Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Tortilla Maker posted:

I was contacted by a Managing Director from an established and well-regarded legal recruiting firm. The inMail message was brief and simply said that he looked at my profile and believes I have the experience a client of theirs is seeking (though the subject of the message read 'In-House Role' so ???).

He provided his phone number. Is it generally a better approach (or more professional even in the world of LinkedIn) to begin the conversation via phone? Or do you mostly believe that it's perfectly acceptable to just begin a conversation via LinkedIn to get additional information on this otherwise vague message.

Getting a phone number and speaking to someone is the only way to motivate them to get you a job and to act quickly imo. Even goes for a recruiter at a large company that's contacting you. Show them you're excited, qualified, etc and theyll be motivated to get you through the process. Again, imo, it matters how the recruiter prsents you to the hiring manager. "I met this great guy who is qualified" -vs- "Heres someone I talked to that is qualified"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU

Cacafuego posted:

So a recruiter contacted me on linkedin saying they viewed my profile and asking if I was interested in a clinical trials management job that would effectively double my salary. I'm not entirely sure I have the qualifications for the job they are telling me about.

The recruiting company seems legit and has been around for a while. I do have about 3 years research work experience (2 in the lab, 1 as a nurse) but I have no clinical management experience. I'd assume they wouldn't want to waste time trying to recruit someone who's not qualified, right? Or is it more like, just contact everybody and see who responds?
I've sometimes gotten contacts like that off of resume posting sites. Seems to typically be some HR person that found some similar sounding keywords or an external recruiter that's wildly optimistic about what you've done since your last resume update.

There's not any harm in talking to them, just don't take the idea that you're a shoe-in at face value. Expect you may be doing a line by line justification of why you're qualified to somebody with a layman's understanding of the position based off the same job description you're working with and prepare accordingly.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
Are pictures mandatory? I'm a college student looking for internships, and to be frank, am pretty worried that my appearance would be a huge negative in the job search. Everyone says LinkedIn is important but the emphasis of having physical appearances on it is making me wary of setting one up.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Surely you can take a not awful picture of you in a nice shirt or suit in front of a wall. Even just a head shot will work.

How ugly are you?

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

SaltLick posted:

Surely you can take a not awful picture of you in a nice shirt or suit in front of a wall. Even just a head shot will work.

How ugly are you?
Pretty dang ugly.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
Get a distance shot of you at a meeting or something.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Shipon posted:

Pretty dang ugly.

You probably just need a haircut.

To YLLS you go!

But really just do a distance shot or a headshot in your best light/angle

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.
Just please god don't post a picture of you + other people.

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost
A guy a few degrees away from me is not wearing a shirt in his profile picture.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Boot and Rally posted:

A guy a few degrees away from me is not wearing a shirt in his profile picture.

These types serve best as unfortunate examples of humanity.

Unless you're a personal trainer, or Vladimir Putin, put a dang shirt on for your Linkedin picture, people. And really, if you fall into either of the previous categories, why the hell are you on Linkedin anyway?

Shipon posted:

Pretty dang ugly.

I refuse to believe that it is too much for you to get a haircut, shave and put on a nice suit for five minutes.

Yes a picture is the closest thing to mandatory as you can get on Linkedin. One of the themes of Linkedin success is making a personal connection with those doing the hiring, and that's quite difficult to do with a default faceless profile picture to make your messages look like a spammer.

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache
I'm a Philosophy PhD student who hasn't done much in the way of non-poo poo job work and am wondering how to flesh out my Linkedin to make it clear that I'm qualified to do more than read Kant (which I'm actually not really qualified to do, in any professional sense).

I was a philosophy/math double major as an undergrad and have done a bunch of graduate math/physics coursework since starting my PhD. No professional internships and no non-academic positions, although lots of teaching experience. However, short of listing something like "relevant coursework" which seems really tacky and desperate, all anyone is going to see is "Philosophy PhD" and few years as a Muay Thai trainer 5 or 6 years ago, and that isn't a totally accurate representation of the skillset I've acquired in grad school. Does anybody have suggestions for how to make it apparent that I'm slightly less useless than I initially appear?

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
I have a question about recruiters and getting recommendations from them. So I have connected with some recruiters, and I have encouraged them to ask for my resume (which I'm wondering why can't I just shove it in their 'hands' other than it seeming rude). One recruiter has asked for my resume and I'm going to start with a phone interview. So, at what point do I ask for a recommendation and what do I say when I should give one back? Also I feel like my search for appropriate groups is a hit or miss. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Grouco
Jan 13, 2005
I wouldn't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member.

