Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

That's pretty cool, and sounds well researched. Why don't people over there know any of this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Nonsense posted:

That's pretty cool, and sounds well researched. Why don't people over there know any of this?

what do you mean?

Rosscifer
Aug 3, 2005

Patience

suboptimal posted:

"They are promising Nusra more support, i.e. money, supplies etc, once they let go of the Qaeda ties," the official said.

Interesting use of the word "more" before support. Are they admitting having funded them yet?

Rosscifer fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Mar 5, 2015

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Al-Saqr posted:

what do you mean?

I think he's implying that like, man, if these guys just realized they was all Ottoman bros they should get just get along you know?

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Scaramouche posted:

I think he's implying that like, man, if these guys just realized they was all Ottoman bros they should get just get along you know?

Erdogan puffs, and keeps puffing, and doesn't pass.

'I know man, right...we're like, a big family'

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

IS is just trying to get the family back together

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Makes sense if you think about it: you'd be paying worthless people worthless digital scrip to fight other even more worthless people.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

HGH posted:

Explosive overkill is what usually happens with these high priority targets. I remember seeing a graph for the amount of explosives used in different assassinations and such in Lebanon. The ones that had the most usually had 3 to 4 times more than the others.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Ottoman provinces shifted a fair amount, especially when the borders were just lines drawn across the desert. Also, for some reason I will never be able to understand, no two maps found online ever have quite the same borders, even if they're ostensibly for the same year. This one is from Wikipedia (don't ask me why it's in German):

This one is from some Armenian website:

Confusingly, all three maps are dated to 1900.

Anyway, if I'm reading them right the Sanjak of Zor/Dair Az Zor was split between Iraq and Syria. ISIS territory on this map would stretch from the eastern half of Aleppo province, to the western part of Mosul and Baghdad province, but its center is pretty firmly in Zor. I don't know how big a factor Sykes-Picot in particular was to the rise of ISIS, but the fact that the Sunni Arabs in Northeastern Syria and Western Iraq seem to have a lot more in common with each other than they do with the governments in Baghdad and Damascus certainly helps explain its geography.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Duckbag posted:

Ottoman provinces shifted a fair amount, especially when the borders were just lines drawn across the desert. Also, for some reason I will never be able to understand, no two maps found online ever have quite the same borders, even if they're ostensibly for the same year. This one is from Wikipedia (don't ask me why it's in German):

Anyway, if I'm reading them right the Sanjak of Zor/Dair Az Zor was split between Iraq and Syria. ISIS territory on this map would stretch from the eastern half of Aleppo province, to the western part of Mosul and Baghdad province, but its center is pretty firmly in Zor. I don't know how big a factor Sykes-Picot in particular was to the rise of ISIS, but the fact that the Sunni Arabs in Northeastern Syria and Western Iraq seem to have a lot more in common with each other than they do with the governments in Baghdad and Damascus certainly helps explain its geography.

Yeah, I just tried finding a map that was easy to read.

Dair As-Zor was kind of split between Iraq and Syria, with Syria receiving Dair As-Zor the only settlement of any significance in the province, and it was basically nothing but a village. I think Ar-Raqqah is within the old Aleppo vilayet, though I'm not sure since I can't find it on any, though I think it looks like it might be within Aleppo vilayet. Again, shifting borders, searching around led me to find out that it was used by the Ottomans to resettle Chechen and other Caucasian refugees, as well as once housing a Janissary garrison and a citadel.

To me though ISIS territory does seem to correspond somewhat, minus the Kurdish parts, with the area known as al-Jazira ("the island"), which is a region known for being the bread basket of Syria and the power base of medieval dynasties such as the Hamdanids and the Zengids.

