Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Citizen Tayne posted:

I cannot imagine a use case for carrying around a Playstation controller and rubberbanding your phone to it that isn't better served with a more appropriate device.

Because a $30 GameKlip is a bad idea instead of buying a $200 Nvidia Shield? Even their wireless controller is like double the cost of a Klip.

Also, here's a use case: playing games more complex than Candy Crush. Physical buttons are nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Because a $30 GameKlip is a bad idea instead of buying a $200 Nvidia Shield? Even their wireless controller is like double the cost of a Klip.

Also, here's a use case: playing games more complex than Candy Crush. Physical buttons are nice.

There are already dedicated devices for playing games on the go: The PS Vita, Nintendo handhelds, etc.

Under what bizarre use case is attaching a wireless controller to your phone with a rubber band a better choice?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Citizen Tayne posted:

I cannot imagine a use case for carrying around a Playstation controller and rubberbanding your phone to it that isn't better served with a more appropriate device.

Computer is in the other room running Final Fantasy 14.
I want to do the Chocobo races or play Triple Triad in my bedroom or couch.

I already have a setup where I can PCoIP from my computer to phone.
Touchscreen doesn't really work, I might be able to get by with a trackball if I really wanted to go down that road.

A PS4 controller is natively supported by FF14 so I could potentially even do some of the simpler content.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

A PS4 controller is natively supported by FF14 so I could potentially even do some of the simpler content.

It plays really well streaming to the Shield! YMMV but WHM is very playable.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Citizen Tayne posted:

Under what bizarre use case is attaching a wireless controller to your phone with a rubber band a better choice?

No one's ever proposed that, yinzer.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Citizen Tayne posted:

A telephone is not a Playstation 3.

Well poo poo, I'm probably not getting those Blu-Rays I stuffed in the SD card slot back then.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Whizbang posted:

Well poo poo, I'm probably not getting those Blu-Rays I stuffed in the SD card slot back then.

I keep waving my Kinect at my Lumia and nothing happens, what the gently caress.

Edit: Citizen Tayne is trolling, btw. Every post he makes in this thread or the regular android thread is how phones should only be used for calls and text messages, and how everything else is wrong. Well, Facebook might be ok, he never specifically banned it. Please don't feed him, and especially don't quote him. Thanks.

Mooktastical fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Mar 4, 2015

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Is it wrong that I'd agree with him? I mean, I get that Sony thinks there's some kind of market for PlayStation games on a phone and who knows, maybe there is, but I would certainly hate to meet a person who genuinely believes hooking a console controller up to a telephone is in any way a useful or good idea.

It strikes me as a "because we can" idea rather than a "because we should" one and I can't help but think it's also dog whistle for "I'm playing pirated videogames because I'm not about to pay for anything."

Apr 7, 2003

Mooktastical posted:

I keep waving my Kinect at my Lumia and nothing happens, what the gently caress.

Edit: Citizen Tayne is trolling, btw. Every post he makes in this thread or the regular android thread is how phones should only be used for calls and text messages, and how everything else is wrong. Well, Facebook might be ok, he never specifically banned it. Please don't feed him, and especially don't quote him. Thanks.

I am absolutely not trolling. The phone UI and experience is created to do a very limited subset of things properly. Once you start trying to play video games with a bluetooth controller on your phone, or you start managing bittorrent streams on your phone, you have exceeded those design intentions.

I like playing old video games. I can play through MM1 on a Macbook Air, or I can play through it on a 4.3" android phone with a bluetooth keyboard and AnDosbox. Guess which experience is lovely garbage and which one is good?

If you think I'm trolling, you should probably think about how you (mis)use the technology in your life.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

LastInLine posted:

Is it wrong that I'd agree with him? I mean, I get that Sony thinks there's some kind of market for PlayStation games on a phone and who knows, maybe there is, but I would certainly hate to meet a person who genuinely believes hooking a console controller up to a telephone is in any way a useful or good idea.

It strikes me as a "because we can" idea rather than a "because we should" one and I can't help but think it's also dog whistle for "I'm playing pirated videogames because I'm not about to pay for anything."

