Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chard
Aug 24, 2010

illectro posted:

When I was skiing I talked with a lot of teenagers who wore helmets simply so they could attach a Go-Pro to it, one wonders whether the net effect of all those extra helmets will be to save lives, or to cause more injuries from kids showing off on camera.

Someone'sMastersThesis.txt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwuw6Z33018

This is my favorite Everest story.

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:

There should be an entire TV show that features nothing but a weekly hour of Brian Blessed shouting at mountains.

FreakerByTheSpeaker
Dec 3, 2006

You got your good things
And I've got mine
Hey, %50 off climbing to base camp! http://www.theclymb.com/adventures/14450/everest-base-camp/show-product/132775

Sure, we won't die on the summit, but we could find a way to die on our way.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

illectro posted:

When I was skiing I talked with a lot of teenagers who wore helmets simply so they could attach a Go-Pro to it, one wonders whether the net effect of all those extra helmets will be to save lives, or to cause more injuries from kids showing off on camera.

Isn't Michael Schumachers coma a direct result of a go-pro fracturing his helmet when he hit a tree while skiing?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

FreakerByTheSpeaker posted:

Hey, %50 off climbing to base camp! http://www.theclymb.com/adventures/14450/everest-base-camp/show-product/132775

Didn't a goon do this a year or two ago? It seems like a pretty fun trip without the horrific dying part

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Isn't Michael Schumachers coma a direct result of a go-pro fracturing his helmet when he hit a tree while skiing?

I don't think so, he hit a rock with his helmet and the camera was undamaged.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

SaltLick posted:

Didn't a goon do this a year or two ago? It seems like a pretty fun trip without the horrific dying part
I was offered the chance to take a bus up there when I was in Lhasa. I decided it wasn't worth the 3 extra days and went to Namtso instead.

It's pretty safe and more a backpacking trip than actual climbing or mountaineering. Base camp is pretty much a city at this point.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

And disappear without a trace when the Neplaese government tries to track you down to pay to die on their mountain.

quote:

In 2005, this middle aged Polish guy arrived at Base Camp without a permit to climb on Everest, but fully intended to try anyway, going unnoticed. He had very little money and basic equipment, but felt stong and capable enough to take on the mountain and at one point made it all the way through the Icefall and up to Camp I. Some of the larger guide services made note of his presence but he spoke little English, wasn't very friendly, and seemed to be able to take care of himself. So they left him alone and only saw him on the periphery while they looked after their clients. As we have seen from our limited time here, the Nepalis take their high dollar Everest climbing permits VERY seriously. But, we have also seen that if you were to go incognito enough, there is a good chance that you could go unnoticed. That is, unless a dramatic or tragic event changed your anonymous status quickly.

In 2005, something happened at Camp I that everyone prepares for, but almost never happens- a huge avalanche calved off of Everest's West Face that was large enough that it literally washed over Camp I. More or less a hundred year avalanche. Dozens of tents were flattened from the air blast alone, almost all were covered, and if you hadn't placed your tents on the high ground fingers (like where ours are located), you were in jeopardy. By some stroke of luck though, most climbers were down in Base Camp that day and at the time the avalanche struck, Camp I was almost deserted. The Polish Guy was unique- he had elected to stay in Camp I along with a small handfull of others that day. When the avalanche hit, he apparently jumped out of his tent to film the thousand tons of snow and ice as it moved in on Camp I- not exactly something that's recommended. But he was a tough old guy and must have thought he'd be ok. As an avalanche moves forward, it is preceeded by a wall air- a blast wave that pushes things down quickly and with force before the mass of snow comes along and washes everything in white and sweeps it along as the avalanche travels on it's way.

It was this wall of air that seems to have done the most damage to the Polish Guy, who had his camcorder pressed up to his face at the time he was hit. Out in front, the solid air slammed the camcorder with such force that it cut his face in many places and people afterwards wondered if you might be able to read "SONY" imprinted backwards on his forehead. Word of the avalanche reached Base Camp, and rescuers quickly pressed out, reaching the Camp I record time. Dazed and confused, the Polish Guy was already staggering down the mountain with only what he had on, still bleeding and face all smashed up. He clearly knew that he'd be found out and didn't want to pay a massive fine, thrown into a Nepali jail for climbing without a permit. As he passed several rescuers enroute down the Icefall, he gruffly waved off care and just kept on going. The confused rescuers didn't know what they would find up at Camp I, so they kept moving up and figured the Polish Guy would be taken care of by someone else further down below.

