Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

orange sky posted:

Have you done that/know someone who did that?

I'd love to know about the feasibility of it, and know if my account isn't going to be banned later. I reckon I'd also have to switch PSN Plus to that account?

You won't be banned for that. You won't even be banned for game sharing with a friend in another region, which is something I did back on the PS3 when you could have your account active on five different systems. You will have to buy PS+ on your American account if you want those free games/deals, though.

Keep in mind that DLC does not work cross region, or at least it didn't on PS3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Manatee Cannon posted:

FF9 was my favorite for a long time. It's a little hard to go back to though.

Of the three PSX Final Fantasy titles, I found it the easiest to come back to play. It doesn't have any real annoying segments that I don't want to retread. FFIX was a pretty straight forward game in comparison to VII and VIII, but this was a good thing. I think its stood the test of time a lot better as a result, while still remaining fun to play.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

epitasis posted:

Four and 6 are the best but I would also advise people seek out the original sprite versions because the polygonal remakes are somehow more hideous than FF7 is by today's standards.

Yeah, FF7's models are legoid abominations but their pre-rendered backgrounds are quite nice and the game still has a good sense of framing and camera placement. The 3D FFIV/VI remakes are ugly and amateurish.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

epitasis posted:

Four and 6 are the best but I would also advise people seek out the original sprite versions because the polygonal remakes are somehow more hideous than FF7 is by today's standards.

Oxxidation posted:

Yeah, FF7's models are legoid abominations but their pre-rendered backgrounds are quite nice and the game still has a good sense of framing and camera placement. The 3D FFIV/VI remakes are ugly and amateurish.

The DS port of FFIV looks fine to me :shrug:. Nothing fantastic, but I wouldn't say they're bad.

I said come in! posted:

Of the three PSX Final Fantasy titles, I found it the easiest to come back to play. It doesn't have any real annoying segments that I don't want to retread. FFIX was a pretty straight forward game in comparison to VII and VIII, but this was a good thing. I think its stood the test of time a lot better as a result, while still remaining fun to play.

The only bad thing is it takes your only Healer away from the main party for a good few hours early on, and if you didn't get the optional party member, (and teach them White Wind), you were going to have a drat hard time of it.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The DS port of FFIV looks fine to me :shrug:. Nothing fantastic, but I wouldn't say they're bad.

I want to say he's referring to the PSX re-releases of 4/5/6. These games maintain the original in-game graphics as best as possible, but the cutscenes are replaced with extremely horrible 3D animation. There are good GBA ports of 4/5/6 too though. To me 9 is definitely the best of the three PSX games.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

And I'm a fan of FFX but can't understand what anyone likes about FFIV besides nostalgia.

There's a reason the megathread is subtitled 'Every game is the worst game in the series'.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I said come in! posted:

I don't think any of the three PSX games hold up that well, but you're right that they are all 100% still playable. You just have to make certain allowances for the generation they were designed in.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Peel posted:

And I'm a fan of FFX but can't understand what anyone who didn't grow up with it likes about FFIV.

It's worth playing so you can then play Dragon Quest IV after and realize the same concept was done ten times better on the NES a year earlier.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

I want to say he's referring to the PSX re-releases of 4/5/6. These games maintain the original in-game graphics as best as possible, but the cutscenes are replaced with extremely horrible 3D animation. There are good GBA ports of 4/5/6 too though. To me 9 is definitely the best of the three PSX games.

I'm talking about the 3D-modeled handheld ports. They're wretched.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

I'm talking about the 3D-modeled handheld ports. They're wretched.

There are 3D remakes of 4/5/6 on the GBA? :iiam:

EDIT: Too fast ;p

I didn't know they even did 5 and 6 on the DS, I thought it was just 3 and 4. 3 was horrendous but that was a crap game anyway, but I found 4 to be fine, though the difficulty was absurd at times.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Neo Rasa posted:

No I mean these:

[imagine it's a WHEN DID THIS BECOME HOTTER THAN THIS meme]

vs.

the PSP sprites for the complete FFIV are gorgeous

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I think Joel Schumacher must have directed that 3D remake.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

epitasis posted:

No I mean these:

[imagine it's a WHEN DID THIS BECOME HOTTER THAN THIS meme]

vs.

