Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
To my defense it feels like there's not really a rhyme or reason to whether wotc decides to put on immediate returning vs end of turn returning onto a card.

I saw 4/4 and exile self on a spell cast and I immediately thought of Hikari, Twilight Guardian (man that card was sweet if also unplayable) and -then- aetherling. Then I did another read-through and realized that none of my dreams could come true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Angry Grimace posted:

Someone at Wizards has a huge loving hard-on for running a Kung-Fu Monks deck full of Mythics.

Kung-Fu Monks > Big dumb unplayable Dragons.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

That seems more toward the spectrum of bad since the flicker ability isn't til eot but also comes back tapped, but man oh man is it hard to win race if that monk goes active.

Entropic posted:

This is what spoiler season is for: reading all the cards really quickly and excitedly and getting the wrong assumptions out of the way now, so we're not doing it during the pre-release.
This!

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Seriously, you can curve out 2-3-4 with white human mythic monks (this is some Nissa/Hitler white privilege poo poo going on here)

This might be critical mass where such a deck is a good idea, even. Soulfire Grand Master - Monastery Mentor - Ojutai Exemplar as your 12 creatures. The rest of the deck are rebounds, cantrips and Raise the Alarm effects. And Narset :getin:

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Mar 5, 2015

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Get the gently caress in my Sisay EDH deck. Would I be crazy to replace Dosan with this since he eats a counter half the time anyway?

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Mar 5, 2015

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

quote:

Shikiri Raptor
1GG
Creature - Lizard Beast
Deathtouch

Whenever another permanent you control is turned face up, you may return Shikiri Raptor from the graveyard face up or face down.

Megamorph 4G (You may cast this card face down as a 2/2 creature for 3. Turn it face up any time for its megamorph cost and put a +1/+1 counter on it.)

So the phoenix turns over and suddenly raptors everywhere! I think this might actually be good? It's certainly cool anyway. Raptorvine.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Lets just give gnarled mass deathtouch because

I mean gnarled mass isn't constructed playable any more but goddamn thats a hell of a rider to stick on one.

Also how stupidly unbeatable is this thing in draft holy poo poo.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Spiderdrake posted:

So the phoenix turns over and suddenly raptors everywhere! I think this might actually be good? It's certainly cool anyway. Raptorvine.

Dredgevine if Dredgevine wasn't very scary because it requires a non-constructed level effect to work and again, I'm pretty slow to be excited about limited fodder at mythic.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Spiderdrake posted:

Throw that right into mono G devotion, holy moley.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I think Extemplars are perfect for RW Aggro.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I hope they put an uncommon build-morphs-around-me card like Secret Plans in this set.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Entropic posted:

My hope for the next year of standard is that there's an actually competive deck for which I'll be able to write "(Everybody Was) Kung Fu Fighting" as the deck name on a GPT deck registration sheet.

Then they just call it "Jeskai Monk Aggro" or whatever in the coverage

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Zoness posted:

Lets just give gnarled mass deathtouch because

I mean gnarled mass isn't constructed playable any more but goddamn thats a hell of a rider to stick on one.

Also how stupidly unbeatable is this thing in draft holy poo poo.

Its Mythic so your chances of ever seeing it are low. Unless its Ugin's Nexus all over again where they say its Mythic but you keep getting them.

Spiderdrake posted:

That seems more toward the spectrum of bad since the flicker ability isn't til eot but also comes back tapped, but man oh man is it hard to win race if that monk goes active.
This!

I think there's gonna be a U/W deck with a low creature count and a ton of cantrips and rebounds. See, that's the deck Narset goes in.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Mar 5, 2015

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Angry Grimace posted:

Its Mythic so your chances of ever seeing it are low. Unless its Ugin's Nexus all over again where they say its Mythic but you keep getting them.

I'm pretty sure Ugin's nexus is actually an uncommon with a printing error.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Spiderdrake posted:

This guy goes into Whisperwood/Mastery of the Unseen decks. And he will be loving disgusting in it.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

Someone at Wizards has a huge loving hard-on for running a Kung-Fu Monks deck full of Mythics.

"Everybody was Kung-Fu fighting, my paycheck goes as fast as lightning..."

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Spiderdrake posted:

The only explanation for the raptor looking like a weirdly mangled... idk thing... is that it has been reanimated too many times.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Spiderdrake posted:

And look at that goofy-rear end expression on its face!

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Zero_Grade posted:

And look at that goofy-rear end expression on its face!
Yeah his expression is completely "I'm back???"

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I love that he's an Ironclaw Orc, with an additional drawback and additional upside, for 1 mana less. I love callbacks to early Magic, even when they do things like Treasure Cruise.

The other cards spoiled today are all cards I'd be delighted to play in Limited, though I don't have any other decks to fit them into right now.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Cactrot posted:

I'm pretty sure Ugin's nexus is actually an uncommon with a printing error.

