Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Ragingsheep posted:

All reports are that the m9's 20mp camera is worse than the rear camera on the m8

I read that the quick peeks were all with unfinished camera software. So it's probably too soon to know anything definitive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
Not to stir up the pot, but does Wallet still use the virtual card system or have they figured out how to do MVC via NFC like ApplePay supposedly does? Or are we still waiting on all that?

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

enojy posted:

Say it ain't so. poo poo. I was looking forward to upgrading this year, and not to an iPhone 6. What's left for 2015 flagships? LG?

In summer 2015 we should get another Moto and LG and in fall another Nexus likely based on the Moto or LG flagship if we continue to follow the pattern.

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

That could've gotten in my eye!
*launches teargas at unarmed protestors*

I THINK OAKLAND PD'S USE OF EXCESSIVE FORCE WAS JUSTIFIED!
Any guesses what the m8 price is going to be when the m9 drops? I'm about to get a new phone but i may hold off if the price drop is significant enough.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

*runs in*

AHEM without an SD card and removable battery how can I be expected to watch 4 hours of animes every day on the bus?

finally someone that gets me

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Endless Mike posted:

*runs in*

AHEM without an SD card and removable battery how can I be expected to watch 4 hours of animes every day on the bus?

Usb otg with flash drives and juice packs, duh.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

The S6 looks good but the Moto X 2014 is still the best looking phone, in my opinion.

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.
I recently switched back to Android and my wallet is happy that neither flagship introduced today interests me in the slightest. Bull is right and to add to his list we also can get hours of juice with a 15 minute charge now.

For me personally, improved camera optics (mirrorless camera tech is already promising) and the next leap in battery technology are what I'm looking forward to. It doesn't take new hardware for cool new software and features to be thought of and developed so I'm not worried about that side of things at the moment.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

enojy posted:

Say it ain't so. poo poo. I was looking forward to upgrading this year, and not to an iPhone 6. What's left for 2015 flagships? LG?

LG is the dark horse here I think. The only reason I am even here is LG gave me a G3 for free but (And probably why they gave me one for free), it's an awesome device, great camera, laser focus actually works, they managed to shove a giant screen into a device that is actually usable, I'm potentially lusting after their Urbane LTE watch.

I've been bribed, I would have never bought a G3 but here I am and it is a solid, solid phone, I'm on the fence about getting a G4 or a iPhone 6 + Apple Watch honestly.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Why would you get an iPhone 6? It looks like a Samsung

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I honestly kinda like the looks of the S6 edge but it's impractical and watching MKBHD's video showed it's still a janky piece of poo poo. Good for them for getting rid of the swipe fingerprint scanning though.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
What other non samsung, non phablet android devices have wireless charging, either internally or built into a minimal case? I'll probably be switching from WP when my contract is up in a few weeks (a not terrible camera would be nice too but I'll take what I can get).

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009
^Sony Z3 and Z3 Compact.

Logikv9 posted:

Specs are fine for me, I'm just disappointed in the lack of a new design. While they may be going with a "if it isn't broken, don't fix it" mentality, the design is getting stale. I was oddly excited for the (now inaccurate) evleaks renders, because it just looks more sleek and more of an evolutionary take on the design.

I guess I got used (and liked) Apple's style of a new design every other year, because it kept things fresh. New specs are great, but ultimately it still looks like the same phone that came out when I got the S4.

the M7 and M8/M9 are debatably as different as the iPhones 4/4S and 5/5S.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

bull3964 posted:

Most can generally go a day or more without charging.

What else do you really want out of a smartphone beyond an endless myriad of niche customization options?

I'm an iPhone owner popping in because I'm interested in the new phone announcements. Can "most" Android smartphones really go a day or more without charging? Seems far fetched but I'll be impressed if that is the case.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Reverse Centaur posted:

I honestly kinda like the looks of the S6 edge but it's impractical and watching MKBHD's video showed it's still a janky piece of poo poo. Good for them for getting rid of the swipe fingerprint scanning though.

Ummm, what? I just watched his video and his closing line is "I think if I was choosing between the two right now I'd choose the S6 edge". He was incredibly positive on the edge. Granted it's way too early to make final decisions but the S6 edge looks like a really decent phone. I'm really surprised Google has let Samsung be sole owner of dual window for years now.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

ShoogaSlim posted:

I'm an iPhone owner popping in because I'm interested in the new phone announcements. Can "most" Android smartphones really go a day or more without charging? Seems far fetched but I'll be impressed if that is the case.

