Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
This season has sucked because nothing is happening (relative to what we have come to expect from the show). Season 1 had some bad episodes, but overall was a lot better than this season, which has easily been the worst so far.

Sara dies, Laurel takes up intro to vigilantism...and that is all we have. There has been zero character development other than Felicity flipping from being the lighthearted fun character, to this overly emotional, melodramatic anchor that is weighing everything down. Ra's barely even qualifies as the big bad guy of the season, when all he has done so far is show considerable restraint given what he is supposed to be. He wanted a mass murder brought to justice, then asked for the killer of one of his agents be turned over. The big stakes this season seems to be save Thea's life/conscience, which is incredibly tame given what is usually on the line. This used to be a show founded on the fact that there are consequences for everything, and this season has pretty much thrown that aspect out the window.

Unless DC have secretly planned for this final third of the season to be loaded with backdoor pilots and character introductions for their upcoming shows, I don't see how they salvage this season. Provoking Ra's to the point where Thea and Merlyn aren't the only ones threatened, then teaming up and beating him is going to be pretty dull. The other option seems to be that we get something completely nonsensical - on par with whatever is going on with Fish Mooney every week on Gotham.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Xtanstic posted:

Does Roy fit into the Robin archetype beyond the superficial comparisons? I like the little character moments between him and Ollie, like that time they had a late night dinner at Dig's and were each other's dates.
Roy is a sort of Dick Grayson/Jason Todd mix, yeah. And lately we can see that he's becoming more and more like Oliver/Bruce in demeanor and outlook (behold the way he speaks to Laurel, and also the fact that he's one of the few who actually see Oliver's point of view re: Thea). I imagine that much of his characterization drama going forward will be about whether it's good/bad to be too much like Oliver, whether he needs to break free into a stronger identity of his own, etc so forth.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Thea takes Ollie's plans to start and control a gang war and attempts to use them to clear up the Glades.

That would actually be rad as gently caress.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
They're internally calling the next villain "Damian Dark" and thus the internet has decided Ollie will be fighting a tween next season. Also someone's dying. My money's on Black Driver. :(

http://comicbook.com/2015/03/04/damian-wayne-rumored-for-arrow-villain/

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
According to the TVline source, it's probably this guy.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
E: ^^^ Oh poo poo, HIVE

TyrantWD posted:

This season has sucked because nothing is happening (relative to what we have come to expect from the show). Season 1 had some bad episodes, but overall was a lot better than this season, which has easily been the worst so far.

Sara dies, Laurel takes up intro to vigilantism...and that is all we have. There has been zero character development other than Felicity flipping from being the lighthearted fun character, to this overly emotional, melodramatic anchor that is weighing everything down. Ra's barely even qualifies as the big bad guy of the season, when all he has done so far is show considerable restraint given what he is supposed to be. He wanted a mass murder brought to justice, then asked for the killer of one of his agents be turned over. The big stakes this season seems to be save Thea's life/conscience, which is incredibly tame given what is usually on the line. This used to be a show founded on the fact that there are consequences for everything, and this season has pretty much thrown that aspect out the window.

Unless DC have secretly planned for this final third of the season to be loaded with backdoor pilots and character introductions for their upcoming shows, I don't see how they salvage this season. Provoking Ra's to the point where Thea and Merlyn aren't the only ones threatened, then teaming up and beating him is going to be pretty dull. The other option seems to be that we get something completely nonsensical - on par with whatever is going on with Fish Mooney every week on Gotham.

I don't really see it that way. I feel like the way the season has progressed, with Ray setting himself up to be a hero and an alternative to The Arrow while various factors - Thea, Merlyn, and Laurel being the notable ones - cause a lot of internal strife in Team Arrow (and with Ray going out there, possible literal fracturing of the team with Felicity leaving), and poo poo like Ra's's offer to Ollie, this season isn't really about an external threat the way the previous seasons were. In season 1 you had Merlyn and his Undertaking, season 2 was about Ollie's past coming back to haunt him with Slade's vengeful assault. With this season, the theoretical external threat comes from the League of Assassins, but instead of bringing their forces to bear (at least so far), Ra's asked Ollie to take his place. The way I see it, this season is a lot more personal: it's about the team, about The Arrow's role in the city, and the choices that Oliver makes - as contrasted to the choices Thea and Ray are making. This season is entirely about Oliver's personal arc, much more than the previous two seasons were.

King of Solomon fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Mar 4, 2015

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
Did anyone else get some hardcore Scandal flashbacks from Ray and Thea in the car outside the dead cop's house?

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart

BrianWilly posted:

According to the TVline source, it's probably this guy.

All those resources and connections and he's just shot to death by a caveman? Sweet.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Whizbang posted:

That would actually be rad as gently caress.

