Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

dsriggs posted:

you know that poo poo ain't real

But Matt Striker said... :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Listening to the newest lapsed fan (it grew on me and as did his Vince impression tangents) really drives home how loving bad he was.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Alain Post posted:

I love it because it's maybe the stupidest spot I've seen in my life

Google "Jeff hardy cage door stair bump gif" and tell me you can still say that.

thatguyclint
Apr 11, 2005
See, I didn't know that...ducks eat for free at Subway.

RBX posted:

Listening to the newest lapsed fan (it grew on me and as did his Vince impression tangents) really drives home how loving bad he was.

The Vince impressions are one of the few things (besides the Meltzer bits) that keep me coming back. I'm especially a fan of "Vince reading the paper" bits.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
Hahahaha the TNA section in the newest Observer

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Alain Post posted:

I love it because it's maybe the stupidest spot I've seen in my life

You didn't see Jeff Hardy in TNA, huh?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Daniel Bryan posted:

It's the soul of wit.

Eleanor Pwnsevelt
Dec 25, 2003

dsriggs posted:

you know that poo poo ain't real

strong style

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Daniel Bryan posted:

:allears:

I don't know why I laughed at that so much.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Chris Cash's long explanation:
http://www.pyroandballyhoo.com/wrestling/official-statement-pyroandballyhoo-com-closing-plus-explanation/

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

It all sounds reasonable enough, but 50/50 seems like such a dumb offer to me. As in that sounds way too generous. I know he's clearly done a lot of work behind the scenes, but Russo is the content driver and the reason people are coming there. He might as well have been winking when he said it would be a 50/50 split.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

"Big Dave" posted:

The show was haunted, [with] Gina Carano magically losing 1 ½ pounds by removing her underwear (what was she hiding?)

Oh Dave. :allears:

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Daniel Bryan posted:

That's the whole thing.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

DrVenkman posted:

It all sounds reasonable enough, but 50/50 seems like such a dumb offer to me. As in that sounds way too generous. I know he's clearly done a lot of work behind the scenes, but Russo is the content driver and the reason people are coming there. He might as well have been winking when he said it would be a 50/50 split.

We know it's you, Vince

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Mob posted:

We know it's you, Vince

Ha. It just seems like such an over the top gesture and I can see Russo saying "Bro listen, I swear to god I will split this down the middle with you 50/50". I mean I also don't understand how you don't get something like that in writing either. Though it was interesting to see what their subscription figures were like (800 people) considering that a lot of the comments on that site were saying that they were clearly catching up to Observer subscriptions.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Oh god, that Rusev/Axel/Cena scenario Bryan and Dave talked about today sounds scarily plausible.

Abrasive Obelisk
May 2, 2013

I joined th
ROVPACK IN THE HOOUUUUSE!
:vince:
he still knows...

Blasmeister posted:

Oh god, that Rusev/Axel/Cena scenario Bryan and Dave talked about today sounds scarily plausible.

The one that has Axel winning the US title?

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Abrasive Obelisk posted:

The one that has Axel winning the US title?

Yeah, it'd be such a WWE way of avoiding the 'problem' of having Cena with the US title/giving a storyline reason for Rusev to accept Cena's challenge. But I'm not sure if they'd give away Rusev's 'streak' so close to giving it to Cena

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Taz weighed in on the Bill DeMott situation and it was a surprising contrast to Jericho's idiotic response. Taz has known Bill for 25 years, and I was a bit leery that he didn't want to condemn him without knowing more, but he also wouldn't defend Bill. Instead he talked about how wrestling training today is totally different and you can't expect people to put up with abuse as paying dues. Pretty interesting (and short) take on the subject that I didn't expect from such an old school dude.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Charles Gnarwin posted:

Taz weighed in on the Bill DeMott situation and it was a surprising contrast to Jericho's idiotic response. Taz has known Bill for 25 years, and I was a bit leery that he didn't want to condemn him without knowing more, but he also wouldn't defend Bill. Instead he talked about how wrestling training today is totally different and you can't expect people to put up with abuse as paying dues. Pretty interesting (and short) take on the subject that I didn't expect from such an old school dude.

Taz is probably guilty of everything DeMott is from back when he was running ECW's school.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Charles Gnarwin posted:

What was Jericho's response?

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Dave didn't see the YTR upset coming at all

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

LordPants posted:

He said that what he went through was worse so everyone complaining should just quit.

Luigi Thirty posted:

Taz is probably guilty of everything DeMott is from back when he was running ECW's school.

That's why I was so shocked to hear him outright say that the way he was trained and trained others was something that has no place in wrestling today.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..

Thauros posted:

Dave didn't see the YTR upset coming at all

I didn't end up submitting it, but my bracket for the Voices of Wrestling pick em had both Okada and Tanahashi losing in the first round. There was an element of wishful thinking to that so I don't want to act like I'm some super prescient genius, but given how the bracket was set up and the tournament's history of being wackily booked I don't think anyone should have written off the possibility of a low blow rollup finish (I missed the match but I assume that's what happened?)

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

LordPants posted:

which he then deleted.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Oh man Jericho. :rolleyes:

Charles Gnarwin posted:

That's why I was so shocked to hear him outright say that the way he was trained and trained others was something that has no place in wrestling today.

