Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
agatona
Oct 29, 2010

I found the pink bus bit pretty funny. And I also get the point of the bit. If any politician wants to appeal to me, don't use the color pink just because I'm female.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snark
Sep 19, 2003

no dice
If they want men to vote for them, they bust out the blue vans, right?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The van looked more just red to me.

I never really thought about the election of judges before, but my granddad did have stories from when he worked as a police dispatch about how the sheriff being elected caused problems. They had to wait until the very last moment to inform him about a raid so that he couldn't sabotage it to protect his interests.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

xcore posted:

So no words on the actual meat of the show this week? As non-US person that scared the everliving poo poo out of me. I understand he was being a bit tongue in cheek when he did the "well i shouldn't have urinated in October during an election year" but the implications of that are frightening.

Maybe I need to go and check out the US Politics series that John and Hank Green's channel is doing at the moment, because it is loving bizarre to me that judges run around running campaigns like that to be "elected".

Yeah had no idea that elected judges were even a thing.

Get your poo poo together Bolivia.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I have a friend who left Greece in his 20s for a faculty job here in the US and the way he describes his escape is like someone talking about how they escaped a Winter's Boneesque nightmare. He goes on and on about how most of his friend's and family's "careers" consisted of finding ways to scam the government for monthly payouts or get connected to a prominent enough politician for monthly payouts or come up with insurance scams that provide enough monthly payouts to live off of and then a few who are straight up mobsters stealing poo poo off of trucks. In his experience the number of people who actually create things or provide services is in the minority, everyone is just angling for ways to skim a few bucks. Sounds like a bizarre place.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

They didn't go into this, probably 'cause no one watching would get the joke, but that sleazy rockstar finance minister used to work for Valve, and is probably instrumental in the rise of the hat trade and the current crazy state of the Steam marketplace. Figures he would be in charge of saving the European economy.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Is Greece any closer to loving up the European economy than they have been in the last 20 years? For as long as I can remember that country has been a complete gently caress up on the verge of collapse.

agatona
Oct 29, 2010

Actually, the funniest and annoying part was how the Labor party could not even admit to the color of the van. I would have probably been less peeved if they just came right out and said, "yes the van is pink because women likes pink, now how about we talk about the issues women are facing right now?"

Also, the fact that judges have to campaign in the USA is really really scary. How can there be a fair trial if a lawyer in case a judge is handling has made donations to his election? Is the US government doing something to fix this?

Viginti
Feb 1, 2015

agatona posted:

I found the pink bus bit pretty funny. And I also get the point of the bit. If any politician wants to appeal to me, don't use the color pink just because I'm female.

It's just such a surface level analysis of the issue though and therefore does a disservice to it. Rather than stepping back and showing things from a wider perspective, like he normally does, he took the same bait as the vapid news networks and covered the story on the same level as they did. You can argue the political correctness of pink all you want and i'll probably agree with you, but the policy wasn't about the colour pink, it was just a happenstancual detail that the opposition grabbed onto and fed to the media in order to destroy the outreach effort. Reducing women by assuming that they'll all be enamored with the colour pink is no less stupid than reducing this program to the colour of its bus.

Is the idea of female politicians going out to 'hear' the opinions of female voters in of itself a flawed and reductive effort? Certainly. Is it still better than not giving the time and effort to female voices? I'd say so (though it's not really my opinion that matters here). Do women 'win' by getting a moment to stand against reductionism or do they lose because now both parties will be afraid to publicly court their vote lest they too face this wrath, further disenfranchising them in the election? I don't know, I don't like in the UK so all my knowledge of their politics comes from comedy TV shows. The point is, there are bigger questions at play here and meatier things to discuss, but John just couldn't take his eyes of the pink and that was a little disappointing because he normally does better than that.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

SlothfulCobra posted:

The van looked more just red to me.

I never really thought about the election of judges before, but my granddad did have stories from when he worked as a police dispatch about how the sheriff being elected caused problems. They had to wait until the very last moment to inform him about a raid so that he couldn't sabotage it to protect his interests.

Watch The Wire

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Yeah, this was definitely the weakest episode thus far. Maybe they burned off the crap material since viewership would be way down because of the oscars? There are additional researchers (and writers) this season, and it's unlikely they are all as good as the one person they had last season. But yeah, "oh look, it's pink!" and "we shouldn't listen to this guys economic policy because of his fashion sense!" were both pretty lovely. He also dropped the ball on one of the most horrifying aspects of elected judges; that many states don't even require them to have relevant credentials (e.g. people with no legal background whatsoever can just waltz in and become judges).

agatona
Oct 29, 2010

And again, as a female, using stereotypes to get my vote is not the way to do it. The pink bus is now called "Barbie Bus" for goodness sake! Pink and Barbie are 2 things I hate. If you want me to listen to you, don't use stereotypes. And like I mentioned in another post, what annoyed me most is the hemming and hawwing about the color of the bus. Just go right out and say it's a pink bus and then talk about your plan.