As always it depends on usage. If you're a recent iPhone user and thinking that Android get better battery life, no.

I can kill any phone in about 4 hours if I stream audio over a bad network connection while sending audio to a Bluetooth headphone. Physics are physics and some things will always kill battery (continuous connection over weak network is one). On standby iPhones tend to do the best per Amp Hour (amount of battery) but some Android have MUCH larger batteries (up to 2-3x) than iPhones and do about the same giving them double or triple the battery life.

Last year there was also a push for super low power modes (HTC/Samsung) that would let the phone use it's last bit for several times longer by disabling all the battery drawing features. In some cases this would let the phone act to text/email/receive calls for another day or so.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

ShoogaSlim posted:

I regularly plug my Droid Turbo in at the end of the day with over 50% battery left. I get email, check FaceBook, surf the web, tweet and play some dumb games. It's got great battery life.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

kensei posted:

I regularly plug my Droid Turbo in at the end of the day with over 50% battery left. I get email, check FaceBook, surf the web, tweet and play some dumb games. It's got great battery life.

It's absolutely a great phone, but the Turbo is about as far from 'most' Androids as you can get.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

ShoogaSlim posted:

That's a loaded question that I don't have enough hands on experience to really answer but I'll say yes. I know of a few that would struggle to go a day (LG G3 comes to mind,) but for the most part, I think it's safe to assume any at-carrier Android phone would last at least a day with normal to moderate usage. Screen on time and GPS are usually the biggest draws. My HTC One M7 (from 2013) easily goes a day, unless I use it as a GPS. Standby time is really good, too, dropping maybe 1% an hour if I had to guess.

As for the two new phones announced today, the HTC One M9 has a 2850 mAh battery and a 1080p display, so I'm willing to bet it does pretty well in the battery life department. The Galaxy S6 has a 2550 mAh battery and a QHD AMOLED display, so who really knows with that one.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Stick100 posted:

I'm really surprised Google has let Samsung be sole owner of dual window for years now.

I think LG has something similar on their last flagship or two, but I could be wrong.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Stick100 posted:

Ummm, what? I just watched his video and his closing line is "I think if I was choosing between the two right now I'd choose the S6 edge". He was incredibly positive on the edge. Granted it's way too early to make final decisions but the S6 edge looks like a really decent phone. I'm really surprised Google has let Samsung be sole owner of dual window for years now.

I was referring to the way the UI lagged and chugged as he scrolled. I really don't miss that. Saw something similar on an HTC One M9 video. (no it's not my computer)

And I thought dual window was pretty useless on my Note 3.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

RVProfootballer posted:

I think LG has something similar on their last flagship or two, but I could be wrong.

Yep LG has the (completely useless) dual window mode too. Made even more useless than Samsung's version as only a handful of apps can run that way (without root fuckery)

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Got to play with a Samsung Note Edge today

As dumb as it looks, unfortunately

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

ShoogaSlim posted:

I had an iPhone 5S and it almost always died by 8-9pm on a weekday. Exact same usecase with a Sony Z3 it's usually at 50-60% when I go to bed. Its battery, like the Z3 Compact's and Droid Turbo's, is relatively massive though. HTC One M9 should be nearly as good assuming its new CPU/GPU is at least as power-efficient as its predecessor.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

ShoogaSlim posted:

I have a Sony Z3 Compact and a Quickcharge 2.0 charger. When 10 minutes charging gets you an hour's worth of screen on time, and the battery usage when the screen is off is mitigated to almost zero, charging at night becomes 100% optional.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

ShoogaSlim posted:

No. There's a handful that can, and they're all being mentioned specifically, but most Androids have roughly the same battery life as an iPhone.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Regarding battery life, if the viable competition wasn't that expense, I'd stop recommending Android. I get plenty of questions lately about friends phones having irregular poo poo battery life, and it turns out to be Play Services or Android OS wakelocking all the time. This is getting tiring.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

zenintrude posted:

Why do Android phone manufacturers refuse to make phones worth owning smaller than 5"? The M7 at 4.7 is already almost too large for a pocket once it's in a decent case, but these 5" and up phones are just too much. The Evo at 4.3 was a great size and (for the time) quite a powerful device... why are we not seeing more manageable-sized phones with flagship specs? Do they simply need more space for the components and screen size is simply a byproduct?

