Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

NihilismNow posted:

Why is metal and glass considered high end when they are clearly inferior materials to make a phone out of? Plastic is lighter, deals with shocks better, cheaper, doesn't block radio signals and returns to its original form after it has been bent. Who are all these people who insist on more glass on their phone that can break?

Metal and glass feel and look nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Reverse Centaur posted:

I dunno, but Samsung obviously felt like being "the cheap looking phone" was causing them to lose market share. I always have a case personally so I almost feel like I shouldn't buy an HTC One or whatever since it's such a waste.

On that note, time to check out some cyber babe... what the heck !

I only read it for the vlogs

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
A load of photos/video taken with the HTC One m9's new 20mpx camera.

The Verge posted:

The software is not final.

The above proviso should be kept at the front of your mind when perusing the following images. HTC tells me that it's pushing out updates to the One M9 on a daily basis and 95 percent of their content is camera-related. The Taiwanese company has heard a chorus of discontent with its latest camera echoing throughout early previews and is working hard to improve the quality of its images. That being said, the HTC One M9 is expected to launch in mid-March in Taiwan, so we're only a couple of weeks away from the release software — what we are looking at here isn't too far off from what the final retail units will be able to produce.

The overwhelming reason for why I found myself disappointed with the One M9 this past week was its camera. It works quickly, impressively so. But the pictures that come out of it just aren't good enough. Things you'll see below include excessive chromatic noise, blown-out highlights, and unacceptably poor results in low light. HTC is the company that spent two years evangelizing the benefit of larger pixels for capturing more light — that's the big selling point behind its lower-resolution UltraPixel camera — and now it's leapt in the exact opposite direction by cramming in 20 million smaller pixels to obtain greater resolution. I'm not alone in suspecting that using the front-facing UltraPixel camera on this phone will be a better bet than its proper camera on the back.

e: #1 on list of great places for a random dude to be filming: playground

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
My Galaxy S5's (not the active, AT&T if that makes a difference) battery isn't holding a charge as much as I'd like it to. I'd like to get an extended battery for it. I have a case for it, so I'd *prefer* to not have to have to get a battery that would require a new case, but if it's worth it, I'd do it. What's the best extended battery on the market right now?

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

isndl posted:

Ikea will be selling Qi enabled furniture starting mid-April. UK and online only to start it looks like, and they'll have charging covers for iPhones and Samsungs.

loving Qi

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I just got an Ikea desk today, better return it and get a Qi enabled one!

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

seiferguy posted:

My Galaxy S5's (not the active, AT&T if that makes a difference) battery isn't holding a charge as much as I'd like it to. I'd like to get an extended battery for it. I have a case for it, so I'd *prefer* to not have to have to get a battery that would require a new case, but if it's worth it, I'd do it. What's the best extended battery on the market right now?

Choose one: stock battery with stock case or extended battery with bigger case.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

seiferguy posted:

I'm also on a stock S5 on AT&T. That 4.4.4 "upgrade" we got a few weeks ago really hosed some poo poo up. Google Now opens when you press the home button, something in "Android System" is eating battery life, and it still isn't Lollipop. I'd suggest restarting your phone every other day until a patch is released.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Google Now is still being stupid and thinking my work location is not where Maps knows it is. Is there any way to fix this? If not, it's off to the fun Google Groups I go.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

hooah posted:

Google Now is still being stupid and thinking my work location is not where Maps knows it is. Is there any way to fix this? If not, it's off to the fun Google Groups I go.

The address is set correctly in the Google Now settings?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Vykk.Draygo posted:

The address is set correctly in the Google Now settings?

Yes. Just the card is wrong, and when I try to edit the location through the card, it can't find the intersection I have saved as my work location.

Cometa Rossa
Oct 23, 2008

I would crawl ass-naked over a sea of broken glass just to kiss a dick
I just bought a 16GB miniSD card for my Galaxy Ace 2. I'm a technologically illiterate dumbass baby, is there any way to install apps to the card instead of the phone's nearly-full storage?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Cometa Rossa posted:

I just bought a 16GB miniSD card for my Galaxy Ace 2. I'm a technologically illiterate dumbass baby, is there any way to install apps to the card instead of the phone's nearly-full storage?

If you go to Apps/Application Manager/whatever you might see a Move to SD Card option, but unless you know your card has a tolerable random write rate it's probably not worth it.

