Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Ensign Expendable posted:

You have two hand brakes, one per track. That's enough to do crazy poo poo like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfPj_8OSen0

Yeah, I've seen that video as well. So basically, tanks can lock the tracks and slide, but it's not the same as doing it in a car, because you can't pivot around the front wheels. Except Wargaming is modeling this as if they were cars.... (Or aren't they?)

primelaw posted:

So I bought a gaming laptop so I could play computer games easily while I'm away from home. This thing runs tanks better than my desktop. :wtc: wargaming

The Southern Dandy posted:

I did the same; my new laptop is a hoss!

Specs?

BadLlama posted:

Finally bought my t-34-2. Not exactly sure why. I guess its a nice small little tank with a big gun strap on it?

I played it for a bit with the 122, which makes it very much like the 34-3, but it's too much of a liability. Now I use the 100, which does make it an inferior Type 59, (which could be interpreted as a compliment,) however it is a much more well-rounded tank this way. It's less gimmicky now and I actually enjoy driving it. (In general I prefer to drive medium tanks.)

Lord of Garbagemen posted:

Quit tanks for good today, haven't played in a long time but feels good to finally be done with this poo poo game.

Can I have your stuff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Prav posted:

Pretty sure that's a quote directly from the patch notes.

Yeah I have absolutely no idea why they refuse to buff the 13 75. It barely performs like a T6 - and the gap between T6 and T7 LTs is huge.

13 75 is the trial one must go through to receive the 13 90, in much the same way as the Lorraine and the Bat.Chat

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

What's the wind-up time on that?

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Quit tanks for good today, haven't played in a long time but feels good to finally be done with this poo poo game.

Give me your tanks tia

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Atomizer posted:

I played it for a bit with the 122, which makes it very much like the 34-3, but it's too much of a liability. Now I use the 100, which does make it an inferior Type 59, (which could be interpreted as a compliment,) however it is a much more well-rounded tank this way. It's less gimmicky now and I actually enjoy driving it. (In general I prefer to drive medium tanks.)

The 100mm just felt way more reliable in that tank and made it a decent t8 medium.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

xthetenth posted:

Give 300 XP for watching a good player play a round. There, better earning for the bads and they might learn something.

Nah, they'll just bitch that the good player didn't go valley.

I think there should be a "final exam" on every tank before you can buy the next tier higher. Run through a simulation that makes a player demonstrate proper mechanics and situational awareness. The first few ranks can be dead simple left-click this tank stuff like the tutorial, then step up the requirements as a player heads up the tiers. Whatever you think about how good a metric WN8 is, having 100 WN8 shitlords at tier 9 doesn't help the game at all.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

saintonan posted:

The first few ranks can be dead simple left-click this tank stuff like the tutorial, then step up the requirements as a player heads up the tiers.

Maybe we could tie it to some kind of reward system. Perhaps with, iunno, rare premium tanks as the prize incentive?

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

Nordick posted:

So uh, the strongholds artillery strike thing seems to be quite something

:staredog:

Reminds me of when during last campaign when a bunch of the enemy IS-7 players decided to forget about arty safety and bunch up. (About 2:30 in=

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88ZccDTde1k

Rincewinds fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Mar 4, 2015

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Nordick posted:

Did you hit their base at the start of the match or something? Goddamn.

maev posted:

I will gladly take this for the ability to use Katyushas

Sadly it doesn't make that fearsome howling noise as your shells descend.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Do the Bulldogs usually get ignored in T10 if they let the bigger tanks engage first? I had ridiculous 1600+ damage matches with the stock gun back to back last night. Heavies ignored me and TDs were easy to flank.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

unlimited shrimp posted:

Do the Bulldogs usually get ignored in T10 if they let the bigger tanks engage first? I had ridiculous 1600+ damage matches with the stock gun back to back last night. Heavies ignored me and TDs were easy to flank.

No, it's something that happens occasionally to all light tanks, which is where you get any of your good games from. Otherwise most of the time a spotted Bulldog is a dead Bulldog rather quickly.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

saintonan posted:

Nah, they'll just bitch that the good player didn't go valley.

I think there should be a "final exam" on every tank before you can buy the next tier higher. Run through a simulation that makes a player demonstrate proper mechanics and situational awareness. The first few ranks can be dead simple left-click this tank stuff like the tutorial, then step up the requirements as a player heads up the tiers. Whatever you think about how good a metric WN8 is, having 100 WN8 shitlords at tier 9 doesn't help the game at all.

As someone who's learning, tutorials for XP and tests would be awesome. Also, Russia has the Tank Olympics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-gtT2zpSCw

:ussr:

For strongholds, is that something a player calls down or is it just random? Some pub matches have an "arty strike" that doesn't do anything except make pretty explosions.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

MoraleHazard posted:

For strongholds, is that something a player calls down or is it just random? Some pub matches have an "arty strike" that doesn't do anything except make pretty explosions.

