Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

TEAYCHES posted:

war with iran is a non-option. no one will consider it. iran is not iraq. we deal with them and let them have nuclear technology or what? what's the actual threat? are we really going to invade iran?

don't advocate it, but tehran would fall in a few weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Volkerball posted:

any day now

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Venom Snake posted:

Iran also has hotter women than Israel, checkmate American foreign policy nerds.

I don't understand the structure of iranian government at all but I do know the persians produce and have always produced a lot of grade-A tail

I support the lifting of sanctions, the normalization of trade for free exchange of phone numbers goods and ideas

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Absurd Alhazred posted:

How could you sanction this cute Persian kitty?!

My cat is an Aegean cat, so she probably is going to war with a Persian at some point.

She's also a Hitler cat, so you know. Golden Dawn and all that.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Bush did 9/11

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Volkerball posted:

as iraq has shown, the length of time the capital/regime lasts has very little to do with the actual length of the war

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Venom Snake posted:

any day now

no i mean if we invaded them. it's not iraq, but it's also not russia. we couldn't occupy the country, but we could have khameinei living in a rat hole real quick.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Volkerball posted:

no i mean if we invaded them. it's not iraq, but it's also not russia. we couldn't occupy the country, but we could have khameinei living in a rat hole real quick.

I'd rather not have another imploded superating wound in the Middle East thanks.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Volkerball posted:

I was referencing Bibi's little spat about how war with Iran is going to happen any day now.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Raskolnikov38 posted:

sanctions are part of the diplomatic means. we're best buddies with the saudis, how's that push for western democratic ideals going?

sanctions are obviously not working. they didnt work with cuba, theyre not working with iran. how long are we going to have to gently caress this dog before someone pipes up that maybe soft exercise of power is worth a shot.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Volkerball posted:

technically we could do that now if there's a missile boat in the gulf at the moment

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Venom Snake posted:

Iran also has hotter women than Israel, checkmate American foreign policy nerds.

Israel has Iranian immigrants. :confused:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-Ouk6A9fd4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ihJVkdMkvA

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

The reason why we are negotiating with Iran like this is the reality that we are not going to invade Iran or even pretend that's an option.

Iran has almost 80 million people, three times that of Iraq, and a GDP of 370 billion. For a comparison, Pakistan has 196 million people. Their GDP is 243 million.

We cannot invade Iran. The reason they have a strong negotiating position is that we will not invade them. Imagine Iraq on such a higher shitshow level, something you cannot comprehend. No one is going to invade and occupy Iran, they already have that negotiating position.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

President Allen West will raise seven legions and march upon Ctesiphon

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

paranoid randroid posted:

sanctions are obviously not working. they didnt work with cuba, theyre not working with iran. how long are we going to have to gently caress this dog before someone pipes up that maybe soft exercise of power is worth a shot.

sanctions seem to have iran at the negotiating table at the moment. they can work when the thing they're supposed to accomplish actually has a possibility of happening, like using lifting them as a carrot to open talks instead of demanding a government abolish its self before we think of lifting them

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
D&D 2001: A Shitposting Odyssey

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Majorian posted:

I'd rather not have another imploded superating wound in the Middle East thanks.

i didn't advocate it. i'm just saying from a logistical standpoint, an iran war against the us would be very short and very one sided. whether an insurgency started after that would be irrelevant. if you wanted to go full blown neocon (which no one in this thread does), it'd be very easy to ruin the government and crush anything related to nuclear power, then stroll out and let whatever happens happen. a month, maybe 2 if you gave no fucks what happened after you left?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Absurd Alhazred posted:

How could you sanction this cute Persian kitty?!

that is one handsome cat

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Volkerball posted:

i didn't advocate it. i'm just saying from a logistical standpoint, an iran war against the us would be very short and very one sided. whether an insurgency started after that would be irrelevant. if you wanted to go full blown neocon (which no one in this thread does), it'd be very easy to ruin the government and crush anything related to nuclear power, then stroll out and let whatever happens happen. a month, maybe 2 if you gave no fucks what happened after you left?

you are retarded and have learned nothing from the last two decades of this insanity

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

PupsOfWar posted:

President Allen West will raise seven legions and march upon Ctesiphon

I would be okay with electing him if it meant he died of thirst alone in the desert.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

israels tail game would be pretty mediocre in general if yall had not imported all them Yopes