Because you are in a tiny minority. People want big phones and that's what the companies are giving them.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Only company that still makes tiny phones is Sony. Enjoy your super awful Android UI modification arsehole with next to no corporate support poo poo devices. They also have battery saving feature you can't prevent from activating itself in any way whatsoever, which breaks all kinds of backgrounding sanity present in Android without alerting the app it's being removed from background sleep, so it has no chance to save before it gets murdered. I hate working with Sony devices for app development because everything you expect from Android normally works completely differently on Sonys devices.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Samsung ditched microSDs for the S6, and Sandisk just announced a 200 GB microSD card.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Reverse Centaur posted:

I use the swipe fingerprint scanner on my galaxy s5 and I think it works great

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

vyst posted:

I use the swipe fingerprint scanner on my galaxy s5 and I think it works great
Phones are a prime use case for big microSD, but gopros and the like are probably just as big.

Merv Burger
Jan 3, 2008

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Samsung ditched microSDs for the S6, and Sandisk just announced a 200 GB microSD card.

Man, if only there were purposes for micro SD cards other than phones.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Merv Burger posted:

Man, if only there were purposes for micro SD cards other than phones.

There are, but you could've had a 328GB phone and now you can't. Samsunged!

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

b0nes posted:

Because you are in a tiny minority. People want big phones and that's what the companies are giving them.

It's funny how this is now the prevailing wisdom when it wasn't that long ago that phone makers were very upfront that phones were getting bigger because LTE chipsets and the processors that Android needed not to run like dog poo poo required bigger batteries and the batteries were driving screen size.

I'm not saying it isn't true that consumers don't happen to like big screens but it was more a happy coincidence, they were forced on us and in a world that the carriers weren't trying to push their LTE networks with immature chipsets and scared as poo poo of Apple's growing power might have been different.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Three Olives posted:

It's funny how this is now the prevailing wisdom when it wasn't that long ago that phone makers were very upfront that phones were getting bigger because LTE chipsets and the processors that Android needed not to run like dog poo poo required bigger batteries and the batteries were driving screen size.

That was the reason the HTC EVO was huge (at the time) as Sprint needed extra hardware/battery for WI-MAX while the Nexus One was a tiny svelte phone because it was just traditional GSM.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Stick100 posted:

That was the reason the HTC EVO was huge (at the time) as Sprint needed extra hardware/battery for WI-MAX while the Nexus One was a tiny svelte phone because it was just traditional GSM.

Verizon Galaxy Nexus wasn't any larger than the GSM Galaxy Nexus and it had LTE. Didn't prevent it from being a piece of poo poo, but it really didn't affect the size any and the Verizon version of the Galaxy Nexus wasn't really that far off in battery life.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Three Olives posted:

I'm not saying it isn't true that consumers don't happen to like big screens but it was more a happy coincidence, they were forced on us and in a world that the carriers weren't trying to push their LTE networks with immature chipsets and scared as poo poo of Apple's growing power might have been different.

That's stupid. Increasing the screen size would increase the drain on the battery too. If that was the reasoning, phones would be getting bigger without the screens themselves upsizing.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

That's stupid. Increasing the screen size would increase the drain on the battery too.
Only when it's on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stevewm
May 10, 2005

zocio posted:

That is indeed the reason, I wanted to test the technology before going with the threat favorite (which costs 4 times as much as the other ones).
I guess unless someone says that if you use it as I intent, for overnight charging, it doesn't really matter, I'll have to beg, borrow or steal a 1.5 amp or higher charger.

QI chargers are at best 70% efficient, so if you want to charge at a decent rate, a high current input is needed.

The Adata branded QI charger I have will work with my phone's factory charger that has a 850mA output. But that only results in a 400mA charge rate through wireless. Using a 2A charger, it increases to a little over 970mA with some peaks near 1000mA, so actually more than the factory wired charger.

Wireless charging is great though. The last 2 phones I've had used it. I never plug them in anymore. My current phone, a Droid Maxx, has a large 3500mAh battery, so it rarely goes below 50% with a normal day's use. It only takes 1.5 hours to reach 100% from 50% over wireless charging. But I keep the charger pad on my nightstand, throw it on there when I go to bed, and its ready to go in the morning.