Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

The star on the character select screen is for completion of the boss rush right? For some reason it won't unlock Samson's Hard Boss Rush, I've done it twice now, got the second item at the end and even gone on to complete the game and it's still not highlighted in red.

Troubleshooting questions: Did you accidentally transform into Lazarus or judas? Are you sure you selected hard mode? Did you use a seeded run?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

oh my god those useless piece of poo poo three red chest devil rooms can gently caress off

At least there's a chance you can get an item or two for free from them.

Angel rooms with two soul hearts or an eternal heart are a much bigger kick in the nuts.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

oh my god those useless piece of poo poo three red chest devil rooms can gently caress off

Those useless piece of poo poo three red chest devil rooms that have the biggest chance of giving you a Guppy item out of anything in the whole game, you mean?

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

Someday you will get three guppy items from them, and you will understand

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

Pivotal Lever posted:

I finally finished a hard mode Lost run, I scummed for floor 1 9 lives and got Mutant Spider in the treasure room, floor 2 devil deal was Brimstone, transformed into Guppy on Depths 1 part deux (thanks Forget Me Now!), the rest is history. I really should've gone for The Lamb with Brimstone Guppy but I feel much safer doing the chest, now I just need to scum for another Brimstone Guppy and then beat the boss rush. Feels good to win a Lost run finally.

Is everyone Command-Q'ing upon death to beat the Lost runs? After doing this (many times in one run) last night to beat Boss Rush mode, I cannot understand the idea of doing it totally clean, e.g. no restarting and no fast-quitting.

Pivotal Lever
Sep 9, 2003

I used restart scumming to get 9 lives but I didn't use alt + f4 or any tricks like that after. Floor 2 quad Brimstone and then Guppy a few floors later made it easy, I only died once after becoming Guppy.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I killed an Envy where every piece I destroyed dropped a half red heart, and I have no idea what caused it. I don't think it was a champion.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I did lost without reset or without scumming.

... because the Vita doesn't have a reset button. :smith:

SavTargaryen
Sep 11, 2011

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

My favorite is the three red chests with two of them being a teleport to devil room red chest. Favorite.

Lol. I just had the most ridiculous run. Cupid's Arrow on floor one, then lost contact on two. I was going pretty good, but my damage was low. Then I found Brimstone and Guppy's tail in a devil room. Next floor, hairball and paw, so now I am cat. Next floor, spoon bender. Homing, constantly fly producing brimstone beams were really, really satisfying. I grabbed quad shot in the Chest, too, which made it even more hilarious.

SavTargaryen fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Mar 3, 2015

ConorT
Sep 24, 2007

Cobalt60 posted:

Is everyone Command-Q'ing upon death to beat the Lost runs? After doing this (many times in one run) last night to beat Boss Rush mode, I cannot understand the idea of doing it totally clean, e.g. no restarting and no fast-quitting.

It's not so bad, you just need to get like lucky. I did crank the gamma up to negate curse of darkness which is probably cheating, though.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Vakal posted:

At least there's a chance you can get an item or two for free from them.

Angel rooms with two soul hearts or an eternal heart are a much bigger kick in the nuts.

I like the three red chest and soul heart deals. :shrug: Sometimes the chests backfire, but free health is never unappreciated. Unless you're the Lost. The chests are especially nice for when you want angel rooms to spawn and so don't want to take any devil deals. I'd much rather have some soul/evil hearts than get Brother Bobby or something, anyway.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I got the scapular+sharp plug in an angel room and ran into the blue fire to reduce my hp to half a heart but the scapular didn't activate. I had to go to womb I with 1 heart and died. What went wrong?

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Tetracube posted:

I got the scapular+sharp plug in an angel room and ran into the blue fire to reduce my hp to half a heart but the scapular didn't activate. I had to go to womb I with 1 heart and died. What went wrong?

You needed to leave the room first to activate scapular maybe?