Speak for yourselves, I'm at 1 Ugin's Nexus, 3 Ugin, and 1 foil Ugin.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

New Dromolka cements me building Bant superfriends. It will like fold to everything but it will destroy UB control and that alone will be worth it.

Come on 1G ramp spell...

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
The raptor makes me consider playing those "reveal a card" morphers from khans.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Perfect in my dinosaur edh deck.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Angry Grimace posted:

I think there's gonna be a U/W deck with a low creature count and a ton of cantrips and rebounds. See, that's the deck Narset goes in.

There's mythics where if one is opened in the draft you have a 1/8 chance of seeing it because it's a snap first pick, and some where if one is opened in a draft you have an 8/8 chance of seeing it because it will table every time. Ugin's Nexus is in the latter category.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Entropic posted:

There's mythics where if one is opened in the draft you have a 1/8 chance of seeing it because it's a snap first pick, and some where if one is opened in a draft you have an 8/8 chance of seeing it because it will table every time. Ugin's Nexus is in the latter category.
:ssh: (we know that, its just a joke about how often you see the card in drafts despite being "mythic") :ssh:

mr. mephistopheles posted:

New Dromolka cements me building Bant superfriends. It will like fold to everything but it will destroy UB control and that alone will be worth it.

Come on 1G ramp spell...

Does it though? Seems like in a lot of control games, they'll have wiped your board on turn 5 and then have single target removal waiting on their turn 6, in which case Dromoka has done nothing.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
My favorite thing about Ugin's Nexus is that you can't even get an extra turn by casting two and Legend ruling one of them out. They couldn't have made it "whenever an opponent..."?

Although under the old Legend rule you would have got two extra turns that way.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Balon posted:

The raptor makes me consider playing those "reveal a card" morphers from khans.
Run Chromanticore to flip them all up at the same time! Value.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Still waiting on a dragon better than Stormbreath Dragon in this dragon set, WOTC. You're kind of running out of Mythic slots to put this mystery dragon in.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Spiderdrake posted:

Bring back the dinosaur type wizards

they weren't lizards you fucKS

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

New Drokoma is neat and will totally go into Scion of the Ur-Dragon. You know, like every dragon.

Zurgo is a really good one drop god drat.

The Raptor looks alright I guess.

I think Exemplars is going to make people really sad.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Count Bleck posted:

New Drokoma is neat and will totally go into Scion of the Ur-Dragon. You know, like every dragon.

Zurgo is a really good one drop god drat.

The Raptor looks alright I guess.

I think Exemplars is going to make people really sad.

Exemplars is actually worse than Mentor even though a lot of people poo poo on Mentor for being 2/2 and not pooping monks on his own. It costs 4 and doesn't trigger Prowess on any of your other guys. A much better play in that slot is probably just casting Narset.

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?

Entropic posted:

My favorite thing about Ugin's Nexus is that you can't even get an extra turn by casting two and Legend ruling one of them out. They couldn't have made it "whenever an opponent..."?

Although under the old Legend rule you would have got two extra turns that way.

The trick is to then shatter or naturalize the other one for maximum jank.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
If you listened to Red Hot Chili Peppers growing up and don't refer to a Monk tribal deck as Funky Monks then I will fight you.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

forbidden lesbian posted:

Bring back the dinosaur type wizards

they weren't lizards you fucKS

to keep in line with the flavor of reanimated dinosaurs wouldn't they also be part frog?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Angry Grimace posted:

Exemplars is actually worse than Mentor even though a lot of people poo poo on Mentor for being 2/2 and not pooping monks on his own. It costs 4 and doesn't trigger Prowess on any of your other guys. A much better play in that slot is probably just casting Narset.

Hey probably.

I'm not okay with all these mythic slots being filled with rare quality cards to be honest.

Just spoil Surrak the Hunt Caller already. Also the new Sarkhan.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Angry Grimace posted:

Does it though? Seems like in a lot of control games, they'll have wiped your board on turn 5 and then have single target removal waiting on their turn 6, in which case Dromoka has done nothing.

They have to cast the kill spell on their turn, which is not insignificant against a control deck. That can put them on the back foot for a while in the right situation.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Entropic posted:

My hope for the next year of standard is that there's an actually competive deck for which I'll be able to write "(Everybody Was) Kung Fu Fighting" as the deck name on a GPT deck registration sheet.

I was hoping for more good instant-speed spells to put in a deck built around Soulfire Grand Master, such that we could have "Grand Master Flash"

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Meatbag Esq. posted:

The trick is to then shatter or naturalize the other one for maximum jank.

The real trick is to play it with Goblin Welder and then pay R and tap it to take another turn and get back your scariest artifact creature that got put in your graveyard. Because you are all about that Daretti EDH life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

bhsman posted:

If you listened to Red Hot Chili Peppers growing up and don't refer to a Monk tribal deck as Funky Monks then I will fight you.

there are no monks in my hand

• Locked thread