Keep in mind not even Samsung is sticking out the whole SD Card slot thing going forward (partly because Google doesn't really want to give people the option anymore). Expect that most apps, even those that currently offer "Move to SD", will take it away from you in the next few months regardless of your preferences.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Mine constantly asks if I want to change my work location to my parents' house despite me dutifully going to work every day and telling it no every time.

the heat goes wrong
Dec 31, 2005
I´m watching you...

Cometa Rossa posted:

Download "Apps 2 SD". It creates a list of all the apps you can move to SD card. Beats going thru your apps one-by-one trying to find out which ones allow you to move them.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

It's googles suggestion to move back to your parents. Mine keeps saying that I'm at gym when I'm buying groceries so I ended disabling it.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Guillermus posted:

It's googles suggestion to move back to your parents. Mine keeps saying that I'm at gym when I'm buying groceries so I ended disabling it.
Well... I guess if that's what Google thinks... :(

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

LastInLine posted:

Well... I guess if that's what Google thinks... :(

Bills suck anyway. Mooch forever

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
So is there a consensus on what the best Android phone on VZW is right now? Can I get whatever the latest Nexus is from Google Play and put it on my account? I've got an S4 that's really starting to get rough around the edges. I thought I'd wait for the S6 but it looks like it's going to cost a shitload and it doesn't seem all that great, plus I love that i've got root on my current S4 so I've made touchwiz and crapware basically disappear. I'm guessing the S6 is going to be locked down from here to the ends of the Earth so I can experience The Magic of Touchwiz.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
My favorite useless google now feature is the parking spot card. Thanks to google now, I can see that I parked my car somewhere in this large bubble that covers 3 streets! Wow thanks google!!

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

axeil posted:

So is there a consensus on what the best Android phone on VZW is right now? Can I get whatever the latest Nexus is from Google Play and put it on my account? I've got an S4 that's really starting to get rough around the edges. I thought I'd wait for the S6 but it looks like it's going to cost a shitload and it doesn't seem all that great, plus I love that i've got root on my current S4 so I've made touchwiz and crapware basically disappear. I'm guessing the S6 is going to be locked down from here to the ends of the Earth so I can experience The Magic of Touchwiz.

You could get a moto x, droid turbo (which is basically a better, but more expensive moto x), or a nexus 6. The nexus 6 can only be bought through google or motorola. I'd just get the droid turbo, it has amazing battery life, a good camera, and doesn't have a lot of junk on it.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

axeil posted:

Probably the droid turbo.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

HolyDukeNukem posted:

You could get a moto x, droid turbo (which is basically a better, but more expensive moto x), or a nexus 6. The nexus 6 can only be bought through google or motorola. I'd just get the droid turbo, it has amazing battery life, a good camera, and doesn't have a lot of junk on it.

Any word on when the Turbo is getting Android 5.0? That's the only thing holding me back from getting one as it seems like a good phone.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

My favorite useless google now feature is the parking spot card. Thanks to google now, I can see that I parked my car somewhere in this large bubble that covers 3 streets! Wow thanks google!!
I really hope someone defends this because I've been trying to come up with a way to even theoretically use this card and I haven't come up with a way. It would have to involve drinking and a multiple uses of public transportation but then I wonder whether or not it would be able to distinguish the secondary transportation from another car ride.

It's the most baffling thing. It tells me I'm parked at work when it knows I'm at work with the zoom level set at literally a circle five miles in diameter. How could this possibly be of any of use to anyone?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

LastInLine posted:

I really hope someone defends this because I've been trying to come up with a way to even theoretically use this card and I haven't come up with a way. It would have to involve drinking and a multiple uses of public transportation but then I wonder whether or not it would be able to distinguish the secondary transportation from another car ride.

It's the most baffling thing. It tells me I'm parked at work when it knows I'm at work with the zoom level set at literally a circle five miles in diameter. How could this possibly be of any of use to anyone?

The only thing I can think of, is city parking. I know a friend of mine that went into NYC to take the NYPD test and forgot where he parked his car. Walked around for like 2 hours before finding it. I guess the card would have helped him out in that specific instance, but I can't think of anything else.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

LastInLine posted:

My circle is about 60 feet in diameter but it's useless in my city since every place has a parking lot or garage in front of it.

