Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

Say Nothing posted:

World's biggest Harley.

Needs to have a radial engine.

:colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

blunt for century posted:

Needs to have a radial engine.

:colbert:

You aren't thinking big enough.

It uses an engine from a T55.

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

The Repo Man posted:

You aren't thinking big enough.

It uses an engine from a T55.

For those who, like me, had no idea what a T55 is:

:black101:

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

Get back to me when there is a motorcycle with a cruise ship engine :colbert:

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

not a ship engine, but this guy was building ridiculous bikes before it was cool

Ruse
Dec 16, 2005

Gentlemen, let's broaden our minds!

AKA Pseudonym posted:

Chilean volcano that erupted early Tuesday morning

Any idea where I can find that in 3440x1440?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Get back to me when there is a motorcycle with a cruise ship engine :colbert:

Get back to me when there is a motorcycle with a supertanker engine :colbert:

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

Gorilla Salad posted:

Get back to me when there is a motorcycle with a supertanker engine :colbert:

Touché

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...
Well goons, I think it's time to build us a motorcycle. I'm sure that our combined knowledge will only get most of us killed.

In the meantime, here is the 30 mm Gau Avenger on an A-10 Warthog, the only airplane I know of where you could just blow off most of a wing and it would shrug it off. The jet was designed around the gun.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

The Repo Man posted:

In the meantime, here is the 30 mm Gau Avenger on an A-10 Warthog, the only airplane I know of where you could just blow off most of a wing and it would shrug it off.

Not only that, but at least once an A-10 has had a wing blown off and had the shrapnel from the wing get swallowed up by an engine and still been able to return to base and land successfully.

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Apparently most of Cape Town's flora is burning.

You can see the smoke by satellite:

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

lenoon posted:

That sounds like bullshit tbh. I work with stone tools, specifically stone axes and adzes, and I've never heard of a properly documented example of that practice. It's actually a lovely way to do it anyway, why bother when wood is usually readily available?

It could well be true, of course, it might just be out of my period.

Edit: the sources above are relating to the "ancient art" of doing this. But waiting 6-8 years for a marginally better axe, when you're making them in a matter of hours and keep having to remove them from their handle to sharpen them up? Pointless!

It is tough to make stone tools quietly but it's not impossible at all. Soft hammers (antler and wood specifically) make a dull thud with a light ring when the stone flakes off. After a few of those you can pressure flake a good sharp edge, totally silently. I used to knapp flint in the garden when I couldn't sleep, you get good at closing down at least some of the noise. A wrap around the body of the stone will do well.

Late to this but, totally agree that this method sounds dodgy as hell. I've been involved in prehistoric archaeology for ages and have never heard of anything like this being found or even suggested as a method of hafting. There would not be enough control over the finished artefact for it to be used consistently - slight twist in your growing wood and you have an axe with the blade set at a stupid angle, etc. etc. (Also, what would stop other people harvesting your axe heads?)

Noise and knapping - yeah I was too glib in my statement before. Pressure flaking is at worst mostly silent. I was thinking of the initial steps in preparing your core/producing a large enough flake to work on which is a lot harder to do quietly. (Most of my experience with knapping - doing and watching - is with palaeolithic artefacts which may colour my perception a bit.)

The real reason the 'poo poo knife' story has to be stdh is that, even if someone could produce a working blade from frozen poo poo with a cutting edge of frozen spit, the instant they started trying to kill and butcher a dog the blade would be melted by the animals body heat and all they'd have is a handful of damp poo poo.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

The Repo Man posted:

Well goons, I think it's time to build us a motorcycle. I'm sure that our combined knowledge will only get most of us killed.

In the meantime, here is the 30 mm Gau Avenger on an A-10 Warthog, the only airplane I know of where you could just blow off most of a wing and it would shrug it off. The jet was designed around the gun.

Pictures do not do this thing justice.

The gun is mounted off-center, both horizontally and vertically, so that the firing barrel lies directly along the centerline of the plane and recoils directly through both the horizontal and vertical center of gravity, since the recoil would be enough to alter the pitch and yaw of the plane.