The commander can call an air strike or an artillery strike. It works like a consumable, except instead of paying gold or credits, it costs stronghold resources to build.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Nordick posted:

They were camping. Didn't you see them all push camping? That's what they get.

Cardiac posted:

The T54E1 ended up pretty boring since most games were basically wait 35 s, clip an enemy tank in 7s, wait 35 s ad nauseaum until my HP or the enemies ran out. You need an absurd amount of damage in a tier10 game to ace that tank.

T54E1 is amazing. The "pen" is its problem, but trust me when I say it really is not a problem.

Truck Stop Daddy
Apr 17, 2013

A janitor cleans the bathroom

Muldoon
holy poo poo, the amx 30b model is the best one they've made so far. looks amazing

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Atal Vataman posted:

holy poo poo, the amx 30b model is the best one they've made so far. looks amazing

Oh wow that looks so much better with the proper coloring.

:shepspends:

I want.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Atal Vataman posted:

Not thrilled with the gigantic tumour.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Agrajag posted:

Not thrilled with the gigantic tumour.

With the wet cardboard armor it is going to have, I don't think the tumor is going to make that big of a difference.

Think of the Leopard 1, where is the weak spots on it? Everywhere.

Edit:

AMX 30b Prototype on the other hand looks Really nice.

Mesadoram fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Mar 4, 2015

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Mesadoram posted:

With the wet cardboard armor it is going to have, I don't think the tumor is going to make that big of a difference.

Think of the Leopard 1, where is the weak spots on it? Everywhere.

Eh, I mean the turret front is a thick and wide mantlet, teeny tiny cheeks, 80 mm autobounce roof and BAM HUGE CUPOLA. And even if the turret was as soft as the Leo's having a tumor sticking up really doesn't help when you're peeking over hilltops.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Atal Vataman posted:

:gizz: :gizz: :gizz: :gizz: :gizz: :gizz:

Needed to add a few more because drat that really is their best model so far.

Is free xping all the way past the 13 75 a reasonable thing to do? If I had to free xp one which would you do the 13 75 or the lorraine?

BadLlama fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Mar 4, 2015

srb
Jul 24, 2007
It wouldn't be French without one.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

srb posted:

It wouldn't be French without one.

True that.

srb
Jul 24, 2007

Finally.

Also serioustalk, the G1R looks like it's gonna be annoying as heck for tanks with low pen, look at all those weird angles for 60mm.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Ok that ammo box is going to drive me crazy, it's in the way of the left rangefinder.

srb posted:

Finally.

I'm a little bummed, I thought it looked cooler with them open.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

srb posted:

Also serioustalk, the G1R looks like it's gonna be annoying as heck for tanks with low pen, look at all those weird angles for 60mm.

It has a stupid loving box turret, a flat 'shoot me here' panel on the front hull, and you just know those tracks are going to be frontally pennable for damage Churchill style.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Nordick posted:

No delay between firing and hitting? :wtf: Wargaming

:hf:

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Hellsau posted:

It has a stupid loving box turret, a flat 'shoot me here' panel on the front hull, and you just know those tracks are going to be frontally pennable for damage Churchill style.

The old BDR isn't a very sturdy tank either, but at tier 5 there's no shortage of bad players.

One time an M3 Lee shot me in the track 30 times before getting killed by something else.

Prav posted:

Ok that ammo box is going to drive me crazy, it's in the way of the left rangefinder.

I hope that it counts as a module hitbox for both.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

I hope that it counts as a module hitbox for both.

Why would you wish that :ohdear:

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
Cold War era tanks really are the sexiest; Leopard PT, Leopard 1, STB-1, AMX 30 Prototype, AMX 30B.

Start around 2minutes in for french stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1xHGpVnsl8

Agrajag fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Mar 4, 2015

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Agrajag posted:

Cold War era tanks really are the sexiest; Leopard PT, Leopard 1, STB-1, AMX 30 Prototype, AMX 30B.

Start around 2minutes in for french stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1xHGpVnsl8

9.6 Reload for the AMX 30B? That seems a little too slow...

Edit something is not right, it's reload is suppose to be like 7.5. The Leo 1 has 7.34.

AMX 30B:
ROF: 7,03
Reload: 8,534

Leo 1:
ROF: 6.90 r/m
Reload: 8.70 s

Mesadoram fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Mar 4, 2015

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Telling customers how to solve world problems since 2001
Going all Atomizer!

primelaw posted:

So I bought a gaming laptop so I could play computer games easily while I'm away from home. This thing runs tanks better than my desktop. :wtc: wargaming

Running the same resolution on both?

Mesadoram posted:

I think the primary argument against -1/+1 is balancing issues. Certain tanks are GODLIKE at their tier, but become much less effective when introduced to higher tier tanks. But what do I know :shrug:.