Ah, yes, of course. You'd only ever want to play pirated games with a controller, after all.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

Citizen Tayne posted:

you have exceeded those design intentions.

Maybe you just have a design intention manifesto you'd like to post, it would save us time on this inane argument.

Apr 7, 2003

nocal posted:

Maybe you just have a design intention manifesto you'd like to post, it would save us time on this inane argument.

If you feel a need to tether a video game controller to a phone in public you're a loser, it isn't that complicated.

Apr 7, 2003

If you seriously want to retrogame, just buy a MacBook Air 11".

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

LastInLine posted:

Is that why Apple added explicit bluetooth controller support to iPad and iPhone? Their approval of emulators and pirated games?

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Citizen Tayne posted:

If you seriously want to retrogame, just buy a MacBook Air 11".

If you want to play games, just buy a $1000 computer instead of using the device you already have!!

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

Ah, yes, of course. You'd only ever want to play pirated games with a controller, after all.
I honestly don't know, I can't imagine why anyone would ever want a controller for an Android device. I mean that literally: I cannot imagine it.

Maybe there is a rich ecosystem of games from developers who all adopted a sensible and open standard for utilizing console game controllers on the myriad Android devices so they can sell their games for a nice, development-sustaining profit on the Play Store but I doubt it.

More likely, I'd guess, is that there are a few games here or there with hacked in controller support that are re-releases of old console games that aren't worth playing on your telephone as opposed to an actual portable game system. That and emulators which means you never have to pay for a game again. Gee, I wonder what the primary use case for it is?

Nintendo Kid posted:

Is that why Apple added explicit bluetooth controller support to iPad and iPhone? Their approval of emulators and pirated games?
They did it in an attempt to grow their ecosystem. I mean, that is the primary difference between the App Store and the Play Store: one has paying customers.

To tell the truth I don't see the point at all when FTP paygate poo poo dominates the way it does but I doubt I'm the target demographic for it. Which is kind of what I said, "I would certainly hate to meet a person who genuinely believes hooking a console controller up to a telephone is in any way a useful or good idea." Maybe others see it differently and maybe it can be done right but seeing what's out there right now I think it's obvious that time hasn't come yet.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

LastInLine posted:

I honestly don't know, I can't imagine why anyone would ever want a controller for an Android device. I mean that literally: I cannot imagine it.

That sounds like a personal shortcoming when I explicitly stated a use scenario that I had in mind where a controller would be useful.

To be honest, I'll probably be better off if I use a tablet , I'm doing research now to find a decently priced tablet that I has easy root instructions so that I can accomplish my goal.

Anyone have any experience rooting the Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 7.0 or getting it to work with a ps3 controller? I think this'll make for a good setup for playing video game cards while I take a poo poo.

Magog
Jan 9, 2010
"The phone UI and experience is created to do a very limited subset of things properly. Once you start trying to play video games with a bluetooth controller on your phone, or you start managing bittorrent streams on your phone, you have exceeded those design intentions. "

Oh sorry, I thought I bought an Android device in 2015, my mistake. :downs:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
What are those things that the phone UI is designed to do properly anyway?

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
The PlayStation controller thing for the phone lets you assign parts of the screen the controller will emulate touching. It made that contra remake actually enjoyable for me instead of frustrating. You can also combine this with TV out on a lot of phones.

I don't know why there are so many people hanging out in this thread to lambaste people for wanting to do things they're not personally interested in.

Apr 7, 2003

mobby_6kl posted:

What are those things that the phone UI is designed to do properly anyway?

Sadly, the phone UI is designed to let me see your posts.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Hey I'll be honest, i use a controller with my phone because even though i have a Vita, 3DS, and PSP Go, the phone is the best portable emulstor for all the old systems. :)

Apr 7, 2003

Medullah posted:

Hey I'll be honest, i use a controller with my phone because even though i have a Vita, 3DS, and PSP Go, the phone is the best portable emulstor for all the old systems. :)

So, piracy?

