

I splurged and got mine earlier this week. Build quality seems great so far. Incredibly study, feels nice in the hands, snaps and straps are all pretty drat heavy duty. It was certainly worth the money I paid.

I ordered the Camel, but I was honestly expecting it to be much more yellow.

Edit: there, fixed the image.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Waltzing Along posted:

I'd stay away from 1 and 2 unless you are a masochist. Just watch a LP and call it a day. They do not hold up at all and 2 was a bad game when it was released.

I'm watching Gamegrumps play 2 and I forgot how horrible and evil the final stretch of the game was. Eesh.

Still has a special place in my heart though :shobon:

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

Waltzing Along posted:

I disagree about 1. It's not a very long game or hard to find and absolutely everybody should play it at least once. It's one of the most influential and important games ever made, and even though LTTP is a better game in general there are still things that LoZ does better.

edit: I find it constantly astounding that some people recommend never playing any old games. Imagine if people who considered themselves film buffs told people not to bother watching anything older than the late 1990's :shrug:

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Just started paying Crimson Shroud, and I'm most impressed with how bad Frea's scoliosis is.

Jadaris
May 9, 2003

I am Leto, Lion of Atreides

Waltzing Along posted:

I'd stay away from 1... They do not hold up at all

Boy howdy is this a bad opinion

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Are there any series where you should play newer games before older games?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Is 2 a bad game or just weird? It's the one with the sidescrolling mechanic, right? I never see it being talked about.

Also, I'm a bit surprised that LoZ 1 was never remade for the GBA using 16-bit graphics or something.

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
2 is different beast in general. It is pretty drat hard and the mechanics have not aged very well compared to other games of the time. It is still a good game, but one you're probably better off watching someone else play rather than attempting it yourself.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Looper posted:

Pokemon.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Adam Bowen posted:

I disagree about 1. It's not a very long game or hard to find and absolutely everybody should play it at least once. It's one of the most influential and important games ever made, and even though LTTP is a better game in general there are still things that LoZ does better.

edit: I find it constantly astounding that some people recommend never playing any old games. Imagine if people who considered themselves film buffs told people not to bother watching anything older than the late 1990's :shrug:
They're not recommending to never play old games. The original LoZ isn't really as good as what come later, though, and very specifically a lot of the games since the 16-bit era have followed a fairly specific formula.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Huh. I just found out about this: http://zelda.wikia.com/wiki/BS_The_Legend_of_Zelda

Might invest some time to play it.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

noirstronaut posted:

Is 2 a bad game or just weird? It's the one with the sidescrolling mechanic, right? I never see it being talked about.

Also, I'm a bit surprised that LoZ 1 was never remade for the GBA using 16-bit graphics or something.

2 is weird and difficult. I don't think it's fair to call it a bad game, but it's not essential like LoZ or LTTP and it's not a game for everyone.

Cless Alvein posted:

2 is different beast in general. It is pretty drat hard and the mechanics have not aged very well compared to other games of the time. It is still a good game, but one you're probably better off watching someone else play rather than attempting it yourself.

I wouldn't recommend it to just anyone, but I don't see any reason not to try a game yourself and make your own decision about it. It's one thing if it's like some completely irredeemable and forgettable piece of poo poo, but Zelda 2 is certainly not that.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

irlZaphod posted:

They're not recommending to never play old games. The original LoZ isn't really as good as what come later, though, and very specifically a lot of the games since the 16-bit era have followed a fairly specific formula.

If The Legend of Zelda isn't worth playing, what NES or earlier era game is?

I'm not saying it's the best game in the series, but it was a big milestone in gaming and if you're interested in the medium it's worth at least trying it out for the historical value if nothing else.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Adam Bowen posted:

As NES Remix shows, very few.

Adam Bowen posted:

I'm not saying it's the best game in the series, but it was a big milestone in gaming and if you're interested in the medium it's worth at least trying it out for the historical value if nothing else.
Sure, it's a historically significant game, but that doesn't mean that you'd recommend it to someone who's trying to get into the Zelda series. Same with the original Metroid, FF1, etc...

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I loving love Zelda II. It seems to catch most of its flak from being different from the rest but given when it came out there really wasn't a "Zelda formula" yet I don't think that's really a problem. The actual action gameplay is really tight, nothing feels better than when you master the timing on hitting the Iron Knuckles with jump stabs. The final run to the Great Palace is brutal but if 8 year old me can do it so can you!

In TYOOL 2015 I almost certainly wouldn't recommend it or the first game (which also owns) as an introduction but if you develop any sort of affinity for the series they are worth revisiting at some point.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Don't forget Zelda 3 and 4 aka Neutopia I and II, though you can only get these on Wii. Really good Zelda clones, somewhat more linear, good graphics and music, and has the ability to move and attack diagonally.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
It really depends on what kind of games you like and the type of person you are. If you're interested in old games then there are some classics, otherwise that's what the big separation of opinion is about. Nobody is going to seriously still argue about which games were good 25 years after they were originally released right?

If a game is a classic and you don't like it then maybe you just don't like old games. Link between worlds is not the "same" as link to the past, I would say it was inspired by it. Originally it was intended to be a remake as I understand. But I would never play a link to the past at this point and am loving the heck out of link between worlds.

You can respect the craftsmanship of a classic title and still not want to play it.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Looper posted:

Metroid, Kirby, Star Control, Grand Theft Auto, Saints Row, Donpachi, Castlevania, The Incredible Machine. Final Fantasy, I guess. Smash Bros, in my opinion.

Assuming "just skip the first entry/first few entries entirely".

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

No I mean, with the assumption that you'll play most of the series. Newer is generally better (shocker), so if you were gonna play older games you'd want to play them first.

KennyMan666 posted:

Metroid, Kirby, Star Control, Grand Theft Auto, Saints Row, Donpachi, Castlevania, The Incredible Machine. Final Fantasy, I guess. Smash Bros, in my opinion.

Assuming "just skip the first entry/first few entries entirely".

Like, yeah I don't think anyone's going to disagree with you, assuming that assumption

Adam Bowen posted:

Zelda 1 really is one of the few NES games to age somewhat well, along with Kirby's Adventure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Ok, I REALLY love the New 3DS. I now totally get why you guys prefer the XL models over the standard.

I have gotten around to playing the first few missions of Monster Hunter 4 and I don't think I'm gonna stick with it. This feels like one of these games where it takes hours to get to the cool poo poo :(