Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

BigRed0427 posted:

Ok, I REALLY love the New 3DS. I now totally get why you guys prefer the XL models over the standard.

I have gotten around to playing the first few missions of Monster Hunter 4 and I don't think I'm gonna stick with it. This feels like one of these games where it takes hours to get to the cool poo poo :(
If that's the only reason you're not gonna stick with it, MH4 starts up way more quickly than previous games, there's like a half dozen tutorial quests and then you can start hunning mons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Nate RFB posted:

I loving love Zelda II. It seems to catch most of its flak from being different from the rest but given when it came out there really wasn't a "Zelda formula" yet I don't think that's really a problem. The actual action gameplay is really tight, nothing feels better than when you master the timing on hitting the Iron Knuckles with jump stabs. The final run to the Great Palace is brutal but if 8 year old me can do it so can you!

In TYOOL 2015 I almost certainly wouldn't recommend it or the first game (which also owns) as an introduction but if you develop any sort of affinity for the series they are worth revisiting at some point.

Look at this scrub who needs jump stabs to beat an Iron Knuckle :smug:

Anyone who hates LoZ II is just really bad at life and should probably kill themselves. Especially now that it's on the virtual console, where you can savescum. It's still an insanely fun 8-10 hours, and the controls are as tight as Shovel Knight's.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Looper posted:

Are there any series where you should play newer games before older games?

There's an argument to be made that you should play Metal Gear Solid in chronological order rather than sequential order, if only to not be so confused about the plot.

But I've finished every Solid game except Peace Walker, and I still can't make heads or tails of 90% of the story, so :shrug:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

MGS should be played in release order and not chronological order.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

ChaosArgate posted:

MGS should be played in release order and not chronological order.

I said there was an argument to be made, not that I would make it :colbert:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Are there any good Castlevania games available on the marketplace for download? I'd love to re-play SOTN but I don't think that's going to make it's way to the 3DS anytime soon.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

explosivo posted:

Are there any good Castlevania games available on the marketplace for download? I'd love to re-play SOTN but I don't think that's going to make it's way to the 3DS anytime soon.

SOTN's not on any Nintendo platform. At least a couple of the GBA ones are on the Wii U eShop, but nothing on 3DS IIRC.

e: Amazon's got the DS ones for about $20-25 new, btw. I've been fighting the urge to rebuy all of them lately.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Those 3 games were all good and all better then SotN.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

BigRed0427 posted:

Ok, I REALLY love the New 3DS. I now totally get why you guys prefer the XL models over the standard.

I have gotten around to playing the first few missions of Monster Hunter 4 and I don't think I'm gonna stick with it. This feels like one of these games where it takes hours to get to the cool poo poo :(

Coming from a guy who usually doesn't stick to games if they don't grab me right away... PLEASE GIVE THIS GAME A CHANCE.

Out of nowhere I realized I'm 10 hours and and haven't barely touched multiplayer.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

so MGS3 has a demo on the store but you can't digitally purchase it?

i have to leave the loving house?

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

BigRed0427 posted:

The Great Jaggi is like 3 missions in, after that it's pretty much all cool poo poo

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

Bombadilillo posted:

Those 3 games were all good and all better then SotN.

God drat, you love bad gaming opinions don't you?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

explosivo posted:

CV1/2/3 and the first GB CV are all on Virtual Console, and there's also a Lords of Shadow game if you're feeling desperate.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I really like the DS Castlevania games.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

so MGS3 has a demo on the store but you can't digitally purchase it?

i have to leave the loving house?

What country are you in? I digitally bought it on sale a few months ago on the NA eShop.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SeANMcBAY posted:

What country are you in? I digitally bought it on sale a few months ago on the NA eShop.

It's on the PAL store too (the Aussie one, at least). Just click "Proceed to Purchase" at the bottom of the screen :shrug:. Just out of curiosity, is the framerate any better in the full version of MGS3D than in the demo?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
It is.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
US dudes, Fred Meyer has Smash and Pokemon OR/AS for $20 each right now:

https://www.fredmeyer.com/webapp/wc...1&storeId=11204

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Who price matches with Fred Meyer?

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow Mirror fate.

Worth my time or massive piece of poo poo? Reviews seem to be mixed. Loves me some Castlevania, but hate lovely games.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Those NN3DSXL grips showing any hope of coming stateside yet?

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

drat, wish I was near one. I could totally go for $20 Smash Bros.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Ciaphas posted:

Those NN3DSXL grips showing any hope of coming stateside yet?