The recoil force is higher than the thrust that one of the engines puts out as well.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
The soviet equivalent, the GSh-6-30. Unlike the avenger, the GSh did not get a plane designed around it, and it was instead strapped to a low altitude supersonic attack jet. This lead to some... issues.

quote:

On the Mikoyan MiG-27 the Gsh-6-30 had to be mounted obliquely to absorb recoil. The gun was noted for its high (often uncomfortable) vibration and extreme noise. The airframe vibration led to fatigue cracks in fuel tanks, numerous radio and avionics failures, the necessity of using runways with floodlights for night flights (as the landing lights would often be destroyed), tearing or jamming of the forward landing gear doors (leading to at least three crash landings), cracking of the reflector gunsight, an accidental jettisoning of the cockpit canopy and at least one case of the instrument panel falling off in flight. The weapons also dealt extensive collateral damage, as the sheer numbers of fragments from detonating shells was sufficient to damage aircraft flying within a 200 meter radius from the impact center, including the aircraft firing.
:stare:

There's a great quote from a Mikoyan test pilot out their somewhere, something like "finally we have the one true gun" or something like that.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

The Repo Man posted:

Here's a really good read on the A-10, with explanations as to why Congress keeps trying to kill the plane, and how it keeps coming back.

Qwezz
Dec 19, 2010

I'm feeling some good vibrations!
The A-10 has nothing on the SR-71. :colbert:

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

TheBigAristotle posted:

Here's a really good read on the A-10, with explanations as to why Congress keeps trying to kill the plane, and how it keeps coming back.

gently caress retiring the A-10 - keep it around, make more of them, and scrap the useless million-dollar shitpiles that the military has been cranking out over the last 2 decades. When a vehicle or equipment lasts that long and has such a badass service record, you do NOT retire it, let alone stop making it, unless you're 100% helmet-wearing, sub-40 IQ retarded.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Haven't you guys heard of the English Electric Lightning? Sounds like a volcano and takes off like a missile.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CDLbokf9sg

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Qwezz posted:

The A-10 has nothing on the SR-71. :colbert:

SR71s are badass as gently caress. At full speed they can outrun many missiles. At 0 speed, they shrink so much that they constantly leak fuel.

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010

Shoulda put a prop on that.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Ozz81 posted:

gently caress retiring the A-10 - keep it around, make more of them, and scrap the useless million-dollar shitpiles that the military has been cranking out over the last 2 decades. When a vehicle or equipment lasts that long and has such a badass service record, you do NOT retire it, let alone stop making it, unless you're 100% helmet-wearing, sub-40 IQ retarded.

But you don't get billions in design contracts for making something that works :v:.

Though, I'm kinda happy with anything that makes the US military less effective.

Axeman Jim
Nov 21, 2010

The Canadians replied that they would rather ride a moose.

Stoatbringer posted:

Haven't you guys heard of the English Electric Lightning? Sounds like a volcano and takes off like a missile.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CDLbokf9sg

The Lightning was the first aircraft to break the sound barrier going straight up.

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

TheBigAristotle posted:

Even the ineptitude and terrible decisions of congress can't bring down an A-10! :buddy:

CommanderApaul posted:

Pictures do not do this thing justice.

The gun is mounted off-center, both horizontally and vertically, so that the firing barrel lies directly along the centerline of the plane and recoils directly through both the horizontal and vertical center of gravity, since the recoil would be enough to alter the pitch and yaw of the plane.

The recoil force is higher than the thrust that one of the engines puts out as well.

By how much does firing the cannon slow the aircraft?

Also, badass airplanes are the best, keep posting those!

Content:

The P-38 Lighting is one of the prettiest aircraft ever used in any military.

Performance-wise, I don't know a whole lot about it, except that it was much quieter than other aircraft, and it was brilliant to maneuver, and almost impossible to crash, even in evasive maneuvers, however it wasn't particularly fast.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

The P-38 Lighting is one of the prettiest aircraft ever used in any military.

The absolute prettiest of course being the PBY Catalina.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

thespaceinvader posted:

SR71s are badass as gently caress. At full speed they can outrun many missiles. At 0 speed, they shrink so much that they constantly leak fuel.