Gregor Samsa posted:

I'm a Philosophy PhD student who hasn't done much in the way of non-poo poo job work and am wondering how to flesh out my Linkedin to make it clear that I'm qualified to do more than read Kant (which I'm actually not really qualified to do, in any professional sense).

I was a philosophy/math double major as an undergrad and have done a bunch of graduate math/physics coursework since starting my PhD. No professional internships and no non-academic positions, although lots of teaching experience. However, short of listing something like "relevant coursework" which seems really tacky and desperate, all anyone is going to see is "Philosophy PhD" and few years as a Muay Thai trainer 5 or 6 years ago, and that isn't a totally accurate representation of the skillset I've acquired in grad school. Does anybody have suggestions for how to make it apparent that I'm slightly less useless than I initially appear?

Have you TA'd, worked on faculty-led research projects, served on committees, spoke at/organized conferences, or reviewed journal articles? I have a BA/master's in a humanities field, and I think my LinkedIn is pretty decent, so I'd be happy to take a look at yours if you want to PM me.

Is LinkedIn actively used among Philosophers? I moved from academia to "corporate" so LinkedIn was a necessity, but I'm wondering if there are other folks in your field whose profiles you can use as inspiration? Sometime it's useful to see how other people present their experience, and it sheds new light on how you can similarly highlight your grad school skill set.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Gregor Samsa posted:

If you're in the more analytic side, you have the raw aptitude to be a very good data analyst, the problem is that any corporate person will see your CV and run for the hills. Teach yourself SQL and try to learn skills like R or Python. Start looking for opportunities along these lines.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

I have a question about recruiters and getting recommendations from them. So I have connected with some recruiters, and I have encouraged them to ask for my resume (which I'm wondering why can't I just shove it in their 'hands' other than it seeming rude). One recruiter has asked for my resume and I'm going to start with a phone interview. So, at what point do I ask for a recommendation and what do I say when I should give one back? Also I feel like my search for appropriate groups is a hit or miss. Does anyone have any suggestions?

This part of the OP needs a revision, as aside from needing recommendations for Linkedin to consider your profile "complete," I am unsure that recommendations actually provide any algorithmic leverage to your search visibility anymore.

That aside, it's a judgment call. Ask for it once you've worked with each other for some significant length of time on one engagement or on several smaller ones. I mean, turn it around for a moment and ask yourself, "at what point can I personally recommend this recruiter to others?" For some people that might be after you're employed. For others, it might be developing a pleasant working relationship despite working on a few placements that, while unsuccessful, were nonetheless painless and mutually appreciated by both sides.

If you can't think of anything to say (which I doubt is really the case if you're at the point where you'd consider asking for/giving a rec), a simple "FirstName was really pleasant and easy to work with! I would absolutely recommend them to others for their excellent attitude and work ethic!" would fit 100% of people and still be appreciated.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

Gregor Samsa posted:

Let me know what you find out in this search. I finished my PhD in philosophy this fall at a top 10 university but haven't had any luck on the academic job market. I'm beginning to look at what other options for employment are available to me and it seems that many of them require a Linkedin profile. I also have little relevant experience outside of academia, but it does seem like your math skills are more recently sharpened, something which should help you going forward.

EDIT: My current approach is in line with what Kim Jong Il suggested to you: I am working on my python skills and hoping that I might be able to get into scientific computing or machine learning.

CompeAnansi fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Feb 3, 2015

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Look at Wall Street. There are firms there who hire generally smart people and teach them the necessary technical skills. It's not quite as robust a job market as it was a few years back, but it does still exist.

Grouco
Jan 13, 2005
I wouldn't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member.
Got this message today from a "Business Development and Recruitment Executive" with "LION3000+" in their name.

quote:

Good morning Grouco,

I hope you are have had a fantastic weekend. Thank you for connecting with me here on LinkedIN and including me in your professional network.

I am wondering if you could grant me a few minutes of your time over the next couple of weeks to have a coffee and allow me to learn more about you and [company I work for].

Enjoy your week and I look forward to your response in this regard.

My best,

[Name]

She works for some recruiting agency in town that I've never heard of and has a typical "I am a TOP PERFORMER, my greatest success is my proven ability to generate new business through prospecting activities, referrals, and networking" profile... doesn't really seem like an authentic informational interview to me. She has nothing in her experience that relates to our companies industry...

wat do?

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

Grouco posted:

Got this message today from a "Business Development and Recruitment Executive" with "LION3000+" in their name.