Regarding how the show handled the pink bus news, I found it funny and it got a lot of laugh out of me. Maybe because my expectations from a comedy show is simply just smart and funny humor. The investigative journalism and the like are just bonuses to me. I agree that there real issues we women face every day that should be addressed, but I am not looking at Oliver's show to do that. Plus I would not be calling out Oliver for not giving proper time to women issues. They've done a lot of segments about this. I remember the cheerleaders and Miss America.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Pryor on Fire posted:

I have a friend who left Greece in his 20s for a faculty job here in the US and the way he describes his escape is like someone talking about how they escaped a Winter's Boneesque nightmare. He goes on and on about how most of his friend's and family's "careers" consisted of finding ways to scam the government for monthly payouts or get connected to a prominent enough politician for monthly payouts or come up with insurance scams that provide enough monthly payouts to live off of and then a few who are straight up mobsters stealing poo poo off of trucks. In his experience the number of people who actually create things or provide services is in the minority, everyone is just angling for ways to skim a few bucks. Sounds like a bizarre place.

Literally 50% of the country practices tax evasion.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Labour really sucks playing the UK politics game. I mean, it's super toxic so good on them but as long as the media is more than willing to run with the dumbest issues possible just to get that headline they're gonna look like tools.

They should've just called it a Breast Cancer Awareness-colored bus and tried turning it around by insinuations that the Tories were total jerks for criticizing such an important issue.

Hakkesshu posted:

They didn't go into this, probably 'cause no one watching would get the joke, but that sleazy rockstar finance minister used to work for Valve, and is probably instrumental in the rise of the hat trade and the current crazy state of the Steam marketplace. Figures he would be in charge of saving the European economy.

:lol: I did not know this but unfucking the greek/european economy by way of silly hats is the best thing possible

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
Man the Varoufakis & Pink Van bits were bad. Those dangerous Greeks don't want austerity! He looks slimy! Even did the Jon Stewart finger-to-mouth thing at one point :(

You played Find The South American Country last week too :mad:

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

I never knew that Varoufakis was the steam economist that just gives me more faith in him imo

E: they said they wanted to bring the political conversation out of "the boardroom" and to the kitchen table yeah

Weekly wipe had the most important clip on the subject, a reporter states that what they wanted to talk about is very important then tells them that this pink thing has distracted from that then goes back to asking about the pink van rather than asking about any of the issues they just said were very important.

What's happening in the uk and has been happening for a year or so is that we've seen a succession of irrelevant and idiotic stories (some of them about vans) being overreported because they make the labour party look bad whilst many more important/substantial stories (some of which make the tories look bad) are largely ignored. We know he knows this from talking about it on the bugle. This combined with the varoufakis segment that didn't mention his credentials gives the impression of a very surface reading of the stories.

Phoon fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Feb 24, 2015

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I could be mistaken, but did the pink bus have the bit about how they wanted to have women "around the kitchen table" instead of the boardroom? Because that was pretty damning.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Narcissus1916 posted:

I could be mistaken, but did the pink bus have the bit about how they wanted to have women "around the kitchen table" instead of the boardroom? Because that was pretty damning.

Yes it did.

The idea about the bus is a good one badly done. The poster above pointed out that this wouldn't work on her but its not aimed at her, it aimed at a type of woman who is disengaged from the process. This is meant to feel 'on the level', because there are a gently caress ton on women who love pink and being girly or are mothers whose friends are mothers. Exactly the type of people who will like a big pink bus with a kitchen table in so you can have a chat about what is wrong with the world.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

loving loads of companies use pink as a shorthand for women! Plenty of women's charities use pink as a shorthand for women. We have a charity day where we are encouraged to wear pink for breast cancer. It's dumb! It's much much dumber that labour doing something very common is so insulting that it takes up an entire news cycle!

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Here's one of the best segments of Screenwipe in case anybody is interested in Charlie Brooker's work. It's about the Madeline McCann case, and rolling news in general.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RRmE0_n0K4

The music and audio behind is as much a part of it as the content. It's like a piece of art.

Also I too hated how much John went for the Greek minister, considering that he's one of the few actually qualified ministers around (he has an economics degree and has worked in that environment for years).

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

agatona posted:

Also, the fact that judges have to campaign in the USA is really really scary. How can there be a fair trial if a lawyer in case a judge is handling has made donations to his election? Is the US government doing something to fix this?

One of the biggest problems with this show is that it gives viewers just enough information to be ignorant about an issue. The US government does not have a hand in how states pick their judges, and while most states hold elections for judges, each state has different laws governing those elections. Very often, judges aren't allowed to take stances on issues, which is why most judges run on a generic "tough on crime" campaign. Similarly, judges in election states aren't always elected, but frequently appointed when the previous judge retires. They will then run in a retention election, which they almost always win (at least in my neck of the woods). Its really not as bad as John makes it seem.

