Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
I would run 4-of Zurgo over my Firedancers honestly.

I'm gonna miss Crowd's Favor more than Foundry Street Denizen when M15 rotates personally. Also Satyr Hoplite, Titan's Strength, Dragon Mantle, Hammerhand, and Coordinated Assault.

Man my whole Sligh deck dies to rotation. I'll have to build a deck with a curve and poo poo. :smith:

Cernunnos fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Mar 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
All I'm saying is that Sligh is a junky gimmick deck for dirty poors who want to pick off a few unsuspecting schmoes in MODO 2-man queues don't shoot the messenger okay?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

On the plus side Anger of the Gods and Drown in Sorrow are rotating too, and there's currently no replacement in Khans that's remotely as good.

I mean, imagine not having to play around those. Every matchup would be like UW heroic

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

Angry Grimace posted:

All I'm saying is that Sligh is a junky gimmick deck for dirty poors who want to pick off a few unsuspecting schmoes in MODO 2-man queues don't shoot the messenger okay?

Someone's salty.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Rimusutera posted:

Someone's salty.

Gimmick deck player spotted.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Irony Be My Shield posted:

On the plus side Anger of the Gods and Drown in Sorrow are rotating too, and there's currently no replacement in Khans that's remotely as good.

I mean, imagine not having to play around those. Every matchup would be like UW heroic

There will be a new mini wrath in the first set post rotation.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Angry Grimace posted:

In the time it took for you to type this, I played my third land, cast Hordeling Outburst, and swung with a 4/1 Denizen and 2/3 Swiftspear.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Rimusutera posted:

Besides the "Guys, Isamaru was a 4x in Zoo" comments, the highest I've seen was 2x. And yeah, the logic is you can't play more than one.

What is statistical probability of drawing it every opening hand.

What is removal.

if you dash it has haste so obviously it's something you want late game and not early :downs:

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

bhsman posted:

In the time it took for you to type this, I played my third land, cast Hordeling Outburst, and swung with a 4/1 Denizen and 2/3 Swiftspear.

Cool is it okay if I play Drown in Sorrow now thanks (yes, I would love to scry this Siege Rhino to the top)

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Angry Grimace posted:

Sligh and RDW own and always have owned, haters vacate

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

bhsman posted:

Ok I block the swiftspear with my caryatid, you pass, I untap and play a scry land.

I stare at the top card of my deck for appears to be an eternity. I put it back. Then I drown in sorrows, and go back to staring at the top card of my library.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

I'm not exactly sure how sligh of all decks counts as a gimmick but I agree that a lot of cards from Theros/M15 hurt the deck pretty hard.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

Angry Grimace posted:

I play the more Midrangey RW. Nice try.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

There will be a new mini wrath in the first set post rotation.
True, but it seems unlikely they'll print two modern-quality ones at the same time again. And there's a pretty decent set of red creatures in Khans (Swiftspear, new Zurgo, two goblin generators, Heelcutter, Scout, maybe Lightning Berserker) so I'm not too worried about rotation.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
If you decide to play new Zurgo in your deck, of course you have to play at least 3x. He's so much worse anywhere but the opening hand.

But actually between him and Lightning Berserker, Mono-R is going to get pretty nuts when Dragons comes out. I'm thinking Dragon Fodder might even see some play, because Foundry Street into Fodder seems great.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Nice to see a shoutout to Ironclaw Orcs too, a weirdly iconic card in its own way.
Do you think Salt Road Ambushers looks OK as that? It seems like it would have been good in Khans but there'll be less unmorphing if the costs are this high.
Maybe. Drawing cards is better than getting extra counters, but on the other hand a beefy creature is better than an enchantment that does nothing on its own. Depends on the common morphs in the set and how good they are of course.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

qbert posted:

If you decide to play new Zurgo in your deck, of course you have to play at least 3x. He's so much worse anywhere but the opening hand.

But actually between him and Lightning Berserker, Mono-R is going to get pretty nuts when Dragons comes out.

Sligh's problem isn't the available card quality. Its that there's a shitload of answers to Mono-R.

I'm not saying Sligh will be uncompetitive - its Tier 2-3 competitive now - its that unless it finds a way to engineer turn 3 on the play kills, its entire game plan can repeatedly be disrupted by a single card and really, top tier red decks (R/W to be specific) can already interact with sligh before turn 3 by Slashing, Spraying and Striking.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Mar 5, 2015

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
... between Foundry Denizen, Scout, Heelcutter, Rabble and the two token generators, could we see a Obelisk of Urd Goblin deck?

gently caress it, I'll jam Zurgo in there and run it at FNM or something, just for shits and giggles.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Rimusutera posted:

... between Foundry Denizen, Scout, Heelcutter, Rabble and the two token generators, could we see a Obelisk of Urd Goblin deck?

gently caress it, I'll jam Zurgo in there and run it at FNM or something, just for shits and giggles.

but orcs arent goblins :(

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Angry Grimace posted:

Sligh's problem isn't the available card quality. Its that there's a shitload of answers to Mono-R.

