Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TarDolphinorShark
Sep 25, 2008

I have submitted your feedback boom boom boom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Yodzilla posted:

Another Philly game dev has launched their head-to-head card game Kickstarter! This time it's RESISTOR_ by Cardboard Fortress, a really goddamn fun hacking themed game. LIke for real I'm not a huge card game/tabletop guy but I absolutely love this game.

No kanji translations to get mad about with this one. :smug: If you go to PAX East you'll be able to this see game and the other I posted in the Indie Megabooth.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/933157520/resistor-hacking-on-the-brink-of-nuclear-destructi

I really goddamn dig the aesthetic for this.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

dirtycajun posted:

No really, I am an idiot trying to help my friends out. Nothing more.
This may help.

http://www.amazon.com/Wahl-79300-400-Color-Complete-Haircutting/dp/B000JNQSIQ/ref=zg_bs_3779071_2

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Aww man, I just thought of something that makes me wish I could spend 250 on that RESISTOR project, and see if I can ask them to inscribe the word 'hate' repeatedly on all the lighted circuits of one color.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

The Airborne game looks interesting, and I'll probably back since I'm a sucker for solo games. One thing you really REALLY should pass on is that the card icons need a border or they'll get lost in the art.

And did he use public domain WWII images and Photoshop them? It looks great, and it's a clever way to generate art on a budget.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Yodzilla posted:

Another Philly game dev has launched their head-to-head card game Kickstarter! This time it's RESISTOR_ by Cardboard Fortress, a really goddamn fun hacking themed game. LIke for real I'm not a huge card game/tabletop guy but I absolutely love this game.

No kanji translations to get mad about with this one. :smug: If you go to PAX East you'll be able to this see game and the other I posted in the Indie Megabooth.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/933157520/resistor-hacking-on-the-brink-of-nuclear-destructi

Oh boy, a single deck card game with 5 out of 5 Funs.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Countblanc posted:

And 5/5 downtime!

TarDolphinorShark
Sep 25, 2008

moths posted:

The Airborne game looks interesting, and I'll probably back since I'm a sucker for solo games. One thing you really REALLY should pass on is that the card icons need a border or they'll get lost in the art.

And did he use public domain WWII images and Photoshop them? It looks great, and it's a clever way to generate art on a budget.

I'll pass the feedback on. I'm not sure if the artist photoshopped or not so I can ask that as well.

Edit: they used pictures and reenactment friends as references but the artist did it all freehand.

TarDolphinorShark fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Mar 3, 2015

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

TarDolphinorShark posted:

Please accept this, as it is already out in the public eye from BGG.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgamedesigner/3355/aaron-lauster

5/5 would help this guy buy a hot dog stand

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Countblanc posted:

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

quote:

What would it mean if a game was a 0 fun and 5 in all the other categories?

Anyway, my concern here (with the "Resistor" game) wouldn't be any of those circles shown, but something more like replayability. This kind of combinatorial abstract is very easy to make "generally work", and very difficult to make "have interesting steps on the skill ladder". This is especially true when there's hidden information, a large branching factor, and when state tends to chain a long distance. The tendency is that there's few clear steps between "avoiding obvious blunders" and "calculating through a lot of possibilities", and that doesn't lead to a satisfying game once you've both got the bare basics down. You see these kinds of games all the time in programming competitions (eg. I've probably seen 100 similar games on TopCoder) but rarely do they work well with human players because often the only strategy that's really effective is "think out a lot of possible moves". To work best, an abstract needs "second layer" tactics - things like Pins and Forks in chess - but those tactics are hard to work in when the state branches so widely and so globally.

Maybe this is the exception, but I'd print and play 5 or 6 games before jumping in on this one.

dirtycajun
Aug 27, 2004

SUCKING DICKS AND SQUEEZING TITTIES
I don't spend much time thinking stuff through and tend to go gut instinct on most things. The game is still fun for me if that is any indication.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

dirtycajun posted:

I don't spend much time thinking stuff through and tend to go gut instinct on most things. The game is still fun for me if that is any indication.

