Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

Flython posted:

Climbing so far just seems to drag the fights out and riding monsters is only good for clearing subquests.

I don't know what kind of drugs you're on, but keep them the hell away from me. If you can't see the benefit to effectively having another form of trap that nobody in the group has to carry, and that's reusable, which prevents the monster from dealing damage to your party for an extended period of time and gives you an opportunity for free hits, you may be playing the wrong game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Flython posted:

Swimming was great. Each of the weapons had their own little quirk underwater and I'll love Gobul until the day I day. Shame his armour and weapons were pretty but useless.

Climbing so far just seems to drag the fights out and riding monsters is only good for clearing subquests.

:wtc:

Dude riding monsters is the best thing to ever happen to monster hunter.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

Haruharuharuko posted:

The biggest thing with him in my opinion is to be super agressive and never let yourself get hit with the virus debuff and just stay between his legs.

Or better yet, get clipped with the virus debuff and then turn it into a buff by being super aggressive.

Flython
Oct 21, 2010

G-Prime posted:

I don't know what kind of drugs you're on, but keep them the hell away from me. If you can't see the benefit to effectively having another form of trap that nobody in the group has to carry, and that's reusable, which prevents the monster from dealing damage to your party for an extended period of time and gives you an opportunity for free hits, you may be playing the wrong game.

Oh I can definitely see it being very useful when you're running with three more hunters but solo it's just one more hammer combo, not really worth the button mashing.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Is there something I'm missing to make the last phase of Dalamadur less of a slog? I actually kind of like his other parts but when he gets to the point he's not moving and just doing his bite over and over while raining down meteors it just becomes tedious and an exercise in seeing if I get clocked by a meteor while charging a swing.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
...So I made an easy, LR egg-delivery armor set to do the 10* quest I was having trouble with. Good thing too, since the second egg is a long, long journey with a Tigrex/Brute Tigrex duo who just really love nothing more than to camp just outside the zone you're hiding in. Had one sit in 2 while I was chilling in the side cave for about 5 minutes. I thought he was never gonna leave.

Get back to town, talk to the guy... I did not expect this quest line to unlock loving Fatalis. :stare: When he said one last quest I was like bring it on, I got a good little set for fast-moving deliveries! Nope. Elder dragon time!

Cronodoculous
Jun 29, 2006

You light up my life

Bussamove posted:

Is there something I'm missing to make the last phase of Dalamadur less of a slog? I actually kind of like his other parts but when he gets to the point he's not moving and just doing his bite over and over while raining down meteors it just becomes tedious and an exercise in seeing if I get clocked by a meteor while charging a swing.

It's a shame you don't like that part because if you ever need Shattered Omens, you're gonna spend a lot of time standing around in that phase. Tip for that, though, there's a raised platform right below where he puts his head that you can stand on and the only thing that will hit you is the meteors.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Flython posted:

Oh I can definitely see it being very useful when you're running with three more hunters but solo it's just one more hammer combo, not really worth the button mashing.

It's great for a glaive user really, even solo; it's a free period to collect whatever buffs you want if the monster has a particularly annoying one or two, or just time to beat on it if you're already suitably tripled-up. Some monsters you can even bring down again about at the end of your triple up to do it again, at least a couple of times.

Flython
Oct 21, 2010

Len posted:

I thought I was doing pretty okay at Monster Hunter 4. I've never really gotten into one before but I've got a bunch of time in, made some new weapons and armor, and was clearing fights pretty steadily. Then I got the urgent quest to kill Gore Magala. Any tips? Dude just kind of mopped the floor with me. I'm using an insect glaive but I'm debating making dual fire swords since supposedly he's weak to fire.

Just did this quest for the first time and what Haruharuharuko said is totally right. I stuck to his legs with the Rathian SnS and he just couldn't hit me. I wasn't even getting chip damage from touching his legs the entire fight.

I've definitely got some pretty serious rose tinted goggles for swimming and MH3 in general but you put first taking down Lagiacrus up against doing the same to Gore Magala and there's absolutely no contest, at least for me.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Water combat was completely loathsome and awful and I would have to seriously consider buying another MH game if they put it back in without significant changes.

e: It was the single thing I hated most in MH3U

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Mar 4, 2015

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

I don't think anyone cares about simply having to navigate through underwater environments--some of those were interesting--but actually having to fight and dodge giant monsters underwater? Nay! Naaaay!