She works for some recruiting agency in town that I've never heard of and has a typical "I am a TOP PERFORMER, my greatest success is my proven ability to generate new business through prospecting activities, referrals, and networking" profile... doesn't really seem like an authentic informational interview to me. She has nothing in her experience that relates to our companies industry...

wat do?

My MLM sense is tingling, but I'll defer to those with more experience than me.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

ultrafilter posted:

Look at Wall Street. There are firms there who hire generally smart people and teach them the necessary technical skills. It's not quite as robust a job market as it was a few years back, but it does still exist.

The problem is most HR people see Philosophy and fall back on dumb stereotypes that aren't true, when the truth is that (some) Philosophy is actually very academically rigorous, probably the most difficult of the humanities. Very interdisciplinary with social sciences, computer science, linguistics, statistics, economics, set theory, etc...

I was an undergrad at a top program and strongly considered grad school, but ultimately decided against it. I have hired a few undergrads as analysts and they were all very good fits, to the point where word got around and a few grad students contacted me with similar thoughts.

Kim Jong Il fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Feb 4, 2015

Veet Voojagig
Oct 15, 2012
I've been contacted with a rather unusual request. I have a BS in Molecular Biology and currently work in tech transfer for a major university in my country. I have about 2 years experience, 1 at this job and the other from internships at food companies.

Today I got a message from an HR director at a luxury goods holding company saying he viewed my profile and wanted to know if I would consider a career move to a Technical Service Director role. What do I make of this? I don't see how my profile would attract a luxury watch company, least of all for a technical role completely outside my area or level of experience. :confused:

On the upside this job probably pays about 4-5x what I currently make, and out of sheer curiosity I want to know more. Is it rude if I ask for more information when it's probably going to be a waste of their time?

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

Veet Voojagig posted:

I've been contacted with a rather unusual request. I have a BS in Molecular Biology and currently work in tech transfer for a major university in my country. I have about 2 years experience, 1 at this job and the other from internships at food companies.

Today I got a message from an HR director at a luxury goods holding company saying he viewed my profile and wanted to know if I would consider a career move to a Technical Service Director role. What do I make of this? I don't see how my profile would attract a luxury watch company, least of all for a technical role completely outside my area or level of experience. :confused:

On the upside this job probably pays about 4-5x what I currently make, and out of sheer curiosity I want to know more. Is it rude if I ask for more information when it's probably going to be a waste of their time?

No, they came to you. Furthermore, when job hunting you need only worry about what is a waste of your time, let the other person worry about their time. This is true of any hunting situation.

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache
Thanks for the feed back everybody. I had started learning Python already because it just seemed like an appropriate thing to do, or character building exercise, or whatever, but I think I'll start taking that more seriously now.

Grouco posted:

Is LinkedIn actively used among Philosophers? I moved from academia to "corporate" so LinkedIn was a necessity, but I'm wondering if there are other folks in your field whose profiles you can use as inspiration? Sometime it's useful to see how other people present their experience, and it sheds new light on how you can similarly highlight your grad school skill set.

CompeAnansi posted:

Let me know what you find out in this search. I finished my PhD in philosophy this fall at a top 10 university but haven't had any luck on the academic job market. I'm beginning to look at what other options for employment are available to me and it seems that many of them require a Linkedin profile. I also have little relevant experience outside of academia, but it does seem like your math skills are more recently sharpened, something which should help you going forward.

I'm not sure about how many philosophers are on Linkedin; I just created a profile and haven't done much with it yet. That said, this guy is basically my model: https://www.linkedin.com/pub/jeff-helzner/98/a54/109 He was on my dissertation committee before leaving for AIG. He's a nice guy and you shouldn't hesitate to get in touch with him if you'd like to get advice about transitioning out of academia. He also did a podcast on the topic here: http://www.gradsquare.com/blog. Lots of the other podcasts are good too.

As for places like Wall St., I'm at an Ivy that produces lots of Wall St. people (which can't hurt) but I suspect that Kim Jong Il is right about philosophy being a hindrance. Also, based on the people I've met from places like Goldman Sachs, I might be extremely unhappy there anyway.

Liam Emsa
Aug 21, 2014

Oh, god. I think I'm falling.
I just got sent this from some random guy:

quote:

Glad to connect. Based on your summary, I definitely wanted to reach out.

My wife and I are currently working with good friends of ours with the Extraordinary Group. We are doing some aggressive expansion to start 2015 and we're looking for prospects who are ambitious and have their eyes open for opportunities to increase their cash flow.

Would you fit that category or would you know anyone who does?

Generic sales job, right?