Upon arrival at Camp I, the rescuers found what remained of the Polish Guy's tent- just an old, small job barely bigger than a kitchen table. Peering inside, they found: gas for boiling water, and a very large bottle of vodka. That was it. Nothing more, nothing less. Gas and vodka. To climb Everest. The rescuers radioed that back, almost laughing in disbelief at how Spartan this guy's tent was. But by now the Nepali authorities knew about him and also knew he didn't have a climbing permit so they were actively looking for him with vigor. They didn't think it was very funny for sure. He wasn't in Base Camp, so the Nepalis figured he must still be coming down through the Icefall and focused their energy there. After a few hours he was nowhere to be found and they realized that despite their best efforts, he had somehow slipped the noose.

Several days later, the climbing community at Base Camp learned of his fate: Somehow, the Polish Guy had made it all the way to New Delhi, India and repatriated back to Poland from the Embassy there. New Delhi? Apparently, the Polish Guy had managed to walk close to 100 kilometers in the exact same climbing clothes that he had been wearing when hit in an avalanche at Camp I in the Western Cwm. Bleeding, injured, and only with the clothes on his back, he downclimbed through the Icefall, and no one noticed as he traveled all the way through the Khumbu Valley, out through Lukla and into Kathmandu.

From there, he likely took a bus across the border and all the way to New Delhi. He didn't have much money, so people speculate that he sold his climbing boots in Kathmandu for just enough money for bus fare to leave the country unnoticed. Even today, when you enter the Sagarmartha National Park gate near Lukla there is a picture of the Polish Guy looking all gruff and dazed on a ratty wanted poster that has likely been there since a few days after he ran off in 2005. My guess? He made it home, started putting back his loved vodka, told his tale to friends and family who called him a crazy nut, and he gave up on Everest completely.

Polish dude owns.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Mar 2, 2015

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

No story about summiting the mountain could possibly top that.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Oh boy, we can die at the foot of the mountain, instead of in the Death Zone.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

If we have a GoonMeet there the Nepalese government might shut down the whole mountain, so there is that.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
rear end-to-mouth at 5400 meters could be dangerous.

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?

Germstore posted:

Jesus christ.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Germstore posted:

Poz my -40 degree hole...

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
Wheres the polish dudes wanted poster? I wish to see and emulate him

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

DerekSmartymans posted:

Poz my -40 degree hole...

I drop my gortex jorts + shake my neg frostbitten rear end @ u

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Meatwave posted:

There should be an entire TV show that features nothing but a weekly hour of Brian Blessed shouting at mountains.

owns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GH8nwzOwtoM

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

I was watching Dark Side of Everest and this lady's story was in the middle

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francys_Arsentiev

She just went up to be The First American Woman Who Climbed Without Supplemental Oxygen (tm) and the interview with her family is :smith: tier. Her son was 7 and he goes "Well it was my call that my mother went and died, she asked me, and I didn't want her to hate me forever for denying her dream." and he was SEVEN. What a thing to live with.

Earlier in the thing Buck goes "There's no accomplishment for climbing Everest if you aren't Tensing or Mallory." And he was right. But we wouldn't have this thread if people were sensible :unsmith:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Everest makes sense, you pay $50000 for the chance to become a memorable landmark for other people.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
How do we know the guy was Polish? If he were Polish they would have found a snorkel or something

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
That must be terrible for that kid. Your parents leave you to go climb everest. When the mountain tells them two times "gently caress off, go home," they try for a third time and get themselves killed. "What did you do for summer vacation?" "Not much, I had to deal with my parents committing suicide by mountain."

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 227 days!)

Cojawfee posted:

That must be terrible for that kid. Your parents leave you to go climb everest. When the mountain tells them two times "gently caress off, go home," they try for a third time and get themselves killed. "What did you do for summer vacation?" "Not much, I had to deal with my parents committing suicide by mountain."

thats like 10x more awesome than dui

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Germstore posted:

it wouldn't be hard since everest climbing suits include a back hatch feature.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

Alan Smithee posted:

How do we know the guy was Polish? If he were Polish they would have found a snorkel or something

:boom:

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer
Talking about extreme survival stories, check out Douglas Mawson. He was part of an Australian team who went to map the South Pole, and probably suffered one of the most extreme stories of survival you will ever hear. I read his story in a book by Ranulph Fiennes which has several stories about adventures and acts of bravery that inspired Ranulph. I don't want to spoil it too much but let's just say Husky liver is Really, Really bad for you.

