Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Internet Kraken posted:

I never felt the need to kick people out just for getting high stress at any point in the game. I'm a big softie that doesn't like to let anyone ever die/get fired though.

I'm a bit of a softie myself, which is why I fire low-level heroes when they become a liability instead of suiciding them in a loot run. I've had one death total in this run, because sometimes the dice just aren't in your favour no matter what you do (rip Turgleburden), but when I think one of my heroes might die I just retreat, and if I'm not willing to bring a hero on a run or Sanitarium them, I send them away. I think of it less as a firing and more as releasing them from their duties so they can hastily depart the horrible Estate and go somewhere more peaceful :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GladRagKraken
Mar 27, 2010

Angry Diplomat posted:

I think of it less as a firing and more as releasing them from their duties so they can hastily depart the horrible Estate and go somewhere more peaceful :unsmith:

God speed, you nightmare plagued syphilitic agoraphobe! I'm sure you'll have a long and fulfilling life skulking at the edges of civilization, too shattered to be allowed near polite company. As severance pay I've provided you with a bottle of the cheapest rotgut the bar had to offer, to get you started with the inevitable alcoholism you'll battle with till you succumb to cirrhosis. Good luck getting through the dark, winding, and bandit filled forest.

Lysator
Mar 1, 2015
Is it adviceable to treat lvl1 heroes at all? I tend to replace them more often, but maybe that's a problem as I barely make any progress.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
You have to treat them at some point. Fully upgraded, both the meditation chamber and drinking are really cost effective at treating stress, too.

Lysator
Mar 1, 2015
k, thx! Are there actual differences in efficiency regarding the stress relief or is drinking the goto for all? I guess upgrading those stress reliefs should be a high priority then.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The best stress relief is more dungeons, with a bard.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Lysator posted:

k, thx! Are there actual differences in efficiency regarding the stress relief or is drinking the goto for all? I guess upgrading those stress reliefs should be a high priority then.

Seems like the top row for Abbey/Tavern is the weakest/cheapest, 2nd row is mid-tier, and 3rd row is most expensive but will cure a full 100 stress in a single turn once fully upgraded.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Baronjutter posted:

The best stress relief is critting in more dungeons, with a bard.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

Angry Diplomat posted:

I think of it less as a firing and more as releasing them from their duties so they can hastily depart the horrible Estate and go somewhere more peaceful abandoning them completely unprotected to the horrors outside the town walls and leaving them to die alone out of sight so you don't have to clean up the bodies.

I think this is closer to what actually happens.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Fully upgraded the rows treat about 70/85/100 stress naturally. This can be modified by quirks.

The elephant here is that 70 stress is more than enough unless someone got afflicted in a dungeon, and probably enough even if they did.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Lysator posted:

The advantage of upgrading the Bar over the meditation chamber is that then you can use your busts to upgrade the sanitarium.

If you're new to the game you might want to check out my guide: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=385431020

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Oh I had no idea the more expensive treatments healed more stress, I thought they were just more expensive as a punishment for having weird quirks or perversions or forcing you to pay more when cheaper slots are full. Beyond level 0 I've never had anyone go above 50 stress or so so I've never seen a treatment not fully heal someone.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The advantage of upgrading the Bar over the meditation chamber is that then you can use your busts to upgrade the sanitarium.

But then you're using paintings on the Tavern instead of the Guild.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Have your adventurers achieve oneness at the cloister. Reach heaven through violence.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

bitcoin bastard posted:

Guild is less pressing. You need some minimal stress relief at first, and the Bar is really cheap to upgrade. Right around the time the bar (not the whole tavern, just the bar) gets maxed out, you should have a team hitting level 3 and then you can upgrade the Guild and start taking on next-tier missions.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Angry Diplomat posted:

I think of it less as a firing and more as releasing them from their duties so they can hastily depart the horrible Estate and go somewhere more peaceful :unsmith:

If by somewhere more peaceful you mean the Hag's cooking pot then yeah I'm sure that is what happens.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Angry Diplomat posted:

Or providing more hosts for the fungus in the weald.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Seriously. They arrive by carriage but you don't see them leave that way...

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Time_pants posted:

It does, but damage buffs are additive, not multiplicative.

Still, -200% damage seems pretty bad.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

bitcoin bastard posted:

The sanitarium is more important than the guild.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

Normal Adult Human posted:

You can clear the game without ever using the sanitarium. The guild has all the +math your adventurers need to survive.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Normal Adult Human posted:

Haha this is 100% wrong.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Wow guys its almost like there's a few ways to play this game

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Send a bunch of nutcases into the Weald with a couple stacks of torches and come out with the loving Partridge Family instead of using the Sanitorium.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

poptart_fairy posted:

Seriously. They arrive by carriage but you don't see them leave that way...

You also don't see the ones you don't hire leave. You have a carriage network; it's not exactly hard to believe that people leave on it, especially when the alternative is that for some reason everyone who gets taken to this town, with the exception of the carriage drivers, are just dropped off and left to die if they're not working in the hamlet or in your employ.

Really. It's a dark game but what people are proposing here is just silly.