If your avatar is accurate, that is a whole lot of instinct.

dirtycajun
Aug 27, 2004

Indolent Bastard posted:

If your avatar is accurate, that is a whole lot of instinct.

You have no idea.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Mehuyael posted:

Aww man, I just thought of something that makes me wish I could spend 250 on that RESISTOR project, and see if I can ask them to inscribe the word 'hate' repeatedly on all the lighted circuits of one color.

I thought similarly when I saw the big red M on one mainframe.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Jedit posted:

Never having heard of Midgard either until a friend backing the project told me about it, I couldn't say. It does mean Eric Lang has a track record as a designer and can be looked up, though.

Said track record includes Chaos in the Old World, which to me is a pretty drat good sign.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

malkav11 posted:

Said track record includes Chaos in the Old World, which to me is a pretty drat good sign.

Also XCOM: the Board Game, which people played last night at our group and liked, Quarriors, and all FFG's LCGs apart from LOTR.

The KS for Boss Monster 2 is due next month. The first wasn't a great game, but it's an OK filler. I bring it up mainly because they're auctioning the chance to name each of the four Dragon Bosses for a different charity.

quote:

The White Dragon: Our Cleric-themed dragon will raise funds for The Nature Conservancy. For more information on The Nature Conservancy's mission "to conserve the lands and waters on which all life depends," visit https://www.nature.org

The Blue Dragon: Our arcane dragon will raise funds for Worldbuilders. Founded by fantasy author Patrick Rothfuss, Worldbuilders raises funds for Heifer International, which seeks to eliminate hunger through sustainable agriculture and commerce. For more on Worldbuilders and Heifer, visit https://www.worldbuilders.org

The Black Dragon: Our Thief-slaying dragon will raise funds for Child's Play. Founded by the creators of Penny Arcade, Child's Play is dedicated to improving the lives of children with toys and games in hospitals and domestic violence support shelters. For more information, visit https://www.childsplaycharity.org

The Red Dragon: Our Fighter-luring dragon will raise funds for The Wounded Warrior Project, which exists to raise awareness and enlist the public's aid for the needs of injured service members. For more information, visit https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Jedit posted:

The KS for Boss Monster 2 is due next month. The first wasn't a great game, but it's an OK filler. I bring it up mainly because they're auctioning the chance to name each of the four Dragon Bosses for a different charity.

If I'm not mistaken their digital version of the game is releasing fairly soon as well. While I was supremely disappointed in the game myself, I think as a quick-fix app it might be a lot more tolerable.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
nervemind

boom boom boom fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Mar 4, 2015

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Merauder posted:

If I'm not mistaken their digital version of the game is releasing fairly soon as well. While I was supremely disappointed in the game myself, I think as a quick-fix app it might be a lot more tolerable.

Yep, next week.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Anyone wanna give me a rundown of Wild West Exodus's rules quality? I really like the miniatures and there's a new kickstarter up for expansion dudes.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Ugh, Boss Monster was such a disappointment. The only winning move is not to play.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

I enjoyed Boss Monster enough that I don't regret backing it, but I also don't have the greatest taste in games. That said, I didn't enjoy it so much that I'm particularly interested in Kickstarting the sequel. I'll probably wait until finished to see if it's any better than the first.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

S.J. posted:

Ugh, Boss Monster was such a disappointment. The only winning move is not to play.

Incorrect, the winning move is to throw in $25 for a Kickstarter, then sell it for $90 on BGG. I doubt this will happen again though.

dirtycajun
Aug 27, 2004

RESISTOR_ got funded in 31 hours so that's cool. I have been pushing extra hard for stretch goal head shaving.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

signalnoise posted:

Anyone wanna give me a rundown of Wild West Exodus's rules quality? I really like the miniatures and there's a new kickstarter up for expansion dudes.

I haven't played, but the quickstart rules are here. Also, here are some thoughts and a game report.

I think the minis look great, and I do like the Wild West genre, but I think, for me, it would be another game to sit on the shelf because nobody around me plays. I kind of wish they did non-tech cowboy sculpts for the game, as I'd like to pick some up for general Wild West gaming. Good WW minis are hard to find and can be pretty expensive.

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Mar 5, 2015

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

GrandpaPants posted:

Incorrect, the winning move is to throw in $25 for a Kickstarter, then sell it for $90 on BGG. I doubt this will happen again though.

Yeah, that won't be an option with the 2nd KS most likely.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

S.J. posted:

Yeah, that won't be an option with the 2nd KS most likely.

You'd be amazed how many people miss their 2nd and even 3rd kicks at the can.

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

dirtycajun posted:

My friends have been working on a card game for a while now and it is finally ready to kickstart: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/933157520/resistor-hacking-on-the-brink-of-nuclear-destructi/description

RESISTOR_ is a really neat fast paced two player game of strategy where you are trying to stop the other player from launching a bunch of nuclear missiles and destroying the world. The videos for it do better justice, please consider backing.

I am dirt poor and working on my own KS but I will be backing this. It looks fantastic, and there is a dire need for fun 2 player games.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Cheap Shot posted:

there is a dire need for fun 2 player games.

What? This is probably the most saturated player count in boardgaming.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Cheap Shot posted:

I am dirt poor and working on my own KS but I will be backing this. It looks fantastic, and there is a dire need for fun 2 player games.

I can think of like a dozen off the top of my head

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Fungah! posted:

I can think of like a dozen off the top of my head

prove it

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

And then tell us what your hair looks like.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Twilight Struggle
Tash Kalar
Summoner Wars (although gently caress the dice in this one)
Dominion et al.
Temporum (although it's kind of hairy with two. still fun though)
X-Wing
Mage Knight (not as good as with 3-4, but still good)
Through the Ages
Mage Wars (Haven't played this one myself but i know literally no one who's played it who doesn't like it)
Guns of Gettysburg/Napoleon's Triumph (although gfl getting somone to play with you)
Netrunner

played a shitload of Race for the Galaxy with two and the double action variant, not sure how well it holds up though

that's like 13 right there

Evil Mastermind posted:

And then tell us what your hair looks like.

handsome

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Fungah! posted:

although
although
but
but
although
not sure

That's an awful lot of hedging there, buddy.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Bad Munki posted:

at least three of those are still good regardless of the hedging. also it literally doesn't matter because if you own dominion and some expansions, tash-kalar and twilight struggle you're basically set on two-player games for life, the rest of that list's gravy

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

I meant in my life but ok! Thank you for the suggestions.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

I've got more good or excellent two-player games than probably any one other number in my collection, and if you count games that are great with 2 while still being able to accomodate more, 2 is the absolute easiest number to find a game for.

As far as Resistor goes it looks, "meh". It seems to rely too much on memorization. Even in the playthrough video they're making mistakes due to misremembering.

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

Scyther posted:

I've got more good or excellent two-player games than probably any one other number in my collection, and if you count games that are great with 2 while still being able to accomodate more, 2 is the absolute easiest number to find a game for.

As far as Resistor goes it looks, "meh". It seems to rely too much on memorization. Even in the playthrough video they're making mistakes due to misremembering.

Oh really? drat. That would be terrible for me then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Bad Munki posted:

No hedges:

Twilight Struggle
Tash Kalar
Mage Knight
Netrunner
WH40k Conquest
LOTR LCG
MTG
Chess
Go
Duel of Ages
Theseus: The Dark Orbit
Mage Wars
Summoner Wars
Sellswords
Pixel Tactics
BattleCON
Yomi
Eldritch Horror (playing 2 investigators each)
Tragedy Looper
Dungeon Twister
Earth Reborn
Carcassonne
Doomtown
Morels
Star Wars LCG
Warmachine
Innovation
The Command and Colors series games
HIve

There's no dearth of good 2p games, even accounting for individual taste in genre.

• Locked thread