Also if I remember it right Syrian nationalists, who began to emerge at the tail end of the 19th century, actually envisioned a much larger Syria, one that included parts of modern Turkey and Iraq. I'd say probably consisting of the provinces of Aleppo, Dair As-Zor, Mosul, Damascus Beirut and jerusalem. But then against this you got the Ottomans wanting to keep the empire together, Turkish nationalists wanting Anatolia, Palestinian nationalists developing an identity of their own separate from Syria, the British Raj wanting Iraq (at the very least Basra) to further secure their interests in the Red Sea (or something like that, anyway British Raj was interested in Iraq), Zionists wanting to settle in Palestine, British Egypt wanting to annex southern Palestine, ambitious Bedouin chiefs such as Prince Feisal and his father wanting to rule a united Arab kingdom of Greater Syria and Arabia, and France wanting to secure their economic interests in Syria (particularly Lebanon). Add all of this together and throw in two world wars and you end up with a hot mess.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

This is a couple of days old, but to the surprise of exactly loving no one, Egypt's parliamentary elections have been delayed:

quote:

(Reuters) - An Egyptian court on Tuesday deferred a long-awaited parliamentary election due in March indefinitely after another court declared the election law's provision on voting districts as unconstitutional, judicial sources said.

Egypt has been without a parliament since June 2012, when a court dissolved the democratically elected main chamber, reversing a major accomplishment of the 2011 uprising that toppled autocrat Hosni Mubarak.

This delay prolongs a period in which President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi has wielded sole legislative authority and slows Egypt's progress towards democracy since its first freely elected president was ousted by the army in 2013.

The decision by Egypt's Administrative Court came as expected after a ruling on Sunday by the Supreme Constitutional Court against an article on voting districts in an election law which heralded a likely delay to the poll.

The first phase of voting was due to begin on March 22.

The spokesman for the High Election Committee, which said on Sunday it was working on a new timetable, told Reuters on Tuesday a new date would be set after the law had been amended.

Sisi directed his government to change the law within one month. Analysts say it could be several months before elections were held.

According to one expert, Sunday's ruling requires the government to merge or create new voting districts so that each contains an equal number of voters.

"If we assume the legal committee finishes this work within one month, a new period for nominations will have to be opened, which will delay us about three months," Hassan Nafaa, a professor of political science at Cairo University, said.

The election is the final step in a political road map the army announced in July 2013. Egypt's leaders say the election shows their commitment to democracy but critics say Sisi, who as army chief toppled his predecessor, has undermined freedoms gained after the Arab Spring revolt.

"The final result is the same: no parliament, and the continuation of the executive enjoying legislative authority without any checks or balances," wrote H.A. Hellyer, associate fellow at the Royal United Services Institute, following Sunday's ruling.

Egypt is trying to burnish its image in the run-up to an investors' summit later this month which the government sees as key to turning around an economy battered by four years of political turmoil.

Ahmed Imam, member of the opposition Strong Egypt party which had announced it would boycott the election because it lacked credibility given a clampdown on political freedoms, said changes to the voting districts alone would not result in a fairer election.

Imam said that in order for the elections to be fair, no party should be excluded from running, the state should be neutral throughout and party lists, rather than individual candidates, should take precedence.

"Without these basic changes, whether the election is held now, a month or three months from now, the situation for us won't have changed."

Edit: whoa, Egypt's Interior Minister, Mohammed Ibrahim, has been sacked thanks to a cabinet reshuffle. Good riddance to that piece of poo poo.

pantslesswithwolves fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Mar 5, 2015

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
What do you even call this conflict now? 'The Syrian civil war' doesn't seem to cut it any more.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

At this point I think Egypt is still in a more progressive direction than Turkey's.

The war should be called Jericho's Disposition.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Grouchio posted:

At this point I think Egypt is still in a more progressive direction than Turkey's.

haha wut.

are you one of those psychos who think that totalitarian one-man military dictatorship is preferable to even a flawed democracy because preventing freedom of any kind is more progressive than allowing even a hint of possibility that a party you don't like reaches power through free and fair elections? all because of sloganeering for a 'secularism' that military generals dont apply in the first place?

I mean, you do know that the military fascists in Egypt appoint the religious leaders and regularly hand down marching orders for sermons to quell dissent and praise the general right?

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Mar 5, 2015

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Al-Saqr posted:

haha wut.