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Cobalt60 posted:

This is because you are not worthy.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I had a devil room with 3 red chests where all 3 chests teleported me to the devil room.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

BJPaskoff posted:

I killed an Envy where every piece I destroyed dropped a half red heart, and I have no idea what caused it. I don't think it was a champion.

I think the Magic Scab gives ordinary monsters a chance to drop a half heart. It's not mentioned on the wiki, but I've seen it happen in a few different games and I'm pretty sure Magic Scab was the one item I had in all of them.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Had a pretty fun Judas run just now. Got Money=Power, Proptosis and some other dmg ups. Then I saw Soy Milk, thought "hey, what the hell" and picked it up. Too bad I forgot that Proptosis makes that pretty drat short range. Still, it was alright with Coal. And then I saw Brimstone on Womb I. "Yay! Oh wait, Soy Milk Brim? :stonk:" Turned out it wasn't too bad. Then I became Guppy and found Tammy's Head. :allears:

quote:

Seed: EJT8 QGAZ
Judas
The Book of Belial, Money = Power, A Pony, The Book of Belial, Proptosis, Tooth Picks, A Lump of Coal, The Small Rock, PHD, Synthoil, Whore of Babylon, Soy Milk, Wooden Spoon, Guppy's Hairball, Guppy's Collar, Lil' Brimstone, There's Options, Latch Key, Dry Baby, Distant Admiration, The Polaroid, Brimstone, Magic Mushroom, The Nail, The Book of Belial, The Nail, Guppy's Head, Tammy's Head, Guppy's Head, The Nail, Tammy's Head, Guppy's Tail, Headless Baby, The Peeper, Virgo, Cursed Eye, Steam Sale, Rainbow Baby, Cricket's Body, Bob's Curse

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

omeg posted:

Had a pretty fun Judas run just now. Got Money=Power, Proptosis and some other dmg ups. Then I saw Soy Milk, thought "hey, what the hell" and picked it up. Too bad I forgot that Proptosis makes that pretty drat short range. Still, it was alright with Coal. And then I saw Brimstone on Womb I. "Yay! Oh wait, Soy Milk Brim? :stonk:" Turned out it wasn't too bad. Then I became Guppy and found Tammy's Head. :allears:

Which item's making the beams zig-zag like that?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

It's his trinket, the little white worm in the bottom left. I forget what it's called.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Wiggle Worm.

edit: No wait, Hook Worm. Sorry I get the two confused a lot.

SavTargaryen
Sep 11, 2011
Curse of the Lost on the Dark Room is some poo poo. Luckily, I had another brokenly overpowered run for it. Guppy, Epic Fetus, and Mr. Mega kind of make everything into 'lol get hosed room'

Scorpion 3-2
Apr 2, 2011

Hyphen-ated posted:

I just played in a tournament and it was really good and fun.
The best race was this one from the finals:
http://www.twitch.tv/problemsirl/v/3849820?t=183m30s
(I set a race pb and I've done like 350+ races)

That was a pretty insane combo made me watch the rest of the final. The last round was intense.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

thank god I'm finally free

Taratang
Sep 4, 2002

Grand Master
Good for you, EU PS4 is still stuck on 1.01 so godhead (and therefore platinum god) is unattainable :(

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006
So I just finished unlocking everything, and I have a good handful of items I've never picked up. Perhaps worse, I have only around 650 coins in the donation machine.

Is there some sneak way to farm coins? I suppose for the unseen items, it's best to just setup an infinite reroll run, with angel rooms, and hope for the best?

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry
Run Azazel for the first few floors, grab up any coins and reset once you get your first key. You get something like 10-20 a run.

And the infinite rerolls is the way to go, no doubt.

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

TheModernAmerican posted:

Run Azazel for the first few floors, grab up any coins and reset once you get your first key. You get something like 10-20 a run.

And the infinite rerolls is the way to go, no doubt.

Ugh, unless the first three Azazel runs bottom out the donation machine after 1-2 coins. That's honestly a loving obnoxious feature.

Maybe I'll try again later...