Irish Joe fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Feb 24, 2015

Viginti
Feb 1, 2015
Jesus Christ, I didn't need to watch that again. It's ridiculous that shows like The Walking Dead (which I, sort of, like) can have characters die and show everyone crying about it for an hour and it has no effect on me when some of those Wipe segments shatter me. I was on the edge of tears throughout the Yearly Wipe and its a bloody show about a comedian watching TV. Last Week Tonight had a few similar moments last season, where you just have to wonder why we even bother with humanity, not sure the Pony bit was one of them.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

agatona posted:

No, it's working as intended.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

Viginti posted:

Jesus Christ, I didn't need to watch that again. It's ridiculous that shows like The Walking Dead (which I, sort of, like) can have characters die and show everyone crying about it for an hour and it has no effect on me when some of those Wipe segments shatter me. I was on the edge of tears throughout the Yearly Wipe and its a bloody show about a comedian watching TV. Last Week Tonight had a few similar moments last season, where you just have to wonder why we even bother with humanity, not sure the Pony bit was one of them.

This one is also one that will affect you in that way, then (featuring that same music that he loves so much, IBM 1401)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PezlFNTGWv4

All about shooting rampages and media coverage. It is required viewing for everyone in here.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

xcore posted:

Is Greece any closer to loving up the European economy than they have been in the last 20 years? For as long as I can remember that country has been a complete gently caress up on the verge of collapse.
The main gently caress-up was in how the EU hosed up the due diligence, when they admitted Greece into Euroland, even though the government at the time had cooked the books something fierce.

When the global economy crashed, things just escalated, and because they had joined EU, they didn't have their currency to devalue.

So they've been doing a poo poo job for a while, but suddenly they had to answer to the ECB for it.

And you might well argue the EU haven't done the best job of pummelling the country into submission with austerity.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
The funny part of the pink bus stuff was supposed to be the people who couldn't bring themselves to call it pink, how did y'all miss this.

Shakugan posted:

He also dropped the ball on one of the most horrifying aspects of elected judges; that many states don't even require them to have relevant credentials (e.g. people with no legal background whatsoever can just waltz in and become judges).

You mean when they showed the campaign ad that had nothing to do with being a judge for the candidate who had no relevant experience whatsoever, then reported that the candidate won?

Exclamation Marx posted:

Man the Varoufakis & Pink Van bits were bad. Those dangerous Greeks don't want austerity! He looks slimy! Even did the Jon Stewart finger-to-mouth thing at one point :(

You played Find The South American Country last week too :mad:

I hope we play Highlight The Wrong Country every week, it's both hilarious and informative! Agreed about the other bits though.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

pokeyman posted:

You mean when they showed the campaign ad that had nothing to do with being a judge for the candidate who had no relevant experience whatsoever, then reported that the candidate won?

A campaign ad that has nothing to do with being a judge doesn't necessarily imply that the person in the ad has no relevant legal experience, just that they think talking about dive rescue is "cool" and will help them get elected.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

pokeyman posted:

The funny part of the pink bus stuff was supposed to be the people who couldn't bring themselves to call it pink, how did y'all miss this.

I hope we play Highlight The Wrong Country every week, it's both hilarious and informative! Agreed about the other bits though.

They need to play Highlight the wrong country with like Germany or Ukraine, just for kicks.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
the best part about the "Find the Country" game was the background was a translucent flag of Uruguay :3:

also I'm from Virginia, one of the three states that don't elect judges apparently, and I feel our politics and judiciary aren't that different from every other state. I think electing judges is a problem for the reasons Oliver talked about, but it doesn't actually seem like a big one at least in practice.

EccoRaven fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Feb 24, 2015

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

EccoRaven posted:

the best part about the "Find the Country" game was the background was a translucent flag of Uruguay :3:

also I'm from Virginia, one of the three states that don't elect judges apparently, and I feel our politics and judiciary aren't that different from every other state. I think electing judges is a problem for the reasons Oliver talked about, but it doesn't actually seem like a big one at least in practice.

It sounds like something that isn't a huge problem but is about to become one as PACs get involved.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Has there ever been a thing that's been better after PAC's got involved?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Xoidanor posted:

Ham Rove (RIP)

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Xoidanor posted:

Colbert Report

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

bobkatt013 posted:

Ham Rove (RIP)

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
To Pittsburgh's credit, the bridge referenced with the structure underneath it to catch falling materials is being torn down and replaced this year.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Toona the Cat posted:

To Pittsburgh's credit, the bridge referenced with the structure underneath it to catch falling materials is being torn down and replaced this year.

And it's going to make my life a living hell for the week where they have to close the parkway to demo it.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
I live in Monroeville and I'll be at Duquesne Law this fall. I feel your pain. :(

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Nice tribute to Nimoy, and the Infrastructure trailer owned.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
I unironically want to see Infrastructure this summer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

axeil posted:

I unironically want to see Infrastructure this summer.
Well, if there's anyone who can make infrastructure sexy, it's HBO.

"Play with her arse."

• Locked thread