It's not a photo, but my favorite SR-71 story comes from the book Sled Driver by former Blackbird pilot Brian Shul. Good luck finding a copy for less than $700 these days.

Apologies for the long quote, but it's completely worth it.

quote:

There were a lot of things we couldn’t do in an SR-71, but we were the fastest guys on the block and loved reminding our fellow aviators of this fact. People often asked us if, because of this fact, it was fun to fly the jet. Fun would not be the first word I would use to describe flying this plane. Intense, maybe. Even cerebral. But there was one day in our Sled experience when we would have to say that it was pure fun to be the fastest guys out there, at least for a moment.

It occurred when Walt and I were flying our final training sortie. We needed 100 hours in the jet to complete our training and attain Mission Ready status. Somewhere over Colorado we had passed the century mark. We had made the turn in Arizona and the jet was performing flawlessly. My gauges were wired in the front seat and we were starting to feel pretty good about ourselves, not only because we would soon be flying real missions but because we had gained a great deal of confidence in the plane in the past ten months. Ripping across the barren deserts 80,000 feet below us, I could already see the coast of California from the Arizona border. I was, finally, after many humbling months of simulators and study, ahead of the jet.

I was beginning to feel a bit sorry for Walter in the back seat. There he was, with no really good view of the incredible sights before us, tasked with monitoring four different radios. This was good practice for him for when we began flying real missions, when a priority transmission from headquarters could be vital. It had been difficult, too, for me to relinquish control of the radios, as during my entire flying career I had controlled my own transmissions. But it was part of the division of duties in this plane and I had adjusted to it. I still insisted on talking on the radio while we were on the ground, however. Walt was so good at many things, but he couldn’t match my expertise at sounding smooth on the radios, a skill that had been honed sharply with years in fighter squadrons where the slightest radio miscue was grounds for beheading. He understood that and allowed me that luxury.

Just to get a sense of what Walt had to contend with, I pulled the radio toggle switches and monitored the frequencies along with him. The predominant radio chatter was from Los Angeles Center, far below us, controlling daily traffic in their sector. While they had us on their scope (albeit briefly), we were in uncontrolled airspace and normally would not talk to them unless we needed to descend into their airspace.

We listened as the shaky voice of a lone Cessna pilot asked Center for a readout of his ground speed. Center replied: “November Charlie 175, I’m showing you at ninety knots on the ground.”

Now the thing to understand about Center controllers, was that whether they were talking to a rookie pilot in a Cessna, or to Air Force One, they always spoke in the exact same, calm, deep, professional, tone that made one feel important. I referred to it as the ” Houston Center voice.” I have always felt that after years of seeing documentaries on this country’s space program and listening to the calm and distinct voice of the Houston controllers, that all other controllers since then wanted to sound like that, and that they basically did. And it didn’t matter what sector of the country we would be flying in, it always seemed like the same guy was talking. Over the years that tone of voice had become somewhat of a comforting sound to pilots everywhere. Conversely, over the years, pilots always wanted to ensure that, when transmitting, they sounded like Chuck Yeager, or at least like John Wayne. Better to die than sound bad on the radios.

Just moments after the Cessna’s inquiry, a Twin Beech piped up on frequency, in a rather superior tone, asking for his ground speed. “I have you at one hundred and twenty-five knots of ground speed.” Boy, I thought, the Beechcraft really must think he is dazzling his Cessna brethren. Then out of the blue, a navy F-18 pilot out of NAS Lemoore came up on frequency. You knew right away it was a Navy jock because he sounded very cool on the radios. “Center, Dusty 52 ground speed check”. Before Center could reply, I’m thinking to myself, hey, Dusty 52 has a ground speed indicator in that million-dollar cockpit, so why is he asking Center for a readout? Then I got it, ol’ Dusty here is making sure that every bug smasher from Mount Whitney to the Mojave knows what true speed is. He’s the fastest dude in the valley today, and he just wants everyone to know how much fun he is having in his new Hornet. And the reply, always with that same, calm, voice, with more distinct alliteration than emotion: “Dusty 52, Center, we have you at 620 on the ground.”