The deck still wins A LOT. Also you're ignoring that the new good cards in question DODGE Drown in Sorrow and Anger.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Angry Grimace posted:

Cool is it okay if I play Drown in Sorrow now thanks (yes, I would love to scry this Siege Rhino to the top)

Woah man that sounds like a gimmicky deck for players with more money than skill.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

qbert posted:

The deck getting more good cards that can dodge Drown in Sorrow and Anger isn't worth discussing?

Back up the train there a bit, everything about Magic is worth discussion in the Magic topic.

Dash avoids Drown and Anger, but I think that's less of a benefit than you're imagining because dash actually sucks in a deck with 18 lands in it. You're not playing more threats than the opponent can deal with, you're playing one tiny threat over and over just to play around a single card.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Starving Autist posted:

Because you'd like to actually draw it in your opening hand in a decent number of games. You don't want 4, since drawing multiples sucks, but only having 1 isn't that great either since you won't get to open with it very much.

OH

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Angry Grimace posted:

Back up the train there a bit, everything about Magic is worth discussion in the Magic topic. Dash avoids Drown and Anger, but I think that's less of a benefit than you're imagining because the dash sucks in a deck with 18 lands in it.

I don't know how well you've kept up with the archetype, but I haven't seen a Mono-R deck play only 18 lands in a long time.

Secondly, if you're not trying to stifle discussion on the deck, then perhaps don't just reply with "whole deck dies to Drown, moving on".

You're treating Dash like either the pilot will play 1 creature the whole game, or vomit out their entire hand. It's actually possible to play strategically and offer enough threats early on that need to be answered with a Drown or they die, yet still hold back significant hasty threats post-wipe to finish them off.

qbert fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Mar 5, 2015

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

qbert posted:

I don't know how well you've kept up with the archetype, but I haven't seen a Mono-R deck play only 18 lands in a long time.

Secondly, if you're not trying to stifle discussion on the deck, then perhaps don't just reply with "whole deck dies to Drown, moving on".

Did someone confirm a stifle reprint?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

bhsman posted:

Woah man that sounds like a gimmicky deck for players with more money than skill.

Yes winning, truly the most gimmicky tactic of all

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

Rimusutera posted:

im going to do it and splash for jeskai ascendancy and attack for 20 on turn 4

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

qbert posted:

Making a legitimate point is not stifling a discussion, that's you getting angry that someone has a point you don't like.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I wonder when sligh started meaning "balls to the wall aggro deck". That wasn't what it was initially, the first successful build of sligh included brothers of fire and orcish artillery, and later builds had Cursed Scroll.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Zoness posted:

Did someone confirm a stifle reprint?

No but in a surprise twist, the next block is actually Half Life 3.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Elyv posted:

Cursed Scroll.
"Fireblast" before showing that both cards in his hand are Fireblast, a crucial midrange tactic in an era of ritual ritual hatred?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Elyv posted:

I wonder when sligh started meaning "balls to the wall aggro deck". That wasn't what it was initially, the first successful build of sligh included brothers of fire and orcish artillery, and later builds had Cursed Scroll.

There isn't a good standard burn deck anywhere that wouldn't run 4x Cursed Scroll if the option were there, that card is ludicrous for that style of deck

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
but you see it was a card made for bluffing

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Spiderdrake posted:

"Fireblast" before showing that both cards in his hand are Fireblast, a crucial midrange tactic in an era of ritual ritual hatred?

I remember Paul Cheon losing a streamed game by not knowing how Cursed Scroll works.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Mar 5, 2015

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Angry Grimace posted:

I seem to remember Paul Cheon losing a streamed game by not knowing how Cursed Scroll works.

cards work on modo?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Zoness posted:

cards work on modo?

He had one card in his hand and was trying to kill his opponent's Man-O-War so he named Man-O-War. LSV was on the stream commentating along with Paul and just said nothing and let him lose because, quote, "I didn't say anything because it was just too funny"

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
that is a masterstroke of flavor if not a masterstroke of actual card playing

he was playing the cursed scroll as a deathnote!!

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
animeeeee

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

Force of Will is going to slot right into my Torrent Elemental deck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Mr. Peepers posted:

Force of Will is going to slot right into my Torrent Elemental deck.

I can't wait to jam 4 Force of Will into my Siege Rhino deck

• Locked thread