Turkey is on the road to merging mosque and state under a presidential dictatorship. Egypt maintains separation of religion from state through presidential dictatorship.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Darth Walrus posted:

What do you even call this conflict now? 'The Syrian civil war' doesn't seem to cut it any more.

The Levantine War?

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

Darth Walrus posted:

Gulf War 3: Jihad Harder.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Rincewinds posted:

Gulf War 3: Jihad Harder.

Jiharder

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

My Imaginary GF posted:

Turkey is on the road to merging mosque and state under a presidential dictatorship. Egypt maintains separation of religion from state through presidential dictatorship.
And personally that's all that matters to me when concerning an Islamic Nation. Democracy is still an alien concept to many in the levant.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Grouchio posted:

And personally that's all that matters to me when concerning an Islamic Nation. Democracy is still an alien concept to many in the levant.

oh ok you're a racist idiot with a particular hard on for oppressing brown people then.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014

Grouchio posted:

No wonder considering that people like you support their killers every time they try to achieve it.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Grouchio posted:

Agreed. The Arab Mohammedian, primitive as he may be, is truly happiest with a boot on his neck.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Grouchio posted:

I agree, although your phrasing is not up to the latest in cordiality.

What you need to discuss is the weakness of institutional safeguards to secure democracy and separate power from the direct will of the masses. For instance, a successful utilization of institutional mediation is the prohibition on polygamy in Jordan. While the masses would love 4 or 6 wives, the institutions in Jordan prevent polygamy from being legalized, which is all the better for the future security of the state.

One cannot develop institutional mediation to prevent democracy from falling into familial hands without banning polygamy, with the ban backed by the use of force when necessary.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Gee I don't know MIGF, what kind of impact does polygamy have on KSA's stability and future security?

Muffiner
Sep 16, 2009

My Imaginary GF posted:

I agree, although your phrasing is not up to the latest in cordiality.

What you need to discuss is the weakness of institutional safeguards to secure democracy and separate power from the direct will of the masses. For instance, a successful utilization of institutional mediation is the prohibition on polygamy in Jordan. While the masses would love 4 or 6 wives, the institutions in Jordan prevent polygamy from being legalized, which is all the better for the future security of the state.

One cannot develop institutional mediation to prevent democracy from falling into familial hands without banning polygamy, with the ban backed by the use of force when necessary.

An interesting insight, given that polygamy is legal and widespread in Jordan.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Muffiner posted:

An interesting insight, given that polygamy is legal and widespread in Jordan.

Well, it shouldn't be! You can't have real democracy and have polygamy.

Muffiner
Sep 16, 2009

My Imaginary GF posted:

Well, it shouldn't be! You can't have real democracy and have polygamy.

It's just not natural.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Out of curiosity, are there any Islamic countries where the religious restrictions on women are lighter/aren't actually applied? I remember reading a while ago in a newspaper article that the whole Niqab/Burqa thing is relatively recent (as in, last two hundred years or so), and mostly applied by extremely conservative regimes. As posters have said in this thread before, people aren't robots - there has to be some countries where they are more lax with its use/don't even use it.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Al-Saqr posted:

oh ok you're a racist idiot with a particular hard on for oppressing brown people then.
Hold on. This has NOTHING to do with race. This has to do with the fact that the majority of muslims in the Middle East (as Ted Talks put it) are very distrustful of democracy, seeing it as another tool for 'western imperialists'. Hence very few grassroots organizations. Hence the extreme insecurity of attempted democratic institutions in the region, prone to fall to either extremists or dictators. This has to do with battling religious extremism.

That is what I meant.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Azran posted:

Out of curiosity, are there any Islamic countries where the religious restrictions on women are lighter/aren't actually applied? I remember reading a while ago in a newspaper article that the whole Niqab/Burqa thing is relatively recent (as in, last two hundred years or so), and mostly applied by extremely conservative regimes. As posters have said in this thread before, people aren't robots - there has to be some countries where they are more lax with its use/don't even use it.

