Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

axeil posted:

Any word on when the Turbo is getting Android 5.0? That's the only thing holding me back from getting one as it seems like a good phone.

Just run some apps that randomly drain your battery, same effect as 5.0 really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
With all the problems that 5.0 has been having I'm not sure I want my Turbo to upgrade.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Still having no Lollipop issues here.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

dissss posted:

Same

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

N6 owners: any of you run into any issues that weren't around when you first bought the phone? Wondering if you've seen anything a new buyer should be aware of.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

dissss posted:

Same

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...

WugLyfe posted:

N6 owners: any of you run into any issues that weren't around when you first bought the phone? Wondering if you've seen anything a new buyer should be aware of.

Month and a half later or so it's still running flawlessly. Lollipop is great, it's fast and smooth all around. Beautiful display, no burn in running auto at half.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Great stories, guys! :thumbsup:

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

mobby_6kl posted:

Same.

Alleged Lollipop problems are a smear campaign by shadowy Big KitKat advocates.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

mobby_6kl posted:

It's better than hearing about sour grapes from everyone who doesn't have the update yet.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

butt dickus posted:

It's better than hearing about sour grapes from everyone who doesn't have the update yet.

Lollipop on my G 2014 and Nexus 5 was terrible and it's been brought up several times before in this thread and is a pretty huge concern on XDA and reddit. It's kind of funny though that the Nexus 5 is one of the biggest problem children for the update but I haven't heard a lick about the LG phones having issues.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Lblitzer posted:

XDA and reddit.
Two communities full of even bigger spergs than we have here, one of which is dedicated to breaking their devices. Lollipop works great on my 5.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Lollipop has been giving me random bootloops for no loving reason on my 1.5y/o N5, and it's not a hardware issue. Been thinking about the N6, but I'd like to know if it's going to last me more than a year before I spend $650 on one.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

WugLyfe posted:

Lollipop has been giving me random bootloops for no loving reason on my 1.5y/o N5, and it's not a hardware issue.
You are mistaken, Lollipop is perfect.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

butt dickus posted:

Lollipop works great on my 5.

Ditto. Are you locked with OTA update or unlocked/rooted with the lrx22c image?

I'm the latter and have had no issues whatsoever.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

butt dickus posted:

Two communities full of even bigger spergs than we have here, one of which is dedicated to breaking their devices. Lollipop works great on my 5.

That's debatable but my point still stands that they're fairly common issues and congrats to you I guess.

http://www.androidauthority.com/fix-lollipops-massive-memory-leak-coming-soon-ish-577101/

http://www.geeksnack.com/2015/01/30/nexus-5-bugs-lollipop-fix/

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/1...-issue-tracker/

https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=79729

http://www.gsmarena.com/android_lollipop_has_a_memory_leak_bug_fix_is_on_the_way-news-10622.php

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
Some people have issues and some people don't. It doesn't have to be something y'all fight over every time it's brought up.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

nerve posted:

It doesn't have to be something y'all fight over every time it's brought up.
I'm not sure you fully grasp the spirit of this thread.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Blitter posted:

Ditto. Are you locked with OTA update or unlocked/rooted with the lrx22c image?
I have not intentionally broken my primary communications device.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

butt dickus posted:

Why is rooting breaking? I can see an argument for installing poo poo that requires root privileges thereafter qualifying as breaking, but not rooting I'm and if itself, especially on a Nexus.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

hooah posted:

Why is rooting breaking? I can see an argument for installing poo poo that requires root privileges thereafter qualifying as breaking, but not rooting I'm and if itself, especially on a Nexus.

Well, I think even the act of rooting keeps a lollipop device from accepting OTAs since the update is done in a binary blob and requires that the figerprint of the system image matches what is expected.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

bull3964 posted:

Well, I think even the act of rooting keeps a lollipop device from accepting OTAs since the update is done in a binary blob and requires that the figerprint of the system image matches what is expected.

It does stop OTAs, which is fine for me, as I'd rather evaluate and apply updates to my own schedule.

Please, let's have a nice retarded discussion about nonexistent security issues I've created by "breaking" my phone. RZA you available with the usual hyperbole, and examples of security theater?