I am really conflicted when it comes to the remakes of the SNES and NES Final Fantasy games that are still in 2D. On one hand I really like the remade sprites for the monsters, on the other though the characters look really ugly to me. They remind me of the old school MMORPG the Realm Online:

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
Speaking of Final Fantasies on the PS4, do I recall correctly that VII and X/X-2 will be ported without any enchantments?

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

epitasis posted:

What's everyone's opinion on the PSP version of FFIV? Is it pretty faithful to Final Fantasy 2 on the SNES?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Obsurveyor posted:

What's everyone's opinion on the PSP version of FFIV? Is it pretty faithful to Final Fantasy 2 on the SNES?

I like it a lot, just don't expect much from The After Years sequel game. This was a super crappy episodic cell phone series in Japan released at an exorbitant price on the Wii in the US as well, but even included on the PSP disk it's very dull.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Szurumbur posted:

Speaking of Final Fantasies on the PS4, do I recall correctly that VII and X/X-2 will be ported without any enchantments?

There is only one version of FF7. I imagine X/X-2 will be the HD remaster with no additional frills. though I dunno. Hadn't heard it was being ported to PS4 before. Hopefully the other remasters also get on PS4 since I never bothered on PS3.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

There is only one version of FF7. I imagine X/X-2 will be the HD remaster with no additional frills. though I dunno. Hadn't heard it was being ported to PS4 before. Hopefully the other remasters also get on PS4 since I never bothered on PS3.

I don't think there are any other remasters?

Obsurveyor posted:

Yeah it's pretty much a 1:1 remake except considerably nicer sprites and I think they adjusted the difficulty early on to make the first few dungeons less of a slog.

Edit: Huh, apparently the original NA release removed all these extra character skills for some reason which explains why they seemed appropriate but unfamiliar.

Super No Vacancy fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Mar 2, 2015

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I'm sure if Type 0 is successful on PS4 we'll eventually see everything they made specifically for PS3 get ported too.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Huh. Those sprites are actually pretty nice. I haven't played FF4 or 6 since I was a kid... I wonder...

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
Anyone else experience framerate drops in Shadow of Mordor since the last patch? Loaded it up on Saturday and it was noticeably jumpy.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

epitasis posted:

I don't think there are any other remasters?

Not of Final Fantasy games, but there are remasters of other PS2 games. This is the PS4 thread and not the Final Fantasy one, after all. :v:

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I just wish Final Fantasy IX got more love :sigh:.

It's the one I recommend the most from the PS1 generation.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

the truth posted:

Same, but I would hate to see FF9 with a trophy system because I don't like being reminded I'm too much of a scrub to get Excalibur II.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Obsurveyor posted:

It's the best version of the game and includes a fast forward button for battles you don't want to deal work.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

the truth posted:

Me too, it looks the best and has my favourite story of the PS1 FF games. It has the least amount of punchable protagonists.

Is there a cutoff for when you can get the FF15 demo for pre-ordering FF0? Or can I just buy it the day before? I hate pre-ordering games and I typically only do it if there's a pre-load and I know I was going to get it anyway. But drat, an FF15 demo. It's been so long at this point I just have to know if that thing sucks.

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FetGKVJxLek

I want this so bad.

Undead Muppet
Apr 29, 2007

Has anyone had issues with the L3 button on the DS4?

In the last few days, L3 has stopped working correctly. When I try to sprint in CoD, it just sprints for about one second then stops. I can only get it to work if I actually hold down on the stick the entire time. It's a blue DS4 that I purchased in November to replace a DS4 that had a sticky R1 and and a broken R2.