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

axeil posted:

Any word on when the Turbo is getting Android 5.0? That's the only thing holding me back from getting one as it seems like a good phone.

People in here were mentioning that Motorola was about to push out 5.0 but Google is about to release 5.1 and Motorola didn't want to restart the process for getting it approved. So they delayed it for Android 5.1

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

HolyDukeNukem posted:

People in here were mentioning that Motorola was about to push out 5.0 but Google is about to release 5.1 and Motorola didn't want to restart the process for getting it approved. So they delayed it for Android 5.1

Ah okay. Are Motorola and VZW good at getting updates out? I've only ever had Samsung/VZW Android Phones (S4, VZW Gnex and the :lol: Droid Charge) and the update speed is atrocious. I ended up rooting/unlocking my S4 just so I could load stuff myself.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

axeil posted:

Ah okay. Are Motorola and VZW good at getting updates out? I've only ever had Samsung/VZW Android Phones (S4, VZW Gnex and the :lol: Droid Charge) and the update speed is atrocious. I ended up rooting/unlocking my S4 just so I could load stuff myself.

Motorola has been better lately. It's fairly new for them though - they never used to be this "good" about updates.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Motorola has been better lately. It's fairly new for them though - they never used to be this "good" about updates.

Thanks for all the info. One last question, how are the antennas on the Turbo? Where I work my phone is constantly losing LTE and going down to 3G or even 1x :gonk: and it absolutely kills my battery. Plus the thing is nearly unusable in the Metro system.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

If by good you mean just like everyone else (except maybe LG, they came out of left field), then yeah everybody is kind of all over the map in terms of Lollipop updates and even then, Motorola and the Nexus 5 have had some pretty major issues with it.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Lollipop really isn't a good indicator of update speed for the OEMs. Between Google rapidly pulling/releasing updates and the issues many phones have had with it, many companies seem to be hesitant to push it out too quickly.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

axeil posted:

Thanks for all the info. One last question, how are the antennas on the Turbo? Where I work my phone is constantly losing LTE and going down to 3G or even 1x :gonk: and it absolutely kills my battery. Plus the thing is nearly unusable in the Metro system.

If you're talking about the DC metro my turbo gets pretty good signal, depending on which line/station obviously.

In general Motorola phones have very good antennas, though.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I find the accuracy of the parking Google Now card to vary greatly. Sometimes it's like 30 feet and other times its hundreds of feet.

Of course this means you can't depend on it, but I guess as a last resort it's OK.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

this_is_hard posted:

If you're talking about the DC metro my turbo gets pretty good signal, depending on which line/station obviously.

In general Motorola phones have very good antennas, though.

Oh nice. I'm an Orange Line person and I don't think I've ever had 3G service down there.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Thermopyle posted:

I find the accuracy of the parking Google Now card to vary greatly. Sometimes it's like 30 feet and other times its hundreds of feet.

Of course this means you can't depend on it, but I guess as a last resort it's OK.

I commute by train and it's always telling me I'm parked at the World Train Center. I like to imagine I'm in the Simpson's episode where that happens to Homer's car.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

The only thing I can think of, is city parking. I know a friend of mine that went into NYC to take the NYPD test and forgot where he parked his car. Walked around for like 2 hours before finding it. I guess the card would have helped him out in that specific instance, but I can't think of anything else.

Most big cities have multi-level parking either underground or stacked high. I usually can't even get a cellular signal where I park because I'm three storeys underneath a tower.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Reverse Centaur posted:

Most big cities have multi-level parking either underground or stacked high. I usually can't even get a cellular signal where I park because I'm three storeys underneath a tower.

Yeah, who knows. He parked it on some random side street somewhere in Brooklyn irrc.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

I commute by train and it's always telling me I'm parked at the World Train Center. I like to imagine I'm in the Simpson's episode where that happens to Homer's car.

Is that the episode where he drives off with the boot on his car?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Hughmoris posted:

Is that the episode where he drives off with the boot on his car?

Yes.

axeil posted:

According to some random slickdeals person Best Buy is selling the Droid Turbo for $99 on contract + you get a $150 Best buy giftcard this week or something. Pretty sweet deal if you can renew your contract.
http://slickdeals.net/f/7699743-droid-turbo-99-150-gift-card-at-best-buy-instore-only-with-contract?v=1