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

NihilismNow posted:

Amen. Hate lollipop battery life

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

NihilismNow posted:

Well my Google Play Services on my S4 randomly drains a third of my battery a day so I think I'm already there! :v:

I've also rooted every Android phone I've owned so I'm a confirmed Phone Breaker.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
100% of complaints about lollipop are user error from people installing bad apps like Facebook, Greenify, and permission managers, rooting their phone and using xposed or custom roms and having issues, or not rebooting their phone every 2 days like Sundar intended. hahah, but seriously, the memory leak is the only real problem with lollipop, everything else is made up by the SD card + external battery illuminati

vyst posted:

Amen. Hate lollipop battery life

You have a Galaxy S5 (right?), you brought it on yourself. The only thing worse than Samsung not updating their phones is when they actually do update them.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

I'm also on a stock S5 on AT&T. That 4.4.4 "upgrade" we got a few weeks ago really hosed some poo poo up. Google Now opens when you press the home button, something in "Android System" is eating battery life, and it still isn't Lollipop. I'd suggest restarting your phone every other day until a patch is released.

Yeah, this is more or less what's happening with me, and my coworker is having the same issues (same phone).

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

RVProfootballer posted:

the memory leak is the only real problem with lollipop, everything else is made up by the SD card + external battery illuminati
100% correct.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Edit:

Somehow I missed the recommend me a phone thread at the top of the page, moved this there.

Inspector 34 fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Mar 4, 2015

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Inspector 34 posted:

Is this where I go for phone recommendations? I think it's finally time to replace my Nexus 4 and while I've been a fan of every Nexus and Google phone all the way back to the G1, I'm not sure I want to go up to a Nexus 6. The thing is just massive. What are some good phones with mostly stock Android that are around the same size as my N4? I've heard that the Motorola and LG devices don't screw with Android too much so they seem kind of appealing to me. I haven't used a Samsung device since my Galaxy S Vibrant, so I don't know what they've done with Android other than that a lot of people seem to hate whatever changes they've made. I like knowing where all my settings and junk are at, so I'd like to keep as close to stock Android as possible.

I'm going to hit a t-mobile store this evening to see what looks/feels good, but I don't know anything about how well any non-nexus devices hold up over time or get updates/support from their manufacturers. I've read through some of the last few pages but haven't really seen many recommendations.

Absolutely false in the case of LG, but Motorola uses a skin that looks almost stock.

LGs software is essentially an attempt to copy Touchwiz

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Maybe I was thinking of HTC. Which one uses Sense?

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

The only issues I've had with Lollipop on my M7 are just nuisances, nothing too debilitating. My capacative button lights don't work, adaptive brightness fails 50% of the time when I power the screen on and it comes up max brightness, and powering the screen off while in the camera/gallery app blows my wallpaper up to 150% until I reset it. I should probably just ditch GPe at this point and go back to Sense with Lollipop and Google Now launcher.

Inspector 34 posted:

Yeah that's HTC.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Inspector 34 posted:

HTC uses Sense.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Inspector 34 posted:

HTC. holy gently caress beaten

butt dickus posted:

What an unnecessarily inflammatory way to answer a simple question.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

LastInLine posted:

100% correct.

Well the memory leak and the terrible standby times

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

What an unnecessarily inflammatory way to answer a simple question.

Nah, it's always nice to see people being smug about this poo poo, as it serves to illustrate which posters are loving idiots and unreliable narrators.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

LastInLine posted:

100% correct.

Default encryption on devices without encrypt/decrypt acceleration or with old/borderline NAND (f2fs might play into it but I'm not familiar with it yet).

It still should be the standard (and I'm upset Google backed off on that) but if that's what people are running into you can't rightly be upset that they would dare to be upset.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Blitter posted:

Nah, it's always nice to see people being smug about this poo poo, as it serves to illustrate which posters are loving idiots and unreliable narrators.

My favorite bit is that the definition of broken is apparently just "has to be updated differently". Like, I understand calling people who immediately flash CM on their brand new S#'s or Note #'s dumb for replacing the stock camera or S-pen drivers with lovely hacked together garbage. The stock/rooted and custom rom paradigms are worlds apart in terms of reliability, yet functionally identical, so conflating them is hilariously simple minded.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Hace posted:

Well the memory leak and the terrible standby times

Are these present on the N6?

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Not on most of them, it's not consistent with Nexus 7's for sure and I believe 6s are the same way. I lose less than 1% battery/hour (haven't went out of my way to monitor, but it's definitely lower than that) standby on my Nexus 6. And don't have a noticeable memory leak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Well I somehow still have a VZW unlimited plan despite my Dad's phone upgrade supposedly nuking it (I pay my parents to stay on the family plan). Given that I'm not going to even touch upgrading because I'm guessing I'm one of less than 100,000 left at this point and these unlimited plans are extremely rare now.

Has Verizon closed off all the unlimited upgrade loopholes now? I remember hearing some rumbling about them shutting one down last year.