Is this something I can repair myself or will I need to purchase a third DS4? I no longer have the receipt for the second one, and I also moved across the country about a week after I bought it.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

orange sky posted:

Have you done that/know someone who did that?

I'd love to know about the feasibility of it, and know if my account isn't going to be banned later. I reckon I'd also have to switch PSN Plus to that account?

I've done it on my EU (UK) PS4 and have had no problems switching between an EU and a U.S. account, depending on who has the best sales. It's pretty neat.

PM me if you need/want any help, if you go for it.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Is it normal that the left thumbstick of my controller is showing a lot of wear? I can see the hard plastic that's underneath it. I don't play that much, and even after years, my PS3 controller didn't show that much wear.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

beedeebee posted:

Is it normal that the left thumbstick of my controller is showing a lot of wear? I can see the hard plastic that's underneath it. I don't play that much, and even after years, my PS3 controller didn't show that much wear.

It's a defect in some of the controllers. Eventually happened to both of mine from launch day/pre-launch day. If you have a warranty I'd get it replaced.

I got one of the white ones not too long ago and the rubber feels a little different, I think they might have changed the formula.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Shoot this guy in the face.

Fallen Rib

Red Warrior posted:

Anyone else experience framerate drops in Shadow of Mordor since the last patch? Loaded it up on Saturday and it was noticeably jumpy.

I played through bright lord last week. First time it seemed okay, maybe chugged a bit with a lot of orcs on screen. The second time (this past Thursday) the frame rate took a total poo poo even with no enemies on screen or during cutscenes. I had it chalked up to streaming it via the DS4 Share button. :iiam:

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

ShadowedFlames posted:

I played through bright lord last week. First time it seemed okay, maybe chugged a bit with a lot of orcs on screen. The second time (this past Thursday) the frame rate took a total poo poo even with no enemies on screen or during cutscenes. I had it chalked up to streaming it via the DS4 Share button. :iiam:

I remember that happening a couple of times during my playthrough with no evident cause. Every time closing and restarting the game made things go back to normal.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
Back to FF chat for a sec, FF9 hasn't aged that well IMO. My favorites are FF6, FF7, FF8, and FFX. FF1 is great, but it has aged pretty badly as well.

I am really curious about FF Type 0 and BloodBorne. They both look pretty fun.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

PlayStation 4 REALLY has no games. :aaaaa:
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/gamestop-once-again-accepting-ps2-trade-ins/1100-6425619/

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
FF1 would be cool as hell right this second if everything went twice as fast and if your guys would attack a different target if their original one died before their turn.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I think if you do auto fight in FF4 PSP it speeds everything up. Which is fantastic.

Why Square didn't put a speed up option into all the IOS ports they made, I'll never know.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

FF1 would be cool as hell right this second if everything went twice as fast and if your guys would attack a different target if their original one died before their turn.

The ds remake of it had a lot of quality of life improvements like this. Leveling was faster too for less grinding.

What doesn't ff9 hold up? I'm about to start playing it on vita. Graphics look old but fine.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Settled for cheap rubber textured knobbed tops for DS4 sticks instead of using the defaults: http://www.dx.com/p/silicone-anti-skid-covers-for-ps4-3d-controller-grey-10pcs-286508 if the rest of the pad works you might as well do this. Grip is vastly improved and it helps during games, even when the fingers aren't cheetohdustfilthflarnfilth-greasy.

cat doter posted:

Is there a cutoff for when you can get the FF15 demo for pre-ordering FF0? Or can I just buy it the day before? I hate pre-ordering games and I typically only do it if there's a pre-load and I know I was going to get it anyway. But drat, an FF15 demo. It's been so long at this point I just have to know if that thing sucks.

All the copies shipped out for physical launch come with a code, that's confirmed.

e: FF1 MSX aged well just not in motion
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDZ4elVsarU

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Mar 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Morby posted:

FF9 hasn't aged that well IMO. My favorites are ... FF7 ...

Wrong!!! opposite actually!!

• Locked thread