Here is the short Wikipedia article about it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lkS5psgo6Q

This video is a short talk by a chap called David Roberts who has written a book ( which I've just ordered ) about it. He also shows some images of the expedition as well as some pictures of the hazards of trying to work in the windiest place on Earth (constant 67mph windspeed!)

How he survived the ordeal he went through is nothing short of amazing.

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

I don't really see a problem with a trek to base camp other than there are better/prettier treks in that region. It's basically just walking, there is no real climbing involved.

Boola
Dec 7, 2005
Ya, going just to base camp seems like a waste. Especially when there are other treks that are more interesting and with views of Everest.

I'm doing the three passes trek this coming November with a friend. It passes through base camp but sees a lot of other areas and mountains along the way.

GET MY BELT SON
Sep 26, 2007

please don't get murdered by extremists

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

SaltLick posted:

I think it seems pretty cool, too. A buddy of mine from high school did this last year with his girlfriend and proposed there, and they're also smart enough to never try to die climbing the rest of the way. He said it was pretty spectacular, with bonus points for the schadenfreude of getting to watch everyone else die.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Alan Smithee posted:

I think there's a certain point where just plain not giving a gently caress is mistaken for stupidity.

Like, showing up to Everest with a chess set or works of shakespeare instead of vital survival gear? That's stupid. Showing up with nothing but a snorkel and vodka? That's on a whole other level. What if every polish joke ever told was really the polish guy saying 'gently caress you, I'm doing this on hard mode, fucker :black101:'

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

On top of the discarded tanks and trash, Everest is literally getting shittier every year.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

Rondette posted:

Talking about extreme survival stories, check out Douglas Mawson. He was part of an Australian team who went to map the South Pole, and probably suffered one of the most extreme stories of survival you will ever hear. I read his story in a book by Ranulph Fiennes which has several stories about adventures and acts of bravery that inspired Ranulph. I don't want to spoil it too much but let's just say Husky liver is Really, Really bad for you.

Speaking of extreme survival stories on antarctica, you can't leave out Endurance.
http://www.amazon.com/Endurance-Sha...words=endurance
http://www.amazon.com/Endurance-Sha...&qid=1425421967

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Fatkraken posted:

There's some big furore going on with permits for the Nepal side at the moment, since last years season basically didn't happen due to the disaster that killed the big group of Sherpas. The climbers still don't know if they'll be allowed to use the old permits and the government is dragging it's feet, so a lot of expeditions are in limbo

aka "We're just waiting until the expeditions hit base camp to tell them that we won't let them use old permits"

Given what I've heard in this thread, I can only assume that any time the Nepalese government uses the words "sanctity", "holy", or "pristine" in the same sentence as Everest it's because they're planning on jacking up permit prices.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Instead of imposing a $4000 fine for not bringing down enough trash they should make them climb back up and retrieve some. Of course then there might be 180lb of trash on the mountain but I feel the risk is worth it.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Dely Apple posted:

I was watching Dark Side of Everest and this lady's story was in the middle

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francys_Arsentiev

She just went up to be The First American Woman Who Climbed Without Supplemental Oxygen (tm) and the interview with her family is :smith: tier. Her son was 7 and he goes "Well it was my call that my mother went and died, she asked me, and I didn't want her to hate me forever for denying her dream." and he was SEVEN. What a thing to live with.

Earlier in the thing Buck goes "There's no accomplishment for climbing Everest if you aren't Tensing or Mallory." And he was right. But we wouldn't have this thread if people were sensible :unsmith:

That mom is a right oval office

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Alan Smithee posted:

what the fuuuuuck :stare:

is there any good videos of how harsh this place can get?

Old but Mt. Washington talk:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-GXEABz8lQ

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Why do I always want to sock it to you so hard?
Remotely related: Tenzig Norgay's grandson is now a regular character on a Disney Channel show. They have one of those interview things they play during the commercials sometimes showing him at home and with his family, it seems like they moved to the USA a long time ago. His parents don't have much accent.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost

elwood posted:

I don't really see a problem with a trek to base camp other than there are better/prettier treks in that region. It's basically just walking, there is no real climbing involved.

I wonder how many people fall over from lack of acclimatization in a week of walking at 5000m.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Robo Reagan posted:

That mom is a right oval office

While I wouldn't use that language, it is a pretty vile thing to do. You can't put that on a kid, either they're wracked with guilt over killing your dream, or wracked with guilt when you die. It's horribly selfish to make a tiny child make that decision.

• Locked thread