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

Colapops posted:

I don't think anyone cares about simply having to navigate through underwater environments--some of those were interesting--but actually having to fight and dodge giant monsters underwater? Nay! Naaaay!

Dodging in full 3D was great you could dodge up.

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

The underwater flooded forest quests put an end to my g rank solo adventures. The island at least was clear water with plenty of room to move around.

Flooded forest was full of lovely narrow river things with weeds and green haze over everything.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Underwater combat was an interesting concept. You can follow the monster into their preferred environment!

The implementation is such a shitshow.

greth
Nov 12, 2008

Does it trouble your mind the way you trouble mine?
Black Gravios can go gently caress itself.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Flython posted:

A successful mount seems to do a substantial amount of damage, in addition to knocking the monster down. I could be wrong but that's the impression I've gotten.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Elysiume posted:

Water combat was completely loathsome and awful and I would have to seriously consider buying another MH game if they put it back in without significant changes.

e: It was the single thing I hated most in MH3U

On the contrary, the thing I loved best about the underwater contest was chasing after Plesioth, because not even water could save it from getting shitmurdered :getin:

I'll admit that the underwater was not the best, but it's more the implementation than the concept, I think. Although being good at underwater fighting was definitely a thing.

Awesome! posted:

using a gourmet voucher for the egg carrying buff meal was a very good choice for the don's quest. i didnt kill either rath and i didnt drop a single egg.

tip: when you grab an egg they will both start chasing you from zone to zone. use this to your advantage by holding the egg at the jump down to the cat area and waiting for them to fly back up to the egg zone. then they will be too late to actually do anything to you as they chase you. then you just have to worry about the small mobs. on the last egg they force you to go through remobras and congas and switch the kelbis in zone 1 for rhenoplos :getin: i suggest maxing your stamina before starting egg 3.

If you're in a map with a carnivore egg nest and you're expecting a Rathian, just pick up an egg and hold it, she'll fly right into the zone you're in to attack you, regardless of the zone she migrated to. Doesn't work if she's sleeping, but on the other hand, you can pick the area to fight her by toting an egg there.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

greth posted:

Black Gravios can go gently caress itself.

What does it do different? I've been hunting both online for wyvern gems for a proper HR set and except for me dying like a dumbass shitbad* at one point, the regular Gravios has given me more trouble.

* don't scrounge shinies under black gravios because it will do the firebeam slideback maneuver.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
Black Gravios loves to beam at any given opportunity and also seems to like the annoying fire fart attack more too.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Stealthed Zombie posted:

Got to Monoblos in Caravan. Monoblos? More like...Easyblos :smug:

Really though it just seemed like a super easy urgent compared to how big they were talking him up. "Oh no, it's a Monoblos! Good luck hunter, I think you'll need it!" *kills him in 10 minutes with no cards and barely using heals* "OH MY GOD WE CAN'T BELIEVE YOU DID IT!"

I'm looking at new sets to make, right now I've got Tetsucabra S, but I'd like something with Sharpness+, or maybe I'll make that Nerscylla armor since they're easy enough to farm in the Hunt-A-Thon.

I felt the same way about the blind poison dragon in lr that punks you for a bit

Konig
Feb 24, 2012

This stink up's mega
bam-bam to the J-Stop

The Moon Monster posted:

A successful mount seems to do a substantial amount of damage, in addition to knocking the monster down. I could be wrong but that's the impression I've gotten.

I've found that the usual progression from the first mount in singleplayer as a hammer user is Do One Leap Attack > Monster Is Mounted > Wail On His Back > Win The Mount In Like Ten Seconds > Monster Is Upside Down > Smack Him In The loving Head > Monster Goes Straight From Upside Down To KO'd > Smack Him In The loving Head Some More.

Of course, this usually ends in an auto-enrage due to the gigantic amount of damage that was just dropped onto the poor fucker, but yeah, singleplayer mounts are definitely restricted to just going for the breaks.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I started playing online for the first time today, get into HR2 and I'm clearing out big monster quests with various folks, generally having a good time.

But on multiple occasions, someone would join and immediately pick up their urgent, even when I already had a quest picked and was waiting for a third/fourth :psyduck:

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

Had probably the best bad to great MoHun situation today. I joined a HR2 room it filled up and we picked the hunt a Zamitrios and Lagombi quest. We load in and one person drops immediately. The three of us head to 2 and both monsters are there fight starts and both other people drop. Well poo poo I barely hang on until the lagombi fucks off and took out the Zamitrios then even went on to capture the Lagombi was rad as hell and can't believe I pulled that off.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I got a Worn Lance. Today is a good day.

