Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
Another article about everyone's favourite topic, marriage in Israel: NPR

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I really hope that this speech controversy somehow costs Bibi his job come election time, but I'm sure that's a long shot. Would just be horribly funny and ironic.

Larry_Mullet
Sep 8, 2012
I would have lol'd my dick off if Obama shot down Israeli jets, that would have owned so hard

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
Instead of shooting the planes down we could just gift them a few F-35s.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

Instead of shooting the planes down we could just gift them a few F-35s.

Well... now that you mention it...

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Netanyahu's AIPAC speech was today, and he apparently brought charts. :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_s7Vnb35eI

I don't have time to watch it right now but apparently he showed this map about Iran's "tentacles of terror" reaching across "five continents"

bpower
Feb 19, 2011
Iraqis are taking back Tikrit from Isis. The operation is being lead by a senior commander from Iran's Revolutionary Guard. Lets all take a moment to thank Civilization's greatest ally in the region.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Main Paineframe posted:

I don't have time to watch it right now but apparently he showed this map about Iran's "tentacles of terror" reaching across "five continents"

God I hope tentacles of terror becomes a thing.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

quote:

He got 28 standing ovations in 47 minutes
Bleh. How do you even fit that much clapping in between the talking?

Tomorrow's basically D-Day for the big ol' speech. Hope it's as silly as this.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Three Israeli businessmen were arrested for smuggling tunnel material to Hamas earlier this month. The gag order has just been removed. One of the businessmen lives in Bivtahim, a small town near Gaza. Residents of the area are in shock that someone from their own community would provide aid to Hamas.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I don't understand how anyone can read the Press Release and not burst out laughing. It's like reading a 19th-century newspaper demonizing the native americans in how blatant it is.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Antisemite!

What would you do!?

Submit to interdiction, full pips to shields, then warp out again. That's what I do.

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

Xandu posted:

Debate & Discussion: We tortured some folks > I/P: Ahmadinejad Death Tentacle Rape Whorehouse

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

MonsieurChoc posted:

I don't understand how anyone can read the Press Release and not burst out laughing. It's like reading a 19th-century newspaper demonizing the native americans in how blatant it is.

The best part is that the octopus/tentacles thing is a very well known tactic used by actual anti-semites to describe Jews and how their tentacles reach out and grab every financial institution.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Miftan posted:

The best part is that the octopus/tentacles thing is a very well known tactic used by actual anti-semites to describe Jews and how their tentacles reach out and grab every financial institution.

I was talking about the metal smuggleing, which was described as rebuilding rockets and tunnels and levators to take kidnapping victims and not, you know, rebuilding the entire country that was destroyed during the alst war. But Bibi making a fool of himself in front of the entire world stage will never stop being funny. In that awkward "He's a real-life serial-killer" way.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

bpower posted:

Iraqis are taking back Tikrit from Isis. The operation is being lead by a senior commander from Iran's Revolutionary Guard. Lets all take a moment to thank Civilization's greatest ally in the region.

Let's be honest, though, this is not going to end well. The Badr Brigade are pretty seriously evil bastards, and the other militias taking part, like Kata'ib Hezbollah, are no better.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Darth Walrus posted:

Let's be honest, though, this is not going to end well. The Badr Brigade are pretty seriously evil bastards, and the other militias taking part, like Kata'ib Hezbollah, are no better.

I'm not being ironic, but I'm also not attached to this argument: Saddam Hussein is sounding better and better daily.

I mean, all the things we accused him of (aside from the demonstrably false poo poo, like WMD programs): Kurdish genocide, rape rooms (equivalent to sex slavery) Sunni chauvinism, are all well matched so far by ISIS. And deposing Saddam created a power vacuum where we now have to defend other worthless bastards like Assad, lest the Caliphate advance even further.