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

TEAYCHES posted:

you are retarded and have learned nothing from the last two decades of this insanity

you're not realizing that iraq was 2 separate wars. the 1st one against saddam and his regime was easy. the 2nd one, the insurgency, was the one that got us all hosed. iran's gdp and size and all that poo poo only pertains to the 1st war, and that ain't gonna cut it. the second war is optional.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

PupsOfWar posted:

israels tail game would be pretty mediocre in general if yall had not imported all them Yopes

Okay, I'm not really up to date on the hippest racial slurs, you're going to have to explain this one to me, my shikse.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

TEAYCHES posted:

he's not advocating that, he's saying the military might of the U.S. is such that if we went balls to wall we could defeat their military pretty quick while acknowledging that doing so would create an even bigger clusterfuck

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Volkerball posted:

In that situation, Clausewitz would argue that you should probably make sure you know what political goal you're seeking in Iran. And yes, I know you're not advocating it.:)

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Volkerball posted:

you're not realizing that iraq was 2 separate wars. the 1st one against saddam and his regime was easy. the 2nd one, the insurgency, was the one that got us all hosed. iran's gdp and size and all that poo poo only pertains to the 1st war, and that ain't gonna cut it. the second war is optional.

why do you think the second war is optional after an invasion

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Okay, I'm not really up to date on the hippest racial slurs, you're going to have to explain this one to me, my shikse.

it is the same reason yall keep tryin to lure american college students over there using debauched military sex parties

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Raskolnikov38 posted:

he's not advocating that, he's saying the military might of the U.S. is such that if we went balls to wall we could defeat their military pretty quick while acknowledging that doing so would create an even bigger clusterfuck

why even mention that

the u.s. could do that in a hundred different countries

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Israel decides to declare war on Iran to stop it's development of nuclear weapons. Bibi calls President Obama's office to ask for support only to be put on hold, and then transferred to a line that's nothing but every news report on Bibi campaigning for Mitt Romney on loop.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

TEAYCHES posted:

because if your goal is to just win the first war and not give a single gently caress about what happens after, it is optional

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

war with iran is not an option

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Raskolnikov38 posted:

yeah shermanizing poo poo remains an option if you're willing to straight up cause millions of civilian deaths yourself.

Badger of Basra posted:

why even mention that

the u.s. could do that in a hundred different countries

the us can do it in all countries, including itself.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Raskolnikov38 posted:

this. and if the us decided to not care one single bit about that clusterfuck, they could just withdraw all troops as soon as the government was overthrown and everything important was destroyed and call it a day. no more nuclear issue. but like all migf solutions, this has some serious side effects. but those side effects would be contained to the middle east, so some might not see them as side effects at all.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Badger of Basra posted:

why even mention that

because it relates to the point of Iran needing a bomb to defend itself?

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

all I know is I shore would not like to have to fight in the Zagros

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Nintendo Kid posted:

yeah shermanizing poo poo remains an option if you're willing to straight up cause millions of civilian deaths yourself.

Indeed-which is the only way you can pacify Iran. Unless you're Alexander obviously.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Majorian posted:

Indeed-which is the only way you can pacify Iran. Unless you're Alexander obviously.

i think alexander would recommend that obama decapitate the iranian state, install himself as emperor, and start a program of intermarriage between americans and persians, actually

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

TEAYCHES posted:

because the strategic goals of an iranian invasion

1. decimate the iranian government
2. destroy all nuclear infrastructure and send them technologically back to the stone age in that regard

don't necessitate an occupation. you can just leave after that, and america is safe from the radical ayatollah threat. if you don't think that's an option to some neocons, you might be in for some bad news in 2017.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Volkerball posted:

this. and if the us decided to not care one single bit about that clusterfuck, they could just withdraw all troops as soon as the government was overthrown and everything important was destroyed and call it a day. no more nuclear issue. but like all migf solutions, this has some serious side effects. but those side effects would be contained to the middle east, so some might not see them as side effects at all.

Mmmmm, would they actually be contained to the Middle East though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

paranoid randroid posted:

i think alexander would recommend that obama decapitate the iranian state, install himself as emperor, and start a program of intermarriage between americans and persians, actually

I would be very much on board with this. I would vote for any president that would get me a 9/10 Persian wife.

• Locked thread