Bigfabdaddy
Aug 3, 2014

Heyyyyyyyyyyyyy!
Amazing OP. I honestly thought about setting all this info up along with a pic but now I must do it.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Liam Emsa posted:

I just got sent this from some random guy:

Generic sales job, right?

MLM.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
749 sweating goons in Stairmasters and I'm one of them. Hoo boy.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?
If anyone is doubting this thread, don't. LinkedIn is a drat job machine. The contract I'm on (that I got from LinkedIn) is up in 6 months so I started updating it, and my phone is now blowing up with both recruiters and actual company HR people getting me interviews.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

MrKatharsis posted:

749 sweating goons in Stairmasters and I'm one of them. Hoo boy.

I am not :( . Request is still pending, but I know it takes some time to respond and it's no rush. I recently found this thread and have started to build up a LinkedIn profile since I'm in the process of beginning a career change. I've just got to get some good pictures taken and then I'll begin connecting because I'm hoping to find myself in this position:

invision posted:

If anyone is doubting this thread, don't. LinkedIn is a drat job machine. The contract I'm on (that I got from LinkedIn) is up in 6 months so I started updating it, and my phone is now blowing up with both recruiters and actual company HR people getting me interviews.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
There are several companies, mainly consultancies ranging from sales to customer service, that employ philosophy doctors. This approach is starting to get some traction it seems because philosophers have trained minds for questioning why processes are the way they are, and hopefully provide insights that can be used to increase productivity, profits, work life balance, etc. The leader in this industry imo is Beyond Philosophy.

beyondphilosophy.com

Would recommend to Plato wannabes look up companies similar to them.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Approved several outstanding requests for Stairmasters. Despite the fact that I put it on Auto-Join, seems that if you have "few or no connections" you still need admin approval.

I am not such an active user of LinkedIn, so if you are one of the above people and in a rush to join the goon group drop me an email my username at Gmail and I can approve. Please also include an explanation of why you are such a goon that you can't find anyone you know on LinkedIn

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

invision posted:

Is this the sound of worlds colliding?

zmcnulty posted:

Approved several outstanding requests for Stairmasters. Despite the fact that I put it on Auto-Join, seems that if you have "few or no connections" you still need admin approval.

I am not such an active user of LinkedIn, so if you are one of the above people and in a rush to join the goon group drop me an email my username at Gmail and I can approve. Please also include an explanation of why you are such a goon that you can't find anyone you know on LinkedIn

Yes, same here. I tend to be sporadically active on Linkedin and join requests aren't something that shows up in the activity feed as "HEY DUMMY, DO THIS!" I really wish it would, rather than seeing a bunch of work anniversaries (that may or may not even be accurate) and poo poo like that.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

HiroProtagonist posted:

Is this the sound of worlds colliding?

Linkedin.mp4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsV500W4BHU

I swear that a recruiter just contacted me to apply for... my current position. lol. I guess I could train myself? (Not getting fired btw)

invision fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Mar 5, 2015

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
About two weeks ago the recruiter of a top notch corporation sent me a connection request in Linkedinout of the blue (I have been out of their industry for a while). I checked their vacancies webpage and I found they have recently published a 2-year training programme I'm hugely interested in, and this dude is the one in charge of it. I should apply and send him a message through Linkedin but I've never faced this kind of situation, any tips on how should I approach this?

Aqualung
Oct 10, 2005

Don't worry guys, Ron knows the guy who drives the crane.

Angry Lobster posted:

About two weeks ago the recruiter of a top notch corporation sent me a connection request in Linkedinout of the blue (I have been out of their industry for a while). I checked their vacancies webpage and I found they have recently published a 2-year training programme I'm hugely interested in, and this dude is the one in charge of it. I should apply and send him a message through Linkedin but I've never faced this kind of situation, any tips on how should I approach this?

Umm seriously just reach out to the guy? If he sent you a connection request, he thinks you are in some way useful to his organization so just reach out, show interest in the position & close with some tangible follow-up such as suggesting a phone call/meeting to move further, find out more information and see if you are a match.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

Angry Lobster posted:

Connect with him, and then send him an inmail asking about the position.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

How to burn down your linkedin in one easy step:
https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/never-work-agencies-recruiters-companies-use-them-wyatt-

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
You aren't really going to read that, are you? He's unironically wearing a yellow bow-tie.

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

This is an awful lot of butthurt generalizations without a lot of alternatives being offered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
I worked with a recruiter who met me at a coffee shop at like 9 in the evening to give me documents to sign and got me a job very quickly after 3 months of looking for a job without a single interview.

I'm okay with them.

(the documents were a release form to run a background check on me)

• Locked thread