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Cobalt60 posted:

Ugh, unless the first three Azazel runs bottom out the donation machine after 1-2 coins. That's honestly a loving obnoxious feature.

Maybe I'll try again later...

This is why you were supposed to do it as you played. Every now and then you'll find a run where you can put in 70+ coins and you happen to have piggy bank + swallowed penny + humble bundle

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

Gibbo posted:

This is why you were supposed to do it as you played. Every now and then you'll find a run where you can put in 70+ coins and you happen to have piggy bank + swallowed penny + humble bundle

Yeah, I did this throughout, and only "withdrew" a couple times to help during a couple boss rush runs. Maybe it's because I set it to "hard" since the beginning? Whatever the reason, the prospect of farming 300 more coins is really unappealing just to get Platinum and Real Platinum...

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

Cobalt60 posted:

So I just finished unlocking everything, and I have a good handful of items I've never picked up. Perhaps worse, I have only around 650 coins in the donation machine.

Is there some sneak way to farm coins? I suppose for the unseen items, it's best to just setup an infinite reroll run, with angel rooms, and hope for the best?

Did you blow up the machine at some point? Because you have to get the counter to 999 to unlock one of the items.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Cobalt60 posted:

Yeah, I did this throughout, and only "withdrew" a couple times to help during a couple boss rush runs. Maybe it's because I set it to "hard" since the beginning? Whatever the reason, the prospect of farming 300 more coins is really unappealing just to get Platinum and Real Platinum...

Just play the game to have fun and fill the donation machine in the process...?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Yeah, just play the game. It's not that far off optimal farming and is about a thousand times more fun.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

One time the donation machine took nearly 100 coins off me before breaking down. It almost made up for the dozens of times it took two or three and then told me to gently caress off. Almost.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
Accidentally went to Sheol over Cathedral on a Guppy run.

:shepicide:

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

So my first attempt at Waka Waka didn't go over well. My second attempt... I got Abaddon (I mistook it for the Pentagram, but hey, I ain't complaining), Book of Belial, ???'s Head (whatever the item is actually called), the Pact in a Curse room, and some other goodies. I was also offered the Bible in a shop, but thought that'd be overkill.

I don't understand what everyone's problem with Dingle is. Gurdy Jr. on the other hand, can go eat a dick.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

Poonerman posted:

Wait until you make that mistake during a race.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Codiekitty posted:

I don't understand what everyone's problem with Dingle is. Gurdy Jr. on the other hand, can go eat a dick.

With gurdy jr you just want to stay straight across from it then dodge when he goes sliding then repeat. Easy boss when you know that, it's when there's multiple of him it can get kind of rough.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Poonerman posted:

I accidentally picked the Polaroid over the Negative when I only needed to beat the dark room with the lost on a 9 lives/Holy Mantle/Brim/Guppy run.

Pivotal Lever
Sep 9, 2003

dude789 posted:

I accidentally picked the Polaroid over the Negative when I only needed to beat the dark room with the lost on a 9 lives/Holy Mantle/Brim/Guppy run.

I would've kicked my computer myself into outer space, goddamn.

I only have the Dark Room path and Boss Rush left for The Lost. To break up the monotony of endless lost runs, I set a goal for myself to streak every non-lost character. My order for the first 5 is this: Eden -> ??? -> Judas -> Maggy -> Lazarus. I figure the 5 remaining characters are easy enough to streak in any order. This game is much less stressful to streak than DC:SS, somehow I got a a 9 streak in that game so I think I can get a 10 streak in rebirth. I hope they add some streak achievements in the DLC (without The Lost as a requirement).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SavTargaryen
Sep 11, 2011
So uh. Soooooo. Let's say you're doing Suicide King. And let's say you've managed to get it pretty stacked and are guppy, so basically you're just letting your flies one shot everything. Then you see an astrological sign and you think, self, that's totally Capricorn. Good find, self.

Libra with ipecac and that setup is not recommended unless you want to personally experience what it's like to get shelled.