Saddam was a monster, but he kept order and was well-contained. Now we have monsters who promise neither.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
This one's for MIGF:

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

emanresu tnuocca posted:

This one's for MIGF:

It's for all of us

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

emanresu tnuocca posted:

This one's for MIGF:

Even while squatting naked in an alley, taking a poo poo, apparently suffering from hepatitis, I don't remember life itself, and the danger to it from a nuclear Iran.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
Looking at Netanyahu sources like press releases and speeches, I'm still a little unclear: could someone describe his preferred Iran strategy? Is it basically status quo, including sanctions and targeted killing of scientists, towards an Iran without even peaceful nuclear power plants?

Is the major disagreement between US and Israel that the US is fine with a peaceful nuclear program?

A little confused by all the showy rhetoric.

Liberal_L33t
Apr 9, 2005

by WE B Boo-ourgeois

William Bear posted:

Looking at Netanyahu sources like press releases and speeches, I'm still a little unclear: could someone describe his preferred Iran strategy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tj9M34DzAKo

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

emanresu tnuocca posted:

This one's for MIGF:

Don't have a cow man *plop*

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

William Bear posted:

Looking at Netanyahu sources like press releases and speeches, I'm still a little unclear: could someone describe his preferred Iran strategy? Is it basically status quo, including sanctions and targeted killing of scientists, towards an Iran without even peaceful nuclear power plants?

Is the major disagreement between US and Israel that the US is fine with a peaceful nuclear program?

A little confused by all the showy rhetoric.

Netanyahu's preferred plan is being aggressive toward Iran. It's somewhere between "status quo" and "status quo but with more aggressive posturing, sanctions, and military threats".

The major disagreement between the US and Israel is that the US is moving toward a peaceful deal with Iran. Iran has reached out toward the US over the last year or two, suggesting they'd be open to cutting a peaceful deal and calming relations between our countries. Since the "status quo" has been largely ineffective at dissuading Iran from pursuing a nuclear program, and since we're currently cooperating with Iran against ISIS, the US has expressed its willingness to discuss loosening sanctions and opening up cooperation in exchange for Iran backing down on nuclear and other sticking points.

All in all, the real disagreement probably stems from the domestic political situation in each country - which is also why there's so much showy rhetoric flying around. Netanyahu is a right-wing politician who has basically built his political career on a "tough on Israel's enemies" foreign policy, and is currently up for election; giving speeches about how only he can protect Israel from evil Iran and murderous terrorists is basically the core of his campaign and political career (in fact, there's suspicion that Netanyahu is using this to circumvent an Israeli restrictions on giving campaign speeches so close to the elections). Obama doesn't really want to get drawn into military confrontation with Iran, since Americans are war-weary right now and one major factor in his leap to the presidency was his not being involved in his predecessors' wars; in addition, he doesn't really like this chaos in the Middle East, he'd like to build a legacy by getting us a new friend, and Iran is at least a stable partner to help us deal with ISIS even if we don't like them very much and don't trust their long-term goals. Boehner is fresh from elections in which his party made significant gains at the expense of the Dems, and the Republicans are now quite strong and itching to show it off; previous sanctions against Iran have been overwhelmingly popular in Congress and passed with wide bipartisan support, and the American people aren't too friendly to Iran, so Boehner is using this opportunity to purposely pick a big fight on what he thought would be an "easy" issue in order to show Obama who's boss. It's not really about Iran - it's about the political ambitions of each of the parties involved and how they're using Iran and each other to fulfill them.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Main Paineframe posted:

When speaking to Israelis in Hebrew Netanyahu is usually so severe and melodramatic, turns out he keeps his A game to his AIPAC cronies, would have never imagined he could be so entertaining and have the same energies as a Club Med instructor, looks like everyone was having some much fun "California anyone? I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!! Let's bring down the house like this was a four story building in Gaza everybody!". Too funny, if he acted like this in Israel people would have criticized him for acting like a clown.

Really I'm coming to realize that one of the saddest thing about Netanyahu being the eternal prime minister of Israel is that we've missed out on a rather charismatic sitcom leading man, I mean, other than the whole butchering of innocent people and annexing their lands aspects of him being the eternal prime minister.