Yeah that's pretty cool.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Spermgod posted:

I didn't end up submitting it, but my bracket for the Voices of Wrestling pick em had both Okada and Tanahashi losing in the first round. There was an element of wishful thinking to that so I don't want to act like I'm some super prescient genius, but given how the bracket was set up and the tournament's history of being wackily booked I don't think anyone should have written off the possibility of a low blow rollup finish (I missed the match but I assume that's what happened?)

the low blow+ rollup happened earlier in the match and only got 2. YTR's whole offense consisted of his various wacky pinning combos and one eventually worked clean.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
he knows..
Huh well I sure as hell didn't see that coming

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Thauros posted:

NJPW stuff

For gently caress sake

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
drat I didn't have a chance to check out NJPW yet. Ah well.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

ICHIBAHN posted:

For gently caress sake

Oh poo poo, sorry about that. I know I got pissed off myself when I came across results from Osaka in a non NJPW related thread before I could watch it.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
When I don't want to get spoiled I avoid forums and Twitter period :shrug:

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.

Thauros posted:

Oh poo poo, sorry about that. I know I got pissed off myself when I came across results from Osaka in a non NJPW related thread before I could watch it.

They ain't spoilers after the show's aired, not your problem imo

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Spermgod posted:

When I don't want to get spoiled I avoid forums and Twitter period :shrug:

What else am I supposed to do at work all day???

I don't hold it against anyone, I just roll the dice and try to avoid threads where I think NJPW results will be discussed. Today I got a bad roll.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

triplexpac posted:

What else am I supposed to do at work all day???

I don't hold it against anyone, I just roll the dice and try to avoid threads where I think NJPW results will be discussed. Today I got a bad roll.

Shoulda spent more XP on your modifiers.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
So uh, I see that Chono vs Rude was voted Worst Match of the Year in the Observer years ago. That match sounds like it should be amazing. Was it really that bad?

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Capsaicin posted:

So uh, I see that Chono vs Rude was voted Worst Match of the Year in the Observer years ago. That match sounds like it should be amazing. Was it really that bad?

God loving awful.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2fnfrx_wcw-halloween-havoc-1992_sport

Jump an hour and 45 in.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Only now listening to the AOW with Buddy Landell and holy god it is one of the best/worst podcasts I've ever heard. I normally have zero interest in listening to old salty wrestlers talk about the business from a time when I wasn't watching, but this is great.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

drat. This is just going on and on and it's incredibly boring.

e: Haha the commentators.
"We don't do bodybuilding and posing; that's the other guys!"
*Rick Rude hits a move and swivels his hips*
"Haha, posing is great, I love when he poses!"

e2: That went on for like 30 minutes and the only amusing part was the Japanese referee beating everybody up.

Shine fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Mar 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Swerved again!!!!

quote:

A couple weeks ago, Vince and I took a trip to Los Angeles to cover Lucha Underground. And yes, that is ALL we were there to do. Meltzer got his stories dead wrong, and it’s truly a shame that someone IN the company was feeding him such BS. It came with the territory though when it involves Vince — 95% of the stuff reported on him..I’ve found to be biased and/or completely off the mark.

I digress.

I had one heck of a time getting back home due to weather. I was supposed to return on a Monday evening and didn’t make it home until Thursday afternoon. Needless to say, I had plenty of time to think about things as it pertained to my future — in general, and with this project.

By this point, Vince and I are ten months into this whole thing. We just surpassed 800 VIP members and we were on pace to hit our goal of 1,000 by WrestleMania.

When I finally returned, I sent Vince an email. That email outlined the three options I saw going forward for the site. Either:

a) We start taking the profit from the site each month and splitting it per our original agreement (this was strictly website revenue and did NOT include his outside sources of income. Several of which, I was solely responsible for setting up.)

b) He buy me out and move on without me.

Or c) We shut down new memberships and close one month later.

Did Vince take it as an ultimatum? Definitely. Was it one? Maybe. But either way, it’s what I needed to continue going forward. I’ve been working a full-time job during most of this process. I also had a family to support. And, most importantly, it was time that Vince truly commit to this partnership.

Immediately, due to Vince’s response to the email, it was clear we would no longer be able to continue as partners moving forward. He felt I was being “unsupportive”, which I found to be ironic that it came the day I just got back from a week-long trip to LA specifically for the website.

Either way, one of the things he said in the email made things very clear. He said:

“You’re not going to be into this until you’re making a certain amount. I UNDERSTAND THAT. I need somebody that is into this 100% of the time regardless. You are looking at money, I am looking at passion. Two total different things and that’s OK.”

I found that also to be ironic, and also very incorrect. I was the guy running things every step of the way for virtually nothing — for ten months. Vince was the one receiving 99% of the money and refusing to budge when it came to me finally getting fair compensation.

His statement honestly said it all. He wanted someone that would do all the work, for as long as it took, without blinking an eye. And while that is commonplace in the wrestling business — trust me, I’ve been involved in this type of stuff for eleven years now — I honestly didn’t expect it from Vince.

• Locked thread