And I thought to myself, is this a ripe situation, or what? As my hand instinctively reached for the mic button, I had to remind myself that Walt was in control of the radios. Still, I thought, it must be done – in mere seconds we’ll be out of the sector and the opportunity will be lost. That Hornet must die, and die now. I thought about all of our Sim training and how important it was that we developed well as a crew and knew that to jump in on the radios now would destroy the integrity of all that we had worked toward becoming. I was torn.

Somewhere, 13 miles above Arizona, there was a pilot screaming inside his space helmet. Then, I heard it. The click of the mic button from the back seat. That was the very moment that I knew Walter and I had become a crew. Very professionally, and with no emotion, Walter spoke: “Los Angeles Center, Aspen 20, can you give us a ground speed check?” There was no hesitation, and the replay came as if was an everyday request. “Aspen 20, I show you at one thousand eight hundred and forty-two knots, across the ground.”

I think it was the forty-two knots that I liked the best, so accurate and proud was Center to deliver that information without hesitation, and you just knew he was smiling. But the precise point at which I knew that Walt and I were going to be really good friends for a long time was when he keyed the mic once again to say, in his most fighter-pilot-like voice: “Ah, Center, much thanks, we’re showing closer to nineteen hundred on the money.”

For a moment Walter was a god. And we finally heard a little crack in the armor of the Houston Center voice, when L.A.came back with, “Roger that Aspen, Your equipment is probably more accurate than ours. You boys have a good one.”

It all had lasted for just moments, but in that short, memorable sprint across the southwest, the Navy had been flamed, all mortal airplanes on freq were forced to bow before the King of Speed, and more importantly, Walter and I had crossed the threshold of being a crew. A fine day’s work. We never heard another transmission on that frequency all the way to the coast.

For just one day, it truly was fun being the fastest guys out there.

Performance-wise, I don't know a whole lot about it, except that it was much quieter than other aircraft, and it was brilliant to maneuver, and almost impossible to crash, even in evasive maneuvers, however it wasn't particularly fast.

The Lightning was interesting because all of its considerable armament was in the nose, which caused it to "saw" enemy planes to pieces. :black101:

Both the American ace of aces and our number 2 ace flew Lightnings, and it was the plane that killed Yamamoto.

Polaron has a new favorite as of 01:30 on Mar 5, 2015

Useless
Sep 13, 2003
I'm keeping three or four fingers crossed you get a buick up the ass before the night is over.

Polaron posted:

It's not a photo, but my favorite SR-71 story comes from the book Sled Driver by former Blackbird pilot Brian Shul. Good luck finding a copy for less than $700 these days.

Apologies for the long quote, but it's completely worth it.

The Lightning was interesting because all of its considerable armament was in the nose, which caused it to "saw" enemy planes to pieces. :black101:

Both the American ace of aces and our number 2 ace flew Lightnings, and it was the plane that killed Yamamoto.

I must have run across this story a dozen times in various places on there 'ol internets, but every time I stop to read it again. Such a great story...

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

ReidRansom posted:

The absolute prettiest of course being the PBY Catalina.

Ahem, the Sptifire courteously requests a recount:

Oh, this is the Bad rear end Pic thread, right?

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
To elaborate on the P-38's gun layout, many fighter planes of the era mounted machine guns/cannon in the wings, which were mounted at an angle so that the rounds would intersect at a fixed point or convergence zone ahead of the aircraft. This meant for most pilots, dogfighting was an extremely involved process of getting your target in the zone where your fire overlapped. Since the P-38 had twin engines, it could mount all of its guns (and its one 20mm cannon) on the centerline, which gave it both a significant range advantage and greater flexibility in targeting.

Interestingly, the Lightning was withdrawn from service in Europe since it couldn't keep up with the much faster German single-engine fighters, but it excelled in the Pacific due to its maneuverability and the fact that it had a higher cruise speed than the A6M Zero.

Also, the US "ace of aces" Dick Bong (:laugh:) scored all of his 40 recorded kills in one of these. He was such a venerated pilot that when he died in a test flight of the P-80 Shooting Star on August 6, 1945, he shared front-page news with the atomic bombing of Hiroshima.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

Also, badass airplanes are the best, keep posting those!