:ssh: It's the plot to Batman:Wargames

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

:ssh: It's the plot to Batman:Wargames

Yes, and it was rad as gently caress then too.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Chokes McGee posted:

Where's the fun? They should've worked through the whole tragic back story thing already :mad:

Flash is using up all the fun.

Keeku
Jun 3, 2005

I absolutely love this show and am still excited for it (and Flash) each week. Regardless, I'd have to agree this season feels weaker than the first two. I guess for me it's partly because I have no idea where they're going with the season's overall arc yet, so I may enjoy the season more overall in hindsight once the season is finished. I do think this season has had some pretty drat great moments though such as the Flash crossover, boxing glove arrow, Ollie vs Ras duel etc.

I think my biggest problem with this season is I really disliked how they handled Ollie's "death". It seems like the show got cold feet with that one and instead of embracing the lazarus pits at that moment they instead fell back on "just kidding he was okay after all".

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I think the problem with this season, beyond the obviously weaker flashbacks, is that it felt like it wasn't progressing much in the beginning."We have to find Sarah's killer!" next episode, "we still need to find Sarah's killer!" next episode, "we continue to need to find Sarah's killer!" and through it all, they made zero progress towards finding Sarah's killer.

But it's past that now and should be pretty good going forward.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

To me the season's big misstep was with the Ray Palmer storyline. Like, it was interesting when he came in as a foil to Ollie and it looked like he was going to tie directly into his arc and the legacy of his parents with the whole takeover/Star City thing, but then he just got shunted over to the wayside, just to show up in one scene an episode to have sexual tension with Felicity or to do something with his suit -- and that's basically all he's done this season. It's like how in Burn Notice you'd have a main plot and then some throwaway scene at the end of the episode to advance the big season metaplot, except Ray's not the main character so it feels totally disconnected

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

To me the season's big misstep was with the Ray Palmer storyline. Like, it was interesting when he came in as a foil to Ollie and it looked like he was going to tie directly into his arc and the legacy of his parents with the whole takeover/Star City thing, but then he just got shunted over to the wayside, just to show up in one scene an episode to have sexual tension with Felicity or to do something with his suit -- and that's basically all he's done this season. It's like how in Burn Notice you'd have a main plot and then some throwaway scene at the end of the episode to advance the big season metaplot, except Ray's not the main character so it feels totally disconnected

Bring him back to center stage in the story by having his first superhero outing with the suit be awesome and successful. Then the city loves and adores him. And he uses his wealth for good.

All while Oliver broods in the basement of his sister's club.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The suit's finally done, so that plotline should start tying into the main story now, but I basically agree there, if not in the precise details. I think he should have finished the suit either during the midseason finale, the episode immediately following it, or right at the end of the Brick three-parter.

That said, while I like this season a lot - I don't currently feel like it's better than Season 2, but large chunks of it are certainly on par, and it's definitely better than Season 1 - I feel like its biggest misstep is a failure to properly communicate itself.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

I think my main problem with this season is a combo of two things. The first is that there's too much hero stuff and not enough personal stuff. We're basically left with no regular human people at this point.

The second is that it seems like nothing is actually happening with the superhero stuff.

I guess the third is that Ollie dying fighting Ras was the incredible and then the events following that have been really boring and they didn't deal well with it at all.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

evenworse username posted:

Also bear in mind that when the chips were really down, Oliver did beat Merlyn. He had to cheat horrendously to do it, but he still got the result.

There's no such thing as cheating, only survival and death.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

BrianWilly posted:

If we kicked out everyone who ever called Laurel a horrible name I think this thread would be down to you and...possibly me, though I admit I may or may not have participated in Doritogate.

Yo! I'm pretty sure i never did. I don't like her mask and she sucks at fighting. But whatevs.

Hate watchers are like aids.

Crunk Abortion
Mar 5, 2009

Young based lord and I look like JESUS
I wonder what the situation is gonna look like when they kill Roy off in the season finale. Gotta say, I'm gonna miss having Colton Haynes around.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Like it's not going to be Felicity

Crunk Abortion
Mar 5, 2009

Young based lord and I look like JESUS

Bad Moon posted:

Emily Bett Rickards isn't the one getting fitted for a mask to take his character's job.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

Bad Moon posted:

In other words bring on Lady Shiva for Ollie. Oh and Cheshire for Roy tia.

If you're throwing Cheshire into the mix, you might as well bring out the best DC villain.

Sportsmaster :smug:

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Bad Moon posted:

You could see that tumblr explosion from space

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

PowerBeard posted:

If you're throwing Cheshire into the mix, you might as well bring out the best DC villain.