No one gives a poo poo in Indonesia.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Azran posted:

Moreso in SE Asia. Really in the Middle East this was true before about 40 years ago.

I have a Malaysian friend who until recently didn't wear the hijab at all and a bunch of her (Muslim) friends go out and drink whenever they meet up back at home.

computer parts fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Mar 5, 2015

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Azran posted:

Nor Lebanon, really. There are some neighborhoods in Beirut where most women wear a hijab, but no one really gets the side-eye for being unveiled there.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Not wearing it is more of the norm in Lebanon really. But is it right to call it an Islamic country? Sure they're a majority but still.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

HGH posted:

Not wearing it is more of the norm in Lebanon really. But is it right to call it an Islamic country? Sure they're a majority but still.

Well, first off, you're going to have to explain how you define an 'Islamic country'.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Azran posted:

It's definitely a mix in Iraqi/Syrian Kurdistan; some women wear a hijab, some don't:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCCODxq8diI
I think I've linked it before, but have an interesting 25 minute video with interview about life in YPJ.

Also, within living memory there's Iran in 60's and 70's:
http://imgur.com/a/psI0l

:sigh:
I get that there was the Islamic Revolution in 1979, but God it's depressing knowing that Iran once looked like that. Seriously, how the gently caress did everything change so fast, and so drastically?

quote:

The shah's government began its "White Revolution" in 1962 and ratified important women's rights measures, including suffrage and the Family Protection Law of 1967, later amended more heavily in favor of women in 1975, which ended extrajudicial divorce and restricted polygamy. It also raised the minimum age of marriage of girls to 18 that had been 13-15.
--
Within months of the founding of the Islamic Republic of Iran, the 1967 Family Protection Law was repealed; female government workers were forced to observe Islamic dress code; women were barred from becoming judges; beaches and sports were sex-segregated; the legal age of marriage for girls was reduced to 9 (later raised to 13); and married women were barred from attending regular schools.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

Grouchio posted:

Hold on. This has NOTHING to do with race. This has to do with the fact that the majority of muslims in the Middle East (as Ted Talks put it) are very distrustful of democracy, seeing it as another tool for 'western imperialists'. Hence very few grassroots organizations. Hence the extreme insecurity of attempted democratic institutions in the region, prone to fall to either extremists or dictators. This has to do with battling religious extremism.

That is what I meant.

See a 'secular' military coup is necessary because the religious moslems who hate democracy elected a religious person so the good and true military dictators had to step in and what the gently caress is this even trying to loving say please loving help me gently caress

fade5 posted:

It's definitely a mix in Iraqi/Syrian Kurdistan; some women wear a hijab, some don't:
I think I've linked it before, but have an interesting 25 minute video with interview about life in YPJ.

Also, within living memory there's Iran in 60's and 70's:

I get that there was the Islamic Revolution in 1979, but God it's depressing knowing that Iran once looked like that. Seriously, how the gently caress did everything change so fast, and so drastically?

Because lots of people in the middle east associate that stuff with brutal fascists because of shitfucks like grouchio.

Schizotek fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Mar 5, 2015

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Put these people in front of a house in Detroit and that's basically my mom's family in the 70s.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

fade5 posted:

because it's a natural ending to a dictator who with full support from the west destroyed any possibility for democracy and peaceful change in his country through a huge police state, and when the revolution kicked off he killed thousands of people with the army, leading to only the most radical people to end up being strong enough to take control once he hosed off.

gee I wonder what other countries in the region fit that description?!

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Mar 5, 2015

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
Was anyone following #TikritOp this morning? The Shia nationalist guy @SumerRising posted four pictures of Iranian flag draped coffins saying that they were Iranian soldiers who had died in the Tikrit battle, then rapidly retracted them because lol opsec I guess. I wish I'd screenshotted them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

Well, first off, you're going to have to explain how you define an 'Islamic country'.

Well Azran specified "islamic countries" but I'm not sure. It's just that there's so many Christians and different sects here, that have a major presence, and the way political positions are divided by sects, and movement towards more civil laws... I wasn't sure what to qualify it as.

• Locked thread