I've mentioned it in other threads, but I never pass up an opportunity to post one of my all-time favorite aircraft:

The first time I saw one in flight, I was stunned. I don't want to be melodramatic, but it was so striking. I've never seen an aircraft that was so pretty in flight, and so graceful, and looked more like a creature of the air than this one. The plane looked like it was pasted onto the sky, like a giant sticker; inconceivable that it could ever come down.

Centripetal Horse has a new favorite as of 01:58 on Mar 5, 2015

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Centripetal Horse posted:

I've mentioned it in other threads, but I never pass up an opportunity to post one of my all-time favorite aircraft:

The first time I saw one in flight, I was stunned. I don't want to be melodramatic, but it was so striking. I've never seen an aircraft that was so pretty in flight, and so graceful, and looked more like a creature of the air than this one. The plane looked like it was pasted onto the sky, like a giant sticker; inconceivable that it could ever come down.

Venom is badass, but I think the Sea Vixen is the prettiest of those twin-boom fighters:

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Useless posted:

I must have run across this story a dozen times in various places on there 'ol internets, but every time I stop to read it again. Such a great story...

You're not the only one. :)

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

VendaGoat posted:

You're not the only one. :)

I always think of the aliens overhead in their superior spacecraft, also listening in and wishing they could upstage the blackbird and blow the controller's mind.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Snowy posted:

I always think of the aliens overhead in their superior spacecraft, also listening in and wishing they could upstage the blackbird and blow the controller's mind.

drat those intergalactic treaties! They should let the Free Market do its thing and let the most fit Gorblox Win!

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!
"Sled Driver" may be impossible to get but "Skunk Works" is a great read if you're into the SR-71 (even if it's primary subject is the development of the stealth fighter). It has a bunch of great A-12/SR-71 pilot stories throughout as well, along with pretty much everything you could want to know about the Skunk Works operations. It was written by Ben Rich, who took over from Kelly Johnson.

As for badass, though, I highly recommend reading "Red Eagles", about the pilots who flew our secret stash of Soviet MiGs without any real previous experience (or manuals, or spare parts, or anything). These guys were pretty much insane to climb into those planes, and they did it for years.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

What is wrong with your face?

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

The Repo Man posted:

A-10 Warthog, the only airplane I know of where you could just blow off most of a wing and it would shrug it off.

The F-15 would like a word with you...

Wikipeida posted:

On 1 May 1983, an Israeli Air Force F-15D collided with a Douglas A-4 Skyhawk during training. Unknown to pilot Zivi Nedivi and his copilot, the right wing was sheared off roughly two feet (60 cm) from the fuselage. The A-4 disintegrated and its pilot safely ejected, while the F-15 nosed down and entered a violent roll. Zivi decided to attempt recovery and engaged afterburner to increase speed. He was able to prevent stalling and maintain control due to the lift generated by the large horizontal surface area of the fuselage, the stabilators, and remaining wing areas. The F-15 landed at twice the normal speed to maintain the necessary descent and its tailhook was torn off during the landing. Zivi managed to bring his F-15 to a stop approximately 20 ft (6 m) from the end of the runway. He was later quoted as saying "It's highly likely that if I would have seen it clearly, I would have ejected..."; leaking fuel along the wing had obstructed visibility of the wing itself. The aircraft was repaired and saw further combat service.

I've always been partial to the Hawker Hurricane. It's not quite as pretty as the Spitfire, but it scored more kills during the Battle of Britain.

Nebelwerfer
Jul 25, 2008

He carried our avenging steel over the Rhine,
He drank the emperor's toast from the Danube.
In the vein of earlier Blackbird discussion, I need to post these cool hires photos. Thinking about framing either one

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
That first pic is why some UFO stories are so credible - if you didn't know those were humans in their it'd scare the poo poo out of you.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

TheBigAristotle posted:

Thanks for the article. I never realized just how loving massive the GAU was.

I will never not love the A-10. I hate killing and war, but this is just a beautiful piece of machinery designed to keep it's pilot alive, and help ground forces in spectacular ways :911:

Edit:

Beardless posted:

F-15 and Hurricane Stuff

Also awesome aircrafts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless