Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
The number on Evolving Wilds is 248 out of 264, leaving room for 16 cards. I guess there could be 3 basic land arts, but since there are 5 basics there have to be exactly 5, 10, or 15 basics in the set. Khans had 4 of each art (20 cards), and FRF had 2 of each (10). I guess since Dragons is 5 smaller than Khans (264 vs 269) there are probably 3 arts, and I bet the other non-basic will be the third "of the Spirit Dragon" land to go with Tomb and Crucible. Throne Room?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Boco_T posted:

The number on Evolving Wilds is 248 out of 264, leaving room for 16 cards. I guess there could be 3 basic land arts, but since there are 5 basics there have to be exactly 5, 10, or 15 basics in the set. Khans had 4 of each art (20 cards), and FRF had 2 of each (10). I guess since Dragons is 5 smaller than Khans (264 vs 269) there are probably 3 arts, and I bet the other non-basic will be the third "of the Spirit Dragon" land to go with Tomb and Crucible. Throne Room?

I guess its possible there's only 2 of each land due to Fate Reforged having basic land, which I don't think they normally do for small sets.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
They haven't done the thing where all the dead dragons on the fetches are now alive, right? Kinda makes them an autoinclude imo.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Hmm so anyone know why Flusterstorm has spiked to 62 TCG low in the last day?

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
When we get the Arcana article that tells us how many Basics are in the set (or any article showing a non-basic in a slot we expected a Basic, like #252 or something) we'll know (roughly) how many non-basics are in the set but until then it's all wild speculation.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

mcmagic posted:

It's either a meta shift, a "price correction" :can:, or rampant speculation.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Angry Grimace posted:

Well, obviously, you are smarter and better at Magic than I am; I imagine you are also better looking.

I will now (not) stop providing extensive reasons why this card doesn't slot right into an already non-competitive deck.

You're right, it's more beneficial to the thread to actually discuss the merits (or lack thereof) of U/W Control.

In my opinion, U/W is still a perfectly viable color combination for control right now, but the biggest thing standing in its way was that U/B was just better. Narset (and maybe that new Command card) have the potential to tip that balance. U/W doesn't have access to the good removal and hand disruption that black provides, but it does get to play Elspeth, which is just a powerful enough catch-all card that it might be worth the trade off.

Narset fills the same slot Jace, AoT did in a lot of ways, and what Ashiok does right now in U/B, namely, drawing combat damage away from you and towards it, and providing incremental card advantage. You know how hard it is to kill Ashiok via pure combat damage if it comes down on T3. Narset is the same for T4. NO opponent will ignore Narset while she's on the board and they know you're playing control.

Narset's ceiling seems much higher than Ashiok or Jace, AoT, however. Using her -2 on ANY draw spell in your deck is insane (even Divination). The biggest liability with End Hostilities or Crux right now is that they deploy a big threat after you have to tap out for it on T5. Narset allows a sweeper effect 2 turns in a row, giving the control player time to untap and hold counterspells up, or just deploy Elspeth for defense. Her +1 will be just as good as Domri's +1 was in Standard, which was nuts. It also makes your fetches slightly better, as if you know your top card is a land, you can crack to not draw it next turn.

4 mana, starts at 7 loyalty, every ability is good. This card will make U/W Control A THING again.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Cernunnos posted:

When we get the Arcana article that tells us how many Basics are in the set (or any article showing a non-basic in a slot we expected a Basic, like #252 or something) we'll know (roughly) how many non-basics are in the set but until then it's all wild speculation.

Do we even get that before the whole set is spoiled? I thought they had that on the Tuesday before Prerelease?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

mcmagic posted:

LOL what. I only remembered them as $15 easy pickups and never cared beyond that. I have an extra 8 of these. Hello new boxing gloves and computer.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Zoness posted:

It's either a meta shift, a "price correction" :can:, or rampant speculation.

I hope it shows up on buylists. I have like 12.

Chill la Chill posted:

LOL what. I only remembered them as $15 easy pickups and never cared beyond that. I have an extra 8 of these. Hello new boxing gloves and computer.

How do you type with them on?

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Real question: why did they stop doing the orb of insight? That thing owned.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
I need someone to explain to me why Esper, or just U/B splash white for Narset, is so obviously a nonstarter. Is it literally just that the wedges have a triland and a shard doesn't?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

JerryLee posted:

I need someone to explain to me why Esper, or just U/B splash white for Narset, is so obviously a nonstarter. Is it literally just that the wedges have a triland and a shard doesn't?

IDK. You have 8 fetchlands for Esper plus 12 temples.... I have no idea why it's not viable. (thought I think Narset would be better in a Jeskai Control shell...)

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Snacksmaniac posted:

How do you type with them on?

I enable dictation LOL if you don't phone post.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

JerryLee posted:

The most common U/B variant is running 28 lands, and Fetchlands are lovely fixing if you can't get a shock off it. There's a reason U/B control was just trying to win without a Wrath at all prior to Crux getting printed, and a reason Esper Control was less popular than U/W control even when Shocks were in Standard.

Edit: Goddamn does this post have a lot of randomly capitalized words. It looks like a Jaden Smith Twitter post.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Mar 4, 2015

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Snacksmaniac posted:

If it is rampant speculation, which seems most likely, it will be impossible to move at the inflated price but will hold price memory and never see any movement at the goofy temporary inflation.

Remember when River of Tears and Secluded Glen were "$25"? :allears:

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
Hey DTK is an allied colored set and U/W are allied colors maybe we should see the whole set before we discuss the merits of this allied color control deck that doesn't currently exist but might after other allied cards are revealed.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

uggy posted:

Hey DTK is an allied colored set and U/W are allied colors maybe we should see the whole set before we discuss the merits of this allied color control deck that doesn't currently exist but might after other allied cards are revealed.

I have this alternate plan where we talk about Magic in the Magic thread and don't get worked up over the fact that something may make you wrong later. The color pie is so rarely broken you can usually predict accurately that neither white nor blue is getting Thoughtseize or Hero's Downfall. Obviously, I'll be wrong if a Sphinx's Revelation reprint shows up in DTK.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Mar 5, 2015

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Heh, on the topic of 4 cmc walkers that reminds me that people thought the Ajani and Jace were going to see real play.

Perhaps we can assemble the dreamtime combo of Jace, Ajani and Narset!

Also I wonder if the new Sarkhan (assuming it is him, and not just a sorcery with his face on it) will go back to RG. You know, to show he has come full circle?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Spiderdrake posted:

Heh, on the topic of 4 cmc walkers that reminds me that people thought the Ajani and Jace were going to see real play.

Perhaps we can assemble the dreamtime combo of Jace, Ajani and Narset!

Also I wonder if the new Sarkhan (assuming it is him, and not just a sorcery with his face on it) will go back to RG. You know, to show he has come full circle?
The big troll will be when that "new Sarkhan," is just a Form of the Dragon reprint. (yes, I know Sarkhan is already on a printing of FOTD)

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I mean I want a Form of the Dragon reprint.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

this will go great in my mono red edh deck

ScreamingNinja
Oct 2, 2004
An Awesome Dude
Hey not sure if this is the right board but i figured id ask since i couldnt find any other one. I was at a draft yesterday, and im just getting reacquainted with the game. Anyway i was playing some guy who wasnt paying attention and ended up drawing out hos entire library. On his final turn, with no cards in his library, he activated tasigurs ability which is: "Put the top two cards of your library into your graveyard, then return a nonland card of an opponent's choice from your graveyard to your hand."

My question is basically should he have been able to use the ability even though he had no cards to put into the graveyard.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

RME posted:

Norin the Wary DOES benefit from a 1 drop that bounces itself doesn't he!