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
With limelight I can stream my steam library to my 10 inch tablet and play games anywhere in the house or put it up to my television so it works for me. Nice when I want to sit on the couch and play when the wife is watching some God awful TV.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

If you have to root your phone to do something, you've clearly exceeded its design constraints.

So I guess this is the appropriate thread for figuring out the best way to play your pirated NES games!

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
Literally playing Super Nintendo on my phone right now. It's pretty loving fun!

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

LastInLine posted:

They did it in an attempt to grow their ecosystem. I mean, that is the primary difference between the App Store and the Play Store: one has paying customers.

I see you've forgotten that iPhones are the ones that literally have multiple piracy stores.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Nintendo Kid posted:

I see you've forgotten that iPhones are the ones that literally have multiple piracy stores.

no i think he just remembers every time an app dev shows the percentages of paying customers between their android and IOS versions.

Boywunda
Jun 25, 2003

As a Nexus 5 stock user, I'm getting quite frustrated with the memory leaks on Android 5.0.1. Battery blows, Google Play Music constantly crashes, apps redraw, etc.. Until a fix is sent out, I'm going to try my hand at a custom ROM. What is the general consensus of a "good" custom ROM for the Nexus 5? Obviously the suggestions will be subjective, so please tell me why you like that particular ROM.

Thanks in advance!

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Citizen Tayne posted:

Sadly, the phone UI is designed to let me see your posts.

Riiiiight back at you.

Seriously, why do you give a poo poo? And beyond that, why do you prolong discussion of these topics for which you have such disdain?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

A Yolo Wizard posted:

no i think he just remembers every time an app dev shows the percentages of paying customers between their android and IOS versions.

Which couldn't possibly have anything to do with the fact you're way more likely to just straight up have an ad-supported free version on Android. :rolleyes:

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
"Android" also encompasses everything from some cheap piece of poo poo intended solely for third-world consumption to Nexuses and so on so it's not exactly surprising that, on balance, a smaller percentage of Android users buy stuff.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

"Android" also encompasses everything from some cheap piece of poo poo intended solely for third-world consumption to Nexuses and so on so it's not exactly surprising that, on balance, a smaller percentage of Android users buy stuff.

This is at least a major factor. There are hundreds if not thousands of models of Android devices that never have and never will see the Play Store. Other than Amazon's products none of those really have a properly competitive store where people can legitimately purchase the majority of the apps they might hear of. Of course those who own that kind of device aren't likely to be buying very much if they don't have any way to do it.

To truly compare apples to apples (heh) I'd say limit the comparison to the devices that generally match the iOS competition in pricing and features, plus limit to markets where both platforms' primary stores are available. Basically control for the kind of buyer and outside influences on the ability to purchase apps not directly related to the operating system. I'd bet for example that the piracy stats for the latest Nexus or Galaxy devices in the US market are a lot closer to the latest iPhones, where a model sold without Play Services in India or Russia probably has sky-high piracy rates.

Of course in the end one can't deny that piracy is a lot more user friendly on Android than it is on an iOS device because we're allowed to run whatever we want. It's basically like PC vs. consoles in that one side allows you to run whatever code you want, even if it might be doing something you shouldn't, where the other needs to be hacked to do anything it wasn't explicitly allowed to. As easy as jailbreaking iOS has been at times it's still nowhere close to as easy as going in to Settings and ticking a box. If you have a Nexus 6, an iPhone 6, and a computer with a pre-cracked download of some random app for each sitting on the desktop no matter what your technical skill level is you'll be able to have it running on the Nexus a lot faster.

That's a philosophical thing though, not a flaw in the platform. Allowing someone to run their own arbitrary binaries while not allowing them to run cracked apps is pretty much impossible, so you have to pick one side or the other.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I'm trying to follow some guides for rooting my Galaxy Tab 4. I apparently need some sort of program called ODIN.

Apologies if this is :filez:

Anyone know where I can find either a safe download or an MD5 so that I don't also get bonzi buddy?