Also, the standing ovation for Sarah, lmao.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I hope Bibi brings his bomb chart to Congress

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Transcript of Bibi's speech to AIPAC. Read fast if you're gonna read it, because his speech to Congress starts in 15 minutes and that's gonna be way funnier.

http://www.jpost.com/Israel-News/Politics-And-Diplomacy/Full-text-of-PM-Netanyahus-speech-to-AIPAC-392701

His comment that "nobody allies with the weak", though, seems striking considering how little real support Palestine has been able to obtain. Perhaps he believes that applies there as well.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Main Paineframe posted:

His comment that "nobody allies with the weak", though, seems striking considering how little real support Palestine has been able to obtain. Perhaps he believes that applies there as well.

Ironic considering the foundation story of Israel.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Disinterested posted:

Ironic considering the foundation story of Israel.

Not really. The Yishuv "proved itself" through joining and aiding the Allied efforts, as well as helping the British, until they turned back on the British and helped make it costly for them to stay. The Declaration of Independence came after about a year of a civil war where the Zionists held ground and even expanded the Yishuv. If anything it's evidence for his point.

The bigger context is that this mirrors explicit statements made by Bennett in the debate on Thursday. Either they have the same copywritesr or he was trying to pander to Bennett's electorate.

ETA: By the way, tonight is literally the first night of state-sponsored TV ads in Israel. I'm sure the timing was pure coincidence, though. :allears:

Absurd Alhazred fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Mar 3, 2015

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Not really. The Yishuv "proved itself" through joining and aiding the Allied efforts, as well as helping the British, until they turned back on the British and helped make it costly for them to stay. The Declaration of Independence came after about a year of a civil war where the Zionists held ground and even expanded the Yishuv. If anything it's evidence for his point.

The bigger context is that this mirrors explicit statements made by Bennett in the debate on Thursday. Either they have the same copywritesr or he was trying to pander to Bennett's electorate.

Although some historiography argues that the British were out to help the strong Jewish side, I believe most of the historiography shows that at best British assistance for Israel was given in large part because of racist assumptions of secret Jewish power (hi Lloyd George), while the Zionists were really quite weak.

In any event, the Zionist movement could never have achieved Israel as it exists today without superpower assistance - it was too weak to do so, and only made strong enough with help.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Xandu posted:

He talked about Iran's tentacles in his speech just now as well.

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Not really. The Yishuv "proved itself" through joining and aiding the Allied efforts, as well as helping the British, until they turned back on the British and helped make it costly for them to stay. The Declaration of Independence came after about a year of a civil war where the Zionists held ground and even expanded the Yishuv. If anything it's evidence for his point.:

Also, Israel won several big wars before the US started backing them in any official capacity.

bpower
Feb 19, 2011
Well that was substance free. Iran bad, deal bad.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Ed: Never mind.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Ironic that chickenshit would whine about the contents of the possible treaty not being revealed to the public, did anyone get to see the cease fire agreement that was signed after Protective Edge?

Edit: In the meanwhile, earlier today Kahanist shitfuckers led by Baruch Marzel attacked MK Haneen Zoabi and the press advisor to the Joint Arab List - http://972mag.com/watch-rightists-attack-palestinian-mk-zoabi-and-staffer-at-panel/103670/ reportedly the police chose not to show up and arrest the shitfuckers.

EditX2: Haha Bibs

quote:

“In this deadly 'Game of Thrones,' there is no place for America or for Israel. No place for Christians, Jews or Muslims. ...So when it comes to Iran or ISIS the enemy of your enemy is your enemy," he said.

emanresu tnuocca fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Mar 3, 2015

OwlBot 2000
Jun 1, 2009
His speech was well-received and may sway enough democrats to form a veto-proof majority in favor of stopping Iran's nuclear ambitions.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

OwlBot 2000 posted:

His speech was well-received and may sway enough democrats to form a veto-proof majority in favor of stopping Iran's nuclear ambitions.
Not if Nancy Pelosi has anything to say about it.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

OwlBot 2000 posted:

This literally the opposite of what actually happened.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
somebody's wrong :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bpower
Feb 19, 2011

OwlBot 2000 posted:

There's a 100% majority in favour of stopping Iran's nuclear ambitions. The question is how best to achieve that in the real world.

• Locked thread