Also, Sanitarium versus Guild chat, I almost never use the Sanitarium but I also haven't had many skills I want gone that badly, so I haven't really needed to use it. I like keeping my adventurers' skills up, though.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

If they aren't listed in the Graveyard, they didn't die in the Weald. And if that caravan can reliably make it in full of lovely level nothing heroes, a handful of heroes with PTSD can make it out the same way. Don't let me interrupt your grimdark Warhammer everyone-dies-violently-forever theorycrafting though :colbert:

(Anyway I feel it suits the game's tone better to have permanently traumatized burnouts scattered in taverns and sheltered alleys throughout the realm, warning would-be heroes not to go to the Estate and shaking their heads in despair when they do anyway)

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Certain things such as Curiosity, Lockjaw, Syphilis, Weak Grip On Life, etc. are absolutely must-get-rid-of-asap negative quirks. Excising the reduction in skill/higher chance of death/obnoxiously checking everything you try to walk past is worth the extra gold.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

AngryBooch posted:

Send a bunch of nutcases into the Weald with a couple stacks of torches and come out with the loving Partridge Family instead of using the Sanitorium.
Wonder if they're going to change that, it's 100% chance to remove a negative quirk that way right?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Roland Jones posted:

You also don't see the ones you don't hire leave. You have a carriage network; it's not exactly hard to believe that people leave on it, especially when the alternative is that for some reason everyone who gets taken to this town, with the exception of the carriage drivers, are just dropped off and left to die if they're not working in the hamlet or in your employ.

Really. It's a dark game but what people are proposing here is just silly.

Yeah I'm sure this business built on deceiving people with visions of glory and then sending them to die in a pig-demon infested sewer makes sure its drop outs are safe. Especially when the people being fired are insane, unstable wrecks due to their time spent in aforementioned sewer. So even if they do somehow get out of this hellhole safely they're left a crippled invalid.

With the way the setting is setup it seems far more appropriate to assume everyone coming to the hamlet is hosed the moment they get on the carriage.

EDIT: Really if leaving was as easy as hoping on the carriage nobody would be living near the estate before you arrive. People have the choice between cowering in their ruined homes or trying to run through the zombie infested woods to escape.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Mar 3, 2015

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
If they didn't bail on that entire shitshow the moment they saw their first vomit pig they're asking for whatever comes after.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
It's a bit weird to call peoples' theories on the game silly when its gimmick is unrelenting darkness. :v:

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
We are the flame, and darkness fears us.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Jackard posted:

We are the flame, and darkness fears us.

*gets wine splashed on coat*

:WHY DO YOU ALL CONSPIRE AGAINST ME?!?

VVV It doesn't say where they go when they leave and its far more reasonable to assume they're stumbling around the outskirts of the hamlet rather than leaving the place entirely. Also, the only person you know that goes too and from the village is the caretaker. How? Who the gently caress knows, probably something to do with spending so long in the shadow of the manor that he's got his own supernatural qualities. I can't see him letting people back on just because they lost their job.

The game clearly establishes that leaving isn't a simple thing though. The entire deal with the Weald is that its corrupted the forest surrounding the area, blocking most paths and keeping people from getting in and out.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Mar 3, 2015

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Internet Kraken posted:

Yeah I'm sure this business built on deceiving people with visions of glory and then sending them to die in a pig-demon infested sewer makes sure its drop outs are safe. Especially when the people being fired are insane, unstable wrecks due to their time spent in aforementioned sewer. So even if they do somehow get out of this hellhole safely they're left a crippled invalid.

With the way the setting is setup it seems far more appropriate to assume everyone coming to the hamlet is hosed the moment they get on the carriage.

EDIT: Really if leaving was as easy as hoping on the carriage nobody would be living near the estate before you arrive. People have the choice between cowering in their ruined homes or trying to run through the zombie infested woods to escape.

We know people can leave, though. Your adventurers leave all the time to do stupid stuff. Also, the whole thing began with you getting a letter that came from this place. And, again, presumably the carriages are leaving because otherwise in addition to an infinitely large pile of bodies people keep driving carriages and horses here and there's an even bigger pile of them next to the aforementioned pile of people you don't hire and carriage drivers coming in to town and never leaving.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Roland Jones posted:

We know people can leave, though. Your adventurers leave all the time to do stupid stuff. Also, the whole thing began with you getting a letter that came from this place. And, again, presumably the carriages are leaving because otherwise in addition to an infinitely large pile of bodies people keep driving carriages and horses here and there's an even bigger pile of them next to the aforementioned pile of people you don't hire and carriage drivers coming in to town and never leaving.

It's funny to think otherwise.

you might be making this a more important issue than anyone who actually brought it up

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Roland Jones posted:

And, again, presumably the carriages are leaving because otherwise in addition to an infinitely large pile of bodies people keep driving carriages and horses here and there's an even bigger pile of them next to the aforementioned pile of people you don't hire and carriage drivers coming in to town and never leaving.
Have you ever noticed the number of skeletons in the background of The Warrens?

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

I can't stop laughing at the notion of the infinite carriage pile, jesus christ

e: next time I start over I'm so starting the Infinite Carriage Pile Estate

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Mar 3, 2015

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
They make the carriages into the torches.

Industrial
May 31, 2001

Everyone here wishes I would ragequit my life
My jester is the biggest badass to ever live. It was only him and my leper against a full hp necromancer's appprentice, I was all but sure to lose. He took 3 hits on death's door, which made him completely insane. This caused him to get some buff, I cannot recall the name of it, where instead of freaking out he just kept saying "I guess insanity suits me" and regenerating massive amounts of health each turn. His bleed damage eventually killed the necro, then he went to the bar and had a drink.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Industrial posted:

My jester is the biggest badass to ever live. It was only him and my leper against a full hp necromancer's appprentice, I was all but sure to lose. He took 3 hits on death's door, which made him completely insane. This caused him to get some buff, I cannot recall the name of it, where instead of freaking out he just kept saying "I guess insanity suits me" and regenerating massive amounts of health each turn. His bleed damage eventually killed the necro, then he went to the bar and had a drink.

I want to say it was Focused that had my Jester do that, but maybe he does it with every positive affliction. It is badass though yeah