Sportsmaster is a master of all sports. Archery is a sport. Therefore, he's a master of archery. Repeat for target shooting, martial arts, etc.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

PowerBeard posted:

I've been singing that song for a while now. They would be a dopest villains, i can't think of anyone who could play him though. Lady Shiva, Cheshire, Sportsmaster, Bring Guardian in as Roy's long lost uncle. It'll be amazing.

Thea in battle mode with Cheshire, Laurel getting some League training.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer
Elias Koteas as Sportsmaster.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

The pacing has been terrible, largely because Oliver and team haven't actually had someone to punch in the face. Even before season 2 gave us Slade, we had Brother Blood running around. This year, we had "find Canary's killer" which led to "train/protect Thea" which led to... whatever else they've got coming.

Its all fundamentally passive, and backed up by the Hong Kong flashbacks feeling more like a stroll than a defining chapter in Oliver's life.

Ray feels disconnected from the show, but so does a LOT of the world. We had 12 episodes with next-to-no word on how Palmer industries is changing Starling, or even what Starling City is going through. And then the show veers off into that territory with Brick, and it doesn't feel like a fun return so much as a last ditch effort.

I don't buy for a second that these problems stem from Laurel et al. being let in on the secret. They instead stem from the writers really lacking one coherent thread to tie everything together. Season 2 also lost character arcs left and right for episodes at a time, but it could all be brought to Oliver and Slade.

I still like Arrow, and find it to be more enjoyable than The Flash. But I like angst and my superheroes grimmer and less smiley, so that's not a huge surprise.

I just think the show's writers had some really fun breakdowns for the season, got WAY too into outlining, and then fell down when it was time to turn that into a coherent and consistent show.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

boom boom boom posted:

I think the problem with this season, beyond the obviously weaker flashbacks, is that it felt like it wasn't progressing much in the beginning."We have to find Sarah's killer!" next episode, "we still need to find Sarah's killer!" next episode, "we continue to need to find Sarah's killer!" and through it all, they made zero progress towards finding Sarah's killer.

But it's past that now and should be pretty good going forward.

Finding Sara's killer sounds like a good half season long arch on paper, but there just wasn't enough mystery there to be remotely worthwhile. If it was more complicated they could have the cast gradually put together clues and close in to the killer, but there really wasn't anything to investigate. It had to be one of the already introduced significant characters so there was only 3-4 people it could feasibly be. So they just ended up writing a string of pointless red herrings that did nothing to hide the fact they were just marking time till the mid season finale reveal so the plot could finally start moving.

It was Komodo. I mean Roy. I mean ect. Combined with the weak flashbacks made the entire first half feel really shapeless. It's been a bit better since the break, other than walking back on Oliver getting stabbed in the lung.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's not so much Ray as it is Felicity.

They felt Felicity needed to have her own plot so they gave her Ray, instead of linking him to Oliver somehow. Ray would be fine if his story was integrated into the rest of the show.

This is why you don't listen to your fans.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

All that said, I'm curious about how Nyssa will handle Ra's decision to train Oliver.

I sense tension brewing! :dance:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

enraged_camel posted:

All that said, I'm curious about how Nyssa will handle Ra's decision to train Oliver.

I sense tension brewing! :dance:

She gotta do him and bear Ras a true heir.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

greatn posted:

She gotta do him and bear Ras a true heir.

Nyssa needs to bag herself another Lance sister so she and Ollie can be double Eskimo brothers.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Bad Moon posted:

Nyssa needs to bag herself another Lance sister so she and Ollie can be double Eskimo brothers.

Looks like she might get his sister.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

I agree with many of the criticisms of this season's pacing and overall plot - its just very slow and awkward, especially compared to last season. That being said, they've still put together a few amazing full on amazing episodes, even if those are more the exception than the rule this season.

Off the top of my head, The Brave and the Bold, The Climb and the most recent episode have all been very entertaining.

I'm hoping that in the future we look back on Season 3 of Arrow as an aberration, a hiccup in a strong show.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

http://www.comingsoon.net/tv/news/416203-promo-photos-from-episode-3-16-of-arrow-titled-the-offer

Set images for Episode 16

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

The Undertaking is actually happening right now in The Glades IRL thanks to a massive chemical fire at the port the show always like to film at

People in East Vancouver are ordered to stay inside.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
^^^
Merlyn! Ollie should have killed you in Season 1 :argh:

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer

Reverse Centaur posted:

The Undertaking is actually happening right now in The Glades IRL thanks to a massive chemical fire at the port the show always like to film at

People in East Vancouver are ordered to stay inside.

Eh, I agree with Merlyn about East Vancouver people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Whizbang posted:

Eh, I agree with Merlyn about East Vancouver people.

Me too. Maybe after half the city dies I can buy a house for less than $1,000,000.

hahahah hoohohohohoho heehehe yeah right

• Locked thread