Someone in this thread got one and posted pics already.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
UK dudes, here's New Art Academy for £6.79 shipped:
http://www.base.com/buy/product/new-art-academy-nintendo-3ds/dgc-2222646.htm

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Adam Bowen posted:

God drat, you love bad gaming opinions don't you?

Played SotN recently and is so so drat easy. The formula was really improved by the ds games.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

SOTN is insanely easy, that's true. But just like Super Metroid, that's the only flaw it really has.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Adam Bowen posted:

SOTN is insanely easy, that's true. But just like Super Metroid, that's the only flaw it really has.

And it's not bad, it's fun if not a little generic just because everything has built on it. The ds castlevanias did a great job building on that base and had interesting twists on the mechanics that make them stand out.

Citizen Kane is a movie without flaws that established a ton of film techniques. It's also boring. Doesn't make it bad, other things have improved it's "no flaws"

Also Super Metroid holds up better to its sequels, besides some control improvements it's way better the fusion and Zero Mission.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

Dawn of Sorrow is pretty good, but it's a direct sequel to Aria which is just a better game. Portrait and Ecclesia both suffer from really bad level design, which I think is a pretty big flaw for these types of games.

Ecclesia I think would have been better as a Megamanvania, which is a word I just made up. It's already got distinct stages, really cool new abilities that are taken from your enemies, and excellent boss fights. It would be nice if they had just dumped the exploration and the big castle at the end, because they did a pretty poor job with those elements anyway.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Adam Bowen posted:

The inverted castle is another big flaw. Super Metroid holds up way better imo.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Adam Bowen posted:

Dawn of Sorrow is pretty good, but it's a direct sequel to Aria which is just a better game. Portrait and Ecclesia both suffer from really bad level design, which I think is a pretty big flaw for these types of games.

Ecclesia I think would have been better as a Megamanvania, which is a word I just made up. It's already got distinct stages, really cool new abilities that are taken from your enemies, and excellent boss fights. It would be nice if they had just dumped the exploration and the big castle at the end, because they did a pretty poor job with those elements anyway.

Dump the crab too. Now I want a new 2d castlevania or metroid.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Bombadilillo posted:

Dump the crab too. Now I want a new 2d castlevania or metroid.

I've been waiting since I finished Ecclesia. :(

I really enjoyed those line of Castlevanias.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
IGAvania is dead, and not jut because IGA quit.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

SeANMcBAY posted:

The inverted castle is another big flaw. Super Metroid holds up way better imo.

I've got mixed feelings on the inverted castle. The game kind of falls apart when you reach it and you blow through it way too fast so the sense of progression is pretty bad compared to the first castle. It feels hastily thrown together and a bit empty as well. But, when you start seeing how the areas were designed to work both right-side up and upside-down it's pretty cool. The game really opens up at that point and you can go basically anywhere you want right from the beginning. Also, I already felt like the first castle was a decent length for a first playthrough, comparable to a first playthrough of Super Metroid, so it really felt like a big bonus to get another castle. Also, Lost Painting.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Adam Bowen posted:

I remember replaying Aria after beating Dawn and I was actually surprised that I liked a lot less than I remembered compared to its sequel. Even just being able to switch between two different sets of souls is such an enormous quality of life improvement that losing it was beyond frustrating. Still an outstanding game and the best of the GBA trio but I think they perfected the formula with Dawn.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

Wamdoodle posted:

drat, wish I was near one. I could totally go for $20 Smash Bros.

If you suck my slim jim and give me $5 I'll pick up one for you.

But seriously you should try price matching at BB.

noirstronaut posted:

Who price matches with Fred Meyer?

People are reporting positive results at Best Buy but YMMV...

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Red Robin Hood posted:

If you suck my slim jim and give me $5 I'll pick up one for you.

But seriously you should try price matching at BB.

drat! What a deal!

I'll try Best Buy tomorrow but I find that the one near me is usually pretty unbending on the Price Match rules when it comes to local stores. Fred Meyers is no where near me. (Deep south, btw)

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

Wamdoodle posted:

drat! What a deal!

I'll try Best Buy tomorrow but I find that the one near me is usually pretty unbending on the Price Match rules when it comes to local stores. Fred Meyers is no where near me. (Deep south, btw)

I'll send you the used one I just bought for $25 shipped... PM if interested.

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

Take your phone to a local Target or Wal-Mart they will price match as long as they can make sure it's a legit offer (hence why to take your phone).

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Dawn simply can't be better than Aria with the touchscreen gimmicks and having to fuse your rare and precious souls just to make a new sword.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Haruharuharuko posted:

Take your phone to a local Target or Wal-Mart they will price match as long as they can make sure it's a legit offer (hence why to take your phone).

Even if you are 500 miles away?