I don 't really get that argument though. I mean, every loving tank is supposedly balanced to fit the tier it's put in. This is clearly what WG believes, as they buff/nerf tanks, so how can they use this as an argument against tightening the matchmaker further?

R. Mute posted:

Y'know, when I see you guys posting about team killing people I usually don't remember why anyone would do that. And then I have a game that makes me remember.

The M2, in case you were wondering. Although it should've been most of them.

Let's see here, your team did 9758 damage. Enemy team did 9444 damage. You have 1 tank left, a TD at that, and they have a medium and a heavy. Any idea what the remaining player's HP were? Because unless your SU was full and the enemy tanks nearly dead you got screwed over.

WayAbvPar posted:

I was blue in garage for several hours yesterday after some shitstain A) pulled in front me as I fired up the main road on Abbey 30 seconds into the match, then B) shot me, then C) shot me again and bounced, and then D) shot for a third time and missed me from literally 15 meters. I guess I should have just backed into the cap circle and let him kill me, but I was still holding out hopes of doing something useful that match.

Dude, the most useful thing you can do in any battle is getting a pubbie banned. If you have the chance, TAKE IT! gently caress everything else!

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Mesadoram posted:

9.6 Reload for the AMX 30B? That seems a little too slow...

Probably an old build, it got buffed from I think 10,2 secs base to 8,9, which puts it more or less on-par with the Patton and Leo. FTR: - reload time buffed from 9,781 to 8,534. That's with a 110% loader.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Valle posted:

I don 't really get that argument though. I mean, every loving tank is supposedly balanced to fit the tier it's put in. This is clearly what WG believes, as they buff/nerf tanks, so how can they use this as an argument against tightening the matchmaker further?

I really don't know. With the MOUNTAINS of cash they are making you would think they would hire more people to balance the game better.

But ya, the more I watch those French tank videos the more I think something is not right. Either it is a base crew or... I don't know.

Prav posted:

Probably an old build, it got buffed from I think 10,2 secs base to 8,9, which puts it more or less on-par with the Patton and Leo. FTR: - reload time buffed from 9,781 to 8,534. That's with a 110% loader.

I hope so :colbert:

Vorkosigan
Mar 28, 2012

Mesadoram posted:

I really don't know. With the MOUNTAINS of cash they are making you would think they would hire more people to balance the game better.

But ya, the more I watch those French tank videos the more I think something is not right. Either it is a base crew or... I don't know.

I hope so :colbert:

I've got ~600k converted, ready to get the 30B day one if the stats are good.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Vorkosigan posted:

I've got ~600k converted, ready to get the 30B day one if the stats are good.

I sadly do not have that much free xp saved :-(. I am going to grind through it like a peasant. Half way there in XP through the 13 90.

Edit: Also the AMX Proto looks really nice. Top guns stock ammo is ACPR, which is always a plus for me :)

Mesadoram fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Mar 4, 2015

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Valle posted:

Going all Atomizer!

Running the same resolution on both?

Tanks is heavily, heavily CPU dependent. An upgrade to your CPU will do substantially more than a graphics card update will.

I had an R9 290 with an i7 920...barely hit mid 40fps most of the time. Then I got an i5 4690? Now I'm looking at 60fps all of the time, period, at the same resolution.

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Urgh. I'm going to have to try that thing out on the test server. A good AMX-30 is probably the only way to get me playing World of Tanks again. Hopefully it'll be terrible.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Nerses IV posted:

Urgh. I'm going to have to try that thing out on the test server. A good AMX-30 is probably the only way to get me playing World of Tanks again. Hopefully it'll be terrible.

On the one hand it is French. On the other hand, it's a new tier ten and power creep exists.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Mesadoram posted:

T54E1 is amazing. The "pen" is its problem, but trust me when I say it really is not a problem.

What I meant to say was that I found the T54E1 kinda boring since you spend most of the battle waiting to clip some fool.

That this thing gets to see tier7 was just hilarious. On one occasion I clipped an AMX M4 45 30s into a battle on maximum draw range effectively ruining his match. Another time I hunted down the final full health T29 and clipped him with him completely unable to do anything to prevent it. The T54E1 was also great against wounded tier10 mediums where you just could run up and clip them with them only getting one shot off.
The fact that you need 4k+ damage in a tier10 game says everything about the power level of this tank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Cardiac posted:

What I meant to say was that I found the T54E1 kinda boring since you spend most of the battle waiting to clip some fool.

I find that autoloaders keep me in check. That time between reload lets me take a step back from my berserker rage tunnel vision and look at the map. I know that sounds like I am making an excuse for a flaw but it is true, I tend to do better in autoloaders because it forces me to not be hyper aggressive. But ya, waiting for reload can be boring. Make the best of it :unsmith:!