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I'm trying to follow some guides for rooting my Galaxy Tab 4. I apparently need some sort of program called ODIN.

Apologies if this is :filez:

Anyone know where I can find either a safe download or an MD5 so that I don't also get bonzi buddy?

If you're following a guide on XDA I'd recommend using the version they link as certain revisions of your hardware will be bricked by using the wrong one.

What revision do you have? Also, (and I'm not trying to be rude) if you're not comfortable researching and using what are almost invariably somewhat questionable tools you're probably not going to have fun at this.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Blitter posted:

If you're following a guide on XDA I'd recommend using the version they link as certain revisions of your hardware will be bricked by using the wrong one.

What revision do you have? Also, (and I'm not trying to be rude) if you're not comfortable researching and using what are almost invariably somewhat questionable tools you're probably not going to have fun at this.

I've got a SM-T230NY (I think!)
I think the real challenge has been finding the right guide on XDA.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s3/development-i9305/recovery-i9305-cwm-philz-twrp-versions-t2694249

This looks close, so I think I'm going to start here, get everything lined up until I think I have everything in order and roll the dice.

I've got the correct TWRP for the Galaxy Tab 4 7.0
I've got ODIN 3.10 that I downloaded from an XDA guide. Guides for my specific model ask for 3.09 so I guess I'll keep looking.

After that I guess I need to get the superuser program.

I'm not really expecting to have "fun" but it's the kind of thing I just need to do sometimes since I work in technology.
I think I'm spoiled by virtual machines. If I gently caress up I just restore to snapshot or delete and try again.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I've got a SM-T230NY (I think!)
I think the real challenge has been finding the right guide on XDA.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s3/development-i9305/recovery-i9305-cwm-philz-twrp-versions-t2694249

This looks close, so I think I'm going to start here, get everything lined up until I think I have everything in order and roll the dice.

I've got the correct TWRP for the Galaxy Tab 4 7.0
I've got ODIN 3.10 that I downloaded from an XDA guide. Guides for my specific model ask for 3.09 so I guess I'll keep looking.

After that I guess I need to get the superuser program.

I'm not really expecting to have "fun" but it's the kind of thing I just need to do sometimes since I work in technology.
I think I'm spoiled by virtual machines. If I gently caress up I just restore to snapshot or delete and try again.

Uh the link you posted is for a Galaxy S3 i9305. It's a totally different piece of hardware.

I mean, why not follow http://forum.xda-developers.com/tab-4/general/root-galaxy-tab-4-7-t230-t2835264, which is actually for the T230's? It's got the correct 3.09 version of ODIN, TWRP, etc linked in the OP.

Googling galaxy tab 4 T230 xda returns that as the first entry.

Blitter fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Mar 6, 2015

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Blitter posted:

Uh the link you posted is for a Galaxy S3 i9305. It's a totally different piece of hardware.

I mean, why not follow http://forum.xda-developers.com/tab-4/general/root-galaxy-tab-4-7-t230-t2835264, which is actually for the T230's? It's got the correct 3.09 version of ODIN, TWRP, etc linked in the OP.

How was that hard to find for a guy that "works in technology"

God dammit that's the first thing that pops up in google when I type "ROOT FOR GALAXY TAB 4 7"

Edit:

I'm having a weird day I guess.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

Boywunda posted:

As a Nexus 5 stock user, I'm getting quite frustrated with the memory leaks on Android 5.0.1. Battery blows, Google Play Music constantly crashes, apps redraw, etc.. Until a fix is sent out, I'm going to try my hand at a custom ROM. What is the general consensus of a "good" custom ROM for the Nexus 5? Obviously the suggestions will be subjective, so please tell me why you like that particular ROM.

Thanks in advance!

I'm still on stock 5.0.1, but with ElementalX kernel, which has helped all of those issues for me except Google Play Music crashing, because I don't use that.

Developer's main site

XDA thread

I haven't seen a custom ROM I'd want to touch, yet, myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

Boywunda posted:

Thanks in advance!

Before you screw around with roms, why not try flashing the factory image?