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

RME posted:

I'm starting to suspect you don't actually have all these EDH decks.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ScreamingNinja posted:

Hey not sure if this is the right board but i figured id ask since i couldnt find any other one. I was at a draft yesterday, and im just getting reacquainted with the game. Anyway i was playing some guy who wasnt paying attention and ended up drawing out hos entire library. On his final turn, with no cards in his library, he activated tasigurs ability which is: "Put the top two cards of your library into your graveyard, then return a nonland card of an opponent's choice from your graveyard to your hand."

My question is basically should he have been able to use the ability even though he had no cards to put into the graveyard.

Putting two cards in your graveyard is not a cost or requirement to use Tasigur's ability. He can use the ability even with nothing to put into his graveyard; he doesn't lose because you have to actually attempt a draw from an empty library to lose.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

ScreamingNinja posted:

Yes. There's no conditionals there, and you don't put the cards into your graveyard as a cost, so it just does as much as it can.

ScreamingNinja
Oct 2, 2004
An Awesome Dude

Elyv posted:

Yes. There's no conditionals there, and you don't put the cards into your graveyard as a cost, so it just does as much as it can.

Thanks! I just wasnt sure. I still beat his rear end by making him draw down to nothing so i feel good. Love laying a good smack down, especially when the guy is talking poo poo just because im new.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Risen Executioner
Creature - Zombie Warrior
Risen Executioner can't block.
Other Zombie creatures you control get +1/+1.
You may cast Risen Executioner from your graveyard if you pay an additional (1) for each other creature card in your graveyard.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Attorney at Funk posted:

I wish someone had thought of a similar line of jokes about peoples niche decks before, but you have to hand it to him.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Angry Grimace posted:

Risen Executioner
You may cast Risen Executioner from your graveyard if you pay an additional (1) for each other creature card in your graveyard.

Random tribal lord at Mythic?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Hellsau posted:

Random tribal lord at Mythic?

Seems like a weird Sidisi, Brood Tyrant nonbo, although if *only* there was a way to get creature cards out of your Graveyard.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I really like the design on this. I probably wouldn't run it over any of the current one-drops that don't need any mana investment to have 2 power, but the way it can hit the board hard at any stage of the game and own planeswalkers is cool.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Angry Grimace posted:

The big troll will be when that "new Sarkhan," is just a Form of the Dragon reprint. (yes, I know Sarkhan is already on a printing of FOTD)
What about a reprint of the original Sarkhan Vol?

Also, re: Narset - I think she'll be absolutely insane in UW heroic but I don't know how UW heroic is doing overall. I see like 1-2 people playing it (or something like it) every week but that's it.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Yawgmoth posted:

What about a reprint of the original Sarkhan Vol?

Also, re: Narset - I think she'll be absolutely insane in UW heroic but I don't know how UW heroic is doing overall. I see like 1-2 people playing it (or something like it) every week but that's it.
I'm guessing a new Sarkhan that's original Sarkhan colors - no green walkers in this block at all.

It gets wrecked by Merciless Executioner in boards, which kind of keeps it down a bit.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

Risen Executioner

Like, I get that it interacts with Delve favorably but I'm really eh on this.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Attorney at Funk posted:

????

Angry Grimace posted:

Risen Executioner

this will go great in my zombie edh deck

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Really. I could see WUG Walkers that is just a reversion to the earlier Walker decks pre-Khans. Caryatid/Courser core with Ajani (Mentor), Narset, Elspeth, and Nissa. That sounds pretty loving scary, honestly.

Edit: Think of this.
Turn 1: Scryland
Turn 2: Caryatid
Turn 3: Narset (good luck killing her short of Downfall)
Turn 4: End Hostilities
Turn 5: (Rebound End Hostilities) Ajani/Nissa/Value Town
Turn 6: Break face

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Mar 5, 2015

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

forbidden lesbian posted:

Like, I get that it interacts with Delve favorably but I'm really eh on this.
I'm guessing the "exploit" is recasting him after using an Exploit ability, e.g. Sidisi-2 (who is also a Zombie).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

Risen Executioner
Huh, there hasn't been any tribal in Khans block other than Warriors and Dragons so far, right? Does this mean we might get a goblin lord? I'm really hoping

• Locked thread