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010

Flython posted:

The Moon Monster posted:

It does deal a chunk of regular damage, and on top of that the knockdown lets you get at otherwise difficult to reach parts, AND it deals a lot of durability damage to all the breakables on the enemy. It's a godsend for people who go for breaks.

Edit: Jump attacks also don't bounce, so It's also great for for heavily armored enemies that get less armored when you break them. Like Gravios, for example.

Focacciasaurus_Rex fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Mar 4, 2015

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Just depends on the armour really. Zamitros makes you look like the pink ranger.

hell yeah. Zamtrios is my boy(friend)

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Cronodoculous posted:

It's a shame you don't like that part because if you ever need Shattered Omens, you're gonna spend a lot of time standing around in that phase. Tip for that, though, there's a raised platform right below where he puts his head that you can stand on and the only thing that will hit you is the meteors.

Yeah I found that platform which helps a bit, but with a GS it's still pretty annoying to be charging up a swing while Dalamadur is taking a nap after biting only to see the column of light on me then getting smacked by rocks from the sky right before I get the swing off.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

So I've decided to get into this game for reals and I'm looking for people who want to play. I've just finished my Great Jaggi set and I'm doing HR+1 quests. Anyone else around the same level want to team up?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm a lance user and I mount a beast like 4x always, it is almost an auto stun, I can get a ton of pokes in, it does a bunch of damage, and my cats will set up a trap for me afterwards half the time.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
So I've been busy and not playing MH for a bit, other games and real life and all.

Then I got back in and fought a farting hippo monkey to save a cat bro.

This game will never not be goty.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
got my kut-Ku plush today which means it's time to murder its friends :cool:

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I wanted a zamtrios plus but they don't make one...

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I can't remember now if it was this thread or the 3DS thread talking about the case for people with spade hands, but if you're curious what it looks like:

Turtlicious posted:

So that cheapo chinese case? I bought one, and it works pretty well but the nubs don't stick out enough for me. Here are some pictures.

e: Holy tables batman.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Turtlicious posted:

I can't remember now if it was this thread or the 3DS thread talking about the case for people with spade hands, but if you're curious what it looks like:

That somehow looks less comfortable than just the base thing.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie
Man The Caravaneer's Challenge is some bullshit, but drat was the rainbow pigment worth it.

Still not as bad as Mark of a Hero.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Is there some sort of resource to tell you where to go for X quest? I just spent 20 minutes running around looking for stupid Kelbi horns.

Also for gathering quests, is there anyway to teleport back to the turn in box / camp once I am done? Or do I have to run back?

And... for those collecting quests where you have to pick up an object and carry it, I am assuming you have to carry it back to your base thing? :wtc:

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

Etrips posted:

Also for gathering quests, is there anyway to teleport back to the turn in box / camp once I am done? Or do I have to run back?

Farcaster item > excite shroom + bomb casing

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

muike posted:

I wanted a zamtrios plus but they don't make one...

high hopes they will make one, friend

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Etrips posted:

Is there some sort of resource to tell you where to go for X quest? I just spent 20 minutes running around looking for stupid Kelbi horns.

And... for those collecting quests where you have to pick up an object and carry it, I am assuming you have to carry it back to your base thing? :wtc:

http://kiranico.com/en/mh4u

Farcaster, Exciteshroom + Bomb Casing

Yes - eat for Supercat + Lander. Supercat means you won't drop it if you eat a weak monster hit, Lander means you won't drop it from falls. Do not let your Stamina go into the red, or try to melee/jump up a wall, those will drop it.

I'd recommend skipping egg quests until you have Dash Juice/Super Dash Juice, it gives you infinite stamina, so you can pick it up, then Supercat + Lander and just haul rear end all the way back to base, takes a few minutes tops start to finish.

There's also a three piece Loc Lac set of armor you can craft from Steel Eggs (awarded from the egg carrying quests) that gives the Transporter skill for faster and easier egg carrying.

Egg quests are mostly there to teach you the value of preparation - they go from horrible to hilariously easy once you realize how to tackle them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Lessail posted:

high hopes they will make one, friend

I want